g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Best English defender than say Michael Keane who has been hyped up so much, the difference between the two is astounding

Devil may care

Strong performance today, got worried a couple of times that he'd gotten injured, good to see him and Bailly back on form after the stoke game.

el3mel

Recovered quickly from his mistake in the Stoke game and put on excellent performance again.

Paul_Scholes18

Best player for us today I thought. Him and Bailly played really well and needed too with Valencia really struggling today and Southampton putting us under pressure. Stay fit Jones!

Pace Abuser

He's that lad at school running to the football field with a chip butty in his mouth dying to defend. When everyone else is clambering for a strikers position, he's extolling his defensive abilities and using endearing (in a clownish sort of way) Trumpisms like "i'm not a brick in the wall. I AM the wall."

His sheer passion for defending really does extract the extra sinew of quality required to be a top defender. Great game today.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Relieved he looked back on it today; bit wobbly against Stoke and a few times that went under the radar last weekend, but today reaffirmed that his mature, masterful performances of the start of the season are now default for him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's almost like people have remembered that he wasn't ever in any way "crap", but was in fact a pretty good defender when fit.
Can he stay fit, as he's playing pretty darn well.

Tapori

He's that lad at school running to the football field with a chip butty in his mouth dying to defend. When everyone else is clambering for a strikers position, he's extolling his defensive abilities and using endearing (in a clownish sort of way) Trumpisms like "i'm not a brick in the wall. I AM the wall."

His sheer passion for defending really does extract the extra sinew of quality required to be a top defender. Great game today.
:lol::lol::lol:
This.
Was the same myself, potato scallops and all, along with me mates. Would always want a defender in th back 4 who loves to defend (As Rio recently said he was) rather than and over some silky-pants any day.

Paul_Scholes18

So we like him again then?
Always liked him. Problem is his bloody injuries. It has been very annoying. Having players injured a lot can be very frustrating for supporters and I guess some have been extra critical of him due to that.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He did have a great game today. Another injury must be right around the corner though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Always liked him. Problem is his bloody injuries. It has been very annoying. Having players injured a lot can be very frustrating for supporters and I guess some have been extra critical of him due to that.
I was talking about the disgraceful reactions after the Stoke.

Dont want to quote anyone, but it shows how fairweather some people are.

December_16

He was an absolute rock at the back today. Winning headers and challenges everywhere. Brilliant form from Jonesy, long may it continue!

Robertd0803

"i'm not a brick in the wall. I AM the wall."

There should be some sort of award for that quote-its bloody fantastic :).

Thought he was brilliant today, was worried that he may have injured himself several times and winced when he clattered Smalling with his head as well.

Akshay

Staff
i mean, imagine if we'd have sold him to a club like Everton because people cried about his injury list.
He's a top notch defender when fit, and hell - if Ledley could play without training and a record of injuries, then let Jones do the same.
There's a reason why Ledley never played for a big club. Jones has been very good this season and last when fit, but he absolutely does need to maintain that fitness. Consistency at the back is vital for title challenging sides.

ti vu

He was shocking against Stoke.

But otherwise he's been flawless, which makes the Stoke aberration all the more annoying.

We should be on a perfect record.
He was quite decent against Stoke bar that key moment where it ended up costly. Bailly was the one who was all over the place that game. Everton was the game where Jones didn't really perform. Misjudge situation, terrible clearance, losing his mark...

crossy1686

career ending
Jones finally showing glimpses of the player Fergie thought he would be. Mourinho will get the best out of him as long as he stays clear of injuries. I'm hoping we can forge another classic centre back pairing with Jones and Bailey.

ti vu

Jones finally showing glimpses of the player Fergie thought he would be. Mourinho will get the best out of him as long as he stays clear of injuries. I'm hoping we can forge another classic centre back pairing with Jones and Bailey.
Jose is not the first coach after SAF who rate. Jones' potential is always there to see. There is a reason, Capello gave him a high praise such as seeing Jones resembles Baresi, LVG initially tried to establish Jones as Blind partner into his second season (just for Jones got injured and that plan failed).

Credit for Jose and his team for somehow helping Jones to be able to play more.

InfiniteBoredom

Everton was his one average/poor game this season. The Stoke game he played no worse than against Leicester or Swansea.

If he didn't miss his jump/slipped on his arse against Choupo Mouting, the ire after that game would be reserved for Bailly.
I remember him being at fault for both goals.

But perhaps my memory is failing me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So we like him again then?
You'd think at some point it would click that we actually have a talented pool of CBs, I mean all 5 (exc. Lindelof) have played serious parts in the past two years of defences that have conceded the least or second least amount of goals. Look at the muck that lines up for the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc. in the past 2 seasons and question why on earth our CBs get so much flack from our fans.

ti vu

Mourinho greatest trick isn't winning the treble, but keeping jones fit a season long
Can we have hope for a greater trick: winning treble and keeping Jones fit at the same time? :drool:

You'd think at some point it would click that we actually have a talented pool of CBs, I mean all 5 (exc. Lindelof) have played serious parts in the past two years of defences that have conceded the least or second least amount of goals. Look at the muck that lines up for the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc. in the past 2 seasons and question why on earth our CBs get so much flack from our fans.
We had high standard from having Vidic and Rio, not long ago. People just failed to realize having that standard is abnormal, let alone maintain and have successors for it. Even the best defense, CBs at the moment look pale in comparison to Vidic and Rio together at their peak

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.