PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 December 2018

Cathy Ferguson

Rashford, Lingard and Herrera will always match our opponents in terms of ground covered, and Mata rarely gives the ball away. Against Fulham we can then carry Lukaku and Matic and enjoy a comfortable win. Dalot and Young were also good.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Funny you say that. Dalot played at Left back and was paired with Mane last season at Anfield. Kept him rather quiet.
Dalot doesn't strike me as the most natural of fullbacks from the (admittedly) little I have seen of him. He was positionally naive against Arsenal and on another day he would have been punished harshly for it. He looked shaky on a couple of occasions in the second half against Fulham, too.

He's young and still learning to ply his trade and may yet prove to be a quality fullback, but for now, I'd be wary of playing him against quality opposition such as next weekends opponents, at least until he has improved defensively.

Or he may simply be a more natural winger/right midfielder than that of a fullback.

Last edited:

red4ever 79

Dalot doesn't strike as the most natural of fullbacks from the (admittedly) little I have seen of him. He was positionally naive against Arsenal and on another day he would have been punished harshly for it. He looked shaky on a couple of occasions in the second half against Fulham, too.

He's young and still learning to ply his trade and may yet prove to be a quality fullback, but for now, I'd be wary of playing him against quality opposition such next weekends opponents.

Or he may simply be winger/right midfielder more than a fullback.
Fully agree in terms of being careful who he is played against. I wouldnt start him against Liverpool at Anfield. SAF used to manage the young players very carefully and we need to do the same here. He looks very good going forwards, he looks quick and technically very good. He does however need some work on the defensive part of his game and his positioning. However I am sure he will get that at the club. Looks a great talent for sure

Steerpike

Yes, but also need to warm up Mctom for the Valencia game. Pogba should play in Spain, he normally gives 100% when it is on overseas TV.
Pogba is also more suited to the Champions League games, where the pace and levels of pressing tend to be lower than they are in the Premier League, so he gets more time on the ball. I suspect Pogba will be sold fairly soon, so it would be useful if he had a decent game.

It would be nice to try a few of the youngsters as well against Valencia, but I'm not sure what the rules are (most won't be in the Champions League squad list, but I' don't know if that's relevant for younger players).

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fully agree in terms of being careful who he is played against. I wouldnt start him against Liverpool at Anfield. SAF used to manage the young players very carefully and we need to do the same here. He looks very good going forwards, he looks quick and technically very good. He does however need some work on the defensive part of his game and his positioning. However I am sure he will get that at the club. Looks a great talent for sure
Without a shadow of doubt.

Camilo

Didn't look soooo much different to me. Fulham were dreadful, and we were given space and time that we're never given in other games. That said, seeing the fullbacks pressed up and playing as wingers is clearly the only way forward, and if it leaves us exposed at the back so be it. I guess the problem is Matic and Pogba aren't nippy enough to win the ball back quickly when we lose it.. In which case replace Matic with Herrera for the rest of the season and play Fred and Pogba ahead. Or don't. Maybe that'd be shite too. Matic was good today.. But so was Cleverley when nobody was near him.

Anyways, nice play, good goals, but I fear it was only the quality of opposition that changed today. Well done Dalot.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Really good to see us stick it to a poor side. Dalot and Rashford were very good.
I am very pleased that Marcus Rashford is playing so well and more importantly getting the recognition he deserves.

Some of the language used against this young man is completely undeserved.

He is one of our own and a very good player who works extremely hard and very much plays for the shirt.
We should be encouraging our young players not going ballistic when they make mistakes.

Good players learn from their mistakes.

Siorac

Good first half, been a while since we dominated a team like that.

Second half was a bit disappointing as we took our foot off the pedal. Red card killed them though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You're not wrong, but given our scarcity of options at the moment I'd throw him in there for the experience. He's far from complete, but unless we can play Shaw and Young I'd have him in over playing Darmian

RonaldoVII

Think City/Liverpool would've put 6/7 past that Fulham today. Was disappointing how we sat back in the 2nd half and even when they had 10 men we favoured the sideways pass a bit much.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This was our first proper game with two flanks this season. Let that sink in

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Fulham were poor, the cue went on the rack in the second half and some of our decision-making and the quality of our final ball is found wanting far too often.

That being said I'm happy we finally put a poor team to the sword. We're way off the pace because we gift teams footholds in matches, this time any momentum they could have got from the penalty was soon quelled by the red card. Dalot looked good, Rashford did well and Rom got a goal, it's nice to come out of a game with some positives.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A rubbish opponent of course, but we've made heavy work of those in the past.

Good to see us putting 4 away in a single home game. That used to be the norm, now it's very much a treat!

crossy1686

career ending
We looked like a team today, a cohesive unit. Enjoyable performance and a lot of attacking football.

Maybe Mourinho was right, Pogba might actually be a virus :nervous:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We looked like a team today, a cohesive unit. Enjoyable performance and a lot of attacking football.

Maybe Mourinho was right, Pogba might actually be a virus :nervous:
Well it is up to Pogba now. He can use his undoubted ability and play for the team or he can enjoy himself on the bench.

Jose has said that he will play against Valencia so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Loublaze

ATLien
All of you criticizing Matic, hope you shut up for a while
Yes he did ok against the mighty Fulham, probably the weakest opposition we've played since Young boys in the first leg 3-0 away win. Overall the win wasn't impressive. We were very passive in the second half.

Al-T

As straightforward as it should have been for a Manchester United side playing a team as poor as Fulham.

Hope that generates a little confidence ahead of next Sunday.

OldPop

A victory against the league's worst team is what we have to ask for, something else would not be acceptable. We got that, but also good efforts from many players and above all four goals! We really needed that!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We beat the worst team in the league. Well done, I guess. We're gonna park the bus next week and I'm gonna be pissed off regardless, so what is the point of even celebrating this. Just prolongs this cnuts run as our "manager"

Still no clean sheet of course.

All of you criticizing Matic, hope you shut up for a while
Because one good game against the leagues worst team excuses 20 bad ones? I expect United players to perform every game. Sounds like Jose has successfully dropped your standards. I refuse to accept anything other than a title challenge every season. Matic has been a failure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We beat the worst team in the league. Well done, I guess. We're gonna park the bus next week and I'm gonna be pissed off regardless, so what is the point of even celebrating this. Just prolongs this cnuts run as our "manager"

Still no clean sheet of course.

Because one good game against the leagues worst team excuses 20 bad ones? I expect United players to perform every game. Sounds like Jose has successfully dropped your standards. I refuse to accept anything other than a title challenge every season. Matic has been a failure.
Have read 3 of your posts now. Are the other 900 so consistently negative?

Today was a good day, there haven't been loads this year, so why not enjoy today eh?

Flexdegea

Smashford is back........

Played well......his movement and threat last 4 games has been in his game.......just needs some trust from the manager from here on out and the goals will come. All about keeping the mentality high

JohnnyKills

Today was a good day, there haven't been loads this year, so why not enjoy today eh?
I think, like a lot of people, he feels the system is broken and any victory is only prolonging the current mess. So it's hard to be enthusistic.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Lately, probably. We're 6th in the league mate. Should I be jumping for joy? We should be challenging for the title. We won some games in the Moyes season, was still an abysmal season. This season is heading the same way.

I think, like a lot of people, he feels the system is broken and any victory is only prolonging the current mess. So it's hard to be enthusistic.
^

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not hard to not be miserable. If you're like this after a 4-1 smash you should go do something else.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't see the game today (didn't watch Wednesday either) but looks like it took a flukey goal from Young, a couple of scruffy efforts from Mata and Lukaku and a goalkeeping error for Rashfords to beat bottom of the table Fulham, that fair?

Meh even if they did play well it's only Fulham and they choose to win on a day where everyone else bar City who are uncatchable all won as well

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lately, probably. We're 6th in the league mate. Should I be jumping for joy? We should be challenging for the title. We won some games in the Moyes season, was still an abysmal season. This season is heading the same way.

^
Oh completely agree, but we need to take some sort of joy when we can.
I can't imagine anyone is looking forward to Anfield. It's a tough place at the best of times.

Valencia midweek first I suppose, and we're fairly lucky they amazingly only drew one game with YB, to make it a dead rubber!
The only way we're going to get something at Anfield is if they have to put a huge performance in versus Napoli, and we get our defensive game spot on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The problem is that we all know our board will cling on until top 4 is not doable. That's what they've done the last two times with sackings, when Van Gaal couldn't win for ages and had that dreadful 3 defeats in a row one December.

What is very awkward for the board is what do they do about January? Can they possibly give Jose funds, knowing he's near the edge? If so, will they be players that someone on the board thinks is a good future signing? Or will they just veto it completely, meaning Jose will know he's just stumbling along waiting for mathematical failure

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Oh completely agree, but we need to take some sort of joy when we can.
I can't imagine anyone is looking forward to Anfield. It's a tough place at the best of times.

Valencia midweek first I suppose, and we're fairly lucky they amazingly only drew one game with YB, to make it a dead rubber!
The only way we're going to get something at Anfield is if they have to put a huge performance in versus Napoli, and we get our defensive game spot on.
Aye that could be crucial for us. I hope they have to strain every sinew in their game while we put the kids out.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I had a feeling we would win 4 or 5 to 1 but bottled it and predicted a 2-1 win for us.Fulham are poor but it was nice to score a few goal again.
Thought the red was harsh.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Really great performance. People are insane and are desperately trying to stick to their narrative if they didn't see much difference today. That was a superb performance offensively and on another day we could have easily had six or seven for the first time post Ferguson. Defensively we gave very little away too and were unlucky to concede the pen. It was great to walk home from OT excited to watch the highlights. I imagine on xG we'll be about 3.5 playing 0.5 + pen, which is superb for anyone.

Man of the Match

Diogo Dalot image Diogo Dalot 42% of 483 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 306 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw