g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paul Pogba image 6

Paul Pogba France flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Can we talk about the penalty? Putting Bruno on notice for next season with that one. Class penalty, class goal, class performance.

bsCallout

I wish I had the energy to quote them and I don't think they should be ignored.
They should be ignored just as much as those calling Bruno ****. Some people arent coming to debate in good faith or be objective. They are being reactionary after little moments.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
For what it's worth here, but the view from a non united fan...

Pogba was outstanding yesterday and has been for much of the tournament. He does not deserve to go out after his performance. As I said in the euro thread. He's a fecking sublime player and we saw that again yesterday, the thing is looking in from the outside, I think we've seen it plenty of times for United as well, not always of course, but he has had some amazing games for you lot. I think he's a brilliant player and you're lucky to have him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Not really. People are playing down Pogba's WC performances in a manner seemingly reserved for him alone. Ronaldo or Messi put on a truly great display giving the ball away once, nobody says "typical Messi, brilliant in general but always has a cock up in him, that lad".

amolbhatia50k

For what it's worth here, but the view from a non united fan...

Pogba was outstanding yesterday and has been for much of the tournament. He does not deserve to go out after his performance. As I said in the euro thread. He's a fecking sublime player and we saw that again yesterday, the thing is looking in from the outside, I think we've seen it plenty of times for United as well, not always of course, but he has had some amazing games for you lot. I think he's a brilliant player and you're lucky to have him.
We have seen it from him at United at times, but not enough , I'd say. I agree that Pogba has been phenomenal in this WC. But at the same time, I maintain that he has some key weaknesses that make him a bad fit for a team that's been disjoined/struggling for much of his time at Manchester United. He's someone who gets a bit exposed (but can also be brilliant ) for a not so great, but really shines when you cover his weaknesses with the right support. The issue is how do you get that out of him alongside Bruno. Not taking anything away from him - brilliant in this WC.

jesperjaap

Neville has an agenda, always has been against Pogba.. I don’t think Keane does. Being grumpy & miserable is his thing. He gives Pogba plenty of praise but questions his work rate & discipline. It’s fair, and I’m a Pogba fan.
I agree he actually gives Pogba more plaudits than the vast majority of players in what I think is a very honest appraisal. You can see he highly rates his ability but is frustrated with him at the same time. And that sums up my feelings on him.

Pogba does have everything in his locker. He has great power to shield the ball with his body, powerful runs, a good shot, quality technique in tight areas, strength to win the ball and a wonderful range of passing. But for all of this and the wonderful things he can produce in games his performances at his peak years are still not consistently great for us and the are still many instances of sloppy play even within good games. We are talking about our record signing and one of hte most talented players in the world at his peak years not a 20year old with potential world class ability and that is why he divides his opinion purely as a football player not even including a lot of what goes with it off the field.

bsCallout

Not really. People are playing down Pogba's WC performances in a manner seemingly reserved for him alone. Ronaldo or Messi put on a truly great display giving the ball away once, nobody says "typical Messi, brilliant in general but always has a cock up in him, that lad".
That's because they don't typically do that, in the middle of the pitch with the team then going on to score. Pogba has done that a lot for United.

Pogba put in arguably the performance of the tournament last night but he still has that mistake that we've seen regularly enough for United that can cost a team.

If we were seeing Ronaldo or Messi make mistakes in dangerous areas or at bad times then they'd get the same criticism.

Why do you seem to think acknowledging that he makes that mistake overshadowed his otherwise great performance? You cant just pretend it didn't happen and pretend it was a faultless game because you want to.

tomaldinho1

Again, it’s easier to regurgitate something than to challenging it. Often times on this forum people call out blatantly false/non applicable assertions these same pundits make. Keane might have been joking, but fact of the matter is, the joke, if indeed one, is rooted in truth. That’s not to say that Vieira is incapable of forming his own views or is scared of Keane, that’s your leap, if you want to argue that you’re moving away from the core of my posts, nor that that’s what happens 24/7, simply that it’s not shocking to see pundits agreeing with their colleagues even if whatever they say isn’t necessarily reflective of reality, so it’s not the smoking gun to validate the “if they’re all saying it then it’s the truth, cause they can’t all have an agenda” people think it is
Keane was joking. I feel like you’re going a bit deep into something that’s actually really simple - people like to criticise Pogba and Pogba made an error. Put that together and of course it takes up a disproportionate amount of time rather than them seriously questioning Mbappe for example.

