6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

I personally find it difficult to be hostile towards Pogba. I used to watch the academy at moss lane years ago - the Keane brothers, Morrison, Lingard and Pogba etc. I was only about 15 at the time but I actually believed that I was watching the future of United. I knew 2 academy players from school at that time, admittedly.

Despite coming from a foreign country he got right in with the local lads (I'll extend warrington to local in Lingards case). He was and still is well liked by those players and coaches. He was desperate to succeed here. It didn't happen. He went to Juve. He then became one of the most sought after players in the world. United, and many others, were desperate to get him. We broke the world transfer fee for him. He was ecstatic to be back. He must've been sold the dream by his friend, Jesse lingard. It all seemed perfect - we spent a fortune and had a proven manager in Jose. The club looked like it was finally getting it right after the failure of Moyes and LVG.
We all know what happened then - yet Pogba is still here.

Pogba will inevitably leave because he can win trophies for another club and he is also a massive scapegoat for United fans. The list of problems at the club are countless, starting with Woodward and then his appointments, and then their signings. To blame Pogba is just too easy, because of his price tag and persona.
I should go back and read threads more often.

Absolute outstanding post.

Woodward must be keeling over with laughter that the fans have chosen to scapegoat PP instead of him.

People will say go support Pogba FC but I stand by that post in its entirety; we have wasted our opportunity with one of footballs premier talents. He is not without blame, and his performances aren't always anywhere near the expected standard but he should never be the lone world class player in your squad.

Ole90+3

Zero chance of him being ready for next Sunday then if he's still wearing a cast. We are truly screwed. Not that Pogba tends to have just best games at Old Trafford against the top 4

0le

I wish him all the best when he inevitably leaves. Never warmed to his personality though.

fergiesarmy1

I think this is the issue. You’re expecting people to play like the 80/90s when things have completely changed since then.

nobody plays like that. Midfield now is a very different job to back then. You can count on 1 hand the amount of people who scored more than 10 goals from midfield last season, and some of those only come from the best/highest scoring teams in the country.

If our attack was at the standard of a proper united team pogba would be getting 10 assists a season and more space to score more goals as you request.

What he can’t allow himself to do is drop his performance levels below par but so far this year he hasn’t done that.
I just expect more of a player with his physique and talent, after year 2 I knew what I’d seen isn’t good enough to justify the hype.

I know par has dropped for us lately but really, his average rating on a united forum is 5.2 (and I ain’t voted once ;)) think he got three in the MEN against Rochdale and that was generous.

10 assists a season? Beckham and Giggs used to do that before Xmas, think De Bruyne is already in double figures. This is a player that reportedly wants to be paid £600,000 a week! to do that? feck me the standards have really dropped.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just expect more of a player with his physique and talent, after year 2 I knew what I’d seen isn’t good enough to justify the hype.

I know par has dropped for us lately but really, his average rating on a united forum is 5.2 (and I ain’t voted once ;)) think he got three in the MEN against Rochdale and that was generous.

10 assists a season? Beckham and Giggs used to do that before Xmas, think De Bruyne is already in double figures. This is a player that reportedly wants to be paid £600,000 a week! to do that? feck me the standards have really dropped.
Yet again though, you’re comparing him to wingers and attacking midfielders. Robson didn’t hit those numbers as a CM.

If pogba was playing as a CAM regularly I’d want 15 goals from him, but he isn’t doing that role right now.

De Bruyne is fantastic but we don’t have him, and we don’t have city’s forward line. Swap them over and I doubt you’d see much difference apart from a few individual quirks.

edgar allan

Yet again though, you’re comparing him to wingers and attacking midfielders. Robson didn’t hit those numbers as a CM.

If pogba was playing as a CAM regularly I’d want 15 goals from him, but he isn’t doing that role right now.

De Bruyne is fantastic but we don’t have him, and we don’t have city’s forward line. Swap them over and I doubt you’d see much difference apart from a few individual quirks.
Pogba isn't anywhere close to the same level as De Bruyne. De Bruyne would stand out in any team, he has a desire, workrate and application that Pogba can only dream off.

