Gaming PlayStation 5

JP77

Made the decision to try to get a disc version possibly this week. Realising more and more the mistake I made getting digital, wanted the console so much at the start of the year that I didn’t really think it through enough.

you just can’t get deals in the way you can for disc. I can’t justify paying 70 quid for ratchet and clank as an example which can be completed in a day or two, had a discussion with my brother about it and it’s a real issue for me. I don’t mind paying that amount for sports games or games like a GTA that you can genuinely sink hundreds of hours into, just can’t justify it digitally for a game that you can play through in such a short space of time and then it has no resale value, at least with the disc you could get some of the money back if you really wanted to get rid. Ratchet is definitely a great example, I could pay full price on digital yet if I had the disc version I could pick it up for 30 quid on Facebook, saving 40 quid in the run and likely be able to recoup some of that money too when I completed it if I wanted to. In the long run the disc version saves so much more money, i talked myself into getting the digital version when I badly wanted the console at the start of the year, I think a lot of thedecision was down to how hard it was to get one and the price at the time having to buy it as a bundle. There’s also the added bonus of being able to use rental services with the disc version. The extra 100 or whatever it is is without a doubt worth paying on the disc version short term and long term.

Hoping to pick up the disc version this week, bit gutted as could have got it from Argos last week.

Bosws87

Made the decision to try to get a disc version possibly this week. Realising more and more the mistake I made getting digital, wanted the console so much at the start of the year that I didn’t really think it through enough.

you just can’t get deals in the way you can for disc. I can’t justify paying 70 quid for ratchet and clank as an example which can be completed in a day or two, had a discussion with my brother about it and it’s a real issue for me. I don’t mind paying that amount for sports games or games like a GTA that you can genuinely sink hundreds of hours into, just can’t justify it digitally for a game that you can play through in such a short space of time and then it has no resale value, at least with the disc you could get some of the money back if you really wanted to get rid. Ratchet is definitely a great example, I could pay full price on digital yet if I had the disc version I could pick it up for 30 quid on Facebook, saving 40 quid in the run and likely be able to recoup some of that money too when I completed it if I wanted to. In the long run the disc version saves so much more money, i talked myself into getting the digital version when I badly wanted the console at the start of the year, I think a lot of thedecision was down to how hard it was to get one and the price at the time having to buy it as a bundle. There’s also the added bonus of being able to use rental services with the disc version. The extra 100 or whatever it is is without a doubt worth paying on the disc version short term and long term.

Hoping to pick up the disc version this week, bit gutted as could have got it from Argos last week.
Digital is a terrible choice while Sony continue the ridiculous pricing on their store.

The whole point of digital was it should be cheaper as there is no manufacturing process.

Really need it to be an open market where you can buy cdkeys from other sites and places like on the pc platform.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Digital is a terrible choice while Sony continue the ridiculous pricing on their store.

The whole point of digital was it should be cheaper as there is no manufacturing process.

Really need it to be an open market where you can buy cdkeys from other sites and places like on the pc platform.
Isn’t the manufacturing process a tiny part of the cost of the game anyway?

nooshka

I’ve been offered a VIP code for a PS5 in Curry’s for £15 which I’m seriously considering getting only concern is how long I’d have to wait for the PS5 to be delivered once I’ve ordered it, anyone know?

JP77

I’ve been offered a VIP code for a PS5 in Curry’s for £15 which I’m seriously considering getting only concern is how long I’d have to wait for the PS5 to be delivered once I’ve ordered it, anyone know?
No idea how long the delivery wait is but do not pay any money for a code. Quite a few people giving them away on Twitter etc and other places, from what I know it doesn’t guarantee you one either unless I’m mistaken.

There should be quite a few drops this week, Game in particular. Apparently a few places tomorrow or Wednesday.

nooshka

No idea how long the delivery wait is but do not pay any money for a code. Quite a few people giving them away on Twitter etc and other places, from what I know it doesn’t guarantee you one either unless I’m mistaken.

There should be quite a few drops this week, Game in particular. Apparently a few places tomorrow or Wednesday.
Cool, cheers. The person I was speaking to strangely ended up offering mea disc version for £500 anyway so I just took him up on the offer.

LoneStar

Just started playing Persona 5 yesterday. The reviews mentioned be ready to waste some 100 hours of your life on it! Should be interesting, since I've never played a JRPG before. Any tips?

