CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:3 Galatasaray

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 October 2023

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Lots of promising play, enjoyed the game despite the loss. The team is growing and Højlund will be a star. Still need time but I’m very optimistic!

Woziak

We have a manager that doesnt even know how to set up the team.
Its quite tragic. He actually deserves to be sacked.

Yes, a defensive four with Lindeløf, Amrabat out of position and Dalot isnt a good defence, but it doesnt get better with Amrabat playing left back.
And why?
You put Lindeløf right, Dalot Left and Varane (Maguire/Evans) center. This is not brain Surgery.
You also only field Eriksen at number 10. Either to replace Fernandes or to push him out right. This isnt brain surgery either.
So why does he play players out of position?, or why does he keep using Eriksen as a sitting midfielder when a 10 year old can see he isnt suited to that position?
And he keeps doing this.

He must understand that both Dalot and Lindeløf are backup players, and this makes the defence weaker by default.
So why doesnt a profiled manager like ETH understand things like this?
I dont get it.
Totally agree with this incredibly sensible post, this is on ETH just like the last result?

The Hilton

Maybe but like Zlatan said you manager young rising stars at Ajax, it’s different from managing egoistical superstars at United and when we sell Jadon, he will go and do his stuff like he did at Dortmund for a cut price of £40m and bill effect games in the CL, yes it’s 90% on Jadon but ETH clearly has his favourites, let’s hope they don’t cost him his job.

Ten games in he’s lost 6 or 60%, there’s no shame losing to Arsenal, Spurs and Bayern away but losing at home to Brighton for the second year running, Palace and Galatasaray at Old Trafford after getting lucky against wolves and Forrest, this guy all of a sudden looks as much out of his depth as Frank De Boer did at palace, another Dutch coach obsessed with Ajax system and Dutch football , he lost 4 out of 5 then got sacked ?
I'm not arguing with the rest of your post, I don't agree with ETH is out of his depth but we do have issues.

The Sancho point you made was total nonsense though, we need to kill the player power that's taken over the club, and the manager is absolutely right to punish a player who hasn't been applying themselves correctly. There's a reason Sancho has been reported to have a poor attitude at every club he's been at.

The Hilton

The way individual errors are always occurring is worrying, these are highly paid professionals ffs but they act like 5th rate players playing for a 5th rate pub team. How many times have lost a goal moments after scoring ourselves? How many times do we play well for 20 minutes but then switch off and allow the opposition to take control? And all this can happen at any stage of the match, beginning of a half, middle, end; these players are incapable of playing and concentrating for the full 90 minutes plus of a match.
I think part of it boils down to muscle memory; Lindelof made a couple of huge mistakes, being entirely at fault for the 3rd goal, and heavily for the 2nd, but I'm sure he's used to leaving that ball because since he joined the club he's been playing about 20 yards deeper and so that would have run through to DDG. He should know better, but I can imagine that in that instant he just defaulted to what he knew.

Belisarius

When you think about it - it's pretty fascinating how we conceded so little during the LvG/Mou days. Part of me misses that now. If either of them would have had some of the forward/mids line we have now at that time, we might have been in a much better position today. Even though it's still short on quality.
I'm not sure about LVG. But, Mourinho wouldn't have made the Garnacho sub. It was the correct decision at 1-1. But, after we went up 2-1 he should have called Garnacho back and sent on an extra defender or midfielder instead (McTominay, Maguire, Evans) to fill the giant hole in front of our defense. ETH needs to be a bit more pragmatic until we get back on our feet and get some confidence going.

RuudTom83

Like someone mentioned.

Shaw - Licha - Varane - AWB

United win the game tonight, I’m 99% sure of it.

El Zoido

I agree. You forgot the keeper.
I don’t rate Onana much, but you’ll see him performing much better with that defence in front of him rather than the one he had tonight.

colombianmancunian

The positive: Rasmus! Strong, fast, with an eye for goal. We have a genuine number 9 for many years to come. The best: he can only get better.

The negative: Everyone else. Poor performance by the team (who let Højlund down). Specially the defense, Dalot not tracking back, Varane not being his usual composed self, Lindelof being non existent, Amrabat with aweful decisions. A shout to Onana, the worst GK performance I have seen in a United shirt. The guy can’t shot stop! DDG wasn’t the shot stopping beast he once was, but at least he was better than Onana at it! But people wanted a keeper who “is good with his feet”! That’s worthless if the team can’t keep possession, that’s worthless if the team can’t defend! The main attribute in a fecking keeper should be shot stopping! Period! The other attributes are nice to haves.

