Pep Guardiola: "Raiola offered me Mkhitaryan and Pogba two months ago.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No chance Fergie would have brought Pogba back, as much for not allowing a character like Raiola so much leverage at the club as football matters. Not that Fergie was spotless here, his relationship with Mendes did not always help the club(Bebe) but at least there seemed to be some trust there.

Lukaku is a Raiola client isn't he? Zlatan was as well, wonder if that new contract for him, even when injured, was about keeping Raiola happy as much as Zlat.
Now you are talking. Also, the dynamic between, agents, Woodward, Mou... I bet the fly on the wall docu of behind the scenes at OT, the back-stabbing, intrigue, unlikely alliances and sheer lula level of drama would easily rival a top end Homeland season.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Very strange thing for Guardiola to say. Even if true surely you don't comment on players from other teams transfer wise unless you have agreed to sign them. Kind of disrespectful to MU.

Tincanalley

That is not what was said at all... ffs.

Railo on Pep.
"Pep Guardiola, the coach, is fantastic. As a person he’s an absolute zero. He’s a coward, a dog,” Raiola said.

Peps Response Exact Words.
"Why the offer? He was interested in Mkhitaryan and Pogba to play with us? So he has to protect his players and has to know he cannot bring the players to a guy like me, like a dog.
“And comparing a dog is bad. It’s not good. He has to respect the dogs.
Yeah, did a bit of scrutiny on it, and your reading of it is right @padr81, he has been called a dog, and he is reacting vehemently against that.

Pep: So, finally the people discover my secrets. I am a bad guy. I am a coward. I don't understand why I am a so-bad guy, well I never (have spoken) with (Raiola), so (what) influenced (his) opinion (of me) I don't know. Maybe for you he will explain many things about me, but... Like, two months ago he offered me Mkhitarian and Pogba to play with us. Why?

Journo: Two months ago?

Pep: Yeah. Why the offer (to see if) we were interested in Mkhitarian and Pogba to play with us? So, I'm a bad guy, so he has to protect his players. So, he has to know that he cannot bring his players to a guy like me, like a dog. And comparing (me to) a dog is bad. It's not good. He has to respect ... dogs. [Nervous titter among press corps]

Journo: Did you not have space for Pogba here, then?

Pep. Pogba is an exceptional player. A top, top player.

Journo: When you were told that, what did you think of it, the situation?

Pep: I said no. We don't have money enough to buy Pogba. Because he's so expensive.

Journo: But you must have been surprised that that was even a possibility

Pep: Why - surprised because I am a dog. So that's why, (I am) so like a dog he wouldn't chance to join his players to here. So, no.​

Very bitter against that agent, that is for sure. I don't think its strategic, or if so that's just secondary to putting a wedge between Raiola and his players, and doing as much damage to the agent as possible.

Tincanalley

He's doing United a favour by exposing Raiola regarding his actions behind your club's back which concerns one of your players. He's also doing Pogba a favour if Pogba doesn't know anything about it, or also exposing Pogba if he does.

Of course you won't sell Pogba to your rival and Guardiola also said "we can't buy him, he's too expensive". Here the aim is to expose a blood sucker agent trying to whore your player behind their back, maybe to get him a lucrative new contract or to market his availability to several rival clubs to get lucrative offers?

Would you rather not know? Do you think Jose or your club would rather not know?

Sure they could've quietly told United people through proper channels but what better way to expose a guy like Raiola and his actions like slapping him on the face with this and leaving the matter to United to deal with?

It could also be possible that Pep might've shared this information with Jose before..
Possible.

tomaldinho1

I bet this stuff goes on in football every week - as soon as someone's benched their agent starts hitting the phone. Luke Shaw has probably been offered to every club under the sun for example and I'd bet City players have been offered to United along the way.

pre-derby there's next to nothing at stake so they need something to make it juicy, which will now allow a flood of articles about 'what if Pep had Pog', 'did Sanchez choose right?', 'KDB's escape from Mou'.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, did a bit of scrutiny on it, and your reading of it is right @padr81, he has been called a dog, and he is reacting vehemently against that.

Pep: So, finally the people discover my secrets. I am a bad guy. I am a coward. I don't understand why I am a so-bad guy, well I never (have spoken) with (Raiola), so (what) influenced (his) opinion (of me) I don't know. Maybe for you he will explain many things about me, but... Like, two months ago he offered me Mkhitarian and Pogba to play with us. Why?

Journo: Two months ago?

