6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halal Jalal

He must be played in the position where jaylingz played this game imo. Didn’t he play there when Ole took over last season and had his unbeaten run?
But who is going to play in the pivot next to McT in that case? (Not that McT is an appropriate partner for PP to begin with). We had no #6 and no #10 tonight, just PP carrying the whole midfield - build up, transition, chance creation - on his shoulders. We should have bought either a proper CM (Ndombele, Pogba-proven in French NT) or a proper #10 (Dybala, Pogba-proven from Juve) and then deploy PP accordingly. He's equally good in deeper role or just behind the striker, but can't do everything on his own.

Jacob

Because a match lasts 90 minutes and two great assists takes less than 90 seconds.
Hmm.. what good does that do if it counts for nothing? There's a reason why goals and assists are crucial metrics in rating player performance.

I thought he was below-par today, but then again, Pogba will never unite opinions on him. The expectations fluctuate significantly from observer to observer. I just find that his minimal level of performance is too poor, needs to raise the floor.

Kamprad

But who is going to play in the pivot next to McT in that case? (Not that McT is an appropriate partner for PP to begin with). We had no #6 and no #10 tonight, just PP carrying the whole midfield - build up, transition, chance creation - on his shoulders. We should have bought either a proper CM (Ndombele, Pogba-proven in French NT) or a proper #10 (Dybala, Pogba-proven from Juve) and then deploy PP accordingly. He's equally good in deeper role or just behind the striker, but can't do everything on his own.
You’re absolutely right but I still would’ve played Pereira/Matic/Fred there some games. Maybe not this one or against the top teams. Let’s see what Ole does. But it’s such a waste of talent to play him so far back.

Devil may care

Mixed bag, I think he's working hard in that double pivot but he is always going to have those moments on the ball when he gets it deeper where it can cause us a problem. Great run for the penalty and it was a good save from Patricio. I haven't read the thread and I know he is a polarizing figure but when I look at McTominay next to him and Lingard as the #10 and then I see Rodri/Gundogan/De Bruyne for City or Winks/Ndombele/Eriksen for Spurs I think he has a hard job with partners that are poor on the ball, he's a Rolls Royce parked next to 2 Ford Fiesta's.

leet

I'm literally so tired of Paul Pogba and all of his baggage. Wouldn't mind if we sold him even without replacement.

Redo91

I'm literally so tired of Paul Pogba and all of his baggage. Wouldn't mind if we sold him even without replacement.
And then what?! We come 8th behind the likes of Wolves and Leicester? We are screwed in Midfield without him. He is our only midfielder that is good enough.

leet

And then what?! We come 8th behind the likes of Wolves and Leicester? We are screwed in Midfield without him. He is our only midfielder that is good enough.
The only place I care about is first. Doubt it'll ever happen with him being the main star. We failed this summer miserably, next one has to be big or that 8th place will be something that'll happen regularly.

Tarrou

why would he even want to take that penalty? he keeps missing and Rashford doesn't

Ole needs to step in clearly

KetilOwren88

I actually think the penalty miss can be a blessing for us. Of course not because we dropped 2 points, but because it was Pogba who missed it. Hopefully this will bring him back down to earth and make him eager to prove himself instead of all this Real Madrid shit. You cannot walk around as a God in the dressing room, when you have just made a bad mistake that cost your team. Mathias Pogba said that Paul cannot do everything for this team. Well, karma is a bitch...

Last edited:

Foxbatt

He had a good game. Anyone can miss a penalty. I blame Ole for playing a two man midfield. This is not 1999 and no team is going to play with just two midfield players.
I know we do not have anyone else to play but maybe later during the game he could have pushed Pogba forward and got Matic in for Lingard.

kiristao

I thought he had a decent game considering he was playing in a 2 man midfield. Did not try any flicks and tricks in risky positions. Chose the right moments to try to make a forward pass. If he had scored the penalty, everyone would have been gushing about how he took the game by the scruff of the neck and won us the penalty and the game.

tjb

Think people overrate Pogbas influence on the team. Mctominay was not bad today, just not as good as we have seen him lately. Pogba is very good, but his game doesn't suit the league. It's a bit too languid and slow, and requires more space than the league provides. We dally too much with him as the main passer in midfield. His defensive work also leaves us exposed.
The fernandes transfer news said all we needed to know about this. Our goal is to sign midfielders who are more controlled and consistent than risky. In this league you need midfielders willing to put a shift in and not take too much attention with flashy passes and flicks. We have a year to prepare, and his fee could help us sign both a cm and am, but the sooner we move on, the better I think we will be.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No matter if we win or lose - it can’t be stated enough how insanely vital he is to our bang average team.

