[Poll] Who was your midfielder of the season?

Who was your midfielder of the season?

• Total voters

matt23

Carrick obviously more important to results but I think Herrera getting this would be reasonable enough. It's been said a lot but it was just nice to see us buy a decent CM. Carrick is our best midfielder, but it's been a while since we've been able to watch a competent box to box type. Added some key goals for us as well.

Fully Fledged

Carrick obviously more important to results but I think Herrera getting this would be reasonable enough. It's been said a lot but it was just nice to see us buy a decent CM. Carrick is our best midfielder, but it's been a while since we've been able to watch a competent box to box type. Added some key goals for us as well.
That is the whole point of playing football. Yes it's important to play the game well but playing well and not winning is a complete waste of time.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Went for Young, Carrick was injured most of the times, and Herrera had quite a bad patch of form when he couldnt get into the team. Young has been consistent all season imo, and has added something different to our game. If this poll was made in January, probably would have gone with Blind.

Robbie Boy

Herrera, for me. Had Carrick been fit all season and showed the form he did when he returned from injury, I reckon he would have been a unanimous pick.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Herrera is the most exciting but the difference between Carrick in the side and not is what clinched it for him.

Zoo

Carrick was our most important player along with De Gea.

Fully Fledged

I think the 72% win rate when he played means that Carrick deserves it but more importantly the 35% win rate when he doesn't play means that nobody else does deserve it. When Carrick played this season United played. When he didn't we didn't.

m1y2

Carrick 16(2) league games while Herrera started 19(7) there is not much difference in the two players games but Carrick is by far more influential. Man Utd have won 13 of the 18 league games he's played @ 72% win rate and 7 of the 20 he hasn't @ 35% win rate.

While I do like Ander there is no contest about who has been our best out field player this season if it wasn't for Carrick's influence we would have struggled to finish in the top half of the table this season.

The way the Herrera fan boys belittle Carrick's involvement this season in order to say that Ander was our best outfield player is laughable.
:-D but let's agree to disagree and btw where would we finish without Herrera who was the main and the only engine in midfield, try to guess .-)

finneh

In terms of performance per game I'd say it's clearly Carrick, followed by Herrera. In terms of overall contribution I'd say Mata.

Fully Fledged

:-D but let's agree to disagree and btw where would we finish without Herrera who was the main and the only engine in midfield, try to guess .-)
As I have said I like Herrera he's just not influential enough to make the team tick without Carrick. If it was the Oscars I would give him best supporting actor, he's good but not up to carrying the production.

buckooo1978

overall Herrera for me

had Carrick played more often he would have probably deserved it though

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
without Herrera we're zombies, without Carrick we get twitching arses.
i'd rather have a twitching ass than a collection of zombies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Most important midfielder: Carrick
Most impressive performances in midfield: Herrera
Best player, over the season, in that list: Young

I went for the last one because he seemed the most deserving. He's not really a midfielder, though.
Exactly.

LilRicky

WTF! Blind with only 9 votes? :eek::wenger:

He was more consistent than any of our other midfielders, barely put a foot wrong for me throughout the season. Carrick didn't play enough matches although when he did he had more of an impact than any other. Herrera had an awful start to the season and it wasn't until the 2nd part of the season that he really found his role in the team.

Kag

WTF! Blind with only 9 votes? :eek::wenger:

He was more consistent than any of our other midfielders, barely put a foot wrong for me throughout the season. Carrick didn't play enough matches although when he did he had more of an impact than any other. Herrera had an awful start to the season and it wasn't until the 2nd part of the season that he really found his role in the team.
Agree regarding Blind. His last few games has really dampened the mood surrounding him. He's been a very consistent player for us.

You're wrong regarding Herrera. Awful at the start of the season? He impressed against QPR, West Ham and Everton in particular, broke his rib, had a poor 45 against West Brom in which he was replaced by a rejuvenated Fellaini. After that he was seldom seen again until after Christmas, even in games we were crying out for what he offers the side.

LilRicky

Agree regarding Blind. His last few games has really dampened the mood surrounding him. He's been a very consistent player for us.

You're wrong regarding Herrera. Awful at the start of the season? He impressed against QPR, West Ham and Everton in particular, broke his rib, had a poor 45 against West Brom in which he was replaced by a rejuvenated Fellaini. After that he was seldom seen again until after Christmas, even in games we were crying out for what he offers the side.

