Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike09

I don't think there's ever been a point in time when Jones was considered one of the best centre backs in the world.
I don't think he was ever classed as one of the best CBs in the World.
He was one of the best prospects who needed to realise his potential, but he never actually realised it, due to injury. Much like we are seeing with Shaw, right now.
Not the best but he was once considered to be the best centre back U23 according to CIES Football. But that means it's based on stats analysis.

Yakuza_devils

His injuries record is comparable to Ledley King and Vincent Kompany. All are great players but can't be relied on.

Smalling is no better. Hope 2 from Bailey, Rojo and Lindelof to develop well and cement the place as our reliable starting CB pair.

JMack1234

I love his performance so far, he's been composed and one step ahead of the game all day. I love his little one touch clearances that immediately set us up for a counter attack I just hope he manages to make it through England duty in one piece.

InfiniteBoredom

He's been the better passer than Matic so far, that's how good he is.

Covering all bases. He's undeniably our best defender at the moment.

Dante

Average bang
Rio-esque performance so far. Defending the penalty spot first and foremost, just like Ferdinand used to do.

slored1

Love him to bits. Became an integral part of our squad and is irreplaceable at the moment.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Very good again today.

If he didn't have much of his career ruined by injuries he would have been an amazing defender, probably one of the best around.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

The 3 best defences of the last 30 years (Milan in the 90s, Chelsea in the early 00s and United in the late 00s) were created by Capello, Mourinho and Ferguson. All three love(d) Jones, and played him whenever he was fit. One of them compared him to Baresi and another said he could be one of the best players to ever pull on a United shirt.

Disagree all you like, but when those three concur on an opinion you oppose, you're probably wrong.

Jones is a fecking great player whose reputation has been sullied by memes.
Great point, never thought of that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

The 3 best defences of the last 30 years (Milan in the 90s, Chelsea in the early 00s and United in the late 00s) were created by Capello, Mourinho and Ferguson. All three love(d) Jones, and played him whenever he was fit. One of them compared him to Baresi and another said he could be one of the best players to ever pull on a United shirt.

Disagree all you like, but when those three concur on an opinion you oppose, you're probably wrong.

Jones is a fecking great player whose reputation has been sullied by memes.
Actually, Ferguson had him all but as centerback. Even the comparison was to Duncan Edwards.

carlosp

Manchester United defender Phil Jones has been withdrawn from the England squad due to injury, with Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks being called up from the under-21s to replace him.

Jones had missed Monday’s morning training session with the Three Lions, and had been suffering from an ankle injury in recent weeks, although he played 90 minutes as United comfortably beat Crystal Palace at the weekend.

The 25-year-old has been in imperious form for United, forming a solid partnership at the back with Eric Bailly in the early parts of the season and starting all seven Premier League games for the Reds, being part of a side that has conceded a league goal in seven hours (stretching back to May 15).

However, United boss José Mourinho admitted that Jones had been playing through the pain barrier recently and had been managing an ankle problem.

He said:

"He’s potentially a very good player, he’s still young and in a learning age but for years and years and years he was injury prone and he has a problem now, he has a problem now, he’s complaining about an ankle problem so he’s the kind of player where we need to have him always in our hands with a lot of care from the medical department the fitness coach, my assistants in the gym, working on prevention and recovery.

If we manage to have him safe from injuries he is everything I like in a central defender."
http://readmanutd.com/2017/10/02/phil-jones-withdrawn-from-england-squad-with-injury/

Silas

That poor clearance could have cost us the game, but he was good otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.