PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 55725

We weren't tactically outdone. It was a game of very tight margins with few chances either end. Our possession and shape looked very solid again and that looks promising for next season.

Falcao played okay but when it mattered he couldn't hit the target and that's what he should be judged on. He failed again unfortunately. We can't afford to have those type of chances wasted if we're looking to win the league next year.

Loon

:lol:
Played better than I expected and easily deserved a point away from home. Sometimes it just doesn't happen...

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We were alright, but still need to be a bit more agressive and inventive with our possession.

Btw I never wanted Mourinho and am so glad Sir Bobby was against his appointment (although his reason was different than mine). Mourinho is such a coward, a couple of big knock out ties OK you can be ultra defensive, but in the league as almost champions elect at home against a team which has Fellaini and Rooney in midfield? Coward and small time would be an understatement tbh for that kind of attitude. I can't think of any other even half big team which does this.
So so glad they have been found out in Europe twice in a row now playing like this.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Controlled the game and were the better team in the first half, not so much in the second when it became more chaotic and they could sit back and hit us on any breaks. The best team won in the end.

Blackett was off, needs some time out on loan next season so he can get his head in the game.
McNair & Shaw did well.

Good setup from both managers, we played some nice football and could easily have been ahead after only a few minutes, and Chelsea was set to stop our play and let their creative trio up top create - which they did quite well a few times.

Can't help but feel like us a key-position like a DM (Carrick/Blind) before the game & therefor had to play Falcao up top was the reason we lacked the edge and quality to push the result in our favor; not taken into consideration that they of course were missing one of, if not the best striker in the league. The downgrade for us just seemed to go through the spine with no real DM & a bad striker up top (who wasn't extremely awful, just weak), and I'm betting it affected us more than they having to play with a different striker, but with the same spine.

Good game, bad result. But it was Chelsea at the bridge; we can't expect to go there and win every year. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
It wasn't a bad performance. I don't see how much joy can be taken from being a fan of that Chelsea team. You might as well just check the results in the paper for all the joy that can be garnered from watching that.
How much joy did you had when we defeated Barca on 2008? Was it any different from today's match?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Strangely enough I kinda enjoyed that despite us losing. We played well for most of the match, but we really should've made the most of the opening 20 minutes. Things could've been so much different had Rooney scored early on. Chelsea defended well after that though. The most annoying thing about the defeat is that it will be made out to be some sort of Mourinho tactical masterclass by some.

kps88

What do people think we could have done better really? They're defensive shape and organisation really was superb. We gave it all we had and barely managed a shot on target. I don't think any of our injured players would have made a difference either.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I am ok with that, a loss at Stamford Bridge was always on the cards. We were the better team today and showed another good and dominating performance. We are playing week for week good football now, with that form we will win most of the upcoming games, no doubt about that.

Happy with Shaw, hope he stays fit now and I hope we will see at least one of Blind or Carrick in the next game.

nick2004

Are you fecking serious? United are 200m in transfers behind this Chelsea team? Did you even watch the game? Bloody hell that's vomit inducing crap.
It was an easy win for Chelsea.

We lost the tactical game from the let go.

Our fans get so excited because of the possession. However, possession means nothing for Mourinho.

stevoc

Both encouraging and disappointing. 71% possession with a shocking 9 shots off target. As for Falcao, cant make my mind up. He looks like he might explode into life, but his time is running out. He was responsible for giving away the goal when he lost possession. We are definitely going in the right direction, a few signings in the summer and we will be challenging for the title next season.
Thats an interesting way of describing being fouled.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Just get shut of Falcoa, Di Maria and loan out Januzaj. These lads are simply not good enough and haven't been all season.

That said some of the players that have played well this season didn't turn up today.

Poor subs but overall a decent performance but you can't help but think Jose planned it that way.

SalfordRed1960

I'm really happy we didn't get Mourinho.
Me too. There is winning and there is winning. He is obviously a great coach, but I would not want to go to OT have see us park the bus. With the lead they have they could quite easily have just gone for it, he didn't.

