[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Zidane - Very underrated here. Will inspire Utd and may push them to bigger glories. Bit of a risk but this man has Utd written all over him. I think though Utd may stay away from hiring such a big personality immediately again.
Yeah, what ever may be the case, and his team at madrid. Winning 3 ucl back to back with a league title in Spain is no Joke. Also he has worked with Madrid youth and did a great job as well. Got the best out of madrid players and what manager at madrid could create a feeling which everyone wanted him to stay. Very underrated. I get people when they bring up arguments about he not knowing the league and not exp enough to build a team, but having being a hell of a player himself he can get the best out of players as well as he has been in their shoes and will command massive respect as well. He seems to be a quick learner.

Good for ed with marketing too,:lol:. Pochh for one has no reason to leave at the moment and will have madrid as an option as well so it's definitely not easy to land him, moreover the squad ain't suited to the style he plays, so there will be a period he will need to bed in as well.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pochettino for me. Young, progressive, loves to work with youth and improves pretty much every player that had worked with him.

Zidane is an option, but there are lots of questions regarding his actual capabilities and preferred playing style. Fantastic example for the likes of Pogba, Martial and the rest though, and I'd expect a lot of players would be willing to come to play for him.

Don't think that Jardim should get as much love as he does right now, and he certainly isn't a guaranteed attacking manager.

Simeone would be a great choice, but we all want attacking football, right?

J_XO

I'm looking forward to a DoF in place with a proper vision. That alongside with the right managerial appointment has me optimistic for the future.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Pochettino is number 1.

After him, any of Setien, Hasenhuttl and, to a lesser extent, Jardim.

Wenger would be great, but only as a caretaker.

I like Marco Rose, but he'd be too big of a risk. I preferred Roger Schmidt's Salzburg and he was underwhelming in the BL. I think he needs a Leverkusen type job first like Schmidt.

No thanks to Zidane, Howe, Conte, Allegri and Simeone.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't get why Howe is being touted as a potential replacement at United. He's done nothing to justify getting the United job. I'd be absolutely gutted if United go down that road. Surely they can't be that soft again.

red forever

Anybody wanting Simeone after Mourinho wants their head read. Another defense first
I think that's a very lazy generalisation of the way Simeone's team plays during his first few years Atleti were very defensive but over time (on a relatively small budget) Atleti have evolved more each season into to a side that have plenty of attacking ability.

As for saying Simeone is 'another defence first coach' I would argue that Mourinho's biggest problem was that the defence was an utter shambles, Simeone would have the defence much better organised. And as for saying defence first in a negative light, you don't see many sides with a bad defence win the league, Sir Alex's team's were always build upon a solid defence. Look at Guardiola he has spent most of the money at Man City on his defence, look at Liverpool they improved their defence and now they are title contenders.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Simone or conte are of the mourinho mould. Play defensive first football. Win 1-0 every game. Do not want.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
John Giles on the radio saying if we have to pay 50 million to buy Poch out of his contract, it would be worth it in the long run.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He should've won a trophy by now with Spurs but its only a matter of time.

As a club we need someone to build football side of the things so we can compete in the long run, both van Gaal and Mourinho won trophies and where has it lead us? We should try everything to get him signed, if it fails then go for Zidane.
Most clubs do not spend years building the football side of things. Look at Chelsea, Real & co, they replace their manager, give the new manager some money and a few signings, and expect them to perform.

Mourinho won many trophies, and we saw how that turned out. Does not mean Poch will not fit in at United or be successful here.
He won a couple more and had his usual 3rd season meltdown.

The poll should exclude Pochetino. He's basically everyone's top choice, and those who aren't voting for him aren't because they know he's unattainable.
Not at all, Zidane by some distance.

kiristao

The main reason I would go for Poch over Zidane/Jardin/Simeone is because he is performing in the English league. Getting someone who doesn't have any experience of playing in England might not be the best thing at the moment.