TrustInOle

When did he last control the midfield, I’ve seen him lose control plenty of times.
I never said he consistently controls, im saying he was brought in to, and for a fair amount of his time here, he has, and also contributed more to the team than almost, if not, everybody in terms of creativity.
Also let me point out he is human, who has recieved more media publicity and stigma than any other player whilst he has been here. Nobody can tell me, you could continue doing your best at whatever you do, when you are on the backlash of so much mainly because you are Paul Pogba and are an eay target when everyone else is targetting you.

My point being, since Fergie left, i havent seen a better footballer at this club than Pogba, and the under appreciation is shocking.

marktan

Shoulda just sold the fecker to Madrid. Could've bought some replacements, injured for half the season helps us not.

Not that he'd make any difference mind, our teams gash.

fergiesarmy1

I never said he consistently controls, im saying he was brought in to, and for a fair amount of his time here, he has, and also contributed more to the team than almost, if not, everybody in terms of creativity.
Also let me point out he is human, who has recieved more media publicity and stigma than any other player whilst he has been here. Nobody can tell me, you could continue doing your best at whatever you do, when you are on the backlash of so much mainly because you are Paul Pogba and are an eay target when everyone else is targetting you.

My point being, since Fergie left, i havent seen a better footballer at this club than Pogba, and the under appreciation is shocking.
Hang on, I’ll get my violin out for him.

One of the reasons there is resentment for him is he been a huge disappointment apart from the odd moments here and there when he could and should be as a senior player with the obvious talent he has helping this team and young players plus he’s been angling for a move since he virtually arrived here and never ever disputes anything his arse hat of a brother or fat prick agent says. Not a lot to appreciate for what he cost and earns mate. Seemingly played a huge part in Jose going also, not the type of player you want in a team if so.

More impressed with James who cost about as much as that gammy foot of his.

Untd55

There is no doubt that playing with dross such as McTominay will affect the performances of the player. I remember when Carrick used to get a lot of stick from fans, even though he had to carry our midfield which consisted of Cleverley, overweight Anderson and an over-the-hill Giggs (particularly in that game against Barcelona in the Champion's League final). I feel Carrick did what he could in the circumstances, and he successfully carried that midfield. However, I think that Carrick was more suited to carrying a midfield than Pogba because of the type of player he was.

Pogba will never dominate a midfield or be able to carry a midfield in terms of possession, defence and being a calming influence, which Carrick was good at. Pogba is purely an attacking player, which is not useful for carrying weaker midfield players. He can help carry the attack with goals and creativity, but not when he is being played further back like he is by Solskjaer.

This does not mean that Pogba is not guilty of poor performances due to himself. He can dally on the ball far too long and attempt tricks at a stupid time.

Overall, I don't think he has been as good as people expected because they were expecting him to be a dominant force in midfield. They were expecting him to be more of an all-rounder (that is what I was expecting, anyway), but he has turned out to be only good at the attacking side of the game. I think this has led to people being more disappointed than they normally would.

With our weak midfield, the absence of this defensive/possession-retaining ability is far more noticeable. On top of that, we haven't been able to see the best of his attacking play consistently because of our weak midfield, which is now worse than ever. Therefore, people are disappointed.

Last edited:

izzydiggler

Pogba will never dominate a midfield or be able to carry a midfield in terms of possession, defence and being a calming influence, which Carrick was good at. Pogba is purely an attacking player, which is not useful for carrying weaker midfield players. He can help carry the attack with goals and creativity, but not when he is being played further back like he is by Solskjaer.
There are loads of people that argue the opposite - that he’s not an attacking player and shouldn’t be judged against players that are.

It’s telling that the people watching every week for over 3 years can’t agree on what position he plays - he’s got natural ability for sure but doesn’t excel in any area. No matter where he plays he’s largely disappointing.

GenZRed

I really don't see why some people on here are bringing Ed Woodward into Paul Pogba's underwhelming performances. It isn't Woodward's fault if Pogba cannot perform as he should.