Without him I wouldn’t see United finishing above 8th.

finneh

Why is he playing on the right of the two when he has always played left before and McT always played right?

Is it because McT is needed to cover Shaw?
I'd say it's more to do with Wan Bissaka's defensive recovery ability when Pogba gives the ball away?

OldTrevil

Was very good actually, but with the agenda against him you just knew the usual suspects would be going hysterical about the miss and one or two misplaced passes. Maybe he should go back to the glorious stutter steps before pens :p.

Also, our defenders need to play him the ball quicker and earlier before he gets marked, and most importantly communicate to him about his surroundings. If he had a Rio back there for example, Pogba would always be hearing who is behind him and to the sides, allowing him to constantly make better attacking moves whenever he received the ball. We've improved markedly from Jones and Smalling, but the new guys still have a way to go as far as communication and passing with conviction and attacking intent.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Was very good actually, but with the agenda against him you just knew the usual suspects would be going hysterical about the miss and one or two misplaced passes. Maybe he should go back to the glorious stutter steps before pens :p.

Also, our defenders need to play him the ball quicker and earlier before he gets marked, and most importantly communicate to him about his surroundings. If he had a Rio back there for example, Pogba would always be hearing who is behind him and to the sides, allowing him to constantly make better attacking moves whenever he received the ball. We've improved markedly from Jones and Smalling, but the new guys still have a way to go as far as communication and passing with conviction and attacking intent.
I think he did well off the ball, always in good positions and our defensive shape was great. Giving the ball away under completely no pressure what so ever though isn't something which he should be doing as a CM. Its not like he was trying difficult passes and one of these almost resulted in a counter from Wolves if not for the brilliant AWB.

Overall he had a decent game, but his passing wasn't good enough yesterday especially first half

Tarrou

aside from the pen thought he was good

I'm massively pissed off about the pen though, it is terrible decision making to take that.. why even put yourself in that position? we have an in-form pen-taker ready and waiting, who scored a brilliant pen last week

I still think he should be playing further forward though

Oggmonster

I just don't get him really. I know he's obviously a very good player but I'd expect more by now for what he cost. I can't remember than many great games he had (I struggle to remember 5.) I appreciate he's not playing in a great side but for what he cost and his reputation he should do more himself. I won't slate him for the penalty miss cos it happens bit Carragher was right he is poor at them and should swallow his pride and step aside as Rashford is a much better taker.

I don't think he has what it takes to be a consistent world class performer for us in all honesty. Whether he does somewhere else I don't know but I imagine this is his last season here and can't say I'm to bothered of he goes.

Redo91

The only place I care about is first. Doubt it'll ever happen with him being the main star. We failed this summer miserably, next one has to be big or that 8th place will be something that'll happen regularly.
Ya but how are we meant to build towards coming 1st if we miss out on the top 4 this season? We have no chance of making it this season without him. None of the rest of our midfielders are good enough for a top 6 club. We won’t be able to attract the likes of Sancho next season if we miss out on CL football. Pogba is essential if that is to be avoided.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had good game but playing him in 2 man midfield doesn't bring best out of him or team. We are playing Lingard as 10, who offers almost nothing when in possession. We should play Fred - McTominay in the midfield and Pogba as #10. Not exactly as #10 but more like 3rd midfielder in 4-3-3.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he did well off the ball, always in good positions and our defensive shape was great. Giving the ball away under completely no pressure what so ever though isn't something which he should be doing as a CM. Its not like he was trying difficult passes and one of these almost resulted in a counter from Wolves if not for the brilliant AWB.

Overall he had a decent game, but his passing wasn't good enough yesterday especially first half
Yeah that never happened. A few long passes that didn't reach their targets? sure.

The only times he lost the ball in midfield was when Lindelof or AWB got caught on the ball and gave it to Pogba to bail themselves out.

He had a solid performance.