Pep: Yeah. Why the offer (to see if) we were interested in Mkhitarian and Pogba to play with us? So, I'm a bad guy, so he has to protect his players. So, he has to know that he cannot bring his players to a guy like me, like a dog. And comparing (me to) a dog is bad. It's not good. He has to respect ... dogs. [Nervous titter among press corps]

Journo: Did you not have space for Pogba here, then?

Pep. Pogba is an exceptional player. A top, top player.

Journo: When you were told that, what did you think of it, the situation?

Pep: I said no. We don't have money enough to buy Pogba. Because he's so expensive.

Journo: But you must have been surprised that that was even a possibility

Pep: Why - surprised because I am a dog. So that's why, (I am) so like a dog he wouldn't chance to join his players to here. So, no.​

Very bitter against that agent, that is for sure. I don't think its strategic, or if so that's just secondary to putting a wedge between Raiola and his players, and doing as much damage to the agent as possible.
Yup still wish he hadn't done it though, don't want him getting into a war of words with Jose. It nearly broke him last time.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Journalists not happy

Understandable. These are probably the biggest quotes in a press conference all season.

Ffs precious wankers.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Poor guy will probably get burnt out again. As long as Jose and him are in the same league He'll never be able to live in peace.
They're both like arch-enemies and Jose can be a prick, He likes these type of things and now has Raiola on his side. Wrong move Pep.

POF

I doubt there was ever any plan to try and move Pogba or Mhikitaryan to City, but being able to say City are interested gets Mhikitaryan more money when hee negotiates with Arsenal, and Pogba more money whether he stays at United or moves.

Not sure why it's a particularly surprising thing for an agent to do...particularly one with little shame. I also highly doubt he "offered" them to Pep if the two of them hate each other so much. To City maybe, but he wouldn't exactly have phoned Pep direct and said "hey mate, I've got these two players who can help you"

Guardiola really needs to just stick to talking about actual on the pitch football, because whenever he strays away from it he just comes across as a complete idiot.
or

3- It happened with the consent of the player (maybe to try and get better terms with us given we signed Sanchez around that time) and Pogba is doing the natural thing of denying it because it can't be proven.
I completely agree with these posts. The Sanchez move has clearly unsettled Pogba and I would be surprised if Raiola wasn't shopping him around every big club in Europe to get him a better contract (either at United or elsewhere).

If he wants a better contract his best approach would be to start playing better.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The whole world knows how Raiola is but it's possible that you (the club) didn't know how he was dealing behind your back by offering your players to your rival. The world also knows that you won't sell Pogba to City but that doesn't matter. It's a double cross by an agent who just last week or so attacked Guardiola in public by calling him names while apparently also was offering your players to him (or rather to City) just 2 months ago.

I don't think your club will be greatly shaken by this, but it will further weaken Raiola in his business with United. Pogba should be asked by the club to deny any knowledge of this and fire his agent or face consequences. Do you like dealing with Raiola?
Yeah, we should thank a saint Pep for putting this in public for the media to start writing shit like they always do with out club.

What a noble saint, now they’ll have something to write about instead of City’s big loss rob Liverpool.

We knew what we were in for when we got Pogba back. Pep butting his nose into the matter is another matter. Classless as usual for him to be mentioning about other clubs players and getting away with it scot free.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
What is this expectation that guardiola should or shouldn’t do anything? He is basically like any one else who would try to do whatever it takes to get an edge ahead of big match. And Raiola is a cnut. We knew that at best of times.
Yes we all know. The issue is that some City fans are pushing the agenda that Pep is a saint and has no ulterior motives for saying this in a press conference right before the derby.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
The whole thing is a shit show. Nobody comes out free of the stench that has been created from it.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He's doing United a favour by exposing Raiola regarding his actions behind your club's back which concerns one of your players. He's also doing Pogba a favour if Pogba doesn't know anything about it, or also exposing Pogba if he does.

Of course you won't sell Pogba to your rival and Guardiola also said "we can't buy him, he's too expensive". Here the aim is to expose a blood sucker agent trying to whore your player behind their back, maybe to get him a lucrative new contract or to market his availability to several rival clubs to get lucrative offers?

Would you rather not know? Do you think Jose or your club would rather not know?

Sure they could've quietly told United people through proper channels but what better way to expose a guy like Raiola and his actions like slapping him on the face with this and leaving the matter to United to deal with?