Pundits get paid to express an opinion, I don’t think there’s much truth in them all sticking together like sheep. Feel free to disagree, it’s not something I think anyone is that passionate about but that’s my two cents.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That's because they don't typically do that, in the middle of the pitch with the team then going on to score. Pogba has done that a lot for United.

Pogba put in arguably the performance of the tournament last night but he still has that mistake that we've seen regularly enough for United that can cost a team.

If we were seeing Ronaldo or Messi make mistakes in dangerous areas or at bad times then they'd get the same criticism.

Why do you seem to think acknowledging that he makes that mistake overshadowed his otherwise great performance? You cant just pretend it didn't happen and pretend it was a faultless game because you want to.
I was drafting a similar reply

Remember back to the Scotland v Czech game, the Scottish midfielder got a lot of criticism for taking the shot on which resulted in the Czech goal from the half way line. If you lose the ball in dangerous areas and it results in a goal against it's going to be analysed especially if it ends up resulting in a negative score line

Pogba was brilliant last night but what happened happened unfortunately

tomaldinho1

If NT performances are what separate men from boys, Pogba is a man. What is a bigger responsibility than the NT? Some greats in football history are more notable for their NT performances than anything else. He has always been great for France, like in the 2018 World Cup too. And he was by far France's best player today and in the tournament. If there is one France player that goes out with his head high, it's him.

Losing a ball and suffering a goal is something that can happen to everyone. See Rivaldo against Nigeria in 1996 Olympics. Or Messi against City in the first leg of UCL Round of 16 in 2015.

Even Zidane, France's best player ever and consistenly a star for them, was often very inconsistent in a weekly basis for his clubs.
I think most people you’ve quoted, myself included, are defending Pogba but also pointing out the criticism isn’t random or just a an attack for the sake of it, he did make an error and ultimately it brought the equaliser.

Every attacking player is inconsistent and this is Pogba’s issue - I feel he’s an offensive midfielder, maybe even a pure 10, but he will always be under scrutiny/make errors when in CM because of decision making.

I can only repeat what I’ve already said - last night he was actually really good but the sad truth of football these days is errors generate more headlines and debate and it’s a shame this is the focus of the discussion and not the wonderful goal and the chances he created.

amolbhatia50k

Actually, you're pretending that faultless game's are actually a thing. There was a lot to do for Switzerland after they won the ball back, the CB's defending was costly. Messi and Ronaldo do give the ball away in dangerous areas, it happens in football. One slightly weak turnaround of possession is a fantastic performance is barely a footnote.

I was drafting a similar reply

Remember back to the Scotland v Czech game, the Scottish midfielder got a lot of criticism for taking the shot on which resulted in the Czech goal from the half way line. If you lose the ball in dangerous areas and it results in a goal against it's going to be analysed especially if it ends up resulting in a negative score line

Pogba was brilliant last night but what happened happened unfortunately
Yes a lot of his team mates didn't turn up, is what happened.

Sylar

The pundits highlighting him for the first goal was so unfair
It was a tremendous performance and tbh he's been the best player of the tournament. But saying that he did what he does so much at United and it was unnecessary at 3-2 up. He held onto the ball too much and was robbed without knowing what was around him. He could have released it earlier

When he does the simple stuff, hes the best at it. When he over thinks it that's when the frustration happens

His goal was worthy of winning a game but his mistake was worthy of the equaliser

Glad he scored his penalty too

bsCallout

Actually, you're pretending that faultless game's are actually a thing. There was a lot to do for Switzerland after they won the ball back, the CB's defending was costly. Messi and Ronaldo do give the ball away in dangerous areas, it happens in football. One slightly weak turnaround of possession is a fantastic performance is barely a footnote.

Yes a lot of his team mates didn't turn up, is what happened.
So now you're just excusing Pogba because his teammates also weren't great in that moment. That's not how it works I'm afraid.

Pogba lost the ball in an important moment, his team were not in shape and it allowed the Swiss to counter quickly and score. We know Pogba seems to lack game management skills, if you'll call it that, the ability to know what to do in key moments. He's demonstrated that a lot and he did it again last night.

Without Pogba last night, France probably got beat by even more, but you continue to pretend the one thing he did wrong wasn't impactful or didn't matter and wasn't a reflection of something we've seen at United since he's been here.

Had Pogba just put that ball into the corner straight away then France would still be in the tournament. That's not just a footnote, even if you'd like it to be.

Messi and Ronaldo don't lose the ball in key moments, in key areas, certainly not enough for it to be something we know them to do. There is a reason it's highlighted with Pogba, because he's done it a few too many times.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That was his first goal for France since the world cup final incredibly. That shocked me.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
4 key passes, 5 dribbles and an incredible goal.
Still not enough. Acted like an arrogant tw*t, stiffled the opponents so they upped their game, initiated the opponent's equalizer.
Gloom and loom. Pogba's whole career story in one game.

Lewnited

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so desperate to put down one of their top players :lol:

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so desperate to put down one of their top players :lol:
I used to hate on Madrid fans for being utter scumbags to their players, even Ronaldo suffered some boos, Bale suffered plenty. The list is long.
Thing is, the past years have shown me that we are utterly horrendous, Nani, Pogba, Lukaku, my God even Zlatan was utterly slated by plenty when I went to matches, we create a pretty fecking toxic environment for some of our own players, then act more disgusted that they seem to drop their heads somewhat.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Still not enough. Acted like an arrogant tw*t, stiffled the opponents so they upped their game, initiated the opponent's equalizer.
Gloom and loom. Pogba's whole career story in one game.
More like ignorant twitter tweets summed in one post.

amolbhatia50k

So now you're just excusing Pogba because his teammates also weren't great in that moment. That's not how it works I'm afraid.

Pogba lost the ball in an important moment, his team were not in shape and it allowed the Swiss to counter quickly and score. We know Pogba seems to lack game management skills, if you'll call it that, the ability to know what to do in key moments. He's demonstrated that a lot and he did it again last night.

Without Pogba last night, France probably got beat by even more, but you continue to pretend the one thing he did wrong wasn't impactful or didn't matter and wasn't a reflection of something we've seen at United since he's been here.

Had Pogba just put that ball into the corner straight away then France would still be in the tournament. That's not just a footnote, even if you'd like it to be.

Messi and Ronaldo don't lose the ball in key moments, in key areas, certainly not enough for it to be something we know them to do. There is a reason it's highlighted with Pogba, because he's done it a few too many times.
There it is. He was terrific which is the entire point. That he made one mistake doesn't affect that, everybody does. Just because someone else giving the ball away doesn't result in the team getting punished isn't Pogba's fault. He could have kept it but shit happens, there are no perfect performances. Had Mbappe finished one of his gazillion chances France would be in the tournament. Had the defender not got so poorly beaten after Pogba got dispossessed France would be in it. Had 3-4 other team mates who were piss poor been 1/3rd as good as Pogba on the night, they would have walked the game. He was fantastic.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
During the game you could tell that there were 'fans' almost glad that his mistake led to a goal, it's madness.

I didn't want him to leave, but I honestly wouldn't begrudge him now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don’t know what anyone is thinking if they believe United are better off without Pogba. It’s testament to how badly our footballing side is run that we signed him expecting him to be the midfield, as opposed to developing a midfield and whole team to give him the platform to shine.

Conor

That mistake from Pogba is just what he does, you can never protect against it. It would happen if he had 5 DMs behind him in a formation, you just have to accept that at some point in most games, he is going to lose the ball in a dangerous position in midfield, when his team are pushing up(because they believe themselves to be in safe possession of the ball). Everything else he did far outshone that 1 mistake, he literally put it on a plate for 3/4 people, scored an insane goal, and a perfect penalty. If anyone should be blamed in the France team for last night, it's Mbappe, as he was absolutely awful, capping it off with a terrible penalty.

