Portuguese Football 2016/2017

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Porto drops 2 points in Lisbon vs Belenenses. 0-0

Impressive performance by Man Utd's Joel Pereira tonight.

Tough times for Porto. Benfica's equalizer in the last minute, out of the cup to Chaves and now a draw in the league.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Title on! Benfica with a frustrating loss in Madeira against Maritimo and a Sporting home win will leave us 2 points off with a derby next week.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sporting comfortably beat Setubal 2-0 at home and Porto beat Braga 1-0 in the last minute with Rui Pedro, an 18 year old on his league debut, scoring the winner. Marafona with one of the greatest goalkeeping performances I've seen in Portugal, but in the end it just wasn't enough.

@fontaine's favourite player Bruno César scored a beauty for us

Porto's winner. You can tell how much it means to them.

League table:

Benfica - 29
Sporting - 27
Porto - 25
Braga - 23

Next week:

Feirense - Porto
Benfica - Sporting
Braga - Paços de Ferreira

izec

I had a bet on Porto at half time, saw they were dominant and plus a man more, thought this would be easy. Tuned in in the second half, i was sweating like a pig and that fecking keeper saved everything. Thank god for Rui Pedro, class goal.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Porto aren't guaranteed to win anywhere at this moment. I'd be careful betting on them since they're pretty inconsistent right now.

Phil

Didn't expect Benfica to drop points this week, Sporting to go top next week.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
That would be nice, but we usually don't play well after european games.

Also, this is probably not the right place for it, but the Chapecoense chants in our and Porto's match were beautiful.

The clip is short, but this lasted about half an hour. Lovely stuff

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Our 2 best players: Adrien and Gelson caught the flu and are in doubt for tomorrow's derby. We're fecked if they don't play.

NYAS

Our 2 best players: Adrien and Gelson caught the flu and are in doubt for tomorrow's derby. We're fecked if they don't play.
Really? Feck. I was looking forward so much to tomorrow's game. Sporting finally got close and tomorrow's a golden opportunity.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Really? Feck. I was looking forward so much to tomorrow's game. Sporting finally got close and tomorrow's a golden opportunity.
Jorge Jesus is known for these little mind games so I'm hoping it's just that

NYAS

Ref stops the game on a Benfica counter-attack because the ball hit a piece of paper even though Guedes controlled the ball and had tons of space ahead of him.

Ironically, the paper was thrown at Jorge Jesus (current manager of Sporting and ex-Benfica manager) by the Benfica fans :lol:

NYAS

1-0 Benfica, feck me that outside of the foot cross by Rafa Silva :eek:

Keegs

What a pass by Rafa Silva great finish by Salvio.Should have been brought back for the handball though.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
This sums up the last year and a half of portuguese football. More shots, more possession, more corners, same ammount of chances, 2 uncalled penalties, one ball on the post... Benfica 2-0 Sporting. How?

NYAS

2-0 Benfica..

I feel that Sporting have slightly too many average players. Ruben Semedo, Patricio, Gelson, William and Adrien are fine. But I just don't see the quality with the likes of Campbell, Coates, Cesar, Bryan Ruiz.

They need more penetration from wide like Gelson is giving them. Especially when you have a big target man like Dost. I mean, what's Carlos Mane really learning in the second division of German football? I would rather bring him off the bench than Joel Campbell.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
2-0 Benfica..

I feel that Sporting have slightly too many average players. Ruben Semedo, Patricio, Gelson, William and Adrien are fine. But I just don't see the quality with the likes of Campbell, Coates, Cesar, Bryan Ruiz.

They need more penetration from wide like Gelson is giving them. Especially when you have a big target man like Dost. I mean, what's Carlos Mane really learning in the second division of German football? I would rather bring him off the bench than Joel Campbell.
Coates is very good too. But I completely agree with the rest of your post

NYAS

You're chasing the game at 2-1 to try to get the equalizer at your biggest rivals and you're two points behind them. You're absolutely dominating the game and enjoying most of the possession. Your 6"5 striker scores a header to half the deficit. Why do you then take him off for a short back-up that will be absolutely destroyed by Luisao physically?

The bizarre mind of Jorge Jesus.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The best team lost. Good performance by Sporting. Awful by Benfica. Beyond awful by the referee. 5 points ahead of Sporting and on their way to their fourth title in a row. How? Nobody knows.

A word to Jesus on that Bas Dost substitution... Just, why?

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
This topic is a total misrepresentation of Portuguese football. An embarassment

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Since when writing the truth is an embarassment?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Leixões, Chaves, Estoril, Académica, Covilhã, Sporting, Benfica and most likely Vitória in the cup quarters. What a great set of teams with great fans, all of them good enough for Jamor. Chaves, Vitória and Académica have had their share of recent trips to Jamor, so It would be great if they just let one of the other ones through. I would love a Leixões-Sporting final.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Last minute winner and I still feel like shit. Hopefully this gets us on a good run and we buy some players in January, otherwise things aren't looking good.

Aboutreika18

Last minute winner and I still feel like shit. Hopefully this gets us on a good run and we buy some players in January, otherwise things aren't looking good.
You guys bought quite a few in the summer, although I haven't seen many of them play this season.

Only really Dost has been a regular, although Campbell's started to be picked more regularly recently.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You guys bought quite a few in the summer, although I haven't seen many of them play this season.

Only really Dost has been a regular, although Campbell's started to be picked more regularly recently.
That's because the others have been shit. Douglas is starting to get some game time too and he's been doing well.