PL W FA Premier League

Queens Park Rangers 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 January 2015

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd be surprised if LVG was really happy with how it went after the change, if he is then he's a fool. We looked unbelievable susceptible in defence. QPR are the pits in this league, a better team would have punished us today.
If he hadn't changed it we wouldn't have won. He has to decide if he is happy not losing or actually winning. If he is worried against the big teams fair enough, but not against the lower teams.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Yes because our team looks so balanced with 3-5-2 doesn't it, Jesus wept.
He is right though. Truth is the team isn't in good form right now and especially with our defence we will struggle with both formations. Our injuries are a big part of the problem too, a settled team could and would look much better in any formation or area. Will be a pretty tough season imo and in summer we need to adress the issues, especially the defence.

rooneyaldo

previously Cardiff, Wales. Now Montreal, Canada
DDG was brilliant as usual, strange that I expect it from him now, smalling was the best defender, didn't do badly, Jones looks more and more like Luis in terns of playing style every day, position less but make some really energetic bursts when he wants to, I'd rather he played a Toure role from now on against smaller teams, he could cause real problems, but I don't see him as a good CB option. Rojo is not doing himself any favours at all, slightly better positionally, but is genuinely not the best defender.

Valencia still looks shot of confidence, doesn't even want to try his one dimensional burst, he seems lost in terms of decision making, but an efforted performance either way. Carrick did his job quietly and well but needs to be more involved when then goes badly for me. Mata was hidden and anonymous, but not aided by the fact he was playing a deep lying midfielder position. ADM IS NOT A STRIKER! His passing ability is a lot better than people say, its just not his best asset, but he needs to play further back. Falcao is the unluckiest striker on the earth and Rooney as usual puts in a shift out of position.

What would I change?

Ddg must start obviously, but with Rojo and Jones as full backs with Carrick and Evans inside, there is a more familiar formation and base.

Blind needed to start, he's a mobile Carrick and due to the physicality of this game, I'd start Fellaini next to Blind with ADM ahead of him and Rooney up top. Leaves just two positions, the left and right midfielders should be Mata and Herrera..
which game were you watching?

Kostur

海尔的老板
He is right though. Truth is the team isn't in good form right now and especially with our defence we will struggle with both formations. Our injuries are a big part of the problem too, a settled team could and would look much better in any formation or area. Will be a pretty tough season imo and in summer we need to adress the issues, especially the defence.
Why the team isn't in a good form then? Why isn't he improving the form of the team, if it's not in a good form? We've been in much, much bigger injury crisis before and we didn't look that shit as we have in 2015.

Maybe constant playing players out of their position is doing something nasty to their form?

Sam

God, the bullshit never fecking stops, we're a walking balance with 352 where we create nothing and still look shit in defence.

We'll play this shit against Cambridge, won't we?
Well thats not true is it?

We looked instantly more vulnerable today when we switched away from the 3-5-2. A better team would have scored against us.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
LvG's between a rock and a hard place. We afford too much space in MF in a diamond, and look lobotomized going forward in a 3-5-2.

If he sticks with a 3-5-2 AdM cannot play striker-that much is certain, and Carrick should play in the middle of the back 3. That would help the fluidity going forward.

DomesticTadpole

Well thats not true is it?

We looked instantly more vulnerable today when we switched away from the 3-5-2. A better team would have scored against us.
I think a better side will beat us anyway now. Rooney looks knackered. We have Falcao up front whose confidence is shot to pieces. I would rather go down trying to win the game. Problem is LvG will never admit he is wrong and is quick to take the praise for his tactical genius when we win. Yet when it goes wrong he will not take the criticism.

DomesticTadpole

LvG's between a rock and a hard place. We afford too much space in MF in a diamond, and look lobotomized going forward in a 3-5-2.

If he sticks with a 3-5-2 AdM cannot play striker-that much is certain, and Carrick should play in the middle of the back 3. That would help the fluidity going forward.
I would prefer Carrick in defense and Rooney back up front, somebody who can actually put good chances away. He is wasted in midfield.