Pogba obviously doesn't care, as do most of our players. It is obviously a toxic dressing room with no squad harmony. That obviously isn't all Pogba's fault, but to blame Woodward for bad performances against Astana and Rochdale is bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:

fergiesarmy1

There are loads of people that argue the opposite - that he’s not an attacking player and shouldn’t be judged against players that are.

It’s telling that the people watching every week for over 3 years can’t agree on what position he plays - he’s got natural ability for sure but doesn’t excel in any area. No matter where he plays he’s largely disappointing.
He’s the worlds most expensive non defending, non attacking, non scoring quarter back midfielder if you combine everyone’s opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is he making it on Sunday? Less than a week away to get himself fit and ready
Based on video above there is a chance he should be available since he has started a phase 2 for his rehab. However, the risk to even play him in that game is equal to the reward especially in such a likely to be high intense game. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t dare to even playing him. We played him in arsenal and it wasn’t worthy since we didn’t get the 3 points. Probably best not doing the same mistake again.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That's just not true.

Halal Jalal

What makes you so sure? huh?
1. Ole is finished
2. Allegri is the best available manager
3. Allegri is supposedly interested in the job and learning English
4. PP might be persuaded to give us one more season (maybe even new contract depending on results)
5. Evra's hint on Insta

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
1. Ole is finished
2. Allegri is the best available manager
3. Allegri is supposedly interested in the job and learning English
4. PP might be persuaded to give us one more season (maybe even new contract depending on results)
5. Evra's hint on Insta
What hint?

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He will not be ready for Pool, and even if he was, he couldn't be available for more than 45 min, and even if he was ok and fit to play, he will be destroyed by Pool's midfield.

We are so bad

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If you have watched Pogba for the 3+ years he's been here and don't think he's been a disappointment then all I can say is I'm in disagreement.
I have been watching him since he became pro :lol: You can disagree of course, I will never make any stupid assumption about how long you may have been watching him though. What a disappointment indeed, all things considered..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Remarkably bad finishing from Mata in these clips. He was very clinical at one point.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If you have watched Pogba for the 3+ years he's been here and don't think he's been a disappointment then all I can say is I'm in disagreement.
Who hasn't ? Pogba's been better than almost everyone he's played with in that time.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Remarkably bad finishing from Mata in these clips. He was very clinical at one point.
You're right, some of those finishes are horrendous. Watching that, you'd think Pogba would thrive with someone like Kane ahead of him to finish those.

He might be lacking a natural finisher in front of him. If he had one his numbers would be excellent.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck it. He is the only one who is creative and can make things happen. Yet , we want him out.

Imagine having to play with Fred,Matic and McT everyweek. Then you have 2 inconsistent forwards infront of him.

Hawks2008

Feck it. He is the only one who is creative and can make things happen. Yet , we want him out.

Imagine having to play with Fred,Matic and McT everyweek. Then you have 2 inconsistent forwards infront of him.
Yeah but no passion and fight and doesn't run around nearly enough, lets sell him and replace him with lONGSTAFF :devil:

izzydiggler

Who hasn't ? Pogba's been better than almost everyone he's played with in that time.
People like McTominay are judged differently to Pogba...I'm not sure why people think this is a point of contention. If Pogba had broke through at 21 with nobody hearing of him, then you'd give him more slack. But he's a supposed world class superstar, who we bought for a world record fee...that he's been better than Lingard doesn't do much for me.

I don't think anyone thinks Pogba is solely responsible for his body of work whilst at United though...I just think for the money, hype, profile, circus around him, he's failed to deliver anything close to what some people seem to think he has. I'm not saying he's to completely to blame, I think he's very talented and maybe at a different club he'll be the superstar that some people think he is...but for the 3 years he's been here, he's been a massive disappointment. I don't see how anyone could think he's been a resounding success...just unfathomable to me.

If you or anyone else disagrees, fair enough but the defence of 'everyone else is shit too' is hardly a glowing endorsement. Nobody argues with "he's been brilliant", it's always excuses. My problem has never really been with Pogba anyway...I just think he's massively overrated, which isn't his fault - it's the acolytes on here that act as if he's the second coming that I can't get my head around.

OL29

For all the shit people talk about Pogba’s attitude, it’s interesting how well Thought of he is amongst his peers and the majority of coaches he’s worked with.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
People like McTominay are judged differently to Pogba...I'm not sure why people think this is a point of contention. If Pogba had broke through at 21 with nobody hearing of him, then you'd give him more slack. But he's a supposed world class superstar, who we bought for a world record fee...that he's been better than Lingard doesn't do much for me.

I don't think anyone thinks Pogba is solely responsible for his body of work whilst at United though...I just think for the money, hype, profile, circus around him, he's failed to deliver anything close to what some people seem to think he has. I'm not saying he's to completely to blame, I think he's very talented and maybe at a different club he'll be the superstar that some people think he is...but for the 3 years he's been here, he's been a massive disappointment. I don't see how anyone could think he's been a resounding success...just unfathomable to me.

If you or anyone else disagrees, fair enough but the defence of 'everyone else is shit too' is hardly a glowing endorsement. Nobody argues with "he's been brilliant", it's always excuses. My problem has never really been with Pogba anyway...I just think he's massively overrated, which isn't his fault - it's the acolytes on here that act as if he's the second coming that I can't get my head around.

I don't disagree that he's been disappointing but for me it's in relative terms....it's not just that he's been better than Lingard, he's been better than almost everybody. We are and have been the worst coached team in the league since LVG left. I'm a ST holder and the only team I ever see that doesn't have a game plan is us. You can say these are excuses, but they can also be reasons. There are reasons why we as a team are so poor and there are reasons why not one single individual has thrived at United, except perhaps DeGea, since SAF retired.

I'm not sure why all the focus is on Pogba, because he cost more? Because he's more talented? So we sell him first and keep the dross? Not for me

For me I'd only look at keeping McGuire, AWB, DeGea, Pogba, Martial and Rashford then perhaps James and the youngsters. I wouldn't lose sleep on any other player including McTomminay.

Also it's fine margins. There's literally a video above with 50 unbelievable passes mostly leading to chances that should have been scored. Granted no one will score them all but there's probably 30 there that realistically Ronaldo would finish. The Arsenal game I saw people say he was terrible. Yet he ticked the game over and kept things simple and helped us control midfield.....not enough you might say? But had Rashford scored one of the two chances, particularly the first one Pogba made for him and then Pogba's shot goes in instead of inches wide, suddenly that's a world class performance.

I'm just not sure that in a team with better players, more of his chances are finished and he has more chances to create more chances because he sees more of the ball, there's better movement and he knows what he's supposed to do, like citys and Liverpools players do due to coaching.

There are times when he's been downright poor, he's had a few spells of terrible form that I'd say is on him, but there's been games when he's been brilliant, really good, or good and they're overlooked because the team has been poor or we've lost or drew.

Lastly I've never seen a player so scrutinised. Palace at home for eg. He tackles Zaha in our half, who's trying to dribble (which is fine imo it happens, players get tackled) and within seconds we've equalised. Later in the game Pogba turns in the opponents half and is looking for a pass, he gets tackled on the blindside and they go on to score, despite shocking defending and Sunday league goalkeeping, Pogba is blamed, he only got tackled? Happens all the time.
If that was the other way round and we'd won the game after Zaha had been tackled there's no way any focus would be on that.

Anytime I see a negative story about United it's Pogba's picture next to it. He's made the poster boy of our failures. It's no surprise people see him as the main culprit.

Also you say circus but I really don't see it, Beckham was a circus pre social media, Rooney was a circus. Pogba ? I rarely see him on social media. Rarely see him pictured outside of playing or training. Didn't even know his gf was pregnant ? He's flamboyant and has haircuts but I'm not sure how that's an issue.

I think a lot of I'll feeling is brought on by the media, I'm not surprised he'd be happy to move on ,he can't feel appreciated here in the time he's been back and he's the scapegoat despite the fact that everything I hear from Carrington is different from the person people claim he is.

hn4manunited

nevermind who wants him out. He wants out...been wanting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.