We did well today, just wish Rooney had his shooting boots on.

.Phil1968

We did better than I expected and deserved at least a point Thought Shaw shows what he is capable of and hopefully next season he'll put all these injuries behind him.As for Chelsea dear me so glad we didn't get Mourinho.

Bebe

Quite happy with that performance honestly. We're only going to get more comfortable with LVG's system next season and if this is the best Chelsea can do, we'll beat them next year. Probably would have beaten them today if Carrick was in the side.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What do people think we could have done better really? They're defensive shape and organisation really was superb. We gave it all we had and barely managed a shot on target. I don't think any of our injured players would have made a difference either.
We should have been better with our final ball, Rooney possibly could be expected to score one of the two chances he had, as could Falcao... but yeah, we did pretty well all things considered.

Oh and our substitutions were poor again.

beergod

United played well. Chelsea played better. They set up to defend and punish mistakes and that's what they did. Drogba and Fabregas were great at limiting the passing to our midfielders. Zouma was put on to stop Fellaini and he did that. Azpilicueta was told to make marking Mata a priority of keeping himself in position and he did that excellently. United didn't make the most of Mata cutting in and Azpilicueta following. Could see Mata frantically pointing at the space but rarely the Valencia run came and neither did the pass into space.

For me, every United player played okay. Shaw stood out a bit. At times it was like him and McNair were the least afraid of bringing the ball up in the second half. After the substitutions things got a bit better but as soon as Shaw came off for Blackett that stopped. Di Maria looked sharp, Falcao was playing well and Ivanovic looked like the weak link for a while. Too bad Shaw couldn't play longer.

Rooney should have scored early before Chelsea had the time to settle. Him missing that shot put them into gear and they performed Mourinho's task as well as asked and could have scored more than 1. United also could have leveled. A close game. Disappointing to lose but I really expected too with the way the game was set up.
Good summary.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I hope Arsenal will somehow win the title. The style of Football Chelsea Plays should not be rewarded.

Shaw has been really good. Falcao not too bad either. AdM tried to do something but failed. Mata should have staid on the pitch instead of Januzaj.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are you fecking serious? United are 200m in transfers behind this Chelsea team? Did you even watch the game? Bloody hell that's vomit inducing crap.
It's begun. One game lost by one goal where we played well and suddenly all our players are shit and Chelsea are the best team in the universe.

acnumber9

How much joy did you had when we defeated Barca on 2008? Was it any different from today's match?
Utd rarely played like that. This Chelsea team is tumescent to watch. Football is about more than just results which is why you won't have seen much joy on here when we beat Newcastle 1-0. If the result is all that matters why bother watching games?

reelworld

I thought we did well. We didn't miss Carrick on the defensive end (although if he played he may have better positioned to prevent it), overall we were decent defensively. What we miss is that quick passes to the front three that Carrick excel at. One of the reason that our passes in the final third was poor is because they have time to set up shop before Mata-Rooney-Fellaini got the ball.
That being said, even though their attacking play was atrocious, Chelsea defensive end was superb throughout. Ivanovic got the better of Fellaini and Terry and Cahill deal with Falcao comfortably

Deleted member 78215

Shaw great. Smalling and McNair good. Herrera a bit sloppy, but overall very good. Rooney solid, still don't like him as a midfielder, though. Fellaini's poorest game of our good run. Young was distinctly average. Mata pretty anonymous. Falcao... I dunno, just not worked out for him here. Januzaj and Blackett were pretty shocking, but you have to bear in mind that they've not played in months. Valencia, solid defensively, but his lack of attacking nous can be a real pain in the arse.

Drogba and Terry are dickheads of the highest order.

caid

The passing out of defence was a bit too slow, was a pretty common problem a month or two back and with the amount of changes with our back 5 shouldn't be a huge surprise.
Thought young and mata were pretty poor but they didn't have much space to work with (too slow moving the ball forward).

Chelsea looked pretty comfortable tbh. Just pushed the ball out wide and they looked very, very comfortable dealing with the few crosses that came in.

Hererra did a good job in an unfamiliar position, Shaw looked our best player going forward imo, didn't have much to do defensively.
Wasn't a bad performance and we might have sneaked a win or draw on another day. Bit more confidence and falcoa might have put that chance away.
I'd think rooney would be disappointed not to get his chance at the start of the match on target.

Ah well. Thems the breaks

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
75% possession given away on your own pitch, its not as if we're Madrid or Barca now is it,
Dont know why we didnt go for it more in the last 20mins, throw a few more runners into the box.
Annoying game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It is embarrassing to play like that at home in front of fans paying large amounts of money when you've spent billions on the team. We just have to live in a world where that is embarrassing, I have to believe it.
I'm sure they'll be really embarrassed when they're lifting the Premier League trophy in a few weeks.

If Chelsea tried to take us on at football today, with the form they've been in, they would have given themselves a greater chance of losing.

Smores

My word a lot of bitterness in here. They saw the game out in a professional manner against the on form team lets not go all Rawk.

We can take positives out of today especially given the injuries

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I liked how we still kept our shape and didn't drop back and play for a draw in light of our injuries, to be that confident in possession with a right winger at RB, two teenagers at the back and Rooney in midfield augurs well for the philosophy we've heard so much about.

Eriku

Chelsea have looked a cracking side at times this season, but matches like these remind me of one of the main reasons I didn't want him as United manager.

No matter, we were never winning the league this year, and having Jones, Blind and Carrick out was a spot of bother. We'd have done better with Carrick there, McNair and Shaw having to take over was not so significant... On the contrary, they may have looked better than the people they replaced.

Rooney chewed out Valencia something fierce after the first goal... We really need somebody with better defensive instincts at RB.

My word a lot of bitterness in here. They saw the game out in a professional manner against the on form team lets not go all Rawk.

We can take positives out of today especially given the injuries
You really don't think that's a pathetic way for a team at the top of the table, chock full of talent, to approach the match against us at home?

nick2004

Chelsea was better than us today.

Don't be confused: they don't play for possession. It's a different strategy. It is a winning strategy: they basically won the ELP in November.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I don't really get the chelsea praise. Would we praise our boys if we had 30% of the ball at home after paying a bunch of money for a ticket? If we played smalling in CM and camped on the box. Moyes got slaughtered for playing far more attacking football than chelsea did today, away from home
Yeah because Moyes never won the games.

If Moyes had done that and beaten City 1-0 of course he wouldve been praised.

prarek

Mourinho is the best manager in the world.

It will be very hard to beat him, even with another 200 million in transfers.

Too many mistakes from LVG. He played into Mourinho's hands. We played exactly the way Mourinho expected us to.

Plus: Falcao should have never played. Our subs were silly.
Simeone says hello.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'll quote myself from the match day thread.

Come on guys, Learn to be gracious in defeat - we lost fair and square.
I realise that some of you wanted Chelsea to play to our strengths (which is bizarre), but that was never going to happen with Mourinho (JM).
I stated a while back, that for me Arsenal and Man City games are guaranteed 3 pointers for us. Reason: because they attempt to play football against us - if you try this, you will almost certainly lose.
To beat us, you need to park the bus and hit us on the break. Southampton demonstrated this and now Chelsea have also done this. This won't change next year.
JM (unlike Wenger), adapts his playing style according to his opponents and the result: Chelsea are league leaders and rightfully so.
Well done Chelsea...but next year, I think Man Utd have to be odds on to win the title.

In fairness we played to our strengths. We played well, especially given that we didnt have Blind or Carrick.

And with regards Falcao: before the game started, people were predicting him to score a hat-trick. Honestly guys, Falcao is no longer capable of conjuring any magic. Accept it.

Sweet Square

By the time my post had been written half a dozen people had already done what I was expecting them to do :lol:
Rob what your feelings on how Mou plays in general.I think it's completely fine for Mou to play this way, this season(It win at any cost this season for many reasons).

But would you be happy in the long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 587 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results