PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

Losing is always a dissapointment but I'm trying to make myself look at it with a different perspective.

Spurs (H)
Liverpool (A)
Villa (H)
Man City (H)
Chelsea (A)

If someone offered me 12 points from that run before we played Spurs, I'd have happily accepted.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
If Jose continued trolling our rivals and winning trophies all of us would be ecstatic to let him do that forever.

As would you guys and the only reason you feel the need to disagree is because you arent in that position.
It was a genuine question by the way.

I disagree with your point as Moyes(There was criticism in the late Fergie years as well) showed here and Mou showed at Madrid, winning doesn't all ways please the fans(or owners)

Maybe this topic needs it's own thread.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Good performance. Chelsea's defending was very assured, they're a big strong unit defensively. Zouma did a good job on Fellaini. Hopefully this puts some people's idea that Blind should be starting at LB to bed. I gave Shaw and McNair 8s. Rooney had one of his better cm showings, quite tidy and got into good shooting positions. This is one of few times my player ratings were generally higher than the average, people let the result obscure individual performances.

Side note, you'll probably never see two worse cameos in one game than Januzaj and Blackett.

Winrar

I'd say they didn't go home feeling like it was 60 pounds well spent, and that feeling expands over years. Mourinho said he came back to chelsea with the instruction to try play better football than his first stint. He failed today dramatically.
It's awful view but I'd imagine you'd be happy seeing your team win no matter if you won 10-0 with 90% possession or 1-0 with 10% possession. Both are 3 points at the end of the day.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Its interesting what John Terry said.
Basically he said that Rooney in midfield was exactly what they wanted and he was happy to see that Rooney was not playing as striker.
Maybe because it's fairly easy to defend against Rooney in midfield. Terry also has no problem with being a thug against some foreigner. I don't remember seeing him being dirty or go overboard vs. Rooney. It's slightly different when playing your buddy.

Shyftyy

Hope I don't come across as too Rawk'ish but we just did this to the current league champion. Yes, we got one countergoal against but our team is young and has to learn lesson's like these.

If you look at how Shaw played and the prospect that McNair is: How exciting do we look for next year?

Crashoutcassius

Good performance. Chelsea's defending was very assured, they're a big strong unit defensively. Zouma did a good job on Fellaini. Hopefully this puts some people's idea that Blind should be starting at LB to bed. I gave Shaw and McNair 8s. Rooney had one of his better cm showings, quite tidy and got into good shooting positions. This is one of few times my player ratings were generally higher than the average, people let the result obscure individual performances.

Side note, you'll probably never see two worse cameos in one game than Januzaj and Blackett.
Shaw was good but Blind final ball is infinitely better. Shaw didn't actually create much. Maybe if Blind had of got in some decent positions we could have created something more

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Hope I don't come across as too Rawk'ish but we just did this to the current league champion. Yes, we got one countergoal against but our team is young and has to learn lesson's like these.

If you look at how Shaw played and the prospect that McNair is: How exciting do we look for next year?
@Shyftyy I share your optimism.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'd say they didn't go home feeling like it was 60 pounds well spent, and that feeling expands over years. Mourinho said he came back to chelsea with the instruction to try play better football than his first stint. He failed today dramatically.
Yeah that's true but it's Mourinho. They know what they're getting. Results and dour football.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How on earth did we get outplayed by Chelsea? We had the better chances, we dominated the possession. A moment of brilliance from Oscar and the best player in the league decided this game, that’s all. I certainly don’t think Mourinho was relaxed and happy with this performance.

I thought we were very good considering Rooney had to play in midfield (did quite well) and Falcao up front against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

God I’m glad we didn’t get Mourinho.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Biggest positive for me is that we didn't get Jose, I would have probably given up on Football if my team consistently played like that

Slevs

likes to play with penises

Exactly how I feel about this game.

siw2007

A very scripted game at the end of the day. If Chelsea were going to beat us today this is what they would do and they did it very well. For all our possession we created very little because of their defensive shape and work rate. They also offered a good counter attack in Hazard who was very good when he got the ball.

Having said that, we played as well as we have done here in a good number of years. We wre playing the champions elect and we were not outplayed today. Defensively we were good, and at the end of the Terry got away with one in the build up to their goal which shows how well Smalling and McNair coped today. Shaw was probably our best player today, he was good at the back but also offered great pace, power and energy going forwards. He managed to get in round the back of Ivanovic a few times which takes some doing. De Gea got a little lucky with that handball outside the box but because his arms weren't flailing about and Valencia would have cleared it anyway so I'm convinced it would have been only a booking.

On the flip side, Falcao was very poor. Wasn't in the game for long periods and was disappointing when he had his chances. Herrera and Mata also struggled but can be forgiven because of the difficult circumstances they were in.

Hopefully we will have them next year ;). But in the short term, we shouldn't let this hit our confidence because we didn't have a poor game. UCL football is not achieved yet and we have got to bounce back with a win next week.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Played better than I expected given no Carrick/Blind. Herrera proving he is no DM, he's a dominant midfielder but not safe enough for that position. Shaw and mcNair did well, Rooney did ok in midfield given his usual performances. Falcao was rubbish but before the goal that was a clear foul.

AdM's vision is fecking awesome, and he deserves extra points for some awesome tracking back today.

Most promisingly though, we managed to keep possession quite comfortably for long stretches without our 2 best DMs -- shows the effect of LvG 9 months in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Jose continued trolling our rivals and winning trophies all of us would be ecstatic to let him do that forever.

As would you guys and the only reason you feel the need to disagree is because you arent in that position.
Not at all. Lord knows how you can put up with 20-odd% possession at home against one of your biggest rivals like that. I'd go mental. 'Trolling' isn't for me.

beergod

The only thing I found questionable from LvG was bring off Young when he knew he was going to have to take Shaw off at some point. Once Shaw left the match Chelsea were happy to let us play down the left because they only had di Maria to defend.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Chelsea games I've had the misfortune to watch in the past few months, vs PSG, vs Southamption, vs QPR, vs United,
Uber gash affairs one and all.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Losing is always a dissapointment but I'm trying to make myself look at it with a different perspective.

Spurs (H)
Liverpool (A)
Villa (H)
Man City (H)
Chelsea (A)

If someone offered me 12 points from that run before we played Spurs, I'd have happily accepted.
Exactly. Nobody expected us to get so many points in that run and we lost away from home against the team that is going to win the league by a mile. It hurts because we were all confident we could get a result here but we have done fantastic the past few weeks and I am fully confident that we can finish 2nd.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Biggest positive for me is that we didn't get Jose, I would have probably given up on Football if my team consistently played like that
True but we have a tradition of Football. Chelsea don't they've only been an elite club for a decade since the Russian money. They won't care. The stat that matters is they are top.

I'm sure we'd be okay with that for 1 season if it won the league but not for any longer.

beergod

Not at all. Lord knows how you can put up with 20-odd% possession at home against one of your biggest rivals like that. I'd go mental.
How was this any different than our performances against Barcelona in 2008?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

70% possession!

prarek

Forever?

YzWayne

well, despite all the time-wasting by them at the end, i thought the reason we couldn't get anything out of the game was due to poor substitutions and no connectivity.

1) For the past few games, we always play with two triangles , Fellaini - Young - Blind and Valencia - Mata- Herrara. Today , Rooney was not contributing to the triangles and therefore it totally shut off the threat from the right hand side. And Young was too afriad to take Ivanovic on although Ivanovic force Young to his left more often than not.

2) I have no idea why Falcao played the whole 90 mins, no idea why Blackett came one for Shaw and Januzaj for Mata. There is totally no chance to pit Falcao against Terry and Cahill. RVP should have come on after 60min mark. Shaw has been the threat on the left hand side and to remove him and put a defensive Blackett?

I thought the game was there for the taking.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Decent perfromance, Positives to take from it was shaw and McNair looked great.

In the end we just got mourinho'd they must be the most boring team to win the league.

It was never a penalty either, herrera dived.
Herrera might have dived but it would have been given agains us. Esepecially at OT with Dean or Atkinson in charge.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Shaw was good but Blind final ball is infinitely better. Shaw didn't actually create much. Maybe if Blind had of got in some decent positions we could have created something more
What has Blind actually created during his recent spell? Shaw also didn't have the benefit of Fellaini chasing havoc in that zone like Blind did.

rover

we have conceded two goals in consecutive games by letting opponent to cut in more or less the same way. that's the area we need to address and fix immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 587 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results