I don't think I am, LVG dropped him after the 2-2 draw with West Brom as you mention, he wasn't seen again for 8 weeks in the starting XI. As fans we we're probably happy with his contribution in the games you mentioned, he done well I agree but it wasn't the role LVG wanted him to play in the midfield set up. I suppose by awful I mean LVG dropping him and he didn't fulfil the role that was requested of him.

I'm very surprised by the lack of votes for Blind though.

Kag

I chose Herrera, anyway. He impressed game after game. Carrick has bugged me this season. My view flies in the face of all that should make sense, because everything seems to point to the fact that he makes the team tick.

My issue is that, individually, I don't think he impressed much at all. Certainly nowhere near as good as his final season under Ferguson, in which he was visibly, actively influencing game after game. Plus, there's his fitness, which has been as disappointing as any other player in the first team.

Even though I'm aware that it sounds irrational given all the evidence, I can't shake the feeling that our win with/without him record is still something of a coincidence.

ghagua

Chose Young because i felt that he performed well in whatever position he was asked to play. Huge difference this season was that he was constantly on the attack or trying to make things happen. In previous seasons, he was constantly looking to pass back to the left back. Herrera was a close 2nd, would have been higher if he was not in LvG's doghouse for the first half of the season.

Jev

Young
Herrera
Carrick

People are blinded a bit by the 'no Carrick win ratio'. Just because he's important doesn't mean he's been outstanding. Which he hasn't.

Kag

I don't think I am, LVG dropped him after the 2-2 draw with West Brom as you mention, he wasn't seen again for 8 weeks in the starting XI. As fans we we're probably happy with his contribution in the games you mentioned, he done well I agree but it wasn't the role LVG wanted him to play in the midfield set up. I suppose by awful I mean LVG dropping him and he didn't fulfil the role that was requested of him.

I'm very surprised by the lack of votes for Blind though.
When you put it like that it's a fair appraisal. He clearly wasn't playing the way Van Gaal wanted him to, as both have said as much since. I think "awful" was probably the wrong word to use, though.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It was a hard decision between Carrick, Young and Herrera but I went with Carrick since I think he was a more crucial player last season.

LilRicky

When you put it like that it's a fair appraisal. He clearly wasn't playing the way Van Gaal wanted him to, as both have said as much since. I think "awful" was probably the wrong word to use, though.

Yeah probably, my bad.

Suppose it's best to say an uncertain start. I know other United fans feared the worst in the run up to Christmas, wondering why LVG wasn't playing him and dreading another Veron or Anderson :lol:

Thankfully that hasn't been the case!

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Carrick for me, if you can't appreciate what he does to the team, i don't think you understand football.

Herrera is a close second, i'm just glad we have a very good box-to-box player.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I would say that Mata and Blind have been most consistent throughout the the whole season, but Herrera was the best performer whenever played so he gets my vote. I am maybe too harsh on Young, he deserves at least a mention too. Carrick is obviously still our most important one, but he didn't play much.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

I can't really pick one, I loved Herrera but Young worked very hard and so often was our only threat. Also, despite only playing half the games, Carrick was our most importnt player in those games. Finally, when LVG was using him in his best position, Fellaini was our most important player for several huge games. 4 good performers imo. I think Mata underwhelmed a little bit again I'm hoping next season LVG works out how to get the absolute best out of him

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Voted Carrick. Our best results came when he was playing. Amazing how much we still rely on him. Herrera ran him a close 2nd for me.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I voted for Herrera but Young is criminally low on votes!

Boycott

I'm surprised how Herrera is leading by such an extent.

Carrick's injuries have curtailed his season but when he did play he was our most important player. If the reason for Carrick not being 1st is he didn't play enough surely that can be argued for Herrera who only got a regular spot from February onwards.

Kazi

Fellaini probably won us the most points tbh. Think I read somewhere that all of his goals bar one gave us the lead in games.

jeff_goldblum

In terms of quality Carrick was our best and in terms of importance to our season Fellaini has to take it. Herrera's been good but his dominance in this vote is more due to his likability and play-style than what he's contributed this season.

Jammydodger7

What a stupid result. Carrick, Young and Fellaini have all been better than Herrera. I love Herrera and he's had a very good first season but he hasn't been better than the other 3. Seems people are just voting on who the like more rather than who has actually been a better player