PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 4:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 March 2022

James Peril

City were obviously only playing in second gear in the first half, in the second half they maintained it whilst United lacked the energy from the first half. They subbed de Bruyne early, didn’t really do any subs to save players on the bench and still got the «woheeey» from the stands. Many levels in difference of quality, they are 1st and the reds are 5th, very easy to see.

And let’s please put this Fernandes vs de Bruyne-debate to rest, it never really was one. Never mind the goals, one player dictates every game - the other one doesn’t. Yet I got shit for saying just that a few weeks ago.

Rustyspider13

Normally we come up against sides who are worse than us in quality but give us a game by working much harder. City are a team who are better in terms of both quality and workrate and this is the result. Just thoroughly outmatched in all areas of the pitch.

I don't see any way out of this hole other than giving a good manager carte blanche over who he can sign and more importantly who he can sell no matter the price. For once, the owners need to not think about the cost-benefit analysis of these 'assets' and just bin players who aren't good enough. Until then we'll always get these games where we don't even look like we're in the same league.

I think I'll boot up Elden Ring now, at least I can do something about the shite that happens to me there instead of being dumbfounded and numb at the screen.

BarstoolProphet

Such a long way off the top teams it's depressing. Probably need three summer windows to get close.
I'm not so sure about that. We need proper coaching first and foremost. The attitude and workrate are so remarkably different. Also scouting/transfer team. No point in saying "we need x amount of summers.." when we waste it on completely talentless players like Telles, AWB and Maguire.

croadyman

Predict another massacre when that Anfield game does eventually happen next month

always_hoping

One of this sports biggest mysteries will be how Solskjaer managed to lead that group of United players to win the last three derbies in the Etihad Stadium

Worst part about today was City didn't have to work hard to score any of their goals and i won't be surprised if Liverpool beat them in the Etihad Stadium next month.

Top 4 gone now for United and CL campaign will likely be ended at home to Atletico.

NewYorkRed

For all the folks who are on Ronaldo’s back: its not his fault.

For all the folks who thought a better manager would turn it around: you’re wrong.

We are a terribly run club, and need change at the very top. That.Is.It.

I’m sad today, but by no means surprised.

SER19

Probably sums up exactly where we are.

Started well with decent tactics from a decent manager, able to match the best in moments. But in the bigger picture, far too many individual errors and a lack of character that is glaring and deep rooted.

Thiagoal

Have totally lost any emotion towards this team- the quicker this season ends the better

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't mind losing. It's obvious they're much better than us. But we're always tee up the opponent's with catalogues of errors, usually involving our Captain. That's what does my head in.

mu4c_20le

I think I'll boot up Elden Ring now, at least I can do something about the shite that happens to me there instead of being dumbfounded and numb at the screen.
Mate, not even a naked Elden Ring run can give me the masochist feels that supporting this club does.

Superunknown

Very disappointing second half. The first half performance was alright, actually. Not great defensively, but we were playing ok when we had the ball and I definitely think we could have scored another. The way the heads went down after the third is just...utter shite, though. You can't do that at this level. I thought the professionalism in the second half was very poor. The fans have every right to feel let down after a performance like this.

There are also too many players who have proven, or who are in the process of proving, that they are out of their depth. Every starting player and everyone on the bench should feel that their spot is up for grabs. The changes that we need to undergo in the Summer are frighteningly huge...there's so much work to be done. In terms of transfer windows needed to get the club to where it needs to be, we're talking 3 or 4, minimum.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
First half good.

Second half inexcusable.

Last 15 minutes embarrassing
My thoughts as well.

Also like to add Rashford and Lingard can both feck off. No way blaming them for the defeat but have never seen 2 more lacklustre displays from substitutes in all my time. If the rest aren't good enough fair enough. At least the effort was there. They a
made a horrible day unbearable.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good first half surprisingly, although in the end nothing new learned:

- As every team knows we are terrible in defensive transitions and defensive pressing
- AWB is not a united fullback. Hes a good tackler, but has neither the mentality nor the talent for a top 4 team. Same with Maguire
- its clear there are only a handfull of players in this team who are up for a fight, unfortunately half of them just are not united quality (mcfred, telles)
- Think its clear Jesse and Rashford do not have the mentality to match their talent and for that neither are united (a top united) quality

All in all nothing new learned, we are what we are. Hopefully in the summer we can ship a lot out, but I doubt it.
Agree about the mentality part, talent is not enough. The great United sides, some were not the most talented, but had heart and fought to the end for the cause. You need a strong mentality to play for this club. Watching Liverpool yesterday, City today, there is a focus about them, they know what the target is and nothing will stop them.

