Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Get him on a pay as you play contract. I think we should have done that with Rafael, this guy is no different. He's won trophies with us. He's played over 100 times for us. He's 24 years of age. Our squad is really small. If he can get over his injuries, he is a good squad member. What would be the point in giving him away for cheap? We were mugs regarding Hernandez and Rafael. These clubs don't do us any favors. We don't have the squad currently for him to be a problem and he's at an age where he can overcome these things. Smalling went through something very similar but touch wood, got over it. Jones is sometimes his own worst enemy but once he calms down, hopefully he will go on a run. I imagine many would have sold Robson for a fiver because he got lots of knocks too.

Not comparing them as players but Jones has had more then a few good games under his belt. Let's not be rash.
Well you just answered your own question really mate. He has recently just signed a new 4 year contract where he gets paid whether he plays or not, so why would he then sign a new contract that would see him only get paid the 10-15 weeks a year when he is actually fit?

As it stands with him being constantly injured we are going into seasons counting him as a CB option yet he is rarely fit, and every year we are having to play midfielders back there to compensate.

And you know he's on a decent contract and getting paid millions to sit on his arse most of the season.

Devil may care

Look how long it took us to broom Anderson, I don't see Calamity Jones going anywhere anytime soon.

izec

I can see us getting a decent fee for him. Young, English and represents the characteristics of a typical english player/defender. Would be surprised if we dont get 10-15m for him. A club like Everton, West Ham, Stoke or Leicester would stump that up easily.

stevoc

Arsenal will take him for £6m if Wenger is still there.

Dobbs

Always been a fan of Jones. I understand some of the criticism but I like the way he plays. However for the U21's tonight he's looked miles off. I hope it's just rust and these injuries haven't left some permanent mark on him.

Devil may care

Palmer did him like a Kipper more than once but RoShaun Williams mopped up for him, looked really rusty and went straight down the tunnel with the physios when he came off.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rather we put time and energy into the likes of TFM and CBJ.

iKeano

Was outclassed by few young Chelsea forwards tonight. Looked badly off match pace and his distribution was well below average.
I could see him being an injury or two away from slipping into lower league obscurity if he can't get a decent season together without the physios table.
Not good enough for Utd, has had his time and not shown enough progress for me. Seems to bring Smalling down 10-15% when he's playing beside him too.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Palmer did him like a Kipper more than once but RoShaun Williams mopped up for him, looked really rusty and went straight down the tunnel with the physios when he came off.
I think he should train to become a physio.
Without any training in physiotherapy, I think many would class him as an expert in identifying and treating injuries. :lol:

m1y2

we have so many good centerbacks coming through now that I wouldn't be afraid to sell him but if he gets on track and stays fit he still can be a great player, would rather ditch Rojo first and McNair who is just not good enough. Regan Poole is the new Jones for me even though it's still long way to go

Spock

I just caught a glimpse of the footage of his recent outing. Effin hell stuff.

LVG needs to keep him away from the first team for the rest of the season. Let him train with the younger players to regain some kind of form going into the summer, where he can continue to work on his fitness and get a fresh start with the first team in July.

I'd still have Jones in the rotation at CB but no way should Jose crown him Smalling's partner. Make the proper buy at CB, tap TFM as first option off the bench and give Phil a chance to work his way up the ladder.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Would be surprised if he's here in September.
As long as he has time left on his contract, he's not going to want to leave. He's only been back a month, let's give him time to build up his fitness over the summer, get a good preseason it and see where he's at.

stevoc

As long as he has time left on his contract, he's not going to want to leave. He's only been back a month, let's give him time to build up his fitness over the summer, get a good preseason it and see where he's at.
Not sure about that plan, sounds like something he would get injured doing.

Loublaze

ATLien
If its true that Mourinho wants Stones then he's in trouble. It will be hard to get rid of him though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The decision to stay shouldn't be his. We need to be more ruthless. That's why we've ended up with so much deadwood over the years.

iKeano

Even when he's fit, he's terrible. Showed a few matches of some promise when he first signed and drastically went downhill thereafter.
Utd isn't a club for players to cut their teeth. He's 24, being burned by 20 year olds.
Not good enough, sick note, get rid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
With the quality of the kids we have coming through, he doesn't stand a chance here.

He's the caricature English 'talent'. Developed early physically, plays with heart, soul, blood and thunder and limited technical ability. Considered 'potential' because he can hold his own as a young player and we ignore the deficiencies in his game, assuming he will iron them out. Naturally he gets older but never actually kicks on.

I'd bite someones hand off if they offered £10m to £15m this summer and force them to sign a disclaimer saying that they are sober and in control of their own actions.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
"Duncan Edwards". Fergie was sometimes guilty of going overboard with praise.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Has this joker really made 13 appearances this season? I genuinely can't remember a single one of those or what position he was playing. My last memory of him was this:

Kag

If its true that Mourinho wants Stones then he's in trouble. It will be hard to get rid of him though.
Nah. I'm by no means a huge fan of Jones; his positioning is erratic and he's prone to mistakes. But he's a good defender on the whole. If we make him available then a lot of Premier League clubs will take an interest.

Dante

Average bang
Has this joker really made 13 appearances this season? I genuinely can't remember a single one of those or what position he was playing. My last memory of him was this:

He slipped. Players slip. It happens.

But Jones made the tackle and stopped a certain goal. Great defending. I can't think of many players in the league who could have stopped a Giroud goal in that circumstance.

Dobbs

I still like him though physically he's looked way off since his last injury.

I'd give him one more season.

stevoc

To be fair Vidic did something similar to put it out for a throw in and everyone thought it was great. That was a bit of good improvisation by Jones.

Maybe he should use his head to make every tackle lol

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's far more commited to Manchester United than Rojo but he's 24 and still can't fulfill that potential spotted by Fergie in a slightest part. His football brain also could use some calibration and without at least few regular seasons it will only get difficult for him to even sustain Premier League level.

Laphroaig

He's far more commited to Manchester United than Rojo but he's 24 and still can't fulfill that potential spotted by Fergie in a slightest part. His football brain also could use some calibration and without at least few regular seasons it will only get difficult for him to even sustain Premier League level.
How do you know that? Isn't Rojo a big United fan?

Dante

Average bang
To be fair Vidic did something similar to put it out for a throw in and everyone thought it was great. That was a bit of good improvisation by Jones.

Maybe he should use his head to make every tackle lol
It's the kind of never-say-die defending that Mourinho will love. If he can regain his sharpness, Jones will be one of the first names on the teamsheet again.

Let's not forget that Fergie played him whenever he was fit, whether that be in midfield, central defence or right-back. He's an intelligent player and a physical beast. Take away the memes and people on here would have a different opinion of him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
How do you know that? Isn't Rojo a big United fan?
Watching them both playing works pretty well to draw a conclusion that Jones gives more on the pitch than Rojo who's technically still is a better footballer but unfortunately doesn't use that fully to his advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.