Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who wants his departure? From what I know it was him who wish he was somewhere else(and I wouldn't mind seeing unhappy player go for good money), but I don't want to see good players sold from our team if he didn't want to go. However, using the argument of him playing well in preseason games to describe him as easily our best player and ignoring that he didn't have single season where he was our best player by mile, and ignoring the fact that he finished last few months of last season as one of our most disappointing players during the chase for top4, only to praise him after one and a half preseason game is seriously frustrating.
Especially when your standard Pogba fan argument is that whoever doesn't rate him as the best midfielder all times is a hater, etc.

Good point.
He was the best player we had last season. You seem to require it to be ‘by a mile’. He was our only player in the team of the season. He was our top goalscorer. He is our best player.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
This Rolls Royce-Sweeper discussion is hilarious.

Stadjer

He was the best player we had last season. You seem to require it to be ‘by a mile’. He was our only player in the team of the season. He was our top goalscorer. He is our best player.
Yes but he is virus and we would be better of without one of the most talented footballer on the planet and adding a player who plays for the shirt and puts a shift in... atleast that is what ive read here.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No he wasn't, he sulked for half of the season under Mourinho, then played very good two months, and then had very poor end of the season. But if you rate player's season based on end product, then he was easily our best player, I can't disagree with that.

And being in the PL team of the season means feck all, as proven so many times. He wasn't voted our player of the season by the fans, nor his teammates either. One of the managers that trained him last season wasn't happy with him either.

He is our most talented player by mile though, whether he proved that or not is very questionable though. He is also our most paid player by mile so he should be also playing like one, he is not playing for free.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No, I didn't.

It's literally the wrong defintion of what he is.

Just because you like the term 'Rolls Royce', doen't mean you can use it willy nilly.

What stops Rashford from being a Rolls Royce of a player? Or Fellaini?
You're being willfully ignorant. I posted the actual dictionary definition of the metaphor and the context it was used in the article you posted.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No he wasn't, he sulked for half of the season under Mourinho, then played very good two months, and then had very poor end of the season. But if you rate player's season based on end product, then he was easily our best player, I can't disagree with that.

And being in the PL team of the season means feck all, as proven so many times. He wasn't voted our player of the season by the fans, nor his teammates either. One of the managers that trained him last season wasn't happy with him either.

He is our most talented player by mile though, whether he proved that or not is very questionable though. He is also our most paid player by mile so he should be also playing like one, he is not playing for free.
He was our best player for most of Mourinho’s time last season. Then he had about 3 or 4 average to poor games, and because it is Pogba - everyone quickly forgot that he had been very good at the start of the season. Pogba has the tendency that at any given time, if he has 3 bad games in a row - he’s now having a terrible season, regardless of how he was playing before then.

As always, I invite anyone to check the match day threads to refresh yourself.

Keefy18

Even with Jose there, the team under performing and Jose basically doing everything in his power to bring the club to relegation.. He was far an away our best player. He returned from the World Cup early with no break and hit the ground running by scoring and assisting goals. He had some good games early on, faded out a bit with some average games.

Ole rocked up and hit the ground running, but late on in the season our team struggled due to his demands and fitness lacking. We racked up so many injuries from Feb to May, at a guess I'd say we had at least 15 different injuries in that period to first team players.

pseudo_canadian

He's actually a fantastic player when he doesn't completely down his tools.

He needs to maintain the "give a shit" factor more often. Would be great.

Dante

Average bang
One interesting thing I've noticed is that Ole seems to have abandoned the idea of Pogba as a left attacking midfielder. Probably the biggest feature of our attacking play in the last 4 seasons has been the left wing trio of Martial/Shaw/Pogba (with Fellaini, Rashford and Sanchez filling in on occasion).

Each of Pogba's outings so far have seen him play to the right of his midfield partner, with licence to get forward.

SATA

Is there any team out there who wouldn’t want him? I would say no

So glad we bought him from Juve three years back. Cos it would have been so difficult after that

GMoore23

Why so sheepish today.

Disappointing. I think he's also disappointed with himself today.

