Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jib

He has huge potential but that's ridiculous to say. Pogba has never had the potential to be that. He's not effective enough or complete enough as a player and I doubt he'll ever be. He can be among the top creative midfielders in the world. But when has Modric ever been close to a ballon d'or? Or Kroos? Pogba isn't close to those and never has been. De Bruyne is the best creative midfielder in the world this season and he's doing it by just being consistent and constantly making the right decisions to go along with the talent. Pogba looks for the highlights instead of making the right decisions and that has to change. But either way, De Bruyne won't win the Ballon D'Or over someone like Messi and it's stupid to think pogba can.

When Pogba played in Italy, he was a superstar. It's simply stupid to compare the hype and buzz around him at that time with Kroos, Modric or KDB.

Pogba had that aura around him, same for Neymar.

That why despite being injuried for 2 months in a crucial moment of the season, he was named in the UEFA XI and FIFA pro XI...

If Juventus would have won the CL with Pogba, he would have been ballon d'or.

But now with this weird choice of career, he lost that superstar status.

Vilev

Pogba can play in a midfield 3 and as LM
We had midfield three
Matic-Pogba
Lingard

He also tried the version of
xxxx - xxxx
Pogba

Not that he was effective in that. And what is LM? Do you mean like a LM in a 4-4-2 formation? Because you look at all modern team and nobody is playing that anymore. So LM means either left attacking position (Sanchez/Martial one), he can't play there. Or leftish CM in a 4-3-3 role. Which is exactly in "in a midfield 3". So basically you are saying that he can play only in one position.
Iniesta could play in attacking, AM role (Sanchez's), he played it for Spain, and deeper in midfield where he played for Barca.

Jib

We had midfield three
Matic-Pogba
Lingard

He also tried the version of
xxxx - xxxx
Pogba

Not that he was effective in that. And what is LM? Do you mean like a LM in a 4-4-2 formation? Because you look at all modern team and nobody is playing that anymore. So LM means either left attacking position (Sanchez/Martial one), he can't play there. Or leftish CM in a 4-3-3 role. Which is exactly in "in a midfield 3". So basically you are saying that he can play only in one position.
Iniesta could play in attacking, AM role (Sanchez's), he played it for Spain, and deeper in midfield where he played for Barca.
Midfield 3 is 433 or 352 not 4231. Pogba played in a midfield 2 yesterday ;)

Yep 442 ( Juventus february 2016 against Bayern, not long time ago...:lol: )

Last edited:

Vilev

Yep 442 ( Juventus february 2016 not long time ago...:lol: )
In what game was that exactly? It's not like i watched Juve every week, but i do watch Serie A, most of top games anyway and i've never seen Juve in that formation.

Midfield 3 is 433 or 352 not 4231
That's not true. Remember Arsenal game, it was 3-5-2 but it was the same midfield trio of Pog-Matic+Lingard.

Silas

In what game was that exactly? It's not like i watched Juve every week, but i do watch Serie A, most of top games anyway and i've never seen Juve in that formation.

That's not true. Remember Arsenal game, it was 3-5-2 but it was the same midfield trio of Pog-Matic+Lingard.
I'm fairly sure they used it in the later stages of the CL that season.

enigmista

Supports
Juventus
As a nostalgic Juventus supporter I follow Utd as much as I can to watch Paul. Lots of criticism here, however I would gladly give back the money you guys paid to have him back.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yet again another big game where he has failed to deliver. He really needs to put his stamp on one of the big matches and I'm not talking about the sort of stamp which got him sent off against Arsenal.

When he has peaked he might be more disciplined to play in a two man midfield but at the moment certainly not.

AngliaRed

Perhaps Jose knows Pogba would be suited to a left sided Midfield 3 but doesn't have the trust in Herrera or Fellani to carry out the role correctly. Im certain Jose knows how effective pogba was at Juventus and which position he was used.

Maybe even this would of been more solid last night...

...Martial...lukaku...Sanchez
.....pogba..Matic...Carrick
Young..jones.smalling.valencia

After last nights performance its easy to say pogba was lazy and undisciplined which he was, but its quite evident a holding midfield 2 isnt where he’s at his best which leads me to believe JM doesn’t trust Herrera or Fellani.

