PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsch

No penalty for me. Stuck his foot in there on purpose.
You could just as well say the defender left his leg out. It was marginally a penalty for me, but you're never going to get that in the last ten seconds away at Chelsea.

ForlansHair

We weren't tactically outdone. It was a game of very tight margins with few chances either end. Our possession and shape looked very solid again and that looks promising for next season.

Falcao played okay but when it mattered he couldn't hit the target and that's what he should be judged on. He failed again unfortunately. We can't afford to have those type of chances wasted if we're looking to win the league next year.
Agree with this. The issue wasn't the way we set up, we just didn't have the quality when it mattered (as you said). We had some decent chances (Rooney (x2), Falcao (x2)) far more than the 2 Chelsea created (which consisted of a mistake by the referee and a dreadful pass from Herrera). We're never going to create say 5 clear cut chances against a team coached by Mourinho.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
WR interview. 'to come to Stamford Bridge and dominate the game ... I'm really proud of the team'

pacifictheme

Cowards parked the bus in their own home. We just couldn't break that bus. I can't think of any other top european team that does this at home with that kind of financial power. We were the better team, they were more clinical. So at the end of the day they deserved to win because its ultimately the goal that counts.
In 2008 we beat Barcelona at old trafford the same way. Defending or own area.

Revan

Assumptionman
Utd rarely played like that. This Chelsea team is tumescent to watch. Football is about more than just results which is why you won't have seen much joy on here when we beat Newcastle 1-0. If the result is all that matters why bother watching games?
Well, the last time we won UCL, on semi final we played exactly like this. On 2009 on many matches we played like this. Against Barca on 2009 we tried (and failed to play lik this). Interestingly, against Mourinho's Madrid we played like this (especially on the first half).

There is nothing wrong with defensive football.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just get shut of Falcoa, Di Maria and loan out Januzaj. These lads are simply not good enough and haven't been all season.

That said some of the players that have played well this season didn't turn up today.

Poor subs but overall a decent performance but you can't help but think Jose planned it that way.
Go home you're drunk.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Utd rarely played like that. This Chelsea team is tumescent to watch. Football is about more than just results which is why you won't have seen much joy on here when we beat Newcastle 1-0. If the result is all that matters why bother watching games?
It shows how rare we played like that since he had to bring up a result from 7 years ago.

Dominos

It's funny because if this had finished 0-0 everyone on here would have claimed that's what Mourinho played for and he had no intention of winning the game.

It's fine if a team wants to set up defensively against us, we should be keeping a clean sheet easily when they're offering so little attacking threat. Our own fault for getting caught out like that when we know that's what they're waiting for, and being unable to create a clear chance in 90 minutes. Having said that Mike Dean is a twat, Chelsea would get the free kick every time for the challenge on Falcao.

Oddboy

30% possession at home. League Champion style. If we had Carrick fit and Rooney up top I can't help but feel we could have got a result out of that. Falcao was absolutely woeful. Lots of positives for us to take away from it however, played some nice stuff at times. Strangely enough the result doesn't have a huge impact on us I don't think, especially considering our performance, and I don't think it'll dent confidence too much. Fairly predictable day at Stamford Bridge Bus Depot overall.

mu77

good match. we had more of the ball than i thought we would have.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Without wanting to illicit rage in here, many of you are acting as though this was the absolute strongest Chelsea side possible and you guys played us off the park and should've won by 5 goals.

We had a near 40 year old striker up top and a CB in midfield. Our own injuries forced us into these tactics and we played to Mourinho's instructions flawlessly.

You guys should be delighted with a few things in that match. Shaw and Herrera in particular. Both were brilliant.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Rob what your feelings on how Mou plays in general.I think it's completely fine for Mou to play this way, this season(It win at any cost this season for many reasons).

But would you be happy in the long term?
If Jose continued trolling our rivals and winning trophies all of us would be ecstatic to let him do that forever.

As would you guys and the only reason you feel the need to disagree is because you arent in that position.

acnumber9

Well, the last time we won UCL, on semi final we played exactly like this. On 2009 on many matches we played like this. Against Barca on 2009 we tried (and failed to play lik this). Interestingly, against Mourinho's Madrid we played like this (especially on the first half).

There is nothing wrong with defensive football.
I wouldn't want to see Utd playing like that. We watch football for the entertainment.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Agree with this. The issue wasn't the way we set up, we just didn't have the quality when it mattered (as you said). We had some decent chances (Rooney (x2), Falcao (x2)) far more than the 2 Chelsea created (which consisted of a mistake by the referee and a dreadful pass from Herrera). We're never going to create say 5 clear cut chances against a team coached by Mourinho.
pretty much agree.