:drool:That sweet slice distance shot at the end though. Ahh, so good.
Because he's up against proper opposition today who get stuck in. He's the ultimate show pony, Not a player for when the going gets tough. I wish we'd just get rid. It will be the same old pogba the bottler this season.

Patrick08

Have little impact from the deep. He is a 10. Boards inaction is forcing ole to play him deep.

Hammondo

He struggles against strong midfield opposition. We really need someone behind him to be a midfield general like carrick, or xavi types.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Such a passive performance. He can't always wait for the game to come to him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some posters are very strange.

Why do they always expect Pogba to dominate good opposition players like he's playing against children?

Tottenham played a diamond with arguably their 4 best midfielders and we still came out on top. Mctominay and Pogba both did their jobs.

Yes he didn't run rings around them but that isn't always required. It was a good competitive match.

I struggle to think anybody can watch the game back and think he put in a poor performance that isn't bias.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I struggle to think anybody can watch the game back and think he put in a poor performance that isn't bias.
It wasn't exactly poor, but it was largely an average and uninspiring performance. Yes, saying otherwise seems biased in my eyes.

Adam-Utd

It wasn't exactly poor, but it was largely an average and uninspiring performance. Yes, saying otherwise seems biased in my eyes.
Yes it was average, it wasn't bad it wasn't amazing. But it seems that people can't be happy with a par performance against a tough side. Unless he's running through the team and scoring wonder goals he's had a "bad game". He did plenty of dirty work, made some nice passes and knitted our possession game alongside Mctominay well.

That was nowhere near the bad side of Pogba we've seen before.

3KDré

Some posters are very strange.

Why do they always expect Pogba to dominate good opposition players like he's playing against children?

Tottenham played a diamond with arguably their 4 best midfielders and we still came out on top. Mctominay and Pogba both did their jobs.

Yes he didn't run rings around them but that isn't always required. It was a good competitive match.

It's quite strange. I went on Spurs' reddit yesterday and they thought our midfield controlled the game pretty well and they couldn't do much about it until Eriksen came on.

jesperjaap

If he could play 50% of the time like he did in those two months as only two players you cant expect to play like that week in week out on the planet, I would be happy for him to stay, he is our most talented player of course. But he hasnt, its more like 10% of the time and really what competition does he have for having been our best player as virtually the whole side was awful for the majority of last year.

I am obviously on the Pogba out side if we signed a replacement....but forgetting that, if he is to stay, one thing currently that disturbs me. Have only seen highlights from our tour and it sounds like he has been doing well....but, playing in a double pivot? Majority of his time here a lot of fans saying how he needs to be a more attacking midfielder as he isnt able to play as a defensive midfielder, concentration or discipline wise. That was I think why he got so much hype from the world cup as he actually managed it, even if I think his performances were over hyped, he was good.....but that was over 6/7 games. If he stays, do we really trust Pogba in a double pivot over a season if that is how we are going to play? I dont

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The pass to Mata that won the penalty and the game was just sublime..:drool:

Devil may care

I haven't watched any of the pre-season games but I read in another thread we are playing 4-2-3-1 and I see Pogba is being put back in the double pivot like Mourninho tried to shoehorn him, I don't see it working in the PL, especially without a top class DM with him, and who the hell are we playing as the #10 in the system? :confused:

settembrini

I haven't watched any of the pre-season games but I read in another thread we are playing 4-2-3-1 and I see Pogba is being put back in the double pivot like Mourninho tried to shoehorn him, I don't see it working in the PL, especially without a top class DM with him, and who the hell are we playing as the #10 in the system? :confused:
Lingard and Mata have been the main #10s in pre-season. Pereira and Gomes have also had one half each in that position and tbh looked better than the senior players.

Pogba in a double pivot is an interesting move to be sure. He was very good there for France when they won the WC but that was alongside Kante. He played there for us under Mourinho in certain games but obviously his best form came in a more advanced role.

Jeffthered

Just think it's an ongoing charade that ends in him leaving.

