g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
People on the bandwagon calling him stupid :rolleyes:

One of our most intelligent players.
Exactly. Easily one of our most intelligent players. Trusted by Fergies in numerous important positions as a teenager. His last few 'injuries' have seen him go off as a precautionary measure... this one included.

Jone is very careful with his body and doesn't put it in a situation where it might get injured.

Dobbs

Exactly. Easily one of our most intelligent players. Trusted by Fergies in numerous important positions as a teenager. His last few 'injuries' have seen him go off as a precautionary measure... this one included.

Jone is very careful with his body and doesn't put it in a situation where it might get injured.
???

He's just started a friendly with a strapped thigh and exited after 5 mins. How can that possibly be described as being careful with his body.

AndyJ1985

:lol: He played last night with a bandaged leg, then continued to play on after he started to limp.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Samuel L Jackson should play Phil Jones in a movie. He’s used to playing Mr Glass.

Siorac

Honestly do any non united players ever get injured on international duty?

Every time there's an international break its always a united player that comes back injured
They obviously do, you just don't give a feck about them.

SATA

A brainless manager who started an injured player in a meaningless friendly. I don't blame Jones at all, he has always given 100% whenever he's in a United shirt

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
*vomits*

Jones will be first choice regardless of sitting out a few friendlies.
To be fair, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play for your country at a World Cup. Regardless of patriotism, it's still the biggest tournament of them all.

Fully Fledged

???

He's just started a friendly with a strapped thigh and exited after 5 mins. How can that possibly be described as being careful with his body.
I blame Southgate for that there is no way he should be starting him in a friendly with an injury. I can't blame Jones for wanting to play for his country, if I was a top flight sportsman I would.
It brings back the argument of how much international managers care about the long term health of players.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Isn't he well-known for doing the exact opposite? I've seen him jump into numerous tackles with no regard for his personal safety. It's an admirable quality in some ways, but I wouldn't say he's looked after himself particularly well.

Devil may care

i think it's pretty common for players to play not being 100% fit, with strapping on etc.
Yeah but not for meaningless friendlies, the club should have pulled him or Southgate should have used some common sense.

haram

i think it's pretty common for players to play not being 100% fit, with strapping on etc.
When you have a history of injuries like Jones has, you don't risk it in a friendly.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This isn't on Jones imo, but Southgate is a moron.

He's just forced himself back into the England picture with some excellent performances for his club, and he wants to solidify that position with the world cup just over 6 months away. The management should have assured him that missing this pointless friendly with a strapped up thigh wouldn't impact his place.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's not intelligent. He's stupid. Like really stupid. The quicker we find a replacement for him, the better.

Ban

This isn't on Jones imo, but Southgate is a moron.

He's just forced himself back into the England picture with some excellent performances for his club, and he wants to solidify that position with the world cup just over 6 months away. The management should have assured him that missing this pointless friendly with a strapped up thigh wouldn't impact his place.
Yeah but in that case Jones should have told him he's not fit to play or he won't risk it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
11:27
Phil Jones speaks out on being branded 'injury prone'
Jones has been sent home from the England camp with an injury but the United defender has hit back at claims he’s injury prone.

Speaking to The Sun he said:

“It’s a fine line. People think you’re injured. I’m not injured, I’m just carrying a little niggle.

“But people think, ‘Oh he’s injured, he’s got an ankle problem’.

“It doesn’t mean you’re injured, you’re managing it for the next game. Injuries get misinterpreted.

“I could give you a list of 40 Premier League players who’ve had far more injuries than me and nobody talks about them.

“Maybe that’s because I play for United and that’s the way it is. But I’ve never seen myself as that.”

Jones then gave an interesting revelation about his wife:

“My wife is always saying I’m clumsy but that’s little stuff around the house. I two-foot her in the kitchen!”

arthurka

Jones has been sent home from the England camp with an injury but the United defender has hit back at claims he’s injury prone.

“It’s a fine line. People think you’re injured. I’m not injured, I’m just carrying a little niggle.

“It doesn’t mean you’re injured, you’re managing it for the next game. Injuries get misinterpreted.

“I could give you a list of 40 Premier League players who’ve had far more injuries than me and nobody talks about them.

“Maybe that’s because I play for United and that’s the way it is. But I’ve never seen myself as that.”

“My wife is always saying I’m clumsy but that’s little stuff around the house. I two-foot her in the kitchen!”
I bet you do Jonsey...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

He's The man of glass.

Good luck to him at his new club next summer. Too unreliable

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah but in that case Jones should have told him he's not fit to play or he won't risk it.
And risk coming off as flaky to the England boss? I totally get why he'd want to show the boss he'd do everything for the team. It's up to Southgate to take him out of contention and assure him it won't affect his place.

Ban

And risk coming off as flaky to the England boss? I totally get why he'd want to show the boss he'd do everything for the team. It's up to Southgate to take him out of contention and assure him it won't affect his place.
If that would be flaky for Southgate then he's an idiot tbh.

Morpheus 7

I think Jones is a great player when fit and gets a run of games. He's been fit the majority of this season and the injuries aren't as frequent in the last year. He's a really good squad player and shows leadership in the backline, can't say that for many others. In my opinion we should alternate between Jones and Bailly/ Jones Rojo. That's what worked well at the start of this season and well last year with Rojo. It's getting the balance. Lindelof has much to prove and Smalling lacks confidence on the ball.

redflair

After Mourinho's finished with him, we might see only a torso crawling out of Old Trafford one day.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People need to stop this abuse of Jones, he has been one of our best players this season and has played basically every league game. Also please change his profile photo, it's not 2012.
:boring: people need to stop telling people what to do and being touchy about a photo

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's going to cost us games, not because of his performances but because of his sheer unreliability to stay fit during games. Defence will have to adjust, reshuffle etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just giving an opinion, don't see why one of our most consistent performers should be mocked so freely. Go to bed if you're tired.
Because it's both comedy and highly frustrating that he cannot stay fit. The world doesn't have to be so watered down that you can't take the rip or be pissed off at one of our players.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's going to cost us games, not because of his performances but because of his sheer unreliability to stay fit during games. Defence will have to adjust, reshuffle etc.
This is what gets to me most. It's felt like that it's been constantly doing that for a long time now.

Chillosophy

Hopefully the crock is ready for the weekend :nervous: Although i wouldnt mind seeing VLN now that he's full of confidence, just not sure Newcastle is the best opponent for him.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I blame Phil Jones for this. He should've pulled out himself. His position within the National team means he'll go to Russia anyway but now United as always are left with the bill....At some point your obligation towards your club comes first imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.