Marcus

If the club is not interested in football, why should we?

croadyman

One of this sports biggest mysteries will be how Solskjaer managed to lead that group of United players to win the last three derbies in the Etihad Stadium

Worst part about today was City didn't have to work hard to score any of their goals and i won't be surprised if Liverpool beat them in the Etihad Stadium next month.

Top 4 gone now for United and CL campaign will likely be ended at home to Atletico.
Yeah Atletico will put us to the sword and don't be surprised if Suarez is the one to really rub salt in the wounds

House Mkhitaryan

Looked decent first half. I really don't understand why the entire team looks exhausted after 45 minutes. There was no organized press in the second half at all. They made it so easy for City. And you see it against lower quality teams as well. I can't accept that the entire squad just doesn't want to give an effort. It has to be coaching and/or conditioning.

MUFC OK

Ronaldo the problem lads.

You’re as good as your worst player and we’ve got 3 or 4 starters who are fecking shit. Rangnick appointment looks more and more like a shocker each day.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When are we going to dominate a guardiola team? When. Not once have we dominated a guardiola team like he has dominated us since 2009. Terrible really.

Marcus

Can't wait for investors to just give up and let the Glazers hold on to junk shares.

90 + 5min

Ok first half. Outplayed second half. Zero character. Zero football knowledge. Zero determination. Zero zero zero.
And still, there will be those blaming manager when lot of our players are so bad in every way.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The board have to be ruthless in the summer, do not renew contract, do not extend contracts ( you earn the right for that), get rid of the wasters.
I imagine the players themselves will be keen to move on if they can't play the system required. Many of these players aren't bad. They just don't fit the new approach and have been badly coached for too long and deskilled.

Gopher Brown

These full roast dinners at half time really need to be rethought. I heard Fred had double helpings of pudding which really slowed him down

meamth

Really poor tactics to match them.

We should've parked the bus from beginning and counter them from the start, and then apply pressing in the 2nd half.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Spineless. Gutless. No fight.

I'd like to see the running stats for today, abysmal.

AWB - Shit
Maguire - Shit
McT - Shit

Fred - subpar
Lindelof - subpar

Bruno - avg, goes missing in big games
Pogba - avg, goes missing in big games

Lingard - wasn't arsed
Rashford - hopeless
Wouldn't have Lingard near the bench even now. Let Hannibal come on for him.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
City were obviously only playing in second gear in the first half, in the second half they maintained it whilst United lacked the energy from the first half. They subbed de Bruyne early, didn’t really do any subs to save players on the bench and still got the «woheeey» from the stands. Many levels in difference of quality, they are 1st and the reds are 5th, very easy to see.

And let’s please put this Fernandes vs de Bruyne-debate to rest, it never really was one. Never mind the goals, one player dictates every game - the other one doesn’t. Yet I got shit for saying just that a few weeks ago.
The problem with Fernandes is his demeanour.

To play for Manchester Utd. whilst earning millions a year, what a lucky man you are. Yet you come across as a complete cnut. A disgrace to the shirt and the club.

manichester

The Glazers are the problem but they will not be going anywhere until they have taken as much money out of the club as possible.

.Phil1968

Now the anger has subsided I can just feel depressed about our team. No characters in the team no passion nobody getting angry . Oh for a Robbo Keano Whiteside Rooney in that second half.

Vaultech

When are we going to dominate a guardiola team? When. Not once have we dominated a guardiola team like he has dominated us since 2009. Terrible really.
When Utd finally hire a coach that can play possessive attacking football.

Also when Utd fans stop calling progressive managers the hipsters' choice.

siw2007

Competitive first half but distinctly second best in the 2nd. City were fabulous, we were completely outplayed in the end, especially that torturous final 20min. Defensively, it was a tough afternoon, Bruno was well short as was others. Other than Sancho, who looked on City’s level at times, there are no real positives for us to take away, it’s another reality check on how far we have to go to get back to the top.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 57% of 221 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw