Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

I am sorry but I suspect you talk in cliche. Everton didn't cross the ball that much. They try to stretch play that side seeing Rashford was allowed to stay up front most of the time; to draw Young out and attack the space where Jones should be covering. This should be no problem for Jones in his good day vs Rooney. Instead Jones today lost too many one vs one and at times switched off and let Rooney run off him (off ball)
You can suspect all you like, rewatch the game and see how many times Pickford or their defenders would leg it down that side and Young would frantically scramble back when Davies already got onto the ball.

Jones made one glaring mistake when his headed clearance went into the path of one Everton player and Rooney got a clear chance off it, and he lost a shoulder duel that the ball was ended up cleared by Matic iirc. He was the far more active of our two CBs and it's inevitable that when you see that much actions there would be some bad moves.

ti vu

You are blowing this so out of proportion. Young did lots of space in behind though which of course is going to be burdersome on both him and Matic because then they have to look after multiple spaces at once which opens up our play. You are just making up a bunch of lies to cover up Young's lack of positional sense.
I saw what you did in another thread with @Shuriken , so I passed discussing with you in regarding in analysis a game/ player.
You can suspect all you like, rewatch the game and see how many times Pickford or their defenders would leg it down that side and Young would frantically scramble back when Davies already got onto the ball.

Jones made one glaring mistake when his headed clearance went into the path of one Everton player and Rooney got a clear chance off it, and he lost a shoulder duel that the ball was ended up cleared by Matic iirc. He was the far more active of our two CBs and it's inevitable that when you see that much actions there would be some bad moves.
Rewatch the game so you can see the point where Rashford then Lingard was not asked to track back as much and Young solely is to track the wing back and it's the central defensive players (midfielders & defenders) to plug the pocket of space. Losing your initial mark is your own fault, not other player's positional issue.

You clearly failed to see Jones' mistake in losing track off Rooney for the other chance I mentioned. It's not just losing duel, misskill is the only issue a defender can commit. Switching off and losing his mark is another of the set and Jones is subject to few of these this game

Obiorahking_

I saw what you did in another thread with @Shuriken , so I passed discussing with you in regarding in analysis a game/ player.
What the feck is that supposed to mean? Was it my fault that he threatened me because he made an unconvincing argument? Kind of weak don't you think?

InfiniteBoredom

Rewatch the game so you can see the point where Rashford then Lingard was not asked to track back as much and Young solely is to track the wing back and it's the central defensive players (midfielders & defenders) to plug the pocket of space. Losing your initial mark is your own fault, not other player's positional issue.

You clearly failed to see Jones' mistake in losing track off Rooney for the other chance I mentioned. It's not just losing duel, misskill is the only issue a defender can commit. Switching off and losing his mark is another of the set and Jones is subject to few of these this game
Then why did Young abandon marking Martina multiple times to rush back and check Davies? When the wingback already made the pass/cross, is he at fault for letting that happened over and over again?

I can accept that the way we set up probably contributed to the problem with Rashford being relieved of all defensive duties, but then you can't have it both ways and say Jones should have dealt with that easily when he was exposed more than he usually is. The most noticeable thing today is how he was wide frequently both to check Davies and to play the ball upfield. Shouldn't Bailly compensate by tracking Rooney as well? The one time he did he fluffed his clearance and Rooney got his shot off.

ti vu

What the feck is that supposed to mean? Was it my fault that he threatened me because he made an unconvincing argument? Kind of weak don't you think?
He deserved his ban for that behavior, no doubt. What I meant is you're difficult to have a good discussion with. There wee valid point he had in that discussion that were ignored and discussion turned ugly. I know I surely can't win you over in discussion and vice versa, so let agree to disagree in this discussion.

Then why did Young abandon marking Martina multiple times to rush back and check Davies? When the wingback already made the pass/cross, is he at fault for letting that happened over and over again?

I can accept that the way we set up probably contributed to the problem with Rashford being relieved of all defensive duties, but then you can't have it both ways and say Jones should have dealt with that easily when he was exposed more than he usually is. The most noticeable thing today is how he was wide frequently both to check Davies and to play the ball upfield. Shouldn't Bailly compensate by tracking Rooney as well? The one time he did he fluffed his clearance and Rooney got his shot off.
That's another point is Jones failed to deal with his mark and Young had to come narrow, only to have to dragged width again. On his day, you would expect Jones deals with his mark quickly and cleanly that our left back ain't being made to dance coming narrow and out wide in one phase of play.

Jones were asked to work more, and being exposed more as you said, that's no problem. What I have been saying is Jones had quite few his individual mistakes in man marking (I am not talking about misskill). I am not scapegoating Jones and absolving Bailly's underwhelming performance, Matic's taking too long on ball, Micky cheaply lost possession, Rashford's gamble backfire... I am just saying Jones made hell more trouble than it should be.