I love him as a player, he's awesome when on form... and I actually like his approach to life and how he sees things. He represents a new generation of sportstar(s) who see their life and sport, differently. Many pundits and some fans struggle with his identity and self-assurance. And.. He is supremely talented, v succesful (wins things..) and is extremely marketable. Some (like the Souness' of this world...) find all this difficult to accept.

If he still wants to go, he should go. No doubt about it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Lingard and Mata have been the main #10s in pre-season. Pereira and Gomes have also had one half each in that position and tbh looked better than the senior players.

Pogba in a double pivot is an interesting move to be sure. He was very good there for France when they won the WC but that was alongside Kante. He played there for us under Mourinho in certain games but obviously his best form came in a more advanced role.
I honestly think he's always been quite good in the double pivot, unpopular opinion but I think he paired well with Herrera in his first season and then well again with Matic in his second.

Devil may care

No wonder we are trying to get Dybala, so Rashford #9, Martial LW and James RW?

I think doing it for 6 or 7 games in a cup tournemant with a ground covering machine next to him and Matuidi tucking in from RM is one thing, the concentration and discipline to do it week in and week out will be an issue IMO, especially without the DM component.

Jeffthered

Isn't the most important question, whether Paul Pogba actually wants to play for Manchester United?

People talk tactics, quotes stats etc... Yet the fundamental issue of whether a player, who himself stated that it '.. May be a good time to move on...' wants to be playing for the team, seems to be lost, or completely ignored.

You want Pogba to play for a team that he himself stated that he does not want to play for?

What sort of football fan accepts that? What sort of club accepts that?

(and this is not similar to Ronaldo and Rooney etc...)

Pogba wants to go, then we should move him on.

settembrini

No wonder we are trying to get Dybala, so Rashford #9, Martial LW and James RW?

I think doing it for 6 or 7 games in a cup tournemant with a ground covering machine next to him and Matuidi tucking in from RM is one thing, the concentration and discipline to do it week in and week out will be an issue IMO, especially without the DM component.
Martial has played exclusively as a striker in pre-season. Rashford has played either upfront or on the left. James has played on both wings and looked better on the left.

I share your concerns about Pogba in a double pivot. It could backfire really badly and we end up sacrificing his attacking qualities while making him more of a defensive liability. But then again it could work out well. His passing range is fantastic so getting him on the ball early will help our build up play. When he's on form he's our midfielder most capable of resisting/bypassing opposition pressing. It's also allows us to fit another attacker into the team so he isn't burdened with being the sole creator like he was last year. And this extra attacker also allows us to be more aggressive in our own high pressing which Pogba isn't really suited for.

So overall I'm nervous about it's success but I can at least see logical reasons why Solskjaer has decided to use Pogba in this way. Time will tell just how good a plan it is.

settembrini

Isn't the most important question, whether Paul Pogba actually wants to play for Manchester United?

People talk tactics, quotes stats etc... Yet the fundamental issue of whether a player, who himself stated that it '.. May be a good time to move on...' wants to be playing for the team, seems to be lost, or completely ignored.

You want Pogba to play for a team that he himself stated that he does not want to play for?

As far as I know we haven't had a decent offer for Pogba yet so even if he wants to leave and we are happy for him to leave we are stuck with each other and both sides need to make the best of it.

UncleBob

:lol:

Irwin99

I keep seeing hints that he'll play a bit deeper in a midfield two this season. Really unsure about him in that role but we'll see. Think there will be a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of him again this season :nervous:

Adam-Utd

I keep seeing hints that he'll play a bit deeper in a midfield two this season. Really unsure about him in that role but we'll see. Think there will be a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of him again this season :nervous:
IMO he's far better in a 2 (double pivot) than in a 3 man midfield.

I remember his first season under Mourinho he was Zlatan could have scored 40 goals that year if he had his shooting boots on.

We switched to 433 and it just doesn't suit him as much IMO. It puts him into a tight corner and he's easier to press in that regard. Give him some space (which usually exists between the opponents attack + midfield) and he can run riot.

Mctominay next to him will give him all the help he needs and somebody better on the ball to spread the workload.