The Hilton

Yeah I think, that is then proof that we are all victims of our own bias's, isn't it (edit: not a slight, I mean both of us and everybody else probably as well)? Just FYI, flashscore has xG as 2.10 to 2.68 for Galatasary. Possession 52% for us, shots 16 to 15 for us, shots on target 5 to 4 to us...

I also checked the highlights again and chances were mostly equal. When you say we were good or we created "tons of chances" do you mean in comparison to ourselves or what?

I mean, don't know, maybe you want to see the positives because you back the manager and you want to see progress. It would be a good reason. I don't want to see him in the line of fire but not sure if bigging up average stuff is the best way to go. Don't get me wrong, I can see your points but I find it astonishing, how you can describe a match like that so enthusiastically. Good on you.
If you read my post, you'll see I say "take away the penalty and we beat their xG". That would stand true with your flashscore totals as well, as pens are always been 0.7 and 0.8 xG. Also, those stats include the time we had 10 men and were having to throw players forward. Before the red card, the xG was 1.931 vs 1.38 in our favour (according to The Analyst for Opta, link here). That doesn't include Rashford squaring the ball when he had a 1 on 1, nor the goal we scored that was disallowed for a close offside.

Again, before the red card, the only highlights they had were the 2 goals, and both of those were gifts from awful defensive errors. If we cut out the individual errors then we win that match 3 or 4 nil.

bosskeano

who in their right mind think that it's ok for a CB to try and play a wall pass with an outside back when playing in your own defensive third???

the positional play today of Varane and Lindelof was shocking. someone needs to say to both of them...do your job and fecking defend first

Cantonagotmehere

I came into the game jaded and so sad about the takeover situation. So I am just so happy for Rasmus. He's going to be great. The offside goal was so awesome. We have not had a player with that composure up there since RVP, maybe?

Thought Mount played well too.

Hang in there mates, dark days.

JB7

We have a manager that doesnt even know how to set up the team.
Its quite tragic. He actually deserves to be sacked.

Yes, a defensive four with Lindeløf, Amrabat out of position and Dalot isnt a good defence, but it doesnt get better with Amrabat playing left back.
And why?
You put Lindeløf right, Dalot Left and Varane (Maguire/Evans) center. This is not brain Surgery.
You also only field Eriksen at number 10. Either to replace Fernandes or to push him out right. This isnt brain surgery either.
So why does he play players out of position?, or why does he keep using Eriksen as a sitting midfielder when a 10 year old can see he isnt suited to that position?
And he keeps doing this.

He must understand that both Dalot and Lindeløf are backup players, and this makes the defence weaker by default.
So why doesnt a profiled manager like ETH understand things like this?
I dont get it.
1. Lindelof has played two games for us at right back. In both games he was dreadful and substituted.
2. Eriksen hasn't been a number 10 for years.
3. Why are you criticising the manager for playing players out of position, whilst suggesting the solution is playing players out of position?
4. Do you seriously think the manager doesn't recognise that Dalot and Lindelof are back-up players?
5. The comment about deserving to be sacked is ridiculous. If you genuinely believe that then you're probably the one requiring brain surgery.

Hope this helps.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Hopefully Bayern can clean up, then three wins will be enough to get us through before we even play them in the final round.

Jeffthered

I watched their last goal and it confirms why you cannot play a central midfielder at full back. The pass he played was short (you have to get that pass right or you overhit that ball, it can't come straight back, as we saw...) and he made that pass from a position 10 yards behind the other defenders. Amrabat played a poor pass and then played them onside.

colombianmancunian

Right now enduring the extremely chauvinistic Colombian press proclaiming Davinson Sanchez was the star of the game, when actually Højlund’s second goal was originated in a blooper from him.

