PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
The best perspective on all this is if you have kids that are watching with you. It’s hard to translate the justification for supporting this team, as they don’t get the tradition, history, etc. Even harder after watching another Man City exhibition right before.

pre Munich Red

Beginning of the end for Mourinho and many of that squad isn’t it?
How much will it cost to say cheerio to Mourinho?

Jig1234

You just have to make peace with it. This is our current level. These games you have to win to challenge for the league. We all pretty much agreed we had no chance of winning the PL when we started so I'm not sure why the outrage. We will lose more games like this during the course of the season.
It's just the manner of the defeats. The lack of resolve. I accepted a while ago we are not fit to challenge for a title but the very least we should expect is decent watchable football. Especially, in year three. The football has not progressed at all. Mourinho has been tactically left behind. You Look at LFC, City how well they press and win the ball back. Utd sit deep and contain, give respect to the opposition, as if were playing Barcelona or Real Madrid. We should not be bricking it, away to Brighton. Just not good enough. I refuse to believe this squad is not capable of better football.

AndyJ1985

Remember when we all used to like watching football?
Aye, the world cup is still fresh in my memory.

Of course if you're talking in the context of United, then we have to go back quite a few years. It's unbelievable just how long we've been a terribly dull team to watch.

ravi2

I think I've just inched into the 'maybe Jose isn't for us' camp - I utterly love him, but the facts are undeniable :(
I am right there with you Paz, I dont think even 4th place is guaranteed.
Our football is terrible and this squad is capable of much much better than this

Canagel

It's just the manner of the defeats. The lack of resolve. I accepted a while ago we are not fit to challenge for a title but the very least we should expect is decent watchable football. Especially, in year three. The football has not progressed at all. Mourinho has been tactically left behind. You Look at LFC, City how well they press and win the ball back. Utd sit deep and contain, give respect to the opposition, as if were playing Barcelona or Real Madrid. We should not be bricking it, away to Brighton. Just not good enough. I refuse to believe this squad is not capable of better football.
I agree with you. But we shouldn't have expected any different after the Sevilla debacle last season. This is as far as we can go under Mourinho.

JoaquinJoaquin

we're a mess.

all the headlines will be about United and Jose but Hughton is a fantastic manager and deserves a lot of credit for the job he's doing.
O come on. We should be twatting Brighton no matter who the manager is.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Aye, the world cup is still fresh in my memory.

Of course if you're talking in the context of United, then we have to go back quite a few years. It's unbelievable just how long we've been a terribly dull team to watch.
It now feels like it an obligation to watch them rather than a pleasure.

JoaquinJoaquin

The players were a disgrace today but I think at this point Jose has to be moved on. This can't continue. The tactics alone are just completely unacceptable and its not like this is something new. It's been the story of his reign here.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s just the same old toothless stuff we’ve all grown tired of watching, nothings changed and nothing will change while Jose is still here, especially when the board don’t back him like the summer just gone.

DomesticTadpole

The players were a disgrace today but I think at this point Jose has to be moved on. This can't continue. The tactics alone are just completely unacceptable and its not like this is something new. It's been the story of his reign here.
We should be going into games with the aim to win. It might not always work, but we should be going down fighting, not in a cowardly way. Nobody fears us.

Backrow Singer

I think it’s the execution of any ‘tactics’ that is an issue as much as anything. We got into decent areas second half but we just have too many players who aren’t good enough to make anything from it.

IrishRedDevil

I’ll fight for United to the death but the ammunition that others have has me on the ropes. Sunday night beer I reckon.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our players too often play without passion. It is not the first time. They deserve to be criticized. But noo, when coach does that, people write poor x or poor y player. Players are like holly cows today. And because of that you got this; they lost a game because they didn't care. Bunch of overpayed pricks

DomesticTadpole

Shite shite shite from top to bottom. This club in its current state is a disgrace to itself.
Yep. It isn't just the manager. It's the whole club from the very top. They have forgotten that we are a football club and that the team being successful is what should be driving the club. They have forgotten the clubs legacy of entertaining it's fans and not just seeing them as something they can get more and more money from.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
The really depressing thing is that we all know that this is not going to get much better. Nothing lifts spirits like a decent win and we will have more than a few. We have too many good players for that not to happen. However, those wins will only paper over the cracks and both Liverpool and City, particularly the latter, will continue to be a million miles ahead of us and will entertain along the way. We will not become what we want to be under this manager I’m afraid and as painful as it maybe, we’ll have to start from scratch again. In a lifetime as a football fan, you can count yourself very lucky if your team have 10 years at the top. We have no divine right to be habitually winning the league (as we are finding out), but with what we’ve spent, we should at least be able to make a half decent challenge, which sadly, we are not. Time to start again.

steffyr2

Or we could get a manager who prefers playing quick one touch passes and coaches accordingly, it will be a whole lot cheaper too
How long does it take to train your team of players who suck at one touch passing to become expert at it? We had the LVG years where they should have been practicing, didn't make them any better.
How about if you want Pep and Pep's players, you go out and buy them?

