PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

What has Blind actually created during his recent spell? Shaw also didn't have the benefit of Fellaini chasing havoc in that zone like Blind did.
He set up Herrera's first against Villa.

Walters_19_MuFc

I guess this is how most people knew the game would pan out. Us keeping possession and Chelsea hitting us on the counter.

I think the first half, especially in the first say 25/30 mins, we were all over Chelsea. We weren't only keeping possession, but we were getting into dangerous areas. Chelsea didn't know what to do with us. Unfortunately, despite getting into good areas, we weren't able to capitalise. This is why I said before the game how important I felt it was to get the first goal, especially being at Stamford Bridge.

Think the goal, although I felt it was a foul on Falcao, couldn't have come at a worse time for us. Just before half time, which meant Chelsea were able to go in and regroup.

Second half, Chelsea were able to regroup and work on their positions and it shown. They were a lot harder to break down and we very found Rooney and Fellaini in between the lines, hence why they dropped so deep.

Think the subs, although no fault of Van Gaal's, were awful. Fresh legs out wide was exactly what we needed. I mean, if we were going to break them down, it was going to come from the wide areas. We saw how good Shaw was today. Unfortunately, neither Di Maria, Januzaj or Blackett didn't have the same impact.

All in all, i'm very proud of the boys. Although we had a couple of decent chances, it's never easy to go to the Bridge and break down a very resolute Chelsea side.

prarek

Their manager is immortal and would be there for at least ten centuries.
That would be some torture if i was a Chelsea fan. Id probably kill myself. Unless the style evolved. Forever is a long time. 2-3 years i can understand.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Frankly I don't mind being one depresse fan if we win titles playing like that
Do you not want Utd challenging and winning titles/trophies every year?
Surely the clubs have an obligation to perform football worth watching? It's an entertainment industry first and foremost, unless you are financially involved with the club. Then winning is what matters.

kps88

That LvG interview :lol:

Touchiest I've seen him this season.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
1 assist in 4 games against easily the weakest opponent of those 4. Its not to say he can't do a job there and doesn't have attributes in favour of Shaw but today Shaw was clearly better than Blind has been. Blind was actually rather sloppy against pool and city.

markhrad

From the time I knew Carrick was injured I knew we were going to have problems scoring today. Many on the café have been saying how dominant we have played in the last several matches. Well we have dominated ball possession but its primarily due to a preponderance of back and side passes. Mata and Herrera get a lot of praise despite being imo extremely uncreative. When do they turn and face their opponents? When do they even attempt to dribble pass one or two players then deliver a killer pass to our strikers?
I really feel sorry for Falcao and RVP. They are truly world class strikers yet get all the blame when in fact its our central midfield that is poor.
Its no coincidence that we play better when Carrick is on the filed. Even though he plays DM he still attempts more through passes then Mata and Herrera combined.

Castia

Real positives though, we seem to have a style of football and a way of doing things now, something we have lacked for the best part of 2 years. Playing away at Chelsea and having 70% possession and looking the better of the 2 sides says a lot especially after our recent results. Good times ahead.

Crashoutcassius

1 assist in 4 games against easily the weakest opponent of those 4. Its not to say he can't do a job there and doesn't have attributes in favour of Shaw but today Shaw was clearly better than Blind has been. Blind was actually rather sloppy against pool and city.
You asked about chances created, he was brilliant in that game.

I'm just saying his intelligence, delively and technique is far superior to shaw. Shaw is fast and strong and a far better defender, and is the future. But if we are getting players into crossing positions, with Fellaini in the box, I like Blind at left back

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well, LVG said (in his opinion) that this was the best he has seen us play.
I'm not sure about that, but LVG knows far more than I do about football.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How was this any different than our performances against Barcelona in 2008?
Barcelona were the best team the world has ever seen. This was a Manchester United side who have been awful for large parts of the season without 3 starting XI players. Not to mention Chelsea are the champions elect, at home in a league game, not a smash and grab champions league final or semi final. I seriously struggle to see where the comparisons are coming from.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
So who deserves more credit?

Us for beating you 1-0.

Or City for losing 4-2 playing open attractive football.

When the freshness of the result dies down you all know you would take this over second best regardless of how its played.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Possession yea, but did nothing worthwhile with it, it almost reminded of the 3-5-2 horror show vs Southamption @OT, we get to the edge of their box, turn and pass sideways, never trying to commit a man, (bar Shaw) just too orthodox, too easy to regroup and defend against.

VP

Thought that was a fantastic performance given the circumstances (mug upfront and injuries). When has a United team gone to Liverpool and Chelsea away and been the better team so convincingly? Don't understand the Barcelona 2008 comparisons - we had the better chances that game and actually looked to attack when we had the chance.

If Jose continued trolling our rivals and winning trophies all of us would be ecstatic to let him do that forever.

As would you guys and the only reason you feel the need to disagree is because you arent in that position.
Have you played football? Imagine your Sunday league team is running away with the league, then the fourth best team comes along and you struggle to get out of your half. You win off your only attack but would you be happy getting dominated like that? It'd be humiliating.