It could also be possible that Pep might've shared this information with Jose before..
:lol: Pep football coach and also detective like Sherlock Holmes.

extincti fugax hominum

Absolutely loathe this shitbag. And we should give Pogba an ultimatum to sack this cnut or feck off. Fergie was right all along. I don't want that pizza-baking obese anywhere near my club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Poor guy will probably get burnt out again. As long as Jose and him are in the same league He'll never be able to live in peace.
They're both like arch-enemies and Jose can be a prick, He likes these type of things and now has Raiola on his side. Wrong move Pep.
Don't think this idiot scares anyone. Right now Pep is the one sitting comfortably almost about to win the league. Let's change that next season but let's also stop giving cnutish angents like Raiola such an influence at our club.

viscaelbarca

Supports
Barcelona
For those saying he did this intentionally to unsettle Man Utd before the derby, what will he gain by this when the league is already won?

BananaIceman

As if we'd sell him to one of our rivals.
That would be the least of our worries if what Pep said is true (and I think it is). Just goes on to show that we need to stay away from such agents and reassess Pogba's dedication to the cause (if he voiced a desire to leave to his agent).

prateik

I thought Zlatan hated Pep.. and that meant Riola hated Pep.

And offering Mikhi to clubs in Jan is hardly shocking.

The Pogba one is harder to believe.. but if it was around the time we were signing Sanchez on big wages, it might have been an attempt to strengthen the negotiating position for a renewal. Nothing happened and Pogba has been dogshit since.. Probably a coincidence.. or not.

Denis79

For those saying he did this intentionally to unsettle Man Utd before the derby, what will he gain by this when the league is already won?
The media will stop talking about how Klopp destroyed him just a few days back. Now the talk is about our marquee signing offering himself to one of our biggest rivals.

NK86

The timeline matches the period when Pogba was being dropped for McTominay. Raiola does all kind of bullshit to ensure he gets the upperhand, I don't think he genuinely expects us to sell Pogba to City.
But Pogba giving the nod to actually approach City is what stings. I can understand not being happy with your coach and looking for different options, but to actually consider moving to City is deplorable and I am being mild.

I have always backed the players when it comes to Jose, but if this is true then Pogba can do one. He truly is a mercenary and we should have seen those signs when he screwed over Le Havre for us and then us for Juve.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Don't think this idiot scares anyone. Right now Pep is the one sitting comfortably almost about to win the league. Let's change that next season but let's also stop giving cnutish angents like Raiola such an influence at our club.
Yup, He has too much power as an agent in my opinion but I'm sure Ed knows about it and hopefully can 'play' along with him. Good thing is Ibra and Mkhi already left so Raiola has less power. And even if He doesn't scare anyone, surely you would rather avoid his shite? By responding like that, Pep opened up more opportunities for Raiola to talk shite about him in public.

And knowing Pep, it could affect him.

ravi2

I doubt Pogba would go to City. Raiola probably offered him to clubs which can afford his wages. Although this sorta confirms that he wanted out when he was dropped.
I do believe Pogba wanted out and maybe he still does.

Mr PG

Slow and needs too much time on the ball. Too cumbersome. And that's not saying Paul is essentialy sluggish, he just isn't quick and nimble enough for Pep's style.
It’s more likely Pogba is too expensive for Guardiola who felt Gundogan could do the same job for less. City were after all intrested in Pog before it became clear what he would cost. The guy is a phenomenal player when used correctly.

Mr PG

I do believe Pogba wanted out and maybe he still does.
To be fair not too many top players will tolerate jm methods. Look at what happened at Real Madrid. Parking the bus is nonsensical and would never be accepted there and neither should here.

Goochy

Supports
Liverpool
The way I see it, he pretty much threw Raiola at you by exposing his doublecross. I don't think he or anyone at City thinks you'd sell Pogba to City or any other rival. What Raiola does here is going behind your back, trying to whore your player to nearest rival, stir some shit up to get more pay out of this. Very unethical. A very deserved response by Guardiola.

If I were Ed Woodward or Jose or whoever's in charge of these affairs, I would've told Pogba to either deny any knowledge of Raiola's actions and fire the agent, or face consequences.
This is the pick of the posts in this thread in my opinion.

Hammondo

What do you mean what power? They obviously have a big hand in major transfers these days and given these latest allegations, it's as though we have agents going behind the backs of clubs. For me this is wrong.
That's not power though, that's just influence.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Was peps presser before mourinhos? Might explain why Mourinho was so moody in his.
The quotes came later. No way jose knew what pep had said.
The reaction will come from jsoe depending on what we do today.

Treble

If Guardiola said these things in order to weaken United today, he probably made a mistake. Raiola's personal attack on him was brutal and ugly, but Guardiola's response may backfire big time. If they fail to win today, they won't believe that they will be able to beat Liverpool. And then they visit Spurs. The first half of April could be the worst part of the season for them.