Godfather

Apart from the fact that Jose might not be the right manager for us the depressing part is the amount of money that will be needed to get this squad back to the top.
Players like Young, Jones, Lindelof, Lingard or Mata shouldn't start for us. Then we have the likes of Martial who can't be arsed and players like Rashford who simply aren't ready yet. This club is a mess and imo it started with Fergie's lack of investment in his last years and obviously hiring the wrong man after him.

redIndianDevil

How long does it take to train your team of players who suck at one touch passing to become expert at it? We had the LVG years where they should have been practicing, didn't make them any better.
How about if you want Pep and Pep's players, you go out and buy them?
How did you arrive at the conclusion that our players are shit at one touch passing? Our players had no problem playing quick one touch football at their previous clubs

ForeverUnited93

I’m sure I’m not the only one when I say I can’t stand watching us play? Even to the extent I ask myself will I watch them this week? It’s just dull, boring and frustrating, we hardly have any shots, the opposition always look to get on the attack while we can’t even string 3 passes together.

Regalia

Some of our players are so insanely bad. Can't string 2 passes together. The whole backline has needed renewing since SAF left and here we are with the likes of Ashley Young as our starting FB and Lingard as our hope to salvage the game.

AndyJ1985

I’m sure I’m not the only one when I say I can’t stand watching us play? Even to the extent I ask myself will I watch them this week? It’s just dull, boring and frustrating, we hardly have any shots, the opposition always look to get on the attack while we can’t even string 3 passes together.
I expect most people feel the same way. There's literally no enjoyment to be had from watching United these days.

steffyr2

How did you arrive at the conclusion that our players are shit at one touch passing? Our players had no problem playing quick one touch football at their previous clubs
1. watching them
2. your post #331 in this thread

Backrow Singer

Some of our players are so insanely bad. Can't string 2 passes together. The whole backline has needed renewing since SAF left and here we are with the likes of Ashley Young as our starting FB and Lingard as our hope to salvage the game.
This is the key point for me. Also when we do get into decent areas, Young, Rashford, Martial, Valencia, Lingard etc aren’t good enough with regards to their decision making. Makes us so boring and frustrating to watch because inevitably, we end up going backwards and sideways to create another chance for the same thing to happen again.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Back to work tomorrow after 2 week holiday. Would be depressed anyway without United adding to it. I keep thinking about that miss by Lukaku early on, if he’d scored United would probably have won easily. Then I remember our back 4 and the fact that there are 36 games left. How can we endure 10 more months of this crap?

Patrick220571

Absolutely terrible. That second half showing (or lack of it) was nothing short of disgusting from highly paid players, some of whom were tearing up the World Cup a few weeks ago.

The only reason i'm not calling for Mourinho's head is because I have absolutely no faith in Woodward picking anyone who's any better to replace him. On football matters, the man is clueless.

The sooner we have a Director of Football in place and up to speed, the better.

Red1968

I became a United fan in the mid 90s. I'm not from Manchester, not even from England but I fell in love with that cast of characters and Fergy. Supported them ever since. But right now I am so indifferent to this team. For years now they have been so boring, so sloppy, so utterly disinterested in playing for the shirt. They should be killing teams like Brighton instead they act scared and cautious like they are playing Real?? Today was piss poor, bad defending, poor finishing, sloppy uninventive football and a lack of urgency when down. These players don't even seem slightly likeable either. |I never thought that Jose would be this bad for the club but he has really lost his mojo. Ownership has to start to consider when they are going to pull the plug on this failed experiment.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
People calling for the manager's head, fair enough. I get it...

However, this shit has been happening since 2013, under three different managers. There is something rotten at the club and it's not all down to the managers

togg

I think we may have to get used to the idea that Mourinho is not going anywhere, regardless of how we play, until it is mathematically impossible to get top four. That is when the business side comes into serious jeopardy and that is what football is about now. It will apparently cost around £12 million to sack Mourinho, the board won't do that easily until the situation is costing them more than the sacking!

L1nk

People calling for the manager's head, fair enough. I get it...

However, this shit has been happening since 2013, under three different managers. There is something rotten at the club and it's not all down to the managers
Is it though? Its up to the manager and the players to produce on the pitch, he's been backed to the hilt with what, over 300 to 400 million worth of players or whatever and what do we get, tumescent shit. I don't care what anyone said about this squad, we have vastly the better player personal than bloody Brighton, we should, at LEAST be giving them a game, minimum, not being played off the damn park.

The massive issue is the managers we have hired, Moyes was a bang average manager that played boring football, everybody knew this, LVG played boring crap possession football and now we got another manager with crap boring football, it's soul destroying to watch how crap it is and I genuinely can't blame the players for not wanting to play it, they can't be enjoying it at all. There's genuinely a lack of anything resembling a well coached unit on that field, what the hell are they doing in training. Everyone's banging on about how everyone is all smiles and creaming themselves because Mourinho said some hypocritical crap in the media, but seem to forget about this shit we've been suffering and has not changed from last season, it's like last season never ended.

Get a young exciting attacking manager in, at least the football will be damn entertaining I say.

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd