Pep Guardiola: "Raiola offered me Mkhitaryan and Pogba two months ago.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm struggling to work out what's going though, to be honest. Is this not just a mind game before the match?

FujiVice

Pep's got as much class as he has shampoo on his ASDA receipt. Jose's not much better, to be fair, but Guardiola gets very little criticism him being an all-round dick to every he comes in contact with.

Bobski

I'm just getting fed up with popstar managers, agents and galaticos type players being the focus and story rather than the game of football itself. Totaly bored with it all.
This to infinity.

The club knew what Raiola was like first time around, signed with him and then started agitating. A different agent and perhaps Pogba is more patient and has to wait an extra 6 months before his breakthrough.

Revaulx

It's Pogba's agent hawking him around, not the club. Mourinho has to take the blame for not getting the best out of the player and him seemingly being unsettled but there's no indication that the club want to sell or have offered him around. The thing that the club can be blamed for is basically outsourcing our transfer policy to big name agents (Mendes in 2014 and now Raiola) when the reality is that they are only there to serve themselves and their clients.
This. And why we need more streetwise experience to help Woodward. Call it a Director of Football if you want.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Something that might help some questions. If football is close to rugby then players aren't directly offered to specific clubs, agents just let it know that a player is open to talk and then clubs get in touch.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ugh. This stuff is so tedious.

When I read the quotes I though there may be something in all of this, but then you see his body language and it's clear Pep's just stirring.

He knows his team are out of the CL and that dropped points against us would potentially turn the media on City a little bit. He's basically ensured that the press's focus will be on us, unless City win the title/pull of a major comeback against Liverpool.

RedDevil5

Not Mourinho's biggest fan but this is pure speculation.
Pogba just said he has no problem with Jose and isn't looking to leave.
What is Pogba going to say in public? I hate his guts and can't wait to leave?

Bratt

Look, this is just a case of getting Pogba a better contract at United. How many players haven’t we been offered by agents, only for them to renew at their current club, with a massive wage hike?
Ramos, Ronaldo, Neymar etc.
Now City is the club to go to, because of their unlimited funds, and of course their league position, and yeah, Pogba is aware of this, as all others are.
Of course he wants his agent touting him around if that doubles his wage.

The only difference here is that class managers break these kind of stories after said manager and/or player has retired.

Infra-red

I'm struggling to work out what's going though, to be honest. Is this not just a mind game before the match?
Guardiola is trying to unsettle our most-talented outfield player prior to a massive game by revealing something that is, most likely, true. That's what's happening.

Classical Mechanic

Jeez.. Raiola is a massive cnut, but that was a serious low blow by Pep.. not needed at all. I don't think even Jose would stoop that low to actually disclose such info.
Pep shows his true colours the moment the slightest thing goes wrong for him. He's a cnut. At least Mourinho makes no bones about his cnutishness.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Daley Blind's agent recently released a book, the guy is close to retiring and decided to have one of country's top journalists follow him around for a year and gave him full authorization to publish anything he wanted.

The agent's called Rob Jansen and he was king of the '90's, doing all the big transfers after Bosman with Bergkamp, Overmars and the likes, and with us Edwin and of course Henke Larsson and Daley Blind now.

http://www.teamwass.eu/en/teamwass

Obviously Mino Raiola used to work for him during that time, but they're on bad terms now after he 'stole' Mark van Bommel (and also Bert van Marwijk) at the end of his time at Bayern. But I really wished the book would be translated into English, it gives great insight into how it really works behind the scenes with agents in the world of football. Based on the reactions in this thread people are actually on the naive side of things, shite like this is quite literally the top of the iceberg.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Football agents, eh. Didn't Fergie make some comments about not wanting to deal with some of them when discussing us not buying Hazard?

As for Pogba, can't help but to start to dislike the guy. He's the antithesis of the sort of men who used to play for United. Those days are long gone now.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
It wouldn’t surprise me if Mourinho has fallen out with Pogba and now wants to offload him. It’s Mourinhos fault for playing negative football week after week making Pogba, Sanchez and whoever else look like dogshit game after game
Please shut the feck up. Making conclusions after one sided story. We have some stupid people in caf no doubt about that.

Classical Mechanic

Football agents, eh. Didn't Fergie make some comments about not wanting to deal with some of them when discussing us not buying Hazard?

As for Pogba, can't help but to start to dislike the guy. He's the antithesis of the sort of men who used to play for United. Those days are long gone now.
Fergie wouldn't deal with Raiola after Pogba IIRC.