Viera and Keane etc. view Pogba through their own lenses, when in reality, he does things as a midfielder that they could have only dreamed of doing. He is never going to be that type of diligent midfielder, while also creating the chances he does.

Lewnited

I used to hate on Madrid fans for being utter scumbags to their players, even Ronaldo suffered some boos, Bale suffered plenty. The list is long.
Thing is, the past years have shown me that we are utterly horrendous, Nani, Pogba, Lukaku, my God even Zlatan was utterly slated by plenty when I went to matches, we create a pretty fecking toxic environment for some of our own players, then act more disgusted that they seem to drop their heads somewhat.
Agreed, it's insanity. Pogba is one of our truly top players, yet we have posters on here foaming at the mouth ready to jump on any mistake he makes in an international tournament. God forbid we all just appreciate a United player putting on a good display on the world stage and move on. Bruno seems to be the next target for this as well. Horribly toxic.

During the game you could tell that there were 'fans' almost glad that his mistake led to a goal, it's madness.

Yup, feel the same way.

romufc

That mistake from Pogba is just what he does, you can never protect against it
Correct, the only problem with United is he does that 3/4 times a game which really puts our defence in trouble.

The difference is at United, we do not have the same runners up front for him to create 3/4 chances a game.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

He wont leave this summer.

Nobody will pay a fee for him nor match his wages here. He isn't as in demand as him and his agent think.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a player. Majestic performance.

So glad he did it on the big stage again, nobody can doubt his talents.

The agenda really is alive and well too, I can't believe the studio pundits still gave him criticism after that.

Where was the hate for Mbappe playing like Agbonlahor? Kante completely missing?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He wont leave this summer.

Nobody will pay a fee for him nor match his wages here. He isn't as in demand as him and his agent think.
I quite honestly don't understand why PSG aren't after him instead of paying 70M for a full back. Their midfield is crying for a creator half as good as Pogba to supply their forward line.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’ve not seen anything mentioned anywhere, perhaps others have….has anyone criticised the Swiss player Pogba tackled on the edge of the Swiss box, which led to Frances second goal?

amolbhatia50k

What a player. Majestic performance.

So glad he did it on the big stage again, nobody can doubt his talents.

The agenda really is alive and well too, I can't believe the studio pundits still gave him criticism after that.

Where was the hate for Mbappe playing like Agbonlahor? Kante completely missing?
Exactly. And it's not like that loss of possession broke him. He grew in extra time again and responded with creating even more chances for his team mates to cock up.

amolbhatia50k

I’ve not seen anything mentioned anywhere, perhaps others have….has anyone criticised the Swiss player Pogba tackled on the edge of the Swiss box, which led to Frances second goal?
His name probably wasn't Paul Pogba.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Exactly. And it's not like that loss of possession broke him. He grew in extra time again and responded with creating even more chances for his team mates to cock up.
It just frustrates the hell out of me that somebody like KDB could lose the ball in exactly the same way, but not one mention would be made of it.

It's this sort of thing that rubs off to the neutrals that can't make a decision for themselves. Pogba is just held to a different standard of any player I've ever watched.

Devil81

I'm now starting to wonder if we can have two expressive individuals like Bruno and Pogba in the same eleven. Both give the ball away at times as they are creative players that take risks with passes or maybe want that extra time on the ball to look for the perfect pass.

I don't know if it's too much of a burden for the team to allow both to do the same role and Pogba can't play as one of the two behind Bruno, you're basically denying him the creative freedom he thrives off.

Conor

It just frustrates the hell out of me that somebody like KDB could lose the ball in exactly the same way, but not one mention would be made of it.

It's this sort of thing that rubs off to the neutrals that can't make a decision for themselves. Pogba is just held to a different standard of any player I've ever watched.
The main reason that people will harp on about a single incident like this with Pogba, is because it happens time and time again. You can say all you want about his performance last night, I have already said it was excellent, but not even the most ardent Pogba supporter can say that he hasn't made that sort of mistake over and over for Utd. KDB simply doesn't do that on a regular basis, so why would anyone talk about it to the same extent? Also, any player in the world makes that mistake that leads directly to a goal is going to have something said about it, let's be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.