Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I know it’s not as simple as that either, so let’s not even address that bit seeing as we both agree. What we need is a top team. Because we not have another good midfielder creates no reason to usher out the other one. Finishing 4th is not an achievement. We want to be the best.

And you don’t seem very bored by the ‘circus’ at all tbh. The dislike for Pogba has been massively helpful for Bruno Fernandes in my opinion. Not that he should not be given long rope as a new player anyway, but he’s not a better midfielder than Pogba to me, although naturally, that’s the narrative everyone will run with, which in itself, is a large part of the ‘circus’. He hasn’t kicked a ball all season pretty much (although just long enough to show he’s a class player), but the constant conversation, the likes of Souness, Keane and Neville calling him out for little reason, the Sky Sports documentary they quickly whipped up because he missed a pen against Wolves - these are as contributory to any feeling of a circus as anything.

I honestly feel that players have different profiles and give off different vibes. And in the end, some players we ‘like’ and some we don’t so much. If you look at an ‘all touches’ video of all of Bruno’s games so far, for instance, and looked at it objectively - it is no better than what Pogba does. If he had missed his penalty against Watford, would there have been a massive fuss made about either his run-up, or the fact that he has just arrived and taken the pens off whoever had them before? Doubt it. Nor should there be, don’t get me wrong, as it would have been equally ridiculous. Martial and Pogba are always on the verge of ‘they can’t be bothered’. Other players ‘are entitled to have an off game’.

Also, in Pogba the footballer, I’m generally curious to read it in black and white so we know what we are saying here. And this is not just for you, but for all who have been peddling this narrative. How frequently would you say Pogba has a ‘bad game’ for us? Since he arrived I mean. Three in Four? One in four? Eight in Ten? Because I know what it reads like on here, but it’s all implicitly said and not explicitly. In my personal opinion, it’s massively overstated, so I’d like to hear it said straight so that it can be challenged directly if need be.
There's been over reactions on both sides, agreed, but if you think he's been the ultimate professional whilst being with us then I don't know what else to say. He's fully aware of the circus surrounding him and he could stop his brother and agent running their mouths every 2 mins in a heartbeat but he doesn't.

Sell him and buy somebody who actually wants to be here and give his all for the club. He doesn't. It's fairly obvious.

romufc

“After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well, I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else.

“I am thinking of this, to have a new challenge somewhere else.”

https://talksport.com/football/559145/manchester-united-transfer-paul-pogba-future-summer/
Oh no but that was last season.

Fans do not want to believe those quotes are naive.

Same window Raiola was quoted saying manutd know what the player wants. If he wanted to stay it would have been clear.

It is so clear he does not want to be here. Some fans will only believe it if he says it on sky sports or BT post match.

Hammondo

Whats that got to do with the point. You said with pogba there we wouldn't have won. But we have before so the point is completely mute.
That is a lie, I said we wouldnt have won with Pogba replacing Fred or Matic. Because we would have easily lost without those 2 supporting our midfield/defense.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
At the end of the day if Pogba had delivered consistently on the pitch for us nobody would be able to say anything. But he simply hasn't. It's always "but what if we can get the best out of him" I seem to find with our fans. Well but for Ole's brief purple patch as caretaker manager, I have yet to see Pogba play anywhere near like the potential he supposedly has. He's been a largely disappointing signing.

The Original

You can’t ignore the working off the ball part though as it’s just as important as what you do on the ball, Fernandes presses like mad, and Eriksen seems to world harder than Pogba did as well, so that in itself is a big deal unless you are one of the two players who can get away with it(Messi Ronaldo) I guess you can stretch that to the likes of Neymar and Hazard, but having a player who can be lazy off the ball is detrimental to the team unless he is literally putting up Messi’s numbers.

Agree with most of your post but that point you mention about off the ball work is a pretty big deal, Eriksens numbers were also as good as Pogbas, he doesn’t take penalties but key passes chances created assists and even goals were similar, apart from the season where Pogba scores a few penalties.
Pogba doesn't press, you say, yet when he plays he delivers among the best defensive records.
We are not in a situation to sign Pogba in summer without knowing whether he can fit with Bruno or not. If I am Ole, I would play Pogba with Bruno for few matches and see if they can gel together and make a decision to extend or not(If Pogba is keen to stay with us). Isn't it ?

