Pep Guardiola: "Raiola offered me Mkhitaryan and Pogba two months ago.

el3mel

Nobody likes this idea. However, I doubt that Pep lied. If he did, he will get called out.
I didn't say he did lied but what he said makes Raiola being the guilty one, not that there's a war between Jose and Paul.

Giggsy92

Probably the type of thing that goes on all the time. The sooner we're rid of Raiola the better though.

Denis79

The only one having something to lose here is Pogba if anything of this is true. Baldy is classless in doing this but it will cause drama for us so he wins, Raiola doing what he's supposed to do, look around for the best deals for his players but If Pogba is in on this he's making himself the worst cnut of the three of them. Think Tevez is hated? Just wait, if this is true Pogba will be the nr1 on that list.

Water Melon

Theonas

Scout
I don't disagree. My initial point was in response to another poster saying it's a blessing in disguise for us (United), with what Pep just said.

Pep may do nothing wrong here firing back at Raiola for his own sake. However, there is huge double standard in how people especially on CAF perceive things. You have people expect United manager to be saint but running miles to defend human reaction from managers of other clubs.
I think the reason Mourinho gets more flak is because his attacks tend to be personal. All managers can be equally petty especially when they perceive an attack. I don't think anyone is better than the rest in that regard, except maybe Ancelotti. With Mourinho however, they can be very crass like insulting a fellow's manager wife or weight, or like when he accuses respected legends of being jealous of his players' earnings. I personally thought Mourinho was witty and fun and totally within his rights when he responded to Sir Alex's jab about Chelsea's money 10 years ago by "he is right, money can't be everything, that's why my Porto beat his team". But when he says that it's not Pogba's fault that he is earning more than Scholes or when he tells Benitez's wife to focus on his diet, the wit becomes bitter low crassness.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No. Guardiola didn't intend to slander our club. He likes to maintain respect with Jose just to avoid the latter's sharp tongue nowadays.

His attack was intended for Raiola alone and we were dragged into it inadvertently.
Disagree tbh, he is not s stupid man and I am sure he knew what reaction the comments would make.

clarkydaz

This is the same as the Rooney situation isn't it? Flirting with City for more money, without it being a serious realisation
Many United fans never forgave him for that, and he was a much better player

Cassidy

I think the reason Mourinho gets more flak is because his attacks tend to be personal. All managers can be equally petty especially when they perceive an attack. I don't think anyone is better than the rest in that regard, except maybe Ancelotti. With Mourinho however, they can be very crass like insulting a fellow's manager wife or weight, or like when he accuses respected legends of being jealous of his players' earnings. I personally thought Mourinho was witty and fun and totally within his rights when he responded to Sir Alex's jab about Chelsea's money 10 years ago by "he is right, money can't be everything, that's why my Porto beat his team". But when he says that it's not Pogba's fault that he is earning more than Scholes or when he tells Benitez's wife to focus on his diet, the wit becomes bitter low crassness.
Pretty much.

ti vu

Actually he didn't confirm it, but he didn't deny offering City the players:

Raiola told BBC Sport he did not speak to Guardiola but did not deny telling City of the players' availability.

More than likely this was trying to gain leverage in possible future contract talks
Thanks.

There are many unclear things in this. First of all, it's not clear whether Raiola confirmed here he offered Pogba to City, or City approached him in hope of getting Pogba. Checking player availability with agent is another entirely different thing than the player works with his agent to force a move. And there is no indication of Raiola confirming Pogba being available for transfer. So it's not matched the narrative Pep put out.

Last edited:

Kostov

What Pogba should have done is call that fat feck of an agent of his and say what he has to him, not acting like an adolescent teen who just broke with his girl and tries to send messages through Instagram.

Denis79

Disagree tbh, he is not s stupid man and I am sure he knew what reaction the comments would make.
Yup. He could have just said that Raiola offered him players just two months ago and not mention names. It was as intentional as it gets.

Rajma

What Pogba should have done is call that fat feck of an agent of his and say what he has to him, not acting like an adolescent teen who just broke with his girl and tries to send messages through Instagram.
Exactly.

Kostov

Why is that so offending, the wife first mouthed off how her husband cleaned up Jose's mess? Ignoring the fact that he left Rafa a team of European champions.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
We're a couple of days away from Pep getting knocked out of the CL, again, despite spending more money than ever. And yet everyone is up in arms, again, about Pogba and Raiola and Mourinho. That wasn't a coincidence.

Cassidy

Look at how the conversation was initiated,it also looks like it was preplanned by Pep. He specifically mentions agents. Furthermore, Raiola's comments were more than a week ago.
Pep has had three press conferences between those comments and today.
Pep and Raiola come out of this very badly imo.
Exactly, he knew what he was doing IMO

Cassidy

Thanks.

There are many unclear things in this. First of all, it's not clear whether Raiola confirmed here he offered Pogba to City, or City approached him in hope of getting Pogba. Checking player availability with agent is another entirely different thing than the player works with his agent to force a move. And there is no indication of Raiola confirming Pogba being available for transfer. So it's not matched the narrative Pep put out.
Yes but he also didn't deny it.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Pep is not supposed to do us any favours. Neither does Jose does any favour to any rival club. Being a Utd fan, I believe that Pep told the truth, and it is good for me to know it rather than to assume that Mou can't get the best out of his most expensive buy. I do hope though that Paul plays tomorrow and plays really well.
Late with the answer, so will be short. I don't expect any favours from Pep, don't expect absolutely anything positive from him. But, that still doesn't make this move any less cnutish in my eyes, that's all. Managers usually don't talk about other players under contract for a reason.
We can both agree on the last sentence.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Yea proves Raiola right.. doesn't it? He's the saint who looks out for United's interest. How do you people come up with these warped 'pep can do no wrong' explanations?
I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic. I hope you were too, because it's hard to tell which is parody and which is not nowadays.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Completely mind boggling that anyone can support Baldy on this one. And they seem to be doing it because they dislike Raiola.

One of the most cnutish things a person can do, is bring people into their own beef that are not involved. He could have easily said the same thing without name dropping anyone, that is what a 'gentleman' would do (that's what he likes portraying himself as).

One of the biggest cnuts in football without a doubt.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
Thanks.

If City would have approached Raiola for any of his players, Pep would never have openly said that Raiola offered his players to him. Moreover, Raiola would have responded in a ferocious manner to this allegation.
I think you are chosing to ignore the blunt truth. Raiola himself has said that he offered his players to City but he just did not confirm whether it was Pogba or not.
However, if anything that Pep said was a lie then Raiola would have explicitly specified it that but instead he offered an unclear response as he is no position to deny the facts that Pep pointed out.

Look at the Raiola's tone on this matter when he was bashing Pep as coward and what not just a week ago. If this was a lie, Raiola would have mortified Pep badly.

Denis79

Late with the answer, so will be short. I don't expect any favours from Pep, don't expect absolutely anything positive from him. But, that still doesn't make this move any less cnutish in my eyes, that's all.
If it's all lies it's as low as it comes, potentially very damaging to a young mans career. Especially if Pogba has no intention to leave and loves the club. If it's a lie it's not very far from slander when you know the repercussion a statement like that can have.

Theonas

Scout
Why is that so offending, the wife first mouthed off how her husband cleaned up Jose's mess? Ignoring the fact that he left Rafa a team of European champions.
I don't know if there is a cultural difference but to me questioning a fellow's professional weight and diet is crass. I did not say offensive. Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt in that one, how about questioning Cristiano Ronaldo's education and referring to his poor upbringing? That was around the same period Ronaldo lost his father. You don't think that crosses a line?

Water Melon

Late with the answer, so will be short. I don't expect any favours from Pep, don't expect absolutely anything positive from him. But, that still doesn't make this move any less cnutish in my eyes, that's all. Managers usually don't talk about other players under contract for a reason.
Amen.

Brophs

The One and Only
I know people will spend the next two pages debating whether PDB knows anything, but anyway....

ti vu

Yes but he also didn't deny it.
As I pointed out, there is difference between confirming he (Raiola) approached City vs City approached him.

There are plenty of space for assumption for this two instances, just as City handshake with Alexis. What if there was no handshake but City approached Alexis' agent.

Edit:

One prime example is Fernando Torres. SAF confirmed we tried to approach him when he was at Atletico. However, every attempt met with his agent saying he was not available. Then L'pool somehow came at the right time and took him with ease.

The stories at the time was United is working on agreeing a deal with Torres when if SAF word to be believed 100%, the agent never got into negotiation state but confirming availability status

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pep is a d**k, however I hope this is a lesson to Woodward. Stop going for so called 'stars' and concentrate on building a proper team. We should also cancel Raiola - no more clients from him and if they wish, his clients can go with him.

Sick of all this drama with our club. Ever since SAF left, we haven't been able to just concentrate on the club and football, instead of all the drama that Woodward seems to thrive on in his pursuit of 'commercial' players.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
Completely mind boggling that anyone can support Baldy on this one. And they seem to be doing it because they dislike Raiola.

One of the most cnutish things a person can do, is bring people into their own beef that are not involved. He could have easily said the same thing without name dropping anyone, that is what a 'gentleman' would do (that's what he likes portraying himself as).

One of the biggest cnuts in football without a doubt.
Sir, if Raiola would have said the same about Jose, Jose would have responded far more ferociously and bitterly as Raiola made a personal attack by calling Pep a dog and a coward.
People who think Pep is wrong to lay down his sentiments are just looking at this with biased eyes.

Noc-Z

ffs
Pogba mentions to his agent things are not going as he'd hoped at United, doesn't like the tactics Jose employs etc. Raiola puts some feelers out, let's a few clubs know that Pogba isn't totally settled or happy at United.

Guardiola sticks that in his back pocket,a card to play at the right time.

Nobody looks good here. That's modern day football for you.

Cassidy

Pogba mentions to his agent things are not going as he'd hoped at United, doesn't like the tactics Jose employs etc. Raiola puts some feelers out, let's a few clubs know that Pogba isn't totally settled or happy at United.

Its a cnutish move by Pep, but a brilliant one

AlwaysRed66

Bet Mourinho is furious he didn't have a similar ace to play, & secretly admiring Guardiola for playing it.