They were always going to be hard to beat...we needed to have taken our chances.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
1-0 Chelsea, did anyone really expect anything else?

Blackett.. everytime i see this fella i dont understand why he's anywhere near our first team

Crashoutcassius

I'm sure they'll be really embarrassed when they're lifting the Premier League trophy in a few weeks.

If Chelsea tried to take us on at football today, with the form they've been in, they would have given themselves a greater chance of losing.
I didn't say the chelsea fans will be embarrassed in a few weeks. I just think it is embarrassing for a club to play like that.

Some clubs wouldn't stand for it. Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, man united. Managers would get sacked or wouldn't get the job in the first place for playing that way.

SalfordRed1960

United played well. Chelsea played better. They set up to defend and punish mistakes and that's what they did. Drogba and Fabregas were great at limiting the passing to our midfielders. Zouma was put on to stop Fellaini and he did that. Azpilicueta was told to make marking Mata a priority of keeping himself in position and he did that excellently. United didn't make the most of Mata cutting in and Azpilicueta following. Could see Mata frantically pointing at the space but rarely the Valencia run came and neither did the pass into space.

For me, every United player played okay. Shaw stood out a bit. At times it was like him and McNair were the least afraid of bringing the ball up in the second half. After the substitutions things got a bit better but as soon as Shaw came off for Blackett that stopped. Di Maria looked sharp, Falcao was playing well and Ivanovic looked like the weak link for a while. Too bad Shaw couldn't play longer.

Rooney should have scored early before Chelsea had the time to settle. Him missing that shot put them into gear and they performed Mourinho's task as well as asked and could have scored more than 1. United also could have leveled. A close game. Disappointing to lose but I really expected too with the way the game was set up.
This.

Do not understand one negative comment about the players today. They did well but met a very organized team.

Sure Adnan and Blackett did not make much impression, but they didn't weaken the side when they came on.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Chelsea played as expected, park the bus and hope for Hazard to do something.
Good team performance from us and dominated possession.
Bit too cautious going forward and the players who played well against City, didn't play as well today, particularly Young who didn't risk anything and Mata and Fellaini were quiet.

Strangely the worry before the match of missing Carrick Blind and Jones/Rojo did not really affect the match
McNair and Shaw had good games and Shaw was the only one trying to get past Chelsea's back 4 until Di Maria came on but then Shaw went off probably due to lack of match fitness.
Herrera did well but gave a few dangerous balls away.

Pity di Maria wasn't on at the start combining with Shaw. Not saying Young didn't deserve to be in the team after last week's performance but he was nowhere near that level today

Very optimistic to blow Chelsea away next season

mu4c_20le

1-0 Chelsea, did anyone really expect anything else?
Ask me a month ago, i would have expected a drubbing. LVG did well to turn us around and we did control the game, at least the second half. It's our own fault for failing to turn possession into goals.

We did the same to Barca back in 08... nicked the game with a wondergoal and backs to the wall defending. I'd do it again if we could.

Crashoutcassius

You think the Chelsea fans feel 'embarrassed'?

I doubt it.
I'd say they didn't go home feeling like it was 60 pounds well spent, and that feeling expands over years. Mourinho said he came back to chelsea with the instruction to try play better football than his first stint. He failed today dramatically.

Will Singh

Briliant effort from the lads, the downside was we looked like we ran out of ideas and Rooney should never play in midfeild as his first touch is useless!

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
There absolutely is.
Correct me if i'm wrong but were they not at the time reigning champions of europe? and a CL fixture where away goals count double,
if you're going to trot out the sit in front of your goalkeeper and win 1-0 a better comparission would surely be the David Moyes 1-0 Arsenal game at OT last year.
Chelsea are shit to watch though it must be said.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Its interesting what John Terry said.
Basically he said that Rooney in midfield was exactly what they wanted and he was happy to see that Rooney was not playing as striker.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This.

Do not understand one negative comment about the players today. They did well but met a very organized team.

Sure Adnan and Blackett did not make much impression, but they didn't weaken the side when they came on.
Chelsea not trying to lose a game at home with their entire squad fit bar a striker and a world class mistake punisher in Hazard is a tough match to win. Not to mention that Chelsea is the only PL team that has won United more often than losing against them in the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 587 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results