Sam

I think a better side will beat us anyway now. Rooney looks knackered. We have Falcao up front whose confidence is shot to pieces. I would rather go down trying to win the game. Problem is LvG will never admit he is wrong and is quick to take the praise for his tactical genius when we win. Yet when it goes wrong he will not take the criticism.
What, you mean like today where he changed the formation, and we won?

Hmmmm.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Why the team isn't in a good form then? Why isn't he improving the form of the team, if it's not in a good form? We've been in much, much bigger injury crisis before and we didn't look that shit as we have in 2015.

Maybe constant playing players out of their position is doing something nasty to their form?
I don't know, but it's probably not that easy. I agree that he shouldn't play some players in weird positions, but that's also not the reason why Rooney looked like a pub player today and couldn't make easy passes. Di Maria is after his injury also far away from his best, wouldn't be shocked if his free role could be a positive thing in a few weeks, but i prefer him in midfield too.
And I don't remember a season where we had that many injuries to be honest, the last years weren't great either (which should be a big concern for us), but this year is just a complete joke. If you just talking about earlier this season, then I agree, but it's not like we looked fantastic before, the main difference was we scored from those 2,3 chances we had and that was enough to win a lot of games. Right now we are wasting those opportunities and our attacking players are of course to blame for that too. Falcao for example should have scored today in any formation.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I would prefer Carrick in defense and Rooney back up front, somebody who can actually put good chances away. He is wasted in midfield.
Yep. Why he didn't start off flip-flopping AdM and Rooney is beyond me. Carrick in a back 3 weakens us a little in defense, but is balanced by actually having a CB who can go forward with some confidence.

DomesticTadpole

What, you mean like today where he changed the formation, and we won?

Hmmmm.
He did, but this formation has not been right for a while, we have not beaten teams we are capable of beating, then get beaten, maybe luckily, but still beaten by Southampton and looked dire. He is always saying about entertaining, or that is what he said when he first came in. We are not entertaining playing 3-5-2, or not if he insists of playing players in their wrong positions, where they aren't comfortable.

DomesticTadpole

Yep. Why he didn't start off flip-flopping AdM and Rooney is beyond me. Carrick in a back 3 weakens us a little in defense, but is balanced by actually having a CB who can go forward with some confidence.
Can't be as weak as having Evans in there. Looks like it will roll on summer and hope we get in CL for it all to be sorted. As long as he goes to his usual formation and not buy players for 3-5-2.

MoskvaRed

You set out the team to get the most out of your own players and, in certain circumstances, to counteract the opposition. Since we were playing one of the worst teams in the league today, let's disregard the latter. So can anyone seriously argue than 3-5-2 is getting the most out of the players available? Our best striker in midfield, alongside a 33 year old Carrick?

With very little pace ahead of them and no consistent widemen, it means we rely on goal of the season type passing moves (think of that goal against City in the community shield 2011) or opposition mistakes. And, as in the first half today, it is like watching paint dry.

Nathan

Absolutely abysmal performance - we should have won 5-0. Really shocked at what I saw, expected better after the Southampton performance but instead it looked much the same, poor passing, decision making poor, generally very poor. De Gea again did his job well - yes we won but it was touch and go for long periods of the game Qpr could have got a result for sure

jem

I hope today was the death and berrial of Di Maria as a striker.
It beggars belief that Van Gaal would ever play him there. He just looks so much more dangerous playing behind the strikers. Keep him there, and we'll start getting a return on the 59 million (I do wish he would lay off the long range shots though.)

Mali_Zeus

Didnt watch the game
Why didnt Shaw and Smalling play today? Injured?

And did we change to 4-4-2 in the 2nd or people just think that?

Last edited:

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Simple yes or no please: If I know the result but didn't see the game, is it worth watching? Will I enjoy it?

NK86

Change to 442 made a hell of a difference, although we did have a 5 minute period with it where we looked like we might do another Leicester. It took us a while to work out who was supposed to be covering their wingers.

DDG - standard really. Couple of decent saves but not much to do.
Evans - terrible as usual and gifted them what should have been a goal. I hope never to see him in a United shirt again.
Rojo - looked fairly assured and composed against a striker clearly targeting him.
Jones - some good runs, fairly standard performance.
Blind - played very well, again. Brilliant pass to Wilson at the end and to Falcao a few minutes before that.
Valencia - someone needs to teach him a new trick. Pass it inside, or flick it with the outside of your boot and kick it as hard as you can is not going to cut it much longer.
Rooney - as bad as i've seen him in a long time. Gave the ball away in dangerous positions far too many times.
Mata - reasonable game but had to come off, we were getting bullied.
Carrick - showed his age. Was turned and left for dead a few times, and did very little other than sideways passing today.
Di Maria - IS. NOT. A. STRIKER. Looked twice the player when he dropped back.
Falcao - lovely movement, unlucky QPR got minor touches on most of his best chances. Still should have scored.
Wilson - pace stretched QPR and took the sting out of the game.
Fellaini - came on and threw his weight about well.
Jones was horrible. Made some absolute shocking passes. And his continued attempts to mimick Rio and keep punting long balls ahead is maddening. We lost the ball so many times because of this.

NK86

Who would have thought players in the right position, tempo, quick passing, pace and high pressing would make us more exciting.

Loved Wilson's cameo. 4231 with him, Januzaj, Rooney and Di Maria would be :drool:
Loved Wilson's performance. But does he have a problem judging depth? Got caught out under a long ball so many times and by such a big distance was funny and embarassing at the same time.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Thought today was okay to be honest. But then again I was the only positive poster at half time!

We could've been winning 2-0 at half time, and although the penetration and creativity was very poor, a hard working QPR didn't give us much problems. Once we reverted back to 4-4-2 we saw a big difference and deserved the win. We'd have lost that game last season, lets remain positive.

Positive
Wilson's performance.
Fellaini's performance.
Jones' and Rojo's performances.
de Gea's world class.
Good win.

Negative
3-5-2.
di Maria as a striker.
Rooney's distribution in midfield.
Evans is shit.

JoaquinJoaquin

DDG was brilliant as usual, strange that I expect it from him now, smalling was the best defender, didn't do badly, Jones looks more and more like Luis in terns of playing style every day, position less but make some really energetic bursts when he wants to, I'd rather he played a Toure role from now on against smaller teams, he could cause real problems, but I don't see him as a good CB option. Rojo is not doing himself any favours at all, slightly better positionally, but is genuinely not the best defender.

Valencia still looks shot of confidence, doesn't even want to try his one dimensional burst, he seems lost in terms of decision making, but an efforted performance either way. Carrick did his job quietly and well but needs to be more involved when then goes badly for me. Mata was hidden and anonymous, but not aided by the fact he was playing a deep lying midfielder position. ADM IS NOT A STRIKER! His passing ability is a lot better than people say, its just not his best asset, but he needs to play further back. Falcao is the unluckiest striker on the earth and Rooney as usual puts in a shift out of position.

What would I change?

Ddg must start obviously, but with Rojo and Jones as full backs with Carrick and Evans inside, there is a more familiar formation and base.

Blind needed to start, he's a mobile Carrick and due to the physicality of this game, I'd start Fellaini next to Blind with ADM ahead of him and Rooney up top. Leaves just two positions, the left and right midfielders should be Mata and Herrera..
What are you smoking mate? Blind did start and played very well. Smalling didn't even play :wenger:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Puh, had to give this game a miss just before kick-off, then went to check the caf thinking we lost. Scary!! So we were shit and need to ditch 352 but we already knew that!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
No need to give him credit, he'll go straight back to the 3-5-2 next week, I'll put money on it. He did it in other games this season and he'll no doubt do it again in the future.

Though annoying, I'll wait and see what happens with the ins and outs in the summer before I truly make my mind up on LVG.
Didn't see the match but we've looked better pretty much every time with 4 at the back so if VG is so stubborn, why change the formation from 3 at all? Just wondering because frankly, it's obvious it doesn't work at all and the manager must see its not benefitting the team.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 500 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Q.P.R. win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Q.P.R. 0:3 Man Utd
  • 14% Q.P.R. 0:2 Man Utd