End of the day, like everyone else I would prefer a fully committed and a humble player but if he is motivated enough then we can easily reach next level. If anyone is not sure just think about first15 matches post Jose sacking. Top class quality but he needs a bit of clever handling. so its for us to take that risk OR go for an alternative like Grealish.

He is still 26, so what about extending his contract and sell him a year later if there is no change to his mentality?

Only thing I am afraid of keeping him is the massive pay gap between him and other midfield players(it could be a disruptive thing in the dressing room to be honest), Imagine more commited players like SMT, Grealish, Fred, Matic and ,Bruno around 100K a week but Pogba on a new contract worth 400K a week.
It's not about commitment is it? I honestly doubt any of those players is seriously going to expect to be paid what Pogba is. Footballers understand how the game works.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's been over reactions on both sides, agreed, but if you think he's been the ultimate professional whilst being with us then I don't know what else to say. He's fully aware of the circus surrounding him and he could stop his brother and agent running their mouths every 2 mins in a heartbeat but he doesn't.

Sell him and buy somebody who actually wants to be here and give his all for the club. He doesn't. It's fairly obvious.
If he doesn’t, then he won’t. That’s fairly obvious. You cannot keep saying a man who signs a contract to stay at the club doesn’t want to be here. And if he actually doesn’t, then he wouldn’t sign the contract. As of now, it remains to be seen. Loads of people have got in there early with the most absolute and definitive declarations over and over again ‘he doesn’t want to be here’ etc. That remains to be seen. His actions will ultimately confirm that. And the actions he does with his pen that is, not any microanalysis of ‘in my professional opinion as a shelf stacker, he should be fit by now.’

Regarding his agents or brothers comments, no, I don’t believe he has basically written scripts and passed them out to read to the press. I do think they are probably sharing bits, maybe even one-sides bits of conversations they have had, but ultimately, I don’t agree that the player wishes to openly disrespect this club. Which is what we would be saying is the case.He hasn’t been mistreated here, at least not by the club itself. He seemingly has a great relationship with the manager. Even if he feels he wants to move on, so what? That doesn’t mean he should drag the club, and I don’t think he is. Raiola made some personal remarks to Solskjær for example. A man who, by all accounts, absolutely has a great relationship with the player. Do you think it was evil Paul who wrote that?

The worst thing for Pogba is that he hasn’t been able to defend himself on the pitch. His absence has clearly made the heart grow colder in many of our fans, and my concern is that particular relationship may be the most damaged. Because I can generally see sections of our fans booing him on his return, based on everything I read and hear.

Ultimately, what will be will be. There’s no point trying to second guess the intentions of someone we don’t know to the degree that we do so. If he wants to leave, he will.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At the end of the day if Pogba had delivered consistently on the pitch for us nobody would be able to say anything. But he simply hasn't. It's always "but what if we can get the best out of him" I seem to find with our fans. Well but for Ole's brief purple patch as caretaker manager, I have yet to see Pogba play anywhere near like the potential he supposedly has. He's been a largely disappointing signing.
So about 10 acceptable games in 3 years is the answer to my previous question by the way?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
According to who? if you have unrealistic expectations thats fine, but he was the top goalscorer AND top assister last season in a team that had Lukaku, Rashford and Martial.

If that isn't pulling his weight then what is? what else is he expected to do?

Chicharito_

Agree with this, I think Bruno is showing that if you are good enough and want it enough your talent shines through whatever team you're playing in. Pogba is a great player but the environment has to be right for him to shine and I do believe he needs excellent around him like he had at Juve. We might see the best of him again now with Bruno but he isn't the most important player in our team like I used to believe.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
his brothers and agent say it nearly every month
hasn’t his agent said that he doesn’t want to leave but he wants to be challenging and play with the best players? Making it sound like he’s frustrated with the lack of quality in our squad.

Or was it a shit effort of a backtrack from a previous rant? There’s been so many.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
hasn’t his agent said that he doesn’t want to leave but he wants to be challenging and play with the best players?