Bojan11

The main reason I would go for Poch over Zidane/Jardin/Simeone is because he is performing in the English league. Getting someone who doesn't have any experience of playing in England might not be the best thing at the moment.
Erm it always constantly works for Chelsea.

Two of our last three managers performed in the English league. It makes no difference as long as it’s a big European league obviously.

Sentient Meat

I certainly won't be unhappy if we get Pochettino, but I prefer Zidane because I think he'll draw better players and he's actually won at all levels of the game as both player and manager.

What happened the last time we hired a manager who got the most out of his players and budget wasn't good.

I'm aware the difference between the playing styles of Moyes and Pochettino are night and day... but at the end of the day... the results weren't much different.

Mourinho lost his job because he lost his team, not because he was a poor manager... a strong manager will be necessary to deal with the personalities we might keep or sign

Pochettino would be better for building a winning team from scratch given many years but I'm not sure he could do anything with prima donna star players who sabotage their manager.

Zidane might actually get the circus under control because of his reputation as both a player and a manager.

If our intention is to keep players like Martial and Pogba then I'd go with Zidane.

If our intention is to fire most of the difficult players and rebuild with youth players then I'd go with Pochettino.

I don't get why we are bothering with Ole but I suppose it's better than Giggs.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not really. Conte won the title and could barely speak English. Pep and Klopp never managed in England before.

RedNed77

We have Madrid in competition for pochh as well.
No manager builds a legacy at Madrid, even when they win 3 successive CL’s it ends up being more about the star player and the club rather than the manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No love for wenger as caretaker or DoF?

He knows the PL and plays the right way. Who knows what he could do with real funds

Someone

Something
That's not very accurate. If these four teams (you forgot Bayern Munich) replace their manager on average every 2.5 years (say), that means 16 vacancies over the next decade. Pochettino is only 46 years old. He has plenty of time and will be able to pick and choose at his leisure.
Disagree, timing is everything. Right now he's highly rated, a couple of years from now things could change, we've seen that happen to a lot of managers and players.

Someone

Something

He knows the PL and plays the right way. Who knows what he could do with real funds
Would love it to happen, but don't think he'd go for it. He's bigger than taking a caretaker role. A DOF on the other hand, that could be tempting for him.

Tiber

Football may have passed Jose by 3 or 4 years ago, but it passed Wenger a decade ago

Patrick08

No manager builds a legacy at Madrid, even when they win 3 successive CL’s it ends up being more about the star player and the club rather than the manager.
We also should not be expecting any next one to Fergie to build a legacy itself. Very few managers at madrid manage to get a sad reaction after the manager is gone.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Chelsea seems to keep getting things right with managers outside of the Prem.
St Pep and Klopp never managed in the Prem.
Moyes and Mourinho are both experienced in the Prem.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think that's a very lazy generalisation of the way Simeone's team plays during his first few years Atleti were very defensive but over time (on a relatively small budget) Atleti have evolved more each season into to a side that have plenty of attacking ability.

As for saying Simeone is 'another defence first coach' I would argue that Mourinho's biggest problem was that the defence was an utter shambles, Simeone would have the defence much better organised. And as for saying defence first in a negative light, you don't see many sides with a bad defence win the league, Sir Alex's team's were always build upon a solid defence. Look at Guardiola he has spent most of the money at Man City on his defence, look at Liverpool they improved their defence and now they are title contenders.
City and Liverpool both worked on the system first, attacking play first then defence last. The current cycle of style is goals wins games, not chess football.

Can’t see Simeone going anywhere but inter when he leaves

Inter Yer Nan

I'd be mildly disappointed if it's not one of the following :-

Pochettino -Pros? Been an excellent manager for a number of years, works with youth and creates a great moral around the club. Cons? Hasn't won anything.

Allegri - Pros? Excellent tactician, can handle big clubs and big players and he's Italian which often means quick success. Cons? Maybe the style of football won't be overly exciting.

Zidane - Pros? Can handle the superstars, can attract them, will start with the media on his side (massively important and IMO what broke Jose down) and doesn't over complicate things. Will get the best out of Pogba. Cons? Is he really a great manager or a lucky one?

I love Simeone but I don't think our fans would like him or his style and I think he's perfect for Atletico. I like Marcelino a lot at Valencia. They are having a poor season but he's a great coach and he's done really quick turnarounds at clubs before. Maybe not the marquee appointment but he'd improve the club and the moral.

House Mkhitaryan

1. Jardim
2. Pochettino
3. Zidane

I'm not as familiar with some of the lesser known guys, but if management can unearth the next progressive manager who will be on the leading-edge of the next evolution of football that would be ideal. Of course, my confidence in the club right now doing this could not be lower.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
People are seriously suggesting eddie howe, what a time to be alive
He’s a gnats dick away from being my first choice. Pochettino is probably the safer option but I’d love to see what Howe could do with some money to spend.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff

I did tell an arse supporting mate of mine that it'd be a right old laugh if Arsene came into United, fluked the CL and retired. My mate wasn't best pleased!

golden_blunder

Staff
Football may have passed Jose by 3 or 4 years ago, but it passed Wenger a decade ago
I don’t agree. I don’t think he was properly backed in his later years and with city etc spending big it just because too big a gap to bridge. He may want to prove people wrong, particularly with real money. He’d give Greenwood a chance and he knows how to play Sanchez

MrSingh2002

I don't get how Zidane and Allegri especially are scoring so low. The two best performers in Europe in the past few years.

AlexUTD

When it comes to winning, you have to be knowing the dirty tricks as well when it matters, pochh has always lacked that one final trick at the end in big games.
Wich dirty tricks does he has to know?

The man has spent like £29M (net spend) the last 3-4 years. What do you want from him? miracles? Pep spent more than anyone, of course it is easier to win a title with buying alot of good players. Poch havent had much money but kept Spurs up in the top.

He won a couple more and had his usual 3rd season meltdown.
Do we want a couple trophies and playing shit or do we want get back to dominating the PL and playing attacking football? i know what i want atleast. We need to find the right man for the job and that means promotes youth and plays attacking football. Poch ticks those boxes!

Sentient Meat

It would amusing for me to see Wenger as a caretaker manager because maybe as a Frenchman he could light a fire under Martial and Pogba, and clearly he could get the best out of Alexis. Also would be worth it just to see him go up against Arsenal. And nicking top 4 was his strong suit for years.

Director of football also isn't a bad idea... but I'd also be worried if he got us back on track that he'd talk his way into keeping him on longer as a manager

Born2Lose

Has to be Pochettino, but seems a long shot after he's just signed a 6 year contract.

Just want someone who'll play attacking football most of the time, promote youth and actually have some respect for the position.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Actually I think he'll be a great caretaker manager.

A few months ago there was some pundits on the telly discussing Wenger. They said that while his tactics were top notch, his major flaw was his inability to fully appreciate the physical side of the EPL. They argued that Wenger's success was built upon on Graham's work who left some very tough players behind. We're basically in that situation. We've got a strong core of hardworking players and all we need is someone to unleash the talent this side have. Wenger can do that + I am sure he'll love to stick it to Mourinho by succeeding were he failed miserably.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Do we want a couple trophies and playing shit or do we want get back to dominating the PL and playing attacking football? i know what i want atleast. We need to find the right man for the job and that means promotes youth and plays attacking football. Poch ticks those boxes!
The longer we wait until we win a title or CL the more likely we turn into Liverpool :eek:

Dominance like the 90s and 00s will not be repeated with the way City are run at the moment.

lex talionis

I get the love for Pocchetino, but we shouldn't forget that he's managed Spurs without any real pressure and of course he hasn't won a single trophy.

If we want trophies, it might be wise to bring in someone who's actually won trophies (such as three CL trophies), put out an attractive brand of football doing so and has unsurpassed credibility.

I'm not sure Pocchetino would want to leave an ideal situation with Spurs to take on this challenge, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.