K13

Not having a go at his overall performance but do you really think anyone keeper that picks the right way doesn’t save that??
He hit it with a lot of power and I was actually quite surprised that VAR did not pick up how early the keeper moved.

Fosu-Mens

He had good game but playing him in 2 man midfield doesn't bring best out of him or team. We are playing Lingard as 10, who offers almost nothing when in possession. We should play Fred - McTominay in the midfield and Pogba as #10. Not exactly as #10 but more like 3rd midfielder in 4-3-3.
Yes, but the issue is that Fred and McTominay are not good enough or consistent enough on the ball to help play out of defence and transition the ball further up the pitch. So with those two in the midfield PP would still need to drop deep and help, which again is not where we want him to spend his time on the ball --> We want him on the ball in the final third.

Among the players (besides PP ) we have that can play as midfielders, only Gomes and Pereira got the passing consistency and technical ability to operate in a passing role.

roonster09

Scout
Yes, but the issue is that Fred and McTominay are not good enough or consistent enough on the ball to help play out of defence and transition the ball further up the pitch. So with those two in the midfield PP would still need to drop deep and help, which again is not where we want him to spend his time on the ball --> We want him on the ball in the final third.

Among the players (besides PP ) we have that can play as midfielders, only Gomes and Pereira got the passing consistency and technical ability to operate in a passing role.
He can help them out and then bomb forward. With 2 in midfield he stays deep all the time.

I think Fred is good with distribution, just that he loses concentration at times. Last season I thought he was impressive against Arsenal and then was dropped for next game.

Maybe delusion but I think he will be good this season.

mad1max954

He is not the leader, or midfield general we need. This is the type of game those players take over and run the game.
If argue that he could boss and take over a game, but regardless of that. How many generals or leaders are out there, how many can you name and are any actually attainable?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah that never happened. A few long passes that didn't reach their targets? sure.

The only times he lost the ball in midfield was when Lindelof or AWB got caught on the ball and gave it to Pogba to bail themselves out.

He had a solid performance.
Watch again

Hammondo

If argue that he could boss and take over a game, but regardless of that. How many generals or leaders are out there, how many can you name and are any actually attainable?
It's true there is a shortage of them.

Fosu-Mens

He can help them out and then bomb forward. With 2 in midfield he stays deep all the time.

I think Fred is good with distribution, just that he loses concentration at times. Last season I thought he was impressive against Arsenal and then was dropped for next game.

PP most likely needs to come deep and help sometimes regardless.

Problem with Fred is not that he can't spot the pass, it is his average ability to receive and pass the ball. Sometimes his touch is silky smooth and makes it look like he is Busquets reincarnated, but often he is not. Playing simple passes too hard or 1-2 meters off. Also, he is reckless in his pressing. Often opting for all or nothing challenges, and when he misses we are caught unbalanced. He should learn to contain rather than always trying to win the ball. If we played against teams not pressing like Wolves did last night I think Fred would be able to perform well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

If anything, I would play Fred in the hole. He is busy, has a good vision, can pass and shoots well. What he can't do is stay calm in our half which is less of a problem if he mainly receives the ball in the attacking third.

Edit: How the hell did I wrote thread instead of fred?

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
PP most likely needs to come deep and help sometimes regardless.

Problem with Fred is not that he can't spot the pass, it is his average ability to receive and pass the ball. Sometimes his touch is silky smooth and makes it look like he is Busquets reincarnated, but often he is not. Playing simple passes too hard or 1-2 meters off. Also, he is reckless in his pressing. Often opting for all or nothing challenges, and when he misses we are caught unbalanced. He should learn to contain rather than always trying to win the ball. If we played against teams not pressing like Wolves did last night I think Fred would be able to perform well.
He can spot the pass but lacks the long passing ability of Pogba. It's something we should have addressed this summer, just going with the options we have, he looks good fit.

If anything, I would play thread in the hole. He is busy, has a good vision, can pass and shoots well. What he can't do is stay calm in our half which is less of a problem if he mainly receives the ball in the attacking third.
This is very interesting. He can dribble, has very good work rate. I won't mind trying this too.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
lots of misplaced passes and a pen miss. The way he glides passed players with ease is a sight to behold though. Hit and miss.

Tibs

Without him we'd be fecked.

If Andreas isn't playing with McSauce, then Gomes needs to come in

Status
Not open for further replies.