[Poll] Are you convinced by us, or do you think we're flattering to deceive?

Are you convinced by us, or do you think we're flattering to deceive?

• Total voters

ROFLUTION

It seems that a club can win the league by winning 2-4 of the top 6 matches and draw the others (Leicester and Chelsea mostly did this).

We should win and be a bit more adventurous against Spurs and Arsenal I think - but the bus-tactic could just as well be used against Chelsea. Not convinced itll work against City again though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It seems that a club can win the league by winning 2-4 of the top 6 matches and draw the others (Leicester and Chelsea mostly did this).

We should win and be a bit more adventurous against Spurs and Arsenal I think - but the bus-tactic could just as well be used against Chelsea. Not convinced itll work against City again though.
That was nothing invented by Chelsea or Leicester as the strategy was the bed rock of Ferguson's league winning run. Beat the teams you have to beat, stay dominant at home and defend and counter in tough away games. We have defending down to a tee, we are dominant at home and once that counter attacking threat comes back into play we will be in business.

prtk0811

We have defending down to a tee, we are dominant at home and once that counter attacking threat comes back into play we will be in business.
But that is difficult with the players you have on the wings like martial rashford and young MKh for some instances. They are just not good enough for those tactics. They'll only perform when you use them to their strenghts. And that is difficult decision to make( may be not for mourinho because all he cares about is results , he will not care about getting the best from the current players by playing to their strenghts)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
But that is difficult with the players you have on the wings like martial rashford and young MKh for some instances. They are just not good enough for those tactics. They'll only perform when you use them to their strenghts. And that is difficult decision to make.
Martial and Rashford are good counter attacking threats, either of them can carry the ball at pace and both like to bust a lung to get into the box. The problem is with Lukaku's inability to hold up and lay off the ball to initiate a counter and Mkhitaryan's utter failure at releasing the ball at the right time.

prtk0811

Martial and Rashford are good counter attacking threats, either of them can carry the ball at pace and both like to bust a lung to get into the box. The problem is with Lukaku's inability to hold up and lay off the ball to initiate a counter and Mkhitaryan's utter failure at releasing the ball at the right time.
No THey are not that effective to the levels we had before because they are doubled up pretty eaisily. They are not ronaldo di maria bale robben giggs nani's type counter attackers.

They might have the ability to carry the ball, but as of yet i have not seen much from them against decent opposition which can convince you that they'll be effctive.

beep

Neither, to be honest, but more convinced than not. It's a rebuild. Last year was a success, because of the EL win. This year requires more. City are streaking ahead, but it's not beyond the capabilities of JM to reel this in.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No THey are not that effective to the levels we had before because they are doubled up pretty eaisily. They are not ronaldo di maria bale robben giggs nani's type counter attackers.

They might have the ability to carry the ball, but as of yet i have not seen much from them against decent opposition which can convince you that they'll be effctive.
How can you be doubled on a counter? The whole concept of a counter attack is based on suddenly having a numerical advantage.

prtk0811

How can you be doubled on a counter? The whole concept of a counter attack is based on suddenly having a numerical advantage.
When you Punt the ball long to lukaku from the defense as instantly you recive it waiting for the second balls you will never have the numerical advantage on the counter because the balls travels faster than players.

ROFLUTION

That was nothing invented by Chelsea or Leicester as the strategy was the bed rock of Ferguson's league winning run. Beat the teams you have to beat, stay dominant at home and defend and counter in tough away games. We have defending down to a tee, we are dominant at home and once that counter attacking threat comes back into play we will be in business.
Totally agree. I think its nice to see we (almost) can master both. Compared to teams that only has one brand of football. This is truly where we had our edge under Ferguson. And I think Perisic would be Mourinhos wet dream for counter attacking in these matches.

Mourinho seems hyperdefensive compared to Ferguson though. Completely like watching Chelsea vs Barca where the tactic is for a Ramires type of player to nick it. Or Inter vs Barca. We'll see where it ends.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You're over egging the form of Liverpool, they may well be pretty good going forward , but it's also universally accepted that they are absolute garbage at the back. It's also not as if we are some feckin no hoppers.
A club with our resources choosing not to attack such a weak defence is a frankly, pathetic.
This has been the case for about 5 years yet we've scored no more than 2 goals at Anfield in any given game.

frank lee madeer..

This has been the case for about 5 years yet we've scored no more than 2 goals at Anfield in any given game.
Are you thinking that I'm suggesting we should be putting 3 or 4 past them at their place ?? That's never been a realistic pov, & it's certainly not one I've aired. We should not be shit scared either though, especially given our goal scoring credentials and their inability to defend.