Or was it a shit effort of a backtrack from a previous rant? There’s been so many.
You are not wrong.

The reality is, his agent has been very ambiguous with his comments, but they have been distilled to leave only the negative. In truth, he has probably just been chess-boxing with the United board.

That said, it has been unhelpful, and would have been preferred (although probably not as effective for him) if he had held these conversations in private.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
hasn’t his agent said that he doesn’t want to leave but he wants to be challenging and play with the best players? Making it sound like he’s frustrated with the lack of quality in our squad.

He's said exactly that but obviously that won't fit on the current narrative because because got to be vindicated in their outrage. People want to make it seems like Pogba wants to leave United because of some seething hatred or something, when in reality what's happening with him you'd expect from any top player stuck in a team floating around mediocrity. If things turn around and ambitions are shown it's natural he could want to stay.

You can't begrudge a top player for wanting to leave a mediocre team and seek a top team, and if said mediocre team show improvement and ambition it's not surprising to see said top wanting also wanting to stick around because club is starting to meet his ambition.

KennyBurner

Pogba has not said he wants to leave Manchester United.
Normally an agent saying his client wants to leave would be recognized as the wishes of said client. However knowing that his client is raoila I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because we all know Raiola has a mind of his own and does as he wishes. Yet his brothers have on multiple occasions mouthed to the press that his brother would be better off elsewhere. At this point it would be naive to believe Pogba has not already discussed his intentions with his hamily and agent while also given them the go ahead. It protects him doing it this way because now he has fans like you still on the fence.

I for one am glad if he now want to stay because Im 100% sure he was willing to leave us last summer and this summer if we were still on the low. We need the quality and I dont buy into the mercenary propaganda on this forum. However Im indifferent about him especially after his cowardly tactics with his brothers and Raiola. I will continue to support him but he will never get that level of support I have towards players like Martial, Rashford, De Gea for instance. Things could of course change in the future but for now he is just a United player. His antics have made us a laughing stock considering he was once captain. You just dont encourage that sort of negativity at a time when the club is going through a low period.

Anyways hope he signs that new contract so that we are at least safe if he wants to leave sometime int he future, his stock can only go up. I was hearing stories of selling him to madrid for only 50 million euros which would be tragic.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
hasn’t his agent said that he doesn’t want to leave but he wants to be challenging and play with the best players?
Yes. That has been the only reason from the start. I don't know why people persecute him for that. He came back with 'unfinished business' to win the top trophies with us. It hasn't happened & he's almost 27 now. Which top player stays in a struggling team in their prime, if they have the ability to compete for the top trophies? Rooney a boyhood Evertonian was submitting transfer requests & straight off to us at 18 for instance.

If we make the CL this season & sign more quality players like Bruno showing proof of getting our act together, then i can easily see him committing this summer. The ball is in our corner ultimately.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
If he wants to stay, sound. He's got quality and if he applies himself we have a game changer.

If he doesn't, for whatever reason, then off you feck.

I don't really give a toss which...but if it's the former let's have it. I'm all for quality players who are in it 100 percent. Just tell your agent to shut his fecking pie hole, or better off, feck the gobshite off (the latter being preferred, but unlikely I accept).

I've no great feeling to Pogba, and he has his severe critics and defenders...but for me it's pretty simple. I keep hearing he is world class, it's time United saw it regularly.

I wanted him here, i defended his abilty numerous times after he signed, and really want him to become a big part of our success.

I don't particularly like him admittedly, I've not taken to him at all tbf but that is neither here nor there. If he comes into the side, helps us improve further, contributes and puts 100 percent in, he will have the support of the majority of United fans.

Being injured for so long has been an issue, especially with the 'is he really injured' rumours floating. Press haven't helped either, but then that's their job.

In all honesty I've no time for either of the extremes here. Those who despise him and vilify his every action, or those who seem to think he is some sort of god who requires our utmost understanding, poor Paulie.

I recognise it's a short career, and players are judged by medals. Money is great but if you've not won the big prizes...people will remind you of that.

Rooney mentioned it in his interview with Neville about his desire to leave...different circumstances but similar reasoning (albeit things turned out ok).

If he stays, then it should be because he feels that desire to succeed with United, and feels he can be a big part of getting us there.

If not, then get the cash and replace him with somebody who does.

But why, if true, the U turn? Is it because we have shown ambition to improve and add to the squad and surround him with better players?

Is it because those who could afford him aren't going to bite at what United would want for him after spending the best part of a season out? That's an awkward situation...especially after your agent has mouthed off.

Is it because the likes of Real or PSG or Juve just can't afford a 100 million plus purchase just now? (Perhaps extra scrutiny over FFP?)

Is it because he's desperate to get hos fitness for Summer and will say what folk want to hear? Is this a shop window attempt? Is it PR bullshit?

What happens if we don't get Champions League Football? He going to be happy playing second tier European football another year?

So many questions. We will see how it plays out. For what it's worth i hope, if he does come back in, he has a blinding few months.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If he wants to stay, sound. He's got quality and if he applies himself we have a game changer.

If he doesn't, for whatever reason, then off you feck.

I don't really give a toss which...but if it's the former let's have it. I'm all for quality players who are in it 100 percent. Just tell your agent to shut his fecking pie hole, or better off, feck the gobshite off (the latter being preferred, but unlikely I accept).

I've no great feeling to Pogba, and he has his severe critics and defenders...but for me it's pretty simple. I keep hearing he is world class, it's time United saw it regularly.

I wanted him here, i defended his abilty numerous times after he signed, and really want him to become a big part of our success.

I don't particularly like him admittedly, I've not taken to him at all tbf but that is neither here nor there. If he comes into the side, helps us improve further, contributes and puts 100 percent in, he will have the support of the majority of United fans.

Being injured for so long has been an issue, especially with the 'is he really injured' rumours floating. Press haven't helped either, but then that's their job.

In all honesty I've no time for either of the extremes here. Those who despise him and vilify his every action, or those who seem to think he is some sort of god who requires our utmost understanding, poor Paulie.

I recognise it's a short career, and players are judged by medals. Money is great but if you've not won the big prizes...people will remind you of that.

Rooney mentioned it in his interview with Neville about his desire to leave...different circumstances but similar reasoning (albeit things turned out ok).

If he stays, then it should be because he feels that desire to succeed with United, and feels he can be a big part of getting us there.

If not, then get the cash and replace him with somebody who does.

But why, if true, the U turn? Is it because we have shown ambition to improve and add to the squad and surround him with better players?

Is it because those who could afford him aren't going to bite at what United would want for him after spending the best part of a season out? That's an awkward situation...especially after your agent has mouthed off.

Is it because the likes of Real or PSG or Juve just can't afford a 100 million plus purchase just now? (Perhaps extra scrutiny over FFP?)

Is it because he's desperate to get hos fitness for Summer and will say what folk want to hear? Is this a shop window attempt? Is it PR bullshit?

What happens if we don't get Champions League Football? He going to be happy playing second tier European football another year?

So many questions. We will see how it plays out. For what it's worth i hope, if he does come back in, he has a blinding few months.
Good post dude. Pretty much how I feel about him.

Wants to stay? Brill, get your head down and show us what you’ve got.

Wants to go? Brill, let’s spend the money on improving the squad and bring in players who are invested in the cause.

I do wonder if the U turn is because behind the scenes he or his knob sack of an agent know no one will pay for him or even if they need him meaning he has no better options. Because let’s face it, we may not be at our prime but even so, there still aren’t many better options than us, especially if you like exposure ... as Pogba does.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Brilliant player. He’s been voted MOM 26 times on here since his return. That’s without other games where he wasn’t voted but was still class.

I figure there’s a maximum of three other players that could’ve done what Pogbas done in the time he’s been back since he’s played 99 times and been mom 26 times. In truth no one has been better.

I love Fernandes. I see the differences and similarities but no way will fernandes be held to the same standards. Sunday we sat deep and were dominated. Pogba would be criticised because surely if he cost 89 million he should be controlling games. Fernandes can set a goal up and a chance and that’s ok. Pogba doesn’t have that luxury.

Adam-Utd

Brilliant player. He’s been voted MOM 26 times on here since his return. That’s without other games where he wasn’t voted but was still class.

I figure there’s a maximum of three other players that could’ve done what Pogbas done in the time he’s been back since he’s played 99 times and been mom 26 times. In truth no one has been better.

I love Fernandes. I see the differences and similarities but no way will fernandes be held to the same standards. Sunday we sat deep and were dominated. Pogba would be criticised because surely if he cost 89 million he should be controlling games. Fernandes can set a goal up and a chance and that’s ok. Pogba doesn’t have that luxury.
Agreed.

I've said previously that if Pogba gave the ball away as often as Fernandes does there would be bloody murder in this thread.

I actually LIKE that Fernandes tries to force it, just like Pogba does but in a different extreme.

Creative players have to play like that and not worry about their % percentage. I can't wait to see them play together, hope it works.

Adam-Utd

what the feck?
I assume he means covering the mouth when you cough or sneeze, a bit like when dabbing.

It's just a ploy to trick the kids into covering their mouths/noses. Not sure why it's such a weird thing, if it helps then great.

vodrake

It's a weird way of presenting it, but it's solid advice. Sneeze/cough into your elbow rather than your hands, as you're more likely to spread germs if they get on your hands and you go around touching other things than on your arm

laughtersassassin

Solid advice to a different audience. At worst nothing wrong with it at best maybe some people will remember to sneeze into their elbow.

Good post.

Ludens the Red

It's a weird way of presenting it, but it's solid advice. Sneeze/cough into your elbow rather than your hands, as you're more likely to spread germs if they get on your hands and you go around touching other things than on your arm
Solid advice to a different audience. At worst nothing wrong with it at best maybe some people will remember to sneeze into their elbow.

Good post.
:lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

This is a point I’ve tried to make a few times and I find very frustrating. Pogba has been voted MOTM 26 out of 99 games, and would have been in our top 3 a fair few other times too, especially as De Gea was picking up the award loads too. I will certainly never deny that he has had bad games, but I do get very frustrated at how quickly good games are erased yet so many people can pull out one of his poor performances in seconds years later if needed. On this very forum, after many games, the words have been glowing, not the small handful of games that it is now implied.

I don’t dispute that it hasn’t all gone to plan, and that’s largely because the plan was for us to be a top team, which hasn’t happened. That said, as an entire unit, we are looking quite good at the moment. As long as the defensive and offensive balance is not upset, there is no way he will not make us better. Every negative is so hugely overstated. He’s had some memorable games like City away, but it’s as if after that game, any game that wasn’t on that level has been filed as poor. There have been many that were simply ‘good’, and a small number that were terrible. I do appreciate that a random good performance in a routine win against Southampton in a season where we finish 5th is quickly forgotten. But when history is rewritten I will remind people.

Teja

Just wanted to throw this in here as a refresher. Bruno is great but Pogba is just something else, can't wait for the two of them to play together.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Just wanted to throw this in here as a refresher. Bruno is great but Pogba is just something else, can't wait for the two of them to play together.
Honestly if Bruno continues what he's been doing he's a far better value than Pogba.

And its presumptuous to expect them to play in their best positions and get the best out of each other when played in the same XI. It may well be the case that one has to cater for the other, which will reduce his output.

kidbob

I absolutely agree. Him and Bruno could be something incredible. Add in a, hopefully, Rashford at a level that Pogba has never got to play with before and we could be on to something special. I really hope we do whatever it takes to keep him. I think he just wants to win trophies and he'd be happy to stay here if he thought he could do so. I think with the right signings, Bruno and players like Fred, Shaw and Rashford keeping their form we are in a position that he might just realise that here is the place to be to be successful.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Can't wait to watch him play alongside Bruno, Rashford, Martial.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

the mad thing is, most of those assists aren’t really assists, they aren’t great chances in a lot of cases and ordinary passes. But you can find about 50 great chances he’s put on a plate with unbelievable passes.....only for someone else to miss! No wonder people think he’s been underwhelming

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nobody in football comes close to him with those “L1+Triangle” passes. He’s so good at them. He was pinging them to Mbappe all World Cup. If we had a Rashford tier right winger he’d be smashing them over from the left side like he normally does.

Status
Not open for further replies.