PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 10 December 2017

Chris Hill

The just outclassed us plain and simple. They are light years a head of us now in squad quality and play. We have wingers playing both fullback positions. We have strikers playing as wingers. We don't have the pace and squad depth to keep up with them. They have a great squad.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Lukaku had a shocker. Played a part in both of their goals and missed some absolute sitters at the other end. The guy needs a rest - enter Zlatan, Prince of Old Trafford.

That's the title over then, bar a miracle.

DevilRed

Lukaku is the difference between us challenging for the title and challenging for top 4......he makes us only capable of challenging for top 4. He should be nowhere near a title challenging first 11.
He will need to improve over the course of the season and the coming years. Even his aerial dominance has gone from his game. I suspect its because we've played him in every match possible. Not even sure why he was needed against cska.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Even with all the luck in their goals, City deserved the win. Lukaku today was one of the most inept performances from a striker i've seen in a long time. And this comes from someone who has been watching portuguese strikers for years. Mourinho got it wrong as well.

Can't complain about the tactics, but we really should have hurt them more on the counter attack. Careless giving away possession is like asking for trouble against that lot. Even so we shot ourselves in the foot twice with failed clearances.

Mick1

Worst performance by a united player since Rooney's time here. That's the problem with " out and out goalscorers", absolutely useless when not scoring a goal, and why no single top team in the world plays with one. It's just not possible to play with 10 men for 99% of a game, and why Chelsea got a the better player.

Martin(6)Buchan

Shocking performance and against these, wrong formation just playing two in mifield. Just goes to show how far behind the oil rags we are and what a damming verdict and we should have Pep npot Jose !

TinFoil

There's been a power shift in manchester. City are the top dogs now.

This is the best premier league team ever with arguably the greatest manager ever. United cannot compete in anyway shape or form.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
That went about as well as could have been expected before kick-off. City dominant against our Pogba-less midfield.

But the annoying thing is that their goals were entirely avoidable.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am pissed on lukaku and olliver. Silva deserved red card for studs up. Penalty on herrera was soft but was a penalty. City got that kind of decisions whole season. We don't.
PL over. Cups here we come

Edit: btw i will give lukaku 10/10. And mom award.

cloyton

Nothing worse than getting out played at home.. Hate city but fair play to them they look dangerous on every attack and scoring scruffy goals like we used to back in the day.

The league is pretty much done and dusted now, we would need city to loose 5 games and us capitalise on them which I dont see happening.

Massive mistake heading into this season with just Lukaku, Matic and Lindelof. Whilst they are 'good' players we miss that star quality. Its so frustrating every year we play city they seem to dominate the midfield.. realling miss pogba :/

Transfer window cant come soon enough!

Devil may care

We deserved a point out of that, Guardiola's a fecking hypocrite with his no striker bullshit for the second half, and that City team spend more time pretending to be injured than they do passing it around.

Our lack of quality in the technical department was on show again today and will be a weakness in the big games where chances and openings are at a premium, but we basically gave these cnuts the title with Lukaku's feck ups on the two corners, they didn't do anything special to get that win.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I've seen a fair few of City's games this season and I'd honestly say that we offered the least amount of threat than anyone they've faced so far this season.

We were bland, Lukaku abysmal, and City didn't even have to really turn it up all that much. Against their nearest and fiercest (only) rival. That's nowhere near good enough, and pretty much destroys the "Premier League is the most competitive league" argument. I would give pretty much anything to have David Silva in our team though, incredible player.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Frustrating game, very hard to accept that result. Inexcusable to concede two goals from set pieces against a team like City especially when they couldn´t create anything in the entire 90 minutes. Unfortunately, both times Lukaku was at fault.

Also unbelievable the missed chance in the end, Lukaku and Mata both straight at the keeper.

Then in the last 20 minutes City completely stopped the game, going to the ground, staying there for ages, provocating your players. Wonder what Pep lovers and football purists think about that style of play. And of course, Oliver didn´t do anything to prevent that antics and gave 4 minutes of stoppage time.

Robindinho

They’re miles ahead of us. Completely deserved - we played like a league one team in a cup match. Scared to death if put under any pressure and constantly hoofing.

We’re at home and right from the start we just sit back deep inviting them on. At least have a go and show some intent!

feck off :(

Reactions: KM

minoo-utd

Missed Pogba. Lukaku so unlucky and should have done way better. They will win the league surely now.

ClosetDevil

What does it say about us as a team if we are so reliant on one player (Pogba)? We're hopeless without him...

Just need to face it - this group of players just isn't good enough...

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He will need to improve over the course of the season and the coming years. Even his aerial dominance has gone from his game. I suspect its because we've played him in every match possible. Not even sure why he was needed against cska.
He won't improve. He isn't good enough, never has been and never will be. He just isn't a top quality player.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The only silver lining on this cloud is that the teams below us are worse and we’re still on course to finish second while being so bad.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
City were better than us all over the park.

Great game to watch though and it won't take much to sort us out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are much better than us. I have never, ever, been a fan of Lukaku (although credit his record) - but he really is a poor footballer. No better than Chris Smalling.

It’s going to be a handicap trying to build a new attack around him in the next few years.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Lukaku just about beats Smalling to worst player on the pitch for me.

Don't think I've ever seen a more awkward footballer than Smalling, but Lukaku had a hand in both of their goals and then fluffed his big chance.

Thought Matic was excellent and Herrera whilst not being great showed some positive signs compared to some of his recent performances.

Gopher Brown

We’ve spent loads and our players are just nowhere near as good as theirs, which is shameful really. They are better than us at passing, dribbling, decision making, and they are fitter than we are.

We played cowardly football and still lost. It’s not really right to play defensively, but if we got a draw we’d say ‘Well, okay then,’ playing defensively and losing is appalling.

Again, I am questioning our style of play, because I really have no idea what we’re trying to do, and our long range passing isn’t good enough to be purely counter attacking as we seem to want to be.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
For all City’s pretty play we gave it to them today by defending set pieces like $h!t.

The panicky performances of so many supposedly key players exposed how far we are from the title.

Seeing that it’s hard to believe we have the mental strength to sustain a charge in April and May. So many of ours lost their heads in a derby. They’d be wetting the bed under the pressure of the run in.

criticalanalysis

WHY DON'T WE PRESS?!

Off the ball tactics for Mourinho seems to be, 'get behind the ball if you don't have it' and on the ball it's, 'up to you guys'. No direction at all ffs.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Complete lack of composure from Lukaku throughout and especially when he could’ve rescued a point, but let’s not pretend this is a bad luck story. Completely and utterly outclassed from first minute to last. We were so scared of them, showed them that much respect that they literally came to Old Trafford and dictated the tempo throughout, looked like men against boys at points, especially in the first half.

Camilo

Can we start giving Ibra a run again? Lukaku sucked
I get the impressing Ibra is fecked and won't play past the summer - reckon he's painkillered to the teeth now. Doubt he'll get any more starts.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 13% Man Utd 1:0 Man City