You reference us only scoring at most 2 goals in the same 90 mins there as if it's a bad thing and something that should make us cautious ? Maybe I'm missing your point , but the fact is , we haven't scored at anfield at all under Jose, I'd much prefer the score 2 goals in one game option over the 2 attempts at goal over 2 games option we've witnessed on our most recent visits.
Weve showed very little intent to score 1 goal, let alone 3 or 4 there, that's what my issue is, a clear lack of intent, fear, or whatever you wanna call it.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Are you thinking that I'm suggesting we should be putting 3 or 4 past them at their place ?? That's never been a realistic pov, & it's certainly not one I've aired. We should not be shit scared either though, especially given our goal scoring credentials and their inability to defend.

You reference us only scoring at most 2 goals in the same 90 mins there as if it's a bad thing and something that should make us cautious ? Maybe I'm missing your point , but the fact is , we haven't scored at anfield at all under Jose, I'd much prefer the score 2 goals in one game option over the 2 attempts at goal over 2 games option we've witnessed on our most recent visits.
Weve showed very little intent to score 1 goal, let alone 3 or 4 there, that's what my issue is, a clear lack of intent, fear, or whatever you wanna call it.
The point is they've had a bad defense for years and never has there been a game at Anfield where we've taken advantage of this both in terms of goals and creativity. Even Juanfield was more the case of us handling their press with ease as opposed to us looking extremely potent in attack.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
After the weekend i have lost a lot of optimism. Despite the start we've had, we haven't played a tough game until Liverpool, so it was a significant game in that sense.

The tactical side has been discussed to death by others already, but what has really got to me is how, yet again, our players have completely shit their pants against them lot. We rip their players apart on here but they always bring their A game against us and they played us off the park. There was nothing positive to take from the game.

I'd love to know why these supposedly better players of ours have the attitude of absolute pussies. They panicked every time they got the ball. Mkhi is an embarrassment. Jones was shocking and looked as though he'd cost us a goal every time the ball went near him.

Even though we've spent tonnes of money I'm sat here still thinking we need huge investment right across the pitch to compete and that isn't right. I could make an argument for a new player in every position bar goalkeeper. Meanwhile City are stacked with quality throughout. They have players on the bench that would start every week for us.

prtk0811

Even though we've spent tonnes of money I'm sat here still thinking we need huge investment right across the pitch to compete and that isn't right. I could make an argument for a new player in every position bar goalkeeper. Meanwhile City are stacked with quality throughout. They have players on the bench that would start every week for us.
We are stacked with quality, too its not a fair assesment . it came down to the ambition of how you want to play against your rivals away from home, or how effcient are you for taking 3 points at your home against top sides.

Not counting out Mourinho right now, Until we drop points against chelsea or tottenham if city keeps winning.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We are stacked with quality, too its not a fair assesment . it came down to the ambition of how you want to play against your rivals away from home, or how effcient are you for taking 3 points at your home against top sides.

Not counting out Mourinho right now, Until we drop points against chelsea or tottenham if city keeps winning.
The top quality players don't wilt under pressure like we did. As you say though we're still in it so who knows what will happen?

frank lee madeer..

After the weekend i have lost a lot of optimism. Despite the start we've had, we haven't played a tough game until Liverpool, so it was a significant game in that sense.

The tactical side has been discussed to death by others already, but what has really got to me is how, yet again, our players have completely shit their pants against them lot. We rip their players apart on here but they always bring their A game against us and they played us off the park. There was nothing positive to take from the game.

I'd love to know why these supposedly better players of ours have the attitude of absolute pussies. They panicked every time they got the ball. Mkhi is an embarrassment. Jones was shocking and looked as though he'd cost us a goal every time the ball went near him.

Let's be honest, Citehs midfield is very good for the way they play, but there is no way they would start every week for a Jose team. If they did , they would possibly struggle as the 2 managers are polar opposites in what they want from their players. It's one thing us as fans coveting oppo players, but you have to bear in mind that a major part of their collective performance is how they are utilised by their respective managers .

shaky

I'm convinced. We already have more points and goals by the middle of October than we did going into December last season and we could well secure a CL knockout place with a couple of games to spare too. Also ahead of 3 of last seasons top 4, (comfortably ahead of 2 of them). What City are doing at the moment shouldn't really factor into people's opinions of the start we've made, but it clearly seems to be.

prtk0811

The top quality players don't wilt under pressure like we did. As you say though we're still in it so who knows what will happen?
Any player looks top quality when he's used to his strenghts, Mourinho Pulled the handbrake in our momentum himself when we failed to test their defense in the second half as liverpool brought coutinho inside to dominate the ball even more in 4v2. by keep playing longballs and expecting mkh to win second balls.

I could predict before the game MArtial will have no effect in the attack for major parts of the game, Lukaku to be isolated and everything depending on Ashley youngs crosses to lukaku in the box. Martial needs freedom to make something happen as he does not have the work rate of young.