MDFC Manager

How was this any different than our performances against Barcelona in 2008?
You had to go back 7 years as a reference for us, whereas this is probably. the 7th time already this season that they've played this way

mu4c_20le

Barcelona were the best team the world has ever seen. This was a Manchester United side who have been awful for large parts of the season without 3 starting XI players. Not to mention Chelsea are the champions elect, at home in a league game, not a smash and grab champions league final or semi final. I seriously struggle to see where the comparisons are coming from.
We've done it loads of times under SAF against teams with a stronger midfield, Barca was simply the most extreme example.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Why were some slagging off Shaw in the match thread? Did I miss something?

While we are on the subject of young defenders, it was good to see McNair put in a solid shift after a rough patch at right-back.

R'hllor

Think we did everything what we could with players in certain positions. There are positives but in general not sure some players did what they supposed to. Falcao could not do Rooney role,Rooney destroyed that triangle on right side but i understand that why he could not do Herrera role today etc.

It was clear that if you pull out some players from their natural positions and role among the team,things will not look the same,we had possession but penetration wasnt there,like i said that triangle on the right never worked properly.

I see people having a go at LvG subs,think he knows way better then us why some players got subbed.How it looks for most Shaw was biggest issue,i must say,surprised to see people still have not learned that to be fit in LvG world,you need to tick few boxes.He does not like when players jump into game after injury without some game time,believe there is a good reason why. Doubt he subbed Shaw because he was unhappy with his performance or something like that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We've done it loads of times under SAF against teams with a stronger midfield, Barca was simply the most extreme example.
We've never, ever, ever set up that negative. Ever.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The defenders on both sides had an easy evening due to Rooney playing in the middle and Costa missing. Herrera is not a holding midfielder. Shaw likely had his best game for United. Looks to have been watching and learning from Blind. Impressed with McNair with his composure and passing.

RetroStu

All this talk about possession and stats is very Rawk like when they had Rafa in charge. The only stat that matters in football is the final score.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Thought that was a fantastic performance given the circumstances (mug upfront and injuries). When has a United team gone to Liverpool and Chelsea away and been the better team so convincingly? Don't understand the Barcelona 2008 comparisons - we had the better chances that game and actually looked to attack when we had the chance.

Have you played football? Imagine your Sunday league team is running away with the league, then the fourth best team comes along and you struggle to get out of your half. You win off your only attack but would you be happy getting dominated like that? It'd be humiliating.
You're acting like you dominated possession because you're this unbelievably brilliant side.

You dominated possession because WE LET YOU HAVE THE BALL! Those were the tactics and they worked.

beergod

You had to go back 7 years as a reference for us, whereas this is probably. the 7th time already this season that they've played this way
Feel free to attack them for playing negative against the lower sides in the league. There isn't any shame in playing defensively to win against the big sides.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

I'm just saying his intelligence, delively and technique is far superior to shaw. Shaw is fast and strong and a far better defender, and is the future. But if we are getting players into crossing positions, with Fellaini in the box, I like Blind at left back
Like a said before it speaks volumes that people have to bring up a result from 7 years ago to make that point. Also that first leg against Barca in 2008 was one of the most frustrating performances I have seen from United in a big match let us not act like everyone knew it was going to work. And I am sure there was plenty of moaning from people on sites like this.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Chelsea already won everything in Europe as well as in England. So this kind of shite delivered plenty.
Good for you @antihenry ... you are a Chelsea fan. The title for 2015 is won already, and congratulations. But Mourhino? There was a time when I would have loved to see him at United. There was a time, too, when I used to visit The Shed, some witty contributors there. For me, it's about winning, but it's about entertainment too. I love Barcelona, they are my second favourite team. I can tell you hand on heart that if Manchester United played Chelsea at Old Trafford like one of the non league sides we met in various cups, with every hand to the pumps and everyone behind the ball and 30% possession, and won by a single (admittedly classy) goal, well then, I would worry for the direction of the club and management. These days I am heartily pleased that you lot have Mourhino and we have Louis Van Gaal.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

Faid enough but you can't really say Shaw created little when he set up both Rooney and Mata's chances then point to one good performance against villa to advocate why Blind is better when he was sloppy in two of his other games and didn't create much, if anything in those. I wouldn't say his technique is necessarily better for that position, Shaw is a lot better at controlling the ball on the run.

Reducation

Awful dive by Herrera, but Cahill's got some front to protest after his embarrassingly silly dive against Hull City earlier this season.

OneUnited24

When the freshness of the result dies down you all know you would take this over second best regardless of how its played.
As LvG says the "winner takes it all, it is a song but also true here"

Winning games is great but if i had to watch Chelsea week in week out i'd slit my wrists. I dont mind Jose as a manager, in fact i would have loved him to take over after SAF, but in big games hes intent on defending and getting teams on the break. You might win 7 games out of 10 playing that way but it'll never win you a UCL (as seen in this seasons competition... against 10 men...)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Argh. Again, winning football matches isn't embarrassing.
It's not embarrassing but with that big of a gap at the top, do you think Old Trafford or any United fans would be happy having only 30% of the possession at home? Against anyone, let alone when you have world class players all over the pitch and are by far the best team in the league.

togg

can't complain with that. I thought, considering who was out, we really challenged them. Obviously, looking at the team up front, Falcao is going..RVP is, well..never been the same since Fergie left, no matter what LVG magic can happen, and will always get injured. Wilson is not a top player...so we do need a top striker up front. Doubt it would have made a difference today...but hey, I always thought we wouldn't get over this one, and in the past how many times have we done what chelsea did to us today to get that title....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 587 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results