Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

On the BBC so as good as for me.

Thought a while back that we probably see him on below Pogba's current wage or in and around it. I didn't think we were ever going to crazy for him. He wanted compensating for coming and we weren't willing to pay such wages.

DownRiver

This pride thing with United is stupid. World class players do not want to go to a team not in the UCL.

Dybala is at stage where he feels unwanted but also wants autonomy in his decision, and so it would be natural to resist an prospect where his future is not in his hands.

Furthermore, it's hypocritical to keep Pogba who said a few ago that he wants a "new challenge" but then feed news of only wanting players who want to play for United.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why wouldn't he want the best deal possible for himself?
He currently earns 6.5m per year, we offered him 11m that is almost 70% increase on his current wage. If he wants more money than that then why am I wrong to call him a mercenary? If everyone is looking for best deal possible is not called a mercenary than the term shouldn't even exist for this sport.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
On the BBC so as good as for me.

Thought a while back that we probably see him on below Pogba's current wage or in and around it. I didn't think we were ever going to crazy for him. He wanted compensating for coming and we weren't willing to pay such wages.
I know this is likely dead and buried now, but a little bit of me thinks it's not over just yet, and after training tomorrow things will heat up again.
To be fair, i'd like it if we had a nice offer for Lukaku overnight and accepted it meaning this was over for good.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I want him here, but I feel it’s that he’s been kicked out the door by Juventus rather than wanting to join us. If Utd decide to pull the plug because of his demands so be it. I’m sure it’s an upgrade on what he’s currently on so he can do one if he’s looking for crazy wages.
Yeap that's what it looks like to me also and Im ok about it.

spiriticon

Wow... some 'fans' on here really take pleasure in seeing us getting done over by greedy footballers over and over and over again.

It's beyond masochism.

Patrick08

More pertinent, is he a player that naturally fits into our team? I don't see it. It struck me that we got the opportunity to potentially buy a player without any forethought on where he would play. We should never have wasted our time on this.
He was a Woodward fascination all along to get a good deal out of selling Lukaku all along. We have a bunch of no 10 including pogba who can play 10. Why will the manager disturb the balance and dynamics of the whole squad by signing a 10.

Andersons Dietician

You would think if it’s a tactic by United they wouldn’t have mentioned anything (if they even have) about questions over his desires to join United. Because let’s just say that there is a turnaround and he’s told by Juventus he has no future there and United are his only choice. Really crews up the perception of his arrival.

Anyway if he isn’t interested we move to the Kai Havertz thread. Get on it Ed.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm just badly worried that midfield deficiencies are going to render the defensive reinforcements null and void - as things stand we will be so easy to play through and the back line will be exposed.

We are also light years behind the rest of the top six in goals, as you allude to. It's another slog of a season I'm afraid mate
We're definitely not light years behind Chelsea in terms of goals and probably not Spurs either. Chelsea have even less proven goalscorer than us. Spurs have Kane and Song but not many goals come from elsewhere.

I think at a push you get 40-50 goals from Rashford and Martial, but then you're still relying on a LOT of goals from elsewhere and I just don't see it, even if James and Greenwood both have good seasons, and Sanchez, Lingard, Mata etc. chip in, it's still pushing it. Ole seems to overate our attacking players.

Midfield is just weird as we obviously need someone there. We're relying on Mctominay and Fred to step up massively just to have decent options.

I don't think it'll necessarily be a slog if we play a better brand of football. I think Bissaka and Maguire can potentially make a big difference....but we're looking at competing for 4th. That's always been the reality after the mess Woodward and co created last season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He was a Woodward fascination all along to get a good deal out of selling Lukaku all along. We have a bunch of no 10 including pogba who can play 10. Why will the manager disturb the balance and dynamics of the whole squad by signing a 10.
Exactly

Which is why I'm laughing at people saying us pulling the plug proves that we have learned lessons as a club

The very fact we have got sucked in shows that are still run by the same stupid guiding principles

20solskjaer

Hope we don’t sign him. Not bowing to his wage demands will put out a message that we want footballers who want to play for Utd and not mercenaries.
It also sends the message that we’re not willing to pay the going rate for top players

Dangerous game to play, you don’t improve by signing players based on how eager they are to play for the club, the only way we get back to where we belong is buying players of the quality of dybala,

mu4c_20le

This pride thing with United is stupid. World class players do not want to go to a team not in the UCL.

Dybala is at stage where he feels unwanted but also wants autonomy in his decision, and so it would be natural to resist an prospect where his future is not in his hands.

Furthermore, it's hypocritical to keep Pogba who said a few ago that he wants a "new challenge" but then feed news of only wanting players who want to play for United.
That seems to be coming from United fans, or journos adding their opinion to it. The official line from Ducker/Stone is that we've ended our interest due to his demands. I dont think Woody cares that much about a players desire or we wouldn't have let this play out so long

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
What kind answer is that, a mercenary would mean that he lacks ethics and put money above everything else.
Okay my definition for mercenary must be skewed. I meant that he only cares about money and has nothing to do with the club ala AdM. That's why I don't want him here anymore.

Stubble

Another case of Ed wasting time on 'galactico' signings whilst some areas we seriously need to address are ignored and good quality suitable players missed out on.
Quicker we get a DOF the better we're becoming a laughing stock its same story every window - i.e. wasting half of it on players that are only coming for ridiculous amounts of £££ or just looking for a pay rise etc from their current club.
If the guy does actually come likely it'll be Di Maria all over again.. forget this and sign Longstaff and/or Fernandes - players in positions we need who actually want to come here ! Though its probably too late now we've wasted so much time on this none starter Sheesh !

ReallyUSA

He didn't want to come so he priced himself out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Okay my definition for mercenary must be skewed. I meant that he only cares about money and has nothing to do with the club ala AdM. That's why I don't want him here anymore.
And who told you that he only cares about money?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We're definitely not light years behind Chelsea in terms of goals and probably not Spurs either. Chelsea have even less proven goalscorer than us. Spurs have Kane and Song but not many goals come from elsewhere.

I think at a push you get 40-50 goals from Rashford and Martial, but then you're still relying on a LOT of goals from elsewhere and I just don't see it, even if James and Greenwood both have good seasons, and Sanchez, Lingard, Mata etc. chip in, it's still pushing it. Ole seems to overate our attacking players.

Midfield is just weird as we obviously need someone there. We're relying on Mctominay and Fred to step up massively just to have decent options.

I don't think it'll necessarily be a slog if we play a better brand of football. I think Bissaka and Maguire can potentially make a big difference....but we're looking at competing for 4th. That's always been the reality after the mess Woodward and co created last season.
I forgot about Chelsea and agree they will struggle

Spurs have 50 goals guaranteed from Kane and Son, while Alli and Moura will both chip in with a good number.

I think it's a stretch to expect 40 from Rashford and Martial, neither have broken 20 in their careers so far

I think you're right — we will be floating somewhere between 4th and 6th, which means it's another season of not really progressing

I don't understand why we don't just sensibly address our problems and go after normal targets instead of these stupid galactico links

Patrick08

Another case of Ed wasting time on 'galactico' signings whilst some areas we seriously need to address are ignored and good quality suitable players missed out on.
Quicker we get a DOF the better we're becoming a laughing stock its same story every window - i.e. wasting half of it on players that are only coming for ridiculous amounts of £££ or just looking for a pay rise etc from their current club.
If the guy does actually come likely it'll be Di Maria all over again.. forget this and sign Longstaff and/or Fernandes - players in positions we need who actually want to come here !
Could have demanded inter more and competed for pepe, but NaH .. we are a Disneyland , we need marketable headline making deals.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He currently earns 6.5m per year, we offered him 11m that is almost 70% increase on his current wage. If he wants more money than that then why am I wrong to call him a mercenary? If everyone is looking for best deal possible is not called a mercenary than the term shouldn't even exist for this sport.
It's very frequently misattributed term.

Let's look at Dybala and his situation.

His club don't want him and he doesn't want to leave so when talking to any possible new club he's well within his right to ask for what he's worth. His current deal as you say is 6.5 Million a year, which was signed in 2013 (and extended in 2017) when he was around 20 year old. He is now 25 and approaching his peak years as a footballer. Him asking for 11 Million I don't think is totally unacceptable. Upon joining, He would instantly be one of our best players and I think he would be within his right to expect parity with our best players. If he stayed at Juventus he would be due a decent pay bump I would imagine so why wouldn't he expect that at United.

Fridge chutney

More pertinent, is he a player that naturally fits into our team? I don't see it. It struck me that we got the opportunity to potentially buy a player without any forethought on where he would play. We should never have wasted our time on this.
I agree with you there. I'd be curious to hear Ole's real thoughts on all of this.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It also sends the message that we’re not willing to pay the going rate for top players

Dangerous game to play, you don’t improve by signing players based on how eager they are to play for the club, the only way we get back to where we belong is buying players of the quality of dybala,
We don’t need the best players to climb, we need good players willing to improve.

Look at Liverpool and Tottenham, made steady solid purchases that improved them and got much better. They didn’t need bale or dybala.

We need to aim for the next salah, eriksen, mane etc..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Think we’ve genuinely called it a day while Juventus and Dybala’s agent still want it to happen for obvious reasons and the journos on Twitter are more than happy for it to rumble on.

red thru&thru

This is one of 2 things:

1) United putting pressure on Dybala and his agent to lower wage demands.

2) United asserting a new philosophy of not accepting players who do not want to join.

Either way, I'm ok with it.
This. I actually prefer number 2 of the two.

cyberman

Exactly

Which is why I'm laughing at people saying us pulling the plug proves that we have learned lessons as a club

The very fact we have got sucked in shows that are still run by the same stupid guiding principles
We walked away after a week, how were we sucked in?
If any CEO ever has the chance for a straight swap with Lukaku and Dybala and doesnt explore it then he should be fired on the spot quite frankly.
Its Juve that's made a balls of this, not United.

Status
Not open for further replies.