Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No, I didn't.

It's literally the wrong defintion of what he is.

Just because you like the term 'Rolls Royce', doen't mean you can use it willy nilly.

What stops Rashford from being a Rolls Royce of a player? Or Fellaini?
Their quality.

Dante

Average bang
Their quality.
That's where you're confused.

Quality isn't the only qualifier for being a Rolls Royce of a Player.

People just want to compliment Pogba. Fair enough. But they're using the language wrongly.

Dante

Average bang
If you think Rio was only a good player you’re entitled to your opinion. I thought he was a rolls Royce. Smooth, effortless, sophisticated. Cultured
Good post. The definition of Rolls Royce of a player is broader than the way people are using it for Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's where you're confused.

Quality isn't the only qualifier for being a Rolls Royce of a Player.

People just want to compliment Pogba. Fair enough. But they're using the language wrongly.
It is quality, preference and effortlessness. It is a simple comparison between a football player and a luxurious motor. A metaphor.

This notion that it is due to multifunctionality is false. If that were the case, there’s about 100 cars you would use before a Rolls Royce, for a start. And they wouldn’t be flattering cars either, as ‘multifunctional’ and ‘luxury’ are not exactly synonymous.

Dante

Average bang
It is quality, preference and effortlessness. It is a simple comparison between a football player and a luxurious motor. A metaphor.

This notion that it is due to multifunctionality is false. If that were the case, there’s about 100 cars you would use before a Rolls Royce, for a start. And they wouldn’t be flattering cars either, as ‘multifunctional’ and ‘luxury’ are not exactly synonymous.
So then, Pogba is a sweeper because he sweeps up all opponents and puts them in the bin.

You can make a convoluted case for any term, but the language is the language.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba is a sweeper because he sweeps up all opponents and puts them in the bin.
I can’t help you with ‘sweeper’. Thankfully, nobody called him one, except yourself a few times.

I can, however, help you with the ‘Rolls Royce’ comparison, as I have above.

Dante

Average bang
I can’t help you with ‘sweeper’. Thankfully, nobody called him one, except yourself a few times.

I can, however, help you with the ‘Rolls Royce’ comparison, as I have above.
You're changing the definition of the term as it's applied for the last 40.

What stops Pogba from being a sweeper? Serious question.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
All these years we had arguments on world class, now we will have arguments on "Rolls Royce class".

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You're changing the definition of the term as it's applied for the last 40.

What stops Pogba from being a sweeper? Serious question.
Other than the fact that he doesn’t play as one, nothing. Sweeper, like goalkeeper, is a position on a football pitch. ‘Rolls-Royce’, like ‘diamond’ is a metaphor referring to the standard and rareness of a footballer.

Not every great footballer is referred to as a Rolls Royce, of course, as they don’t all share similar characteristics. Neymar, for example, is more likely to be compared to a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Pogba, however, moves differently and has a different presence, which shares more similarities to a Rolls Royce.

I have changed no definition of the comparison.

Bestietom

Pogba on form and giving 100% is a class player and can dictate a game. The question is How Often he turns up in this form.
He would be in contention for the Ballon Dor if he played like he really can, but he chooses far too often, to just stroll around the pitch and not care about winning for the rest of the team.
This to me is never going to be captain material, and I for one would not trust a player like this for Captain. My opinion.

Dante

Average bang
Other than the fact that he doesn’t play as one, nothing. Sweeper, like goalkeeper, is a position on a football pitch. ‘Rolls-Royce’, like ‘diamond’ is a metaphor referring to the standard and rareness of a footballer.

Not every great footballer is referred to as a Rolls Royce, of course, as they don’t all share similar characteristics. Neymar, for example, is more likely to be compared to a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Pogba, however, moves differently and has a different presence, which shares more similarities to a Rolls Royce.

I have changed no definition of the comparison.
Ah. That's where you're confused. Fair enough.

Don Revie coined the term in the 70s about a ball playing all-rounder CB playing for Leeds. It was then used about Rio who was also a ball playing all-rounder CB playing for Leeds. And more recently about Stones who was also a ball playing all-rounder CB.

If you want to change the meaning, you can. You'd be wrong, but you can. I'm honestly not fussed. This was my original post on the matter.
Amazing skill.

Not quite what Rolls Royce means, but I'll give it to you.
I'm only responding because people are making it personal about me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ah. That's where you're confused. Fair enough.

Don Revie coined the term in the 70s about a ball playing all-rounder CB playing for Leeds. It was then used about Rio who was also a ball playing all-rounder CB playing for Leeds. And more recently about Stones who was also a ball playing all-rounder CB.

If you want to change the meaning, you can. You'd be wrong, but you can. I'm honestly not fussed. This was my original post on the matter.