At the start of the season every one knew Mkh 's form was gonna be huge for us into the season to keep the attacking momentum going and when he'll sulk at his main Position that's where the problem will arrive.

If we showed little ambition and heart and kept the ball better we would have got 3 points from the game. THe key is to use players on their strenghts.

Rusholme Ruffian

What City are doing at the moment shouldn't really factor into people's opinions of the start we've made, but it clearly seems to be.
You're right - it's having a huge impact and people are stamping their little feet because in spite of taking over a club in a worse state and spending £100 million less they believe that nasty Jose should be doing better than second place in the league and top of our CL group.

prtk0811

If our attack and passing improves in big games then surely i'll be totally convinced. How ever a lot depends on mkh's form surely which i predicted at the start of the season.

tomaldinho1

Expect the same tactics away at Chelsea, City, Spurs and maybe Arsenal as well. This is Jose Mourinho.

At the end of the day, if we can continue on the path we're on we will be top 3 (a massive improvement on recent seasons) and whilst we might not have any big scoring games against title rivals, we should be in the CL. Everyone will drop a lot of points so it's about minimizing this and a draw away at Anfield, Stamford Bride or the Etihad will always be a good result.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

I think that when Jose has parked the bus it has had a near 100% success rate, unless the ref sends off one of our players.
The CFC-MUFC (4-0) game was the obvious one where it did not work. It didn't help that our players completely switched off for most of the game and Smalling put in the worst performance I have ever witnessed by a MUFC defender.
We successfully used it against LFC in all game.
Who else did we try it against and it didn't work?

Jeffthered

I'm convinced that we have a plan and method of winning things. We have the backbone of a top European side once again. But... we need a couple of top, top players to augment the team. Griezemann, Sanchez quality. Still think our mentality has to change , Saturday proved this to an extent.. Bryan Robson was absolutely correct to state that we need players who go to places like Anfield and attack, express themselves. Herrera was too safe in possession, and Miki has been given a lashing by all. We need more of a confident set of players in just a few positions. I wish we could buy a high-quality-left-footed winger/ attacking midfielder. The French national team seem to have a few....

dakingpin1999

Mou knows it's about winning the league, not beating all the big boys.
I said a few big teams not all. The way that utd are playing against the top teams it seems unlikely. Utd can't even roughly get 3 shots on target that's worrying against the big teams.The champions obviously will be the team that beats all the rubbish and then can take the most points when playing against the big teams. At this moment city look more capable of beating the top teams than utd.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mou knows it's about winning the league, not beating all the big boys.
It's going to be quite tight this year, I reckon the team that wins it will be the one that wins against the big boys.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I said back when we were winning 4-0 that I didn't think we were playing that well at all. I got called out on this and said I hope at least the goals don't dry up because our general play isn't that good. Well, the goals are drying up. I still think we'd do well to finish top 4 this season.

I honestly thought we played much better stuff in some of the home draws last year - we're just a lot more clinical this year.

JohnnyKills

How many games have we actually played well in this season?

For me the only ones that spring to mind are West Ham, Basel and CSKA.

Yes we ended up battering Swansea, Palace and Everton but we were poor for large parts of those matches and we've got through the rest with excellent defending and goalkeeping.

Definitely flattering to deceive. Two more bad results against Chelsea and Spurs and City will be well clear.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I voted 'flattering to deceive' during our good spell and my fears have been confirmed.

Lack of talent throughout the squad and a manager that can't coach attacking play for shit.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
We should aim for Top 4. It is the only realistic target for us this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I said back when we were winning 4-0 that I didn't think we were playing that well at all. I got called out on this and said I hope at least the goals don't dry up because our general play isn't that good. Well, the goals are drying up. I still think we'd do well to finish top 4 this season.

I honestly thought we played much better stuff in some of the home draws last year - we're just a lot more clinical this year.
Me too.

Let's make a club!

MJJ

Said the same but got stick for it from the topreds here. Was bound to happen eventually.

Kapardin

As I feared, our attackers bar Lukaku (who himself is not in good form atm) cannot score. Rashford scores now and then, but not consistently enough.

We are due the same goal drought as last season unless we get some service from midfield quick. I predict 55 goals scored max if Pogba and Fellaini don't come back soon.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The convinced figure shows how easily people can be fooled by final scorelines rather than quality of the overall play.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I do not believe we have flattered to deceive. We were without three key players that plays pivotal roles in our team. However, I do believe that our overall squad quality flatter to deceive. Our squad depth is not as good as I first thought.

Looking at city, our squad depth is like league one tier. We should have bought in a left back and another wide player last summer. No need for linderloff signing.