POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theonas

Scout
He is pretty much the perfect man to get the job done i.e: get you a medal. He is the equivalent of a hitman really. Logic suggests therefore that if you need a trophy in the here and now, he is your number 1 candidate above pretty much everyone else. He is more proven than Pep and makes Ancelotti look like a newbie in the art of winning trophies and one bad season is not going to change that. The catch though is you have to abandon any notion of a style with him and by style I don't mean entertaining or attacking football or whatever. I simply mean an idea, a foundation that can be called upon for long term success which is again a bit like a hitman, he would come in, do the job with whatever means necessary and get it done.

The question is therefore is are we desperate like that for a trophy, For me, it is a definite no! 2 years (very likely 3) without a trophy is nothing in the big scheme of things. Barcelona went 5 trophyless years, Juventus were in the second division and we ourselves went 3 years without a league title under Fergie and all those sides came back from that. So I think we still can afford more time in the hope of building and working on more long term views. This obviously has a limit and if it continues like this, there will be a point when going further trophyless will in fact jeopardize our status and finances like what happened to Liverpool at a certain point and to a lesser degree Arsenal. If it gets to that, Mourinho is ahead of everyone to save us. If not, he really offers nothing else and therefore should be as far away from the list of candidates as possible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
One of the saving graces of this season so far is Mourinho doing a Moyes.

It's not so much that it's funny (although it is funny), as that if not the Josites would be out in force now telling us how we should have gotten Mourinho and how "this wouldn't have happened under Jose"...it was insufferable when Moyes was in charge. It'd practicallly turn into a **** if he did come here.

Also, the main to traits I don''t like about Van Gaal are the dislikable "look at me" ego and dull football...and guess what two traits Mourinho consistently has even when his teams are doing well?

NoPace

2nd best resume in terms of results after Pep.

Football would be ugly.

He'd be motivated after this Chelsea run.

Squad fit is decent enough with Schneiderlin and Smalling suited to defending deep, Memphis and Martial better on the break and Herrera and Shaw would probably do well. I guess Mata would likely leave with a more normal right winger brought in.

Bottom line, it would certainly be easier to attract great players and the next manager if we were doing better and you have to think Mourinho would likely improve results.

I'd rather see us appoint someone who could make our games exciting to watch again, but pragmatically this makes sense. At Mourinho's age he's unlikely to have just lost the abilities he showed. I mean, what he did at Inter was phenomenal (League in year one, Treble in year two) and until last month, that was his worst managerial record since he started at Porto.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I voted no because i really want to see Pep at United. But if not Pep, then i'd take Jose in a heart beat, and i still think he'd love to manage here.

The Purley King

Jose just isn't a very nice person. Doesn't win with dignity, doesn't lose with dignity. He is an appalling role model and just not of suitable character to manage Utd.
He should be firmly at the bottom of any managerial list. I rather get Moyes back than have Jose.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I voted Yes. But i'm that desperate for a change, i'd probably vote 'Yes' to having Joao Moutinho as the next Manchester United manager, too.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I think the poll should be Mourinho or LVG for the next 2/3 years and I think there would be more wanting a change than keeping LvG.

I voted no, but would vote yes if it was a choice between the two of them for the next 2/3 years.

Revan

Assumptionman
He was top of my list a few years ago. Now, he would be my third choice after Pep and Ancelotti.

NJM78

Great manager, great pull for players, huge attitude and often a complete tw@t.....would have him in a heartbeat! But prefer to get Pep.

davidmichael

I've NEVER wanted to see Mourinho in charge of us and NEVER want to see it happen because Mourinho is exactly the same as LVG, just a newer version but with the same negative tactics which much like with LVG in the 90's has brought success for Mourinho but also like LVG he falls out with everyone.

LVG and Mourinho love to claim all the credit when anything goes right but blame everyone else when everything goes wrong, they can't ever accept its them in the wrong and it's so un-United for a manager to do that.

One of the greatest qualities Sir Alex had was how he took pretty much all responsibility for anything that ever went wrong to protect his players which is something that Ancellotti also does and I have no doubt Giggs and Gary Neville will also have that in them from Sir Alex.

For me it's got to be Ancellotti with Giggs under him being groomed and virtually assured of taking over straight after, Ancellotti plays quick counter attacking football with pacey wingers and creative midfielders which is how we played under Sir Matt and Sir Alex.

Players WANT to play under Ancellotti as well, it was only the other day Ronaldo said he wanted to play under Ancellotti again and how much he loved playing under him and although I don't mean we should re-sign Ronaldo it shows how much players enjoy playing under Ancellotti.

Loon

:lol:
No not at all

Clough only had 2 months with Leeds and it was a disaster from start to finish and the fans hated him day one

It was nothing to do with football that he failed
Oh blimey. Was a joke, my friend. A daft one, but one nevertheless.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
Seeing if he can come back from a place he's never been before is the interesting thing to watch.

f_to_z

I would not prefer Mourinho at United. Honestly I think that if he comes he will win us cups and leagues. He has proven he can do that. Though this year has shown something different about his character when put in this situation with Chelsea and under immense pressure. I think he has broken down mentally and he also broke the team by his statements. He should do more to protect the players publicly then give them the hair dryer behind closed doors.