I'm only responding because people are making it personal about me.
Don Revie coined the term in relation to what he saw as a ‘Rolls Royce’ of a player. That the player happened to be a defender is irrelevant. He had to be something. Just like if Pele was the first player to be compared to a ‘rough diamond’ as a 16 year old, it doesn’t mean ‘rough diamond’ is now synonymous with ‘striker’, because that’s what Pele was. Otherwise it would have been used before, and after for every other young striker, with kids wanting to play the ‘rough diamond position’ on the pitch. What would obviously be more likely, is that Pele’s ability would have been compared to the rarity of a diamond, and coupled with his youth and unpolishedness, which would be compared to the ‘roughness’ of the diamond.

It is very obvious, that the vehicle brand ‘Rolls Royce’, bears no synonym to a fecking ‘ball playing centre half’. You have obviously missed the point. Massively. Otherwise, by your own definition, you would have asked yourself why it would take the 20 years between Rio Ferdinand coming through and John Stones coming through to hear the comparison of Rolls-Royce of a player. If the definition was ‘ball playing all round CB’, that is a definition which would have applied to 100 players between Rio and Stones, to which you would not have had to wait that long to rub two examples together. You could have used the Rolls Royce that is Johnny Evans, or perhaps the Rolls Royce that is Tyrone Mings. After all, they are ball playing centre halves. You have missed the point in that both Rio and Stones were compared to Rolls Royces because they were pretty fecking good and made the game look very easy from the beginning.

I think it should be obvious at all that there is nothing literal in the comparison to a Rolls Royce and a defender who is good at passing the ball.

Bestietom

Most teams in the 60's had what they called a sweeper alongside the CB when the 4-3-3 was introduced. He done the job that is now done by a DM. Never heard them called this Rolls Royce name, Maybe Bobby Moore.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Don Revie coined the term in relation to what he saw as a ‘Rolls Royce’ of a player. That the player happened to be a defender is irrelevant. He had to be something. Just like if Pele was the first player to be compared to a ‘rough diamond’ as a 16 year old, it doesn’t mean ‘rough diamond’ is now synonymous with ‘striker’, because that’s what Pele was.

It is very obvious, that the vehicle brand ‘Rolls Royce’, bears no synonym to a fecking ‘ball playing centre half’. You have obviously missed the point. Massively. Otherwise, by your own definition, you would have asked yourself why it would take the 20 years between Rio Ferdinand coming through and John Stones coming through to hear the comparison of Rolls-Royce of a player. If the definition was ‘ball playing all round CB’, that is a definition which would have applied to 100 players between Rio and Stones, to which you would not have had to wait that long to rub two examples together. You could have used the Rolls Royce that is Johnny Evans, or perhaps the Rolls Royce that is Tyrone Mings. After all, they are ball playing centre halves. You have missed the point in that both Rio and Stones were compared to Rolls Royces because they were pretty fecking good and made the game look very easy from the beginning.
There are only a few hundred top level footballers in the world. That makes Tyrone Mings a diamond and a Rolls Royce according to your definition.

Judging by your post, Pogba is also a striker because he strikes the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There are only a few hundred top level footballers in the world. That makes Tyrone Mings a diamond and a Rolls Royce according to your definition.

Judging by your post, Pogba is also a striker because he strikes the ball.
You are now just being deliberately clueless it seems. The only alternative is that English is not your first language, in which case, I apologise, as you clearly don’t understand the subtleties in the comparisons. If English IS your first language, then you are talking unfiltered rubbish. And obvious rubbish at that. ‘Obvious’, in the sense that, there is ‘obviously’ no literal link to being compared to a Rolls Royce and playing as a centre half who passes the ball.

At no stage was that called ‘playing the Rolls Royce position’ on the pitch. Which is why both Pogba and Rio can share the comparison.

Dante

Average bang
You are now just being deliberately clueless it seems. The only alternative is that English is not your first language, in which case, I apologise, as you clearly don’t understand the subtleties in the comparisons. If English IS your first language, then you are talking unfiltered rubbish. And obvious rubbish at that. ‘Obvious’, in the sense that, there is ‘obviously’ no literal link to being compared to a Rolls Royce and playing as a centre half who passes the ball.

At no stage was that called ‘playing the Rolls Royce position’ on the pitch. Which is why both Pogba and Rio can share the comparison.
I'm mirroring your own ridiculousness. I like the fact you can see how silly you're being. The next step is to recognise it in yourself.

Bestietom

You can be called a " Rolls Royce of a Midfielder", and same as any other area of the pitch. Centre Forward, Full back, Centre Back, etc.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You can be called a " Rolls Royce of a Midfielder", and same as any other area of the pitch. Centre Forward, Full back, Centre Back, etc.
Exactly. The comparison is with the quality of the player, not the position. Otherwise it would just be a case of ‘I play the Rolls Royce role’. It’s starkly obvious common sense.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm mirroring your own ridiculousness. I like the fact you can see how silly you're being. The next step is to recognise it in yourself.
You are doing no such thing I’m afraid. You have been arguing that because the first player compared to a Rolls was a defender, you need to be one to warrant the comparison forever more. Which to the rest of us, is obvious nonsense.

Dante

Average bang
You are doing no such thing I’m afraid. You have been arguing that because the first player compared to a Rolls was a defender, you need to be one to warrant the comparison forever more. Which to the rest of us, is obvious nonsense.
I could also change the definition of striker to mean anyone who strikes the ball. But I won't because I'm not a moron.

Feel free to change the established definition of other terms though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I could also change the definition of striker to mean anyone who strikes the ball. But I won't because I'm not a moron.

Feel free to change the established definition of other terms though.
A striker is an actual football position. A Rolls Royce, if you didn’t know, is actually a vehicle brand. Not a fecking football position by definition. Are you drunk? Even for the caf, I haven’t seen this level of cluelessness for a long time.

How on earth could ‘striker’ and ‘Rolls Royce’ be comparable in a conversation football positions? Ffs.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Have we hit the new low in his thread where people start overrating him based on preseason games?

Dante

Average bang
A striker is an actual football position. A Rolls Royce, if you didn’t know, is actually a vehicle brand. Not a fecking football position by definition. Are you drunk? Even for the caf, I haven’t seen this level of cluelessness for a long time.

How on earth could ‘striker’ and ‘Rolls Royce’ be comparable in a conversation football positions? Ffs.
A striker is somebody who strikes.

OsloRed

That's never been said by man nor beast. But I suppose so.
Language changes and evolves over time. New definitions gets added to certain phrases and words. I am certain I have heard people say 'a Rolls Royce of a midfielder' about player who have a certain playstyle and effortlessness.

You are probably right about the original definition of the phrase, I don't know enough about that myself, but that doesn't mean others are wrong about what it means now.

Dante

Average bang
Language changes and evolves over time. New definitions gets added to certain phrases and words. I am certain I have heard people say 'a Rolls Royce of a midfielder' about player who have a certain playstyle and effortlessness.

You are probably right about the original definitions of the word, I don't know enough about that myself, but that doesn't mean others are wrong about what it means now.
Do you have any evidence of this?

I'm also certain I've heard people say 'would of' and 'could of'. Doesn't make it right.

OsloRed

Do you have any evidence of this?

I'm also certain I've heard people say 'would of' and 'could of'. Doesn't make it right.
In this thread and other places in the forum for one. I know what you mean though, and no concrete clips of the top of my head. I do remember it being used several times in a discussion about Pogba in the studio on norwegian TV.

This is also a metaphor, and to me a metaphor can't really have one meaning and one meaning only. It is about what kind of pictures it evokes for different people. To me, a Rolls Royce of a player evokes a picture of a certain playstyle. Effortless technique and style of carrying the ball. To others it may be different.

But we might disagree on this. For better or worse, how a word is used dictates its meaning.

Bestietom

Paul Merson still refers to players as "Rolls Royce Players" today. Talking about very good players you would hear him refer to them as this name.

Another was Pele and Eusebio who were both called "The Black Pearl" the king of football.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
In this thread and other places in the forum for one. I know what you mean though, and no concrete clips of the top of my head. I do remember it being used several times in a discussion about Pogba in the studio on norwegian TV.

This is also a metaphor, and to me a metaphor can't really have one meaning and one meaning only. It is about what kind of pictures it evokes for different people. To me, a Rolls Royce of a player evokes a picture of a certain playstyle. Effortless technique and style of carrying the ball. To others it may be different.

But we might disagree on this. For better or worse, how a word is used dictates its meaning.
True.

But if you use a term incorrectly, it's initially not going to make sense.

Dante

Average bang
Paul Merson still refers to players as "Rolls Royce Players" today. Talking about very good players you would hear him refer to them as this name.

Another was Pele and Eusabio who were both called "The Black Pearl" the king of football.
If Paul Merson says it, it must be wrong.

OsloRed

True.

But but if you use a term incorrectly, it's initially not going to make sense.
It does make sense to a lot of people it seems, though, so maybe we have already reached that point.

I do agree about Paul Merson, though!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have we hit the new low in his thread where people start overrating him based on preseason games?
Yea, nobody rated Paul Pogba before this pre-season.

Honestly, if it were not my team too, I would wish you guys got what you wished for with his departure.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yea, nobody rated Paul Pogba before this pre-season.

Honestly, if it were not my team too, I would wish you guys got what you wished for with his departure.
Who wants his departure? From what I know it was him who wish he was somewhere else(and I wouldn't mind seeing unhappy player go for good money), but I don't want to see good players sold from our team if he didn't want to go. However, using the argument of him playing well in preseason games to describe him as easily our best player and ignoring that he didn't have single season where he was our best player by mile, and ignoring the fact that he finished last few months of last season as one of our most disappointing players during the chase for top4, only to praise him after one and a half preseason game is seriously frustrating.
Especially when your standard Pogba fan argument is that whoever doesn't rate him as the best midfielder all times is a hater, etc.

How about half a game v Perth glory?
Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.