Canagel

As a nostalgic Juventus supporter I follow Utd as much as I can to watch Paul. Lots of criticism here, however I would gladly give back the money you guys paid to have him back.
It's just a bad reaction to 1 game. Pogba is our best outfield player and no United fan can tell you anything different. He's irreplaceable in this team and personally I wouldn't swap him for any midfielder in the world.

Vilev

I'm fairly sure they used it in the later stages of the CL that season.
So basically you mean in one game against Munich home, because i remember the Munich one, the 4-2. Pogba played in the middle in a CM/AM role and Juve was with 3 at the back, i remember it quite well because i was very skeptical about Evra CB position that day.
I kind of doubt Juve would play Pogba on the left side in a flat 4 midfield. But even if they did, that surely would be one-off. I seriously doubt he could play there. Actually a CM in a 4-2-3-1 is a better fit for him. But the team just needs to be balanced well. For example City played with Silva and KDB as a CMs, none of them are a CM, but because the defensive work is done by wingers, forward as well and because they all press high, they just need one real midfielder to cover for CBs in a DM role.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'll never understand why you would want to play your best player in anything other than his best position, everything should be built around getting the best out of him, why overcomplicate it.

XH6

Makes you realise how good Scholes was when the likes of Pogba, Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi etc couldn't play in a midfield two. Yet Scholes, the player that was also apparently rubbish defensively, played in a 2 man midfield in the PL.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Madrid and Bayern fans have said similar on here regarding Pogba. But you guys don't know anything about football or winning titles.:wenger:

Needham

Stunned this ever finished 1 - 1. At 60 mins Wenger was "hating every moment" of it. Fair play to Arsenal that night, for once they had some fight. Barca seemed to have 10 world class players.

Rasfene

Why blame pogba?

He's the most technically gifted midfielder. The problem lies with other players who cannot link up with him.

Just wondering why man utd go for lukaku/morata instead of Kane?

eat_grass

Very poor performance from Pogba. He played like he didn't even want to be on the pitch, making token efforts even while Sanchez was running himself ragged right next to him. Maybe he was thumbing his nose at Mourinho for not playing him higher up the pitch and instead asking him to team up with Matic to control the midfield. Worthy of the substitution.

Hawks2008

Why blame pogba?

He's the most technically gifted midfielder. The problem lies with other players who cannot link up with him.

No, the problem lies with him being utterly useless off the ball. No intensity, no tackling, no positional discipline. Even attack minded midfielders like Gerard and Lampard weren't such a liability when their teams weren't in possession. He was bossed and bullied by Moussa Dembele yesterday, a player most consider to be the lesser of the two players. We played all our best attacking players yesterday (Martial, Lingard, Sanchez) so how was the problem the others who he couldn't link up to?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De Bruyne (1.39) wins more tackles per 90 minutes than Pogba (1.19) does.

De Bruyne plays deeper and is defensively better than Pogba, which is very surprising. I thought that Pogba was more box-to-box between the two but apparently that’s not the case.

NK86

sell pogba and bring back cleverly. That will make caftards happy.
Each and every time there is a criticism of any player, you come out with daft statements like these which add nothing to the discussion. Why come here to post such nonsense if you have an issue with any criticism?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Makes you realise how good Scholes was when the likes of Pogba, Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi etc couldn't play in a midfield two. Yet Scholes, the player that was also apparently rubbish defensively, played in a 2 man midfield in the PL.
Pirlo won the World Cup in a midfield 2? :confused:

About Xavi, see above.

NK86

When Pogba played in Italy, he was a superstar. It's simply stupid to compare the hype and buzz around him at that time with Kroos, Modric or KDB.

Pogba had that aura around him, same for Neymar.

That why despite being injuried for 2 months in a crucial moment of the season, he was named in the UEFA XI and FIFA pro XI...

If Juventus would have won the CL with Pogba, he would have been ballon d'or.

But now with this weird choice of career, he lost that superstar status.
What do you mean by the bolded part?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
De Bruyne (1.39) wins more tackles per 90 minutes than Pogba (1.19) does.