I reallyhate chauvinism, and you will hardly find something moré chauvinistic than Colombian media. For them James Rodriguez is better than Messi and Luis Diaz is better than Ronaldo at his prime.

croadyman

Yet again our concentration levels aren't good enough and surprise surprise our heads dropped when going 3-2 down but that's par for the course

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t understand how our defence can fall apart the way it has. Everyone’s constantly making laughable mistakes and it’s spread like wildfire. Dalot’s “defending” on the Zaha goal just sets the tone. Every long ball into the defence is a problem. I know we have injuries but still - it comes across as borderline unprofessional to be this sloppy.

Jamie Shawcross

Tonight brought absolute clarity for me. It's over. Fully over. It's taken the best part of a decade but the global footballing behemoth that is Manchester United has regressed to such mediocrity, I fear we won't rise again to the heights we were accustomed to again in our lifetimes. It's fully over. Tonight was the line in the sand for me. The realisation. All of that deep rooted expectation and conditioning from being a fan through the 90's and 00's has dissipated into thin air.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I just watched....

I dont ever think ive seen such defending. These goals cannot happen. Feel bad for ETH and Rasmus.

These sort of goals has been happening all season. What pisses me off is how come we have not corrected it.

Then when we finally score a goal or two, we cant hold on to the lead. Or if we let in the first goal, we cant seem to will our way back to responding and getting an equaliser; forget about winning

amolbhatia50k

Tonight brought absolute clarity for me. It's over. Fully over. It's taken the best part of a decade but the global footballing behemoth that is Manchester United has regressed to such mediocrity, I fear we won't rise again to the heights we were accustomed to in our lifetimes. It's fully over. Tonight was the line in the sand for me. The realisation.
It’s the Jose and Ole last seasons all over again. The club is just rotten. After a decent season or two the team always reverts to being an utter mess. At this point I don’t even know how one resolves it. Patience is all I can think of - to back the vision, but it has to really show once the full team is back.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s the Jose and Ole last seasons all over again. The club is just rotten. After a decent season or two the team always reverts to being an utter mess. At this point I don’t even know how one resolves it. Patience is all I can think of - to back the vision, but it has to really show once the full team is back.
But this team is filled with so many of ETH's players. He cant say he wasnt supported by management.

In fact, arguably he has been the best-supported United manager considering the brevity of his reign.

Pscholes18

I think they played the best football we've seen all season attacking wise. How many chances did we create in open play? They were actually moving the ball around for once and not just passing backwards. Then they fecking collapse. Ambarat was going to get beat sooner or later....matter of fact he has been beat in the last couple of matches they just didnt score until tonight. He isn;t fast enough to get back and help out. Onana fecked Casa although I don't think Casa had to lunge in like he did......that third goal, wtf was Lindelof doing? ETH just can't win, even when we finally play really well, still find a way to lose.

amolbhatia50k

But this team is filled with so many of ETH's players. He cant say he wasnt supported by management.

In fact, arguably he has been the best-supported United manager considering the brevity of his reign.
I’m not saying he’s not supported - of course he has and he has to produce. But I think the start of this season has also been ravaged by injuries so I want to see whether we come together once the team is more complete this season.

Having said that, ETH or somebody else, I’m just feeling a sense of hopelessness with the club. For a long time I’ve said that nothing will change under the Glazers and sometimes it really does feel like they’re a curse hanging over the club. That doesn’t mean managers haven’t made mistakes - just that the whole club seems to be poisonous to the core.

Winrar

FC Kobenhavn: I like your optimism.
Their loss to Bayern was their first home defeat in the CL since 2013. Even City failed to beat them away last season.

Every chance we finish last in our group. Might as well do a complete reset for the second half of this season and the next.

JediSith

Hujland looked great.
Casemiro took one for the team.
Onana just gotta hope a better back four gives him protection.

croadyman

Galatasaray had never won a game in England before,was the first time since 2018 they won a Champions League group match

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
What was Dalot even doing for that first goal? He’s not some teenager playing his first game - how can you be bullied so badly!
The usual "got my contract now i can be shit again" syndrome. When the club's highest earner leads the way, you follow.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His signings bar Höjlund and maybe Casemiro and Martinez (maybe) have been crap. We see no patterns of play, players out of form are being picked on reputation only. Sorry, but I’ve lost all faith in Ten Hag. Something radical has to be done!
Not got too big a problem with any of his signings, bar the goalkeeper. Martinez I think had not recovered from his foot injury. Amrabat will be better in midfield. Injuries are killing us at the back. However the goalkeeper my god.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 94% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 308 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw