Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Thought Smalling were better than Jones today. Jones needs to work on his clearances, which are simply too weak. For the Can shot, he was very lucky.

Our midfield certainly gave both Smalling and Jones plenty to do though.

SATA

If we can keep him fit for the league games and the knockout stages of the CL, that will be a very good season and starting point for him at this stage of his career and build from there. I can't believe he's only 25

Aside from that dodgy pass he played very well. Hope he doesn't get injured anytime soon as he might finally realise some of his potential. Showed Smalling up massively yesterday.

Kostov

Jones is our best CB, if he stays fit for the season he would be the best CB in the league. Yesterday I was watching the game with Liverpool fans, and they were lauding him, which was a surprise really. Credits to Smalling also, they were great alongside one another.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One big mistake but got away with it played well otherwise and has been superb this season bar Stoke.

AndyJ1985

Jones is our best CB, if he stays fit for the season he would be the best CB in the league. Yesterday I was watching the game with Liverpool fans, and they were lauding him, which was a surprise really. Credits to Smalling also, they were great alongside one another.
No, that'd be Bailly.

Robertd0803

Interesting that Jose said that Jones was on the bench despite not being 100% and that Jones said he was ready to play if needed. Has Joses message from last season about needing warriors sunk in?

poacher

Apparently, Phi Jones wants 150k per week for his new contract extension which I believe is ridiculous bearing in mind Paulo Dybala earns 110k, Harry Kane 120k and Dele Alli earns 50k. The problem with overpaying our players is that it makes it difficult to move them on if we decide to onsell them. Off the top of my head Lingard, Lindelof, Ash Young and Luke Shaw are also on huge wages that far exceed their meagre talent.

Seij

Apparently, Phi Jones wants 150k per week for his new contract extension which I believe is ridiculous bearing in mind Paulo Dybala earns 110k, Harry Kane 120k and Dele Alli earns 50k. The problem with overpaying our players is that it makes it difficult to move them on if we decide to onsell them. Off the top of my head Lingard, Lindelof, Ash Young and Luke Shaw are also on huge wages that far exceed their meagre talent.
150k is pushing it I agree, but I wouldn't compare his wage with the Spurs players who are extremely underpaid compared to other players with similar value.

I expect Dybala's wage to skyrocket soon, either Juventus gives in and offers him what he wants or he'll be getting that somewhere else.

Emrethis

150k is pushing it I agree, but I wouldn't compare his wage with the Spurs players who are extremely underpaid compared to other players with similar value.

I expect Dybala's wage to skyrocket soon, either Juventus gives in and offers him what he wants or he'll be getting that somewhere else.
150k? He can have it! ... on a pay as you play deal.

Seij

150k? He can have it! ... on a pay as you play deal.
I don't know if Jones will agree to such an offer but that sounds like a smart idea from the team's perspective considering his glass body.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If Jesse Lingard is on 100k, I think Phil Jones has every right to argue his case for 150k.

Kostov

If Jesse Lingard is on 100k, I think Phil Jones has every right to argue his case for 150k.
This, it was the same when we debated Fellaini's contract. None of them deserve those numbers, but we set up a dangerous pattern and Jones deserves 150k a week much more than Lingard deserved his 100k.