De Bruyne plays deeper and is defensively better than Pogba, which is very surprising. I thought that Pogba was more box-to-box between the two but apparently that’s not the case.
KdB doesn't play deeper. Pep's play style means they are always on possession and team is in attacking third.

kr0nix

He looked very lethargic. I definitely feel he wasn't 100% fit, he looked very leggy especially in the build up to the OG

Ephrem

Why blame pogba?

Are you being serious ?

Ephrem

KdB doesn't play deeper. Pep's play style means they are always on possession and team is in attacking third.

He actually does...the difference is that he takes half of the time pogba takes to make a pass and makes more defensive contribution that Pogba does. He covers a lot of ground too and won the ball back by occupying in the right areas !!

roonster09

Scout
He actually does...the difference is that he takes half of the time pogba takes to make a pass and makes more defensive contribution that Pogba does. He covers a lot of ground too and won the ball back by occupying in the right areas !!
He doesn't. For example against Spurs, check their heat maps, pass maps, average position, touches. It's obvious who plays deeper.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need to build the team around him. He's great but also has his limitations and as long as Jose does not find a working plan against the big teams, the outcome will remain the same

roonster09

Scout
And even if Kane was available, he would have cost a lot more with him being English and a proven goalscorer. So many are fecking stupid tbh.
And he wouldn't even pick us, if he is on market Madird will make sure they will get him just like they did with Bale.

Ephrem

He doesn't. For example against Spurs, check their heat maps, pass maps, average position, touches. It's obvious who plays deeper.
Deeper may not be right word but he is being used as a hybrid. He will drop deeper when required and makes some ridiculous forward passes in a fraction of a second. I would say Pogba is actually a better passer of than KdB but Pogba needs to start playing them early and takes more control of the mid.

roonster09

Scout
Deeper may not be right word but he is being used as a hybrid. He will drop deeper when required and makes some ridiculous forward passes in a fraction of a second. I would say Pogba is actually a better passer of than KdB but Pogba needs to start playing them early and takes more control of the mid.
That's the difference isn't it, he drops deeper when needed, Pogba plays deeper and support the attack when needed.

Ephrem

That's the difference isn't it, he drops deeper when needed, Pogba plays deeper and support the attack when needed.
True. But his defensive contribution in utter garbage in most of the games...the game just bypasses him in the mid most of the times. He just need to show more fight, positional discipline and defensive responsibility.

I am just hoping Spurs game will be a wake up call to both Jose and Pogba.

Ardis

He will shine against Huddersfield, just like he did against Stoke. haha.

POF

Harsh but fair. What makes him a special player is his ability to create and be an imposing physical presence in midfield. That combination is rare and the reason he's potentially such a special player. Unfortunately, the second part of that equation involves the sort of defensive diligence and effort that often seems to go absent in games like last night.

If you were looking at signing someone for our team purely to create and score goals you sure as shit wouldn't pick a player who has averaged about 6 goals and 5 assists each season in his career to date, so why should Pogba have the luxury of being that player?
He doesn't really clearly do it though. He routinely lets opposition run into our box without even attempting to track. The most basic aspect of defending which he doesn't bother with. Instead he stands 20 yards up field watching do some stupid little jog which is really just him jumping up and down in the same spot.

He simply isn't one of the best in the world at attacking. There are a number of attacking midfielders who are more creative and have better output. Being able to also do some dirty work is what elevates him to the top level, without it he is lacking a bit.
Both of these posts sum it up perfectly. Pogba is perfectly capable of playing in a midfield 2. Maybe he would prefer to play in a position that gives him more freedom to attack and have 2 more defensive midfield players doing his leg work. But currently his decision making in the final third is atrocious and he is not productive enough to be an elite attacking player.

His capability as an elite player is his ability as an all rounder who can be solid defensively and add creativity to the attacking unit. There are very few players who can do that which is why he is such a special talent. United as an attacking unit has far more potential with Pogba in central midfield.

Irrespective of whether you believe he is best in a 2 or a 3, one thing is beyond debate. That was a huge game for the club in the context of this season and his effort levels defensively were abysmal. If the effort he put in was because he wants a more advanced role that is even worse. He is a leader in the squad and he needs to suck it up and do the job he is asked to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.