He would also change the United image. Most United managers are usually professional and respectful to other managers. In his case he will get in a war and mind games with most managers and it will be more about him rather than United.

Werder Herzog

For all his negatives i do love his us against the world attitude however much it seems childish. Proven winner and 1 awful season does not mean he is suddenly crap. Would attract big name players too, my main problem is letting that slime Mendes near our club and having an influx of his players here...but if we were winning trophies would i care? It's a tough one.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I thought when SAF retired, Mourinho was the ideal steady-the-ship candidate. He'd come in, do some shopping, win some games and show that life goes on. By now he'd probably be into the meltdown phase and we'd be sorting out what we wanted next. We'd be in good enough shape to try the Giggs gamble for example.

The board skipped that phase and attempted to go directly to a longterm manager in Moyes. That failure meant they went looking for a "big personality" in LvG.

Jumping now to Mourinho would be pointless, he's not a squad builder. I don't even think he's an inspirational leader anymore. So, no, not for me, I think the Mourinho window has already closed.

Minimalist

He was top of my list a few years ago. Now, he would be my third choice after Pep and Ancelotti.
Yeah that's sort of my angle. Bit confused at this idea he's not in contention should Chelsea sack him.

Short memories and all that.

Essentially if we rule out Pep, Carlo and Simone, who else is there? Are we seriously saying we would rather Giggs take the reigns than Mourinho? This place is downright frightening if that's the case.

Djemba-Djemba

I wouldn't want him.

I want to see some nice attacking football, we've had 3 years of fecking boring shite to watch.

Mourinho would provide just as boring football.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We have to remember that this guy is still one of the best coach in the world, and what he did last year, during the first 6 months, and then managing the title during the second part of the season was magnificent. He won the title with a lot of average players by a large margin.

He built a terrific team at Inter, and even at Madrid he had a terrific team full of talent and made them play a bright football in 2012 (when they won the Liga).

I think that Mourinho adpats his tactics to his players but loves seat deep and counter. Just what SAF did.

We can't forget that his Chelsea squad was better than us for the last 3 years, so we shouldn't complain about his quality.

IF United can't attract Guardiola, and I think they won't, we should have gone for Ancelotti, he's now at Munich. So we've to beat PSG for Mourinho now.

The club wants a top manager, with Mourinho you have one of the best, and can be terrific to have Guardiola and José in the same town.

I'd rather have Mourinho than Giggs on the bench, Pochettino or Martinez to be honest. We need an actual to manager able to attract top player too

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He's got a point to prove and he's a bloody good coach when he's not being a dick. I wouldn't mind it. The issue is player personnel, he seems unable or unwilling to build long term and he invariably seems to alienate most of his squad after a while.

Kant-ona

If we don't get Pep and since Ancelotti seems to sign for Bayern and since the other options are all also pretty risky...

... Jose wouldn't be the worst decision. He would be full of hate... ah... I mean... he would be fully motivated and we just should make sure to let him go after three seasons.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think before this season it would be much closer but the number of shit he's come out with coupled with the stretch of form that Chelsea are going through means it's heavily weighted in the No category.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He's got a point to prove and he's a bloody good coach when he's not being a dick. I wouldn't mind it. The issue is player personnel, he seems unable or unwilling to build long term and he invariably seems to alienate most of his squad after a while.
That's simply not true, he alienated Casillas in his last season in Madrid and has been proven more than correct to do so, at Inter the players were sweating blood for him.

zain

Believe
All the people claiming Jose's teams play boring football.

Did they even watch Chelsea between 2004-2006?
Robben, Duff and Joe Cole running rings around people. That was hardly boring football and the amount of goals they scored too was amazing.

Likewise with Madrid..

He plays boring football when he thinks it would give his sides the best chances to win. But that isn't the case all the time.
Fergie did the same in 2008 at times too against Barca in the semi.

NinjaFletch

I've voted no, but I really mean yes.

He shouldn't be our first choice, but the very real possibility is in the summer we'll be given the option of:

A) Mou B) Giggs C) Another season of LVG

In that scenario Mou is the clear winner.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We might as well scrap the academy if we hire him. A big fat NO.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
I've voted no, but I really mean yes.

He shouldn't be our first choice, but the very real possibility is in the summer we'll be given the option of:

A) Mou B) Giggs C) Another season of LVG

In that scenario Mou is the clear winner.
That's my view, too. Pep is my choice, but I doubt we'll get him, because our board is a joke, and I can see the above scenario developing, in which case Mourinho is the obvious candidate.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I voted no. However, if there would be no chance of getting Pep (and subsequently Carlo), I think I'd actually rather get Jose than to carry on with Louis.

Dobba

I'd literally rather have Jamie Redknapp manage United. Literally.

Or, failing that, Paul Scholes. But all his public statements, team selections and team talks are done through snidey articles on Paddy Power's website. Rooney is promoted to life captain and gets Scholes' salary as well as his own. If Rooney goes a game without scoring, every other United player on the pitch has half his wages docked for a week, with Rooney getting that as well.