Also, I tried playing COD warzone the other day and kept getting annihilated. I really need practise with shooting on a controller, any non competitive games which will help me with that?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I had to give up Persona 5 about halfway through. I just couldn't stand the cat anymore, the most annoying character I've ever encountered in a game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Saw my mate at a wedding last night and he’s going to give me a code to get Kena: Bridge of Spirits for free when it comes out :D

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Just started playing Persona 5 yesterday. The reviews mentioned be ready to waste some 100 hours of your life on it! Should be interesting, since I've never played a JRPG before. Any tips?

Also, I tried playing COD warzone the other day and kept getting annihilated. I really need practise with shooting on a controller, any non competitive games which will help me with that?
As JRPG's go it's pretty accessible, but as it's a JRPG, it's also incredibly slow and dialogue heavy early on. It takes a good 10-15 hours before it properly opens up and you get past all the tutorials etc.

It's one of my favourite ever games but it won't be for everyone. I always advise people to stick with it until the 2nd palace and if you're not enjoying it by then, probably best to stop.

LoneStar

As JRPG's go it's pretty accessible, but as it's a JRPG, it's also incredibly slow and dialogue heavy early on. It takes a good 10-15 hours before it properly opens up and you get past all the tutorials etc.

It's one of my favourite ever games but it won't be for everyone. I always advise people to stick with it until the 2nd palace and if you're not enjoying it by then, probably best to stop.
Thanks! Most of the reviews and comments also mentioned that its slow pace at the begining and then picks up.

Are the battles going to be intense, or is this something I can fire up on remote play on my iPad and play in bed?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Thanks! Most of the reviews and comments also mentioned that its slow pace at the begining and then picks up.

Are the battles going to be intense, or is this something I can fire up on remote play on my iPad and play in bed?
Eh, you really haven't played a JRPG before have you? :lol:

It's all turn based, you'll be fine.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Saw my mate at a wedding last night and he’s going to give me a code to get Kena: Bridge of Spirits for free when it comes out :D
I was at a wedding last night… where was this wedding of yours? :lol:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Does anybody else’s PS5 vibrate quite loudly when starting a game from disc? It calms down after 30 seconds or so, but makes a very noticeable whiny noise to begin with from the disc drive.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Does anybody else’s PS5 vibrate quite loudly when starting a game from disc? It calms down after 30 seconds or so, but makes a very noticeable whiny noise to begin with from the disc drive.
Mine does rev up a bit if there's a disk in the drive, yeah. I wouldn't say it vibrates. Just makes a noise for about 10 seconds then chills out.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mine does rev up a bit if there's a disk in the drive, yeah. I wouldn't say it vibrates. Just makes a noise for about 10 seconds then chills out.
if I take the bottom left corner (by the disk drive) and lift it slightly the vibration stops. I think it’s probably due to the ridiculous stand as I’ve got it laid horizontal.

Irwin99

Anyone played Hades? Now joint top on Metacritic for best PS5 game and a lot of people loved it on Switch. Might pick it up at some point.

This year has been pretty awful for big releases. I'm currently only looking forward to Death Stranding re-release in September and Dark Pictures Anthology release in October (which will almost certainly suck but i'll buy it anyway for a cheap Halloween game).

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
if I take the bottom left corner (by the disk drive) and lift it slightly the vibration stops. I think it’s probably due to the ridiculous stand as I’ve got it laid horizontal.
Yeah, the stand is not great. It's almost like they built the machine and thought "ah shit, we're gonna need some sort of stand here" becuase it seems very half assed.

Oldyella

Managed to order one today from the Game restock. Couldn't get a digital version either so spent more than I wanted to, but FOMO kicked in

Just the waiting for it to arrive now..

Shark

@NotShark
Anyone played Hades? Now joint top on Metacritic for best PS5 game and a lot of people loved it on Switch. Might pick it up at some point.

This year has been pretty awful for big releases. I'm currently only looking forward to Death Stranding re-release in September and Dark Pictures Anthology release in October (which will almost certainly suck but i'll buy it anyway for a cheap Halloween game).
Playing it on gamepass at the moment and it's honestly one of the best games I've played in a while. I've never been fully into rougelike games either but it's so addictive and super varied in how you can play.

Godfather

Finally got my hands on one. In a bundle with that Spiderman game. Wouldn't have bought that but will give it a try.

Elden Ring can come now.

You have to pay for it? I got my VIP pass for free on their website. Think it was about 1 or 2 months later that the PS5 offer came. They send you an email with a link to validate your code and then someone calls you back 2-4 days later to process the sale comes to £500 something because you get £20 credit and 6 months PlayStation online access

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Stock at Very if anyone is looking.