With the defence pressed up higher he won’t have to run up and down the pitch 50 yards to defend and attack, so he won’t be so puffed out hopefully.

as long as he’s happy playing that position I think we will be fine. We need a player of his ability to unlock defences like the goals for Mata and Greenwood.

Devil may care

Martial has played exclusively as a striker in pre-season. Rashford has played either upfront or on the left. James has played on both wings and looked better on the left.

I share your concerns about Pogba in a double pivot. It could backfire really badly and we end up sacrificing his attacking qualities while making him more of a defensive liability. But then again it could work out well. His passing range is fantastic so getting him on the ball early will help our build up play. When he's on form he's our midfielder most capable of resisting/bypassing opposition pressing. It's also allows us to fit another attacker into the team so he isn't burdened with being the sole creator like he was last year. And this extra attacker also allows us to be more aggressive in our own high pressing which Pogba isn't really suited for.

So overall I'm nervous about it's success but I can at least see logical reasons why Solskjaer has decided to use Pogba in this way. Time will tell just how good a plan it is.
Interesting on Martial, has it worked? It's amazing that Ole has adopted 4-2-3-1 and we still don't have anyone for the RW role.

I agree that if Pogba matured and took the role on with discipline and commitment it could add something to our team, but other than for short stints with France he's never looked on it in the role, and in the PL especially I think he'll always be a risk defensively, especially when we don't have a top DM to sit next to him and protect the back 4 like he has with France.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Interesting on Martial, has it worked? It's amazing that Ole has adopted 4-2-3-1 and we still don't have anyone for the RW role.

I agree that if Pogba matured and took the role on with discipline and commitment it could add something to our team, but other than for short stints with France he's never looked on it in the role, and in the PL especially I think he'll always be a risk defensively, especially when we don't have a top DM to sit next to him and protect the back 4 like he has with France.
The plan looks to be to peg teams in their own half so the lack of a DM isn't such an issue, you just have to rely on the back 4 to snuff out the counter. Also a player like James helps with that style as he's got a hell of an engine. Not ideal not to have a quality DM option of course but the great United teams in the 90s never really used pure DMs, they had 1 or even 2 defensive box to box guys. Pogba and McTominay could play a similar sort of role I reckon.

Devil may care

The plan looks to be to peg teams in their own half so the lack of a DM isn't such an issue, you just have to rely on the back 4 to snuff out the counter. Also a player like James helps with that style as he's got a hell of an engine. Not ideal not to have a quality DM option of course but the great United teams in the 90s never really used pure DMs, they had 1 or even 2 defensive box to box guys. Pogba and McTominay could play a similar sort of role I reckon.
The game has moved on since the 90's though and Pogba isn't like those players, he's a bit of an enigma, if you look at even an ultra attacking, high pressing side like City, they still have an anchor man, and to me McTominay isn't the answer, decent squad option but not a starter for a club with the supposed ambitions we have, we should have been in the market for a top DM to replace Matic and let McTominay be Herrera's replacement, used in certain games.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The game has moved on since the 90's though and Pogba isn't like those players, he's a bit of an enigma, if you look at even an ultra attacking, high pressing side like City, they still have an anchor man, and to me McTominay isn't the answer, decent squad option but not a starter for a club with the supposed ambitions we have, we should have been in the market for a top DM to replace Matic and let McTominay be Herrera's replacement, used in certain games.
It has and it hasn't. That 99 team would have been title challengers in any year. In the end 4231 isn't much different from a 442 where you have a striker dropping off the front e.g. Rooney, Cantona, Sheringham. Yes obviously you have much more control if you have a DM who just sits, but it also limits the number of guys you can find in the box, and the opposition knows exactly where he's going to be at any given time. If you have guys who take it in turns to hold or go forward it gives you a bit more unpredictability. Look at Fernandinho even, he's great at popping up in places you don't expect him, Kanté too. Also, I'm coming at this from the perspective that we're still a work in progress, we don't need to be perfect in every position, we just need to be competitive and play some football again. Sancho and a class DM next year is still an option, we're not going to turn everything around in one summer.

Hammondo

Pogba is way too lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.