Bailly was underwhelming in term of duel than his normal self. He made mistake on ball too. However, in term of positioning and being ware of danger, he met minimum requirement

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

What I meant is you're difficult to have a good discussion with. There wee valid point he had in that discussion that were ignored and discussion turned ugly.
The discussion turned ugly because he threatened me and insulted my intelligence. In the two years I've been on this forum I've gotten into countless of arguments here with plenty of other posters here and many if not all of them have ended in a positive fashion. I respect all opinions on here, but if it can't be backed up with sound logic or a multitude of evidence then thats on him and you resort to name calling and threats then thats on the poster and there is no two ways about it. If you felt that there were valid points made then speak up. Cowardice is never a good excuse for not defending your point.

ti vu

The discussion turned ugly because he threatened me and insulted my intelligence. In the two years I've been on this forum I've gotten into countless of arguments here with plenty of other posters here and many if not all of them have ended in a positive fashion. I respect all opinions on here, but if it can't be backed up with sound logic or a multitude of evidence then thats on him and you resort to name calling and threats then thats on the poster and there is no two ways about it. If you felt that there were valid points made then speak up. Cowardice is never a good excuse for not defending your point.
This is my last post with you in this thread, so let me put this straight. Lindelof is new signing and need TIME. Time will answer. You were too eager to draw conclusion in that discussion. What to discuss further when conclusion is already made? I am having discussion with other poster thus making my points, and I don't feel like having direct discussion with you. That's all to it.

As I stated, I am in no support with @Shuriken behavior in making threat. Peace.

Obiorahking_

Lindelof is new signing and need TIME. Time will answer. You were too eager to draw conclusion in that discussion. What to discuss further when conclusion is already made?
I drew no such conclusion in that statement, I was rebutting the statement made by Shurken that Lindleof's background serves as an indication for his inevitable failure at Man Utd. If anything, I was arguing for Lindleof and we should concentrate on what he is doing now rather than what he did in the past. Nevertheless, if you want to hide behind an absurdly false statement because you are scared then that is fine by me. It is incredibly weak of you in my opinion, but nobody is perfect in this life.

Enjoy your day.

SirAF

Ageist
Huge fan of his and agree that he was good on the ball today, but....

He was erratic again in terms of positional composure, a few backwards decisions that went unpunished but were still alarming. Easily beaten in the air, muscled off it too easily.

He's got an impulsive voice in his head that implores him to do something ridiculous, and I thought he'd suppressed that, but it's manifested itself again in recent weeks; if he can't neutralise it, someone reliable like Smalling or Rojo should replace him.
:eek:

Rossa

I thought he covered well for Young throughout the game, but I was puzzled by him being outmuscled by a skinny Davies and an over the hill Rooney a few times. Jones looks strong, but I suspect his balance might not be the very best? Overall a decent game from him.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
But stops he made today would have lead to a goal should he not have done it. I see your point you are making with the 1 mistake he made, but if we were to judge defenders solely based off of the mistakes they made per game, there would be no good defenders left in the world. You have to take into account both the good and bad and today the good Jones did definitely outweighed the bad. Thus, in my opinion, I can come to the conclusion that he had a more than solid game.
Well said sir! Too many posters on the caf focus on players' mistakes and not on the positives each player makes. And rarely are opposing players given credit for being talented. There aren't many CB's out there much better than our four. And none that don't many any errors!

Sylar

I like Jones as our CB. Its weird how hes only 25 as well :lol:

Lj82

hmm.. I actually thought he had a good game and bailed Bailey out a couple of times.

Southampton 0:1 Man Utd

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Holding the defense together, once again. They're scoring in those 15 minutes if he's not on the pitch, I'm certain of it.

NinjaFletch

For all the hype Bailly gets Jones is the best defender at the club and I'm not even sure it's particularly close.

podurban2

Beat sleeper pick in my Fantasy team. Will get three bonus points today :D

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Just shows all the muppets and doubters that we're during preseason are as worth a while listening to as the local garbage driver.

mu4c_20le

Immense today. Put his body on the line. Showing signs of his best form under SAF.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Outstanding performance.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
i mean, imagine if we'd have sold him to a club like Everton because people cried about his injury list.
He's a top notch defender when fit, and hell - if Ledley could play without training and a record of injuries, then let Jones do the same.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Best player for us. And treated us to another wobbly leg fall.

SeaCarrot

His workrate and positioning today was absolute world class, Vidic-esq. Really hope he can stay fit because he is absolute class on his day.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love the guy. Was outstanding today. Won more or less everything. Not sure Bailly compliments his style, though. Both aggressive front foot defenders.

There was a time in the first half when they both went to press Long, and left a massive space in behind. If one goes then one needs to drop.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

One of his best performances for the club.

3/3 Tackles, 5/5 Aerials, 11 Clearances/ 1 Interception, 91% Passing (29/32).

Most importantly, he always there to cover for Young/Rashford during the period when the latter two were constantly being beaten by Tadic and Cedric.

izec

Jose loves him, rightfully so. Always better than Smalling and all the years of injury were bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.