poacher

This, it was the same when we debated Fellaini's contract. None of them deserve those numbers, but we set up a dangerous pattern and Jones deserves 150k a week much more than Lingard deserved his 100k.
You guys realise that the world best CB Varane only gets 100k per week, Marcelo 100k, Isco 115k, Jordi Alba 100k and Harry Kane 120k. On what planet does Phi Jones deserve more than those other players? Not only is Jones overpaid but he is typically injured for a third of the season. We have to stop overpaying players at United as it blunts their hunger to perform and means we can't sell them if we want to get rid of them. Maybe we should offer lower base salaries and higher performance-based bonuses for example bonuses for first team appearances and victories and trophies. Another example of overpaid players is Luke Shaw who has done nothing in the three years he has been here and is happy stealing a living sitting in the stands. If players were paid in performance bonuses perhaps they would train harder and actually perform.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
You guys realise that the world best CB Varane only gets 100k per week, Marcelo 100k, Isco 115k, Jordi Alba 100k and Harry Kane 120k. On what planet does Phi Jones deserve more than those other players? Not only is Jones overpaid but he is typically injured for a third of the season. We have to stop overpaying players at United as it blunts their hunger to perform and means we can't sell them if we want to get rid of them. Maybe we should offer lower base salaries and higher performance-based bonuses for example bonuses for first team appearances and victories and trophies. Another example of overpaid players is Luke Shaw who has done nothing in the three years he has been here and is happy stealing a living sitting in the stands. If players were paid in performance bonuses perhaps they would train harder and actually perform.
We've overpaid Jesse Lingard giving him 100k, we don't really have the merit to say no to Phil Jones, a starter who is demanding 150k. It's our own fault, I wouldn't blame Phil Jones. On the basis that there is more money in the premier league, therefore they are likely to get paid more than La Liga players, the majority of City players are on 200k+. Spurs is an anomaly to the way the rest of the Top 6 pay their players and I'm not too sure it will be sustainable.

Last edited:

Kostov

As @MyOnlySolskjaer already pointed out, it's a bit late to act like we don't overpay players constantly. And not only Lingard, remember Ashley Young was on more money than Reus back in the Sir Alex era. We do it all the time, and contrary to Lingard i feel if Jones gets over his injuries (touch wood) he deserves that kind of money in this current climate. As he showed this season, he is our best defender and there's not much between him and Varane, who you overrate saying he's the best in the world. I rate him personally and think he has the potential but so does our Jones.

Varun

Staff
The Spanish wages you're quoting are after tax. The wages you quoted in the earlier post are incorrect too.

Emrethis

I think there's room for a middle ground here. An initial 100k/week, but after 40 appearances (basically one full season), his wage increases to 150k/week. This gives the club leeway to monitor his fitness before committing, and gives the player assurance that he'll be guaranteed a higher wage in the future.

poacher

The Spanish wages you're quoting are after tax. The wages you quoted in the earlier post are incorrect too.
I got the figures from another poster on this site. The exact numbers aren't important and were used for illustration purposes only and hopefully, doesn't change the gist of what I was getting at. The fact is that Manchester United pays some average squad players more than many far better players in other teams, for example, Paulo Dybala only gets 110k per week and the man is a superstar. The problem comes when we try to move players on for example we had Wayne Rooney on 300k. There weren't many teams willing to take on his wages without a big subsidy from United. I believe we also had problems moving Anderson and Nani on in the past due to similar issues. I am not having a go at Phi Jones specifically. I believe that Phi Jones has actually stepped up his performances this year and probably earned a contract extension just not at 150k per week. My problem is that we appear to overpay all/most of our players in comparison to players in other teams in the EPL and abroad and this is creating a rod for our own backs everytime a new player is signed or a contract renegotiated. I would like to see lower base salaries implemented across the board and higher bonuses for on-field performances(Pay for play).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
You actually think Varane is the worlds best?

Varun

Staff
I got the figures from another poster on this site. The exact numbers aren't important and were used for illustration purposes only and hopefully, doesn't change the gist of what I was getting at. The fact is that Manchester United pays some average squad players more than many far better players in other teams, for example, Paulo Dybala only gets 110k per week and the man is a superstar. The problem comes when we try to move players on for example we had Wayne Rooney on 300k. There weren't many teams willing to take on his wages without a big subsidy from United. I believe we also had problems moving Anderson and Nani on in the past due to similar issues. I am not having a go at Phi Jones specifically. I believe that Phi Jones has actually stepped up his performances this year and probably earned a contract extension just not at 150k per week. My problem is that we appear to overpay all/most of our players in comparison to players in other teams in the EPL and abroad and this is creating a rod for our own backs everytime a new player is signed or a contract renegotiated. I would like to see lower base salaries implemented across the board and higher bonuses for on-field performances(Pay for play).
Yes, I agree with the general premise of your post. We do pay over the top for squad players but then with the amount of money we make, you can understand why players want their piece. That's the problem the PL in general faces too.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yeah, pay as you play for this guy. His injury record is damn near ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.