Lentwood

I don't understand what people don't understand about this

Raiola is a football agent. Raiola gets paid when his players get paid. How do people think Raiola became a multi-millionaire;

a) Sitting back and advising his players to sign whatever his boyhood club put on the table out of loyalty to the club, the fans and the manager
b) Attempt to stir up trouble, create a market for his players and engineer bigger contracts or and/or lucrative transfers

Hence why Ferguson hated the bellend, and all other agents!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Fergie wouldn't deal with Raiola after Pogba IIRC.
Yeah.

I might knock him for his performances nowadays, but Valencia's the real deal. Dispensed with the services of his agent after signing for United. Now if only he can rediscover how to cross a ball.

Bobski

I don't understand what people don't understand about this

Raiola is a football agent. Raiola gets paid when his players get paid. How do people think Raiola became a multi-millionaire;

a) Sitting back and advising his players to sign whatever his boyhood club put on the table out of loyalty to the club, the fans and the manager
b) Attempt to stir up trouble, create a market for his players and engineer bigger contracts or and/or lucrative transfers

Hence why Ferguson hated the bellend, and all other agents!
No chance Fergie would have brought Pogba back, as much for not allowing a character like Raiola so much leverage at the club as football matters. Not that Fergie was spotless here, his relationship with Mendes did not always help the club(Bebe) but at least there seemed to be some trust there.

Lukaku is a Raiola client isn't he? Zlatan was as well, wonder if that new contract for him, even when injured, was about keeping Raiola happy as much as Zlat.

JPRouve

Scout
Except that United have clearly stated they did not intend to sell Pogba?
Have you ever seen a club clearly state that they intend to sell a marketable player? If we are honest, we can't trust anyone.

Wrd82

Ducker is a fair journo but it's the only rational explanation.
Pep is trying to get back at Raiola by embarrassing him. Man Utd and Pogba are just casualties of that.
Guardiola is trying to unsettle our most-talented outfield player prior to a massive game by revealing something that is, most likely, true. That's what's happening.
I don’t think pogba is our most talented player. If he is then we’re screwed

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
And as if by magic nobody is now discussing the fact that Klopp tactically outclassed him the other night.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Have you ever seen a club clearly state that they intend to sell a marketable player? If we are honest, we can't trust anyone.
Do you truly believe that United would ever entertain the idea of selling a player who is adored by fans to Manchester City or Liverpool?

It just wouldn't happen, even if Raiola threw a couch out of the window.

Castia

Sanchez.

Pogba isn't even in our top 5 best performers.

And Sanchez is? one decent game in about 13 appearances.

On his day Pogba is class and easily one of our best players.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
After reading a few pages of this thread, the burning question for me is who do I dislike most? Is it a) Raiola b) Pogba c) Pep or d) my fellow Caf members. A toss up. Perhaps a poll is required. Mods?

JPRouve

Scout
Do you truly believe that United would ever entertain the idea of selling a player who is adored by fans to Manchester City or Liverpool?

It just wouldn't happen, even if Raiola threw a couch out of the window.
I don't really have to believe anything, in fact I don't believe that Pogba has been specifically offered to City or Liverpool. I wouldn't be surprised if Pep has just been told that Pogba and Raiola were looking at options outside of United which he then used to stir some shit. Now, I have no evidence of that, I'm just assuming. https://www.redcafe.net/javascript:

True, but there's no reason to just assume Mourinho wanted to offload Pogba. You go with the evidence you have over evidence that doesn't even exist.
But we have no evidence at all, so it's probably better to either assume that every options are possible or simply wait and see.

Denis79

If true this won't help Pogba's popularity with the fans one bit. There's no way an agent does something like this without the players knowledge. Either is total bullshit or Pogba can pack up and leave now for all I care.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And Sanchez is? one decent game in about 13 appearances.

On his day Pogba is class and easily one of our best players.
Pogba hasn't had his day for too long. And even on their best days Sanchez is more talented.

FWIW Sanchez isn't a top 5 performer either. Both have been performing below the consistency levels of Matic, Young, Lukaku, Lingard and Mata at the very least.

Morpheus 7

Have to say it's a masterstroke by Pep, perfect timing. It unsettles the fans and disrupts focus on other issues like: the shit show from City at Anfield, if he is resting players for the derby, takes pressure off his players to win and brings negativity.

If Pogba doesn't play the press will be over it. Mino could have said something, it wouldn't shock me. Think it's his word against Mino now. Pogba should be fired up to put in a big performance now hopefully.