PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 March 2019

RepardReece

No width and poor in the first half. Few chances that we should've buried but didn't.
Changed dramatically in the second especially when Dalot came on. Added pace and intensity, completely changed our attack.

Pogba and Rashford very quiet, think it'll do Pogba good to get some rest during the week as he's suspending from the PSG match. Come back strong next week against Arsenal. Think playing a deeper role due to Pereira being there affected his performance as well. Hopefully Herrera's back for Arsenal, we need Pogba at his best. Regarding Rashford, don't think he was fully fit from his injury and seems tired. Don't think we should start him against PSG, needs rest.

Lukaku AGAIN making up for missed chances in the first half with 2 goals in the second. It's almost like he needs a 45minute warm up. Pereira improved in the second half as well, poor in the first. Everyone generally. Shaw keeps improving.

It does still feel like OGS is returning us to the SAF days. Standard 3-2 win against Southampton as well.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Pogba taking the penalty is the right decision. There is no room for sentimentality in the premier league, especially when a game is still in the balance.

If he'd let Lukaku take it and he missed you'd all be freaking out that we shouldn't have let Lukaku take it :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Disgraceful from Pogba not to give the ball to Rom imo. Clearly frustrated at being asked to play second half deeper and wanted to be the main man, his yellow too :houllier:

Was a good game to watch but a poor team performance with some individual stand outs. Still i only care about the points for this run in.
Bit silly of you, it's the last min of a tight game, it's not an end of season game when we're 2 or 3 up.

You get the job done, no pissing about.
Although of course he didn't :lol:

Camilo

Is your name Andy Walker? Bloody hell. They were nowhere near scoring except for the two strikes and some hoofballs after 2-2. We could have been 2-0 up within minutes of the start and then they would have been toast, as they have been against most teams in the league.
Come off it! On another day they have two penalties in that first half. Their keeper made one good save from Rom and had the ball kicked right at him a few minutes later, and that was all we managed first half! They were well organised and pretty much forced us to change what we were trying to do (the Sanchez injury "helped", but ultimately I think Ole was going to have to change something). This was as good a performance as one could really expect from a relegation battling team away from home against the form-team of the league. They were nowhere near scoring?! Neither were we!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What a fecking game! We can’t be crisp every single match especially with injuries. Sometimes you just gotta win it ugly and with spirit. Fantastic from the lads.

Vadim

Get in, huge result. Ole’s at the wheel!

I bet @kouroux is gutted Lukaku has scored four goals in two games :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Delighted with the win. Delighted for Lukaku.

Still not sold on Andreas. He seems to get nervous. After he scored his goal the confidence was high and he did some good things. Then when Southampton got their second, he got nervous again.

McTominah was poor i thought. Maybe he is tired.

Rashford looked very tired. As did Pogba. Both need a rest i feel.

Fred although only on for a few minutes tried to make a forward pass.

We were overrun in MF and that is why we struggled. Pogba was coming deep just to control the play. The amount of times Young played it long to Lukaku because no one was showing for the ball. I think if we had Herrera and Matic, we would win this comfortably.
Rashford didn't play much midweek, but he has had a knock.
Pogba has 8 days until his next game.

Both will need bigger performances v Arsenal if we're to get a decent result.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Don't think what I said is controversial? For at least 30 minutes first half we were proper under the cosh. Rest of my post was positive.
And what did they create? We create a bag of chances, as I said, had more shots, more possession etc. Help me understand in what way they were better than us?

RC89

Two really nice goals from Lukaku and a cracker from Pereira. Pogba should have let Lukaku take the pen though.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Completely deserved 3 points. Shaky sure.. but that second half was all United besides that free-kick. Lukaku was a fecking beast inside that 16-yard box. Todays funniest was a dwarf at Southampton being angry trying to kick Lukaku! Lukaku didn't even notice he got hit!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I can’t understand any of the negativity today. So many extenuating circumstances. Huge injury crisis, lots of games in a short period; Soton scoring screamers. And yet we pulled it out, with three academy players in midfield. It was dramatic, it was emotional, it was spirited, it was United!!!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Come off it! On another day they have two penalties in that first half. Their keeper made one good save from Rom and had the ball kicked right at him a few minutes later, and that was all we managed first half! They were well organised and pretty much forced us to change what we were trying to do (the Sanchez injury "helped", but ultimately I think Ole was going to have to change something). This was as good a performance as one could really expect from a relegation battling team away from home against the form-team of the league. They were nowhere near scoring?! Neither were we!
I mean we obviously disagree. Just in the first 5 we could have scored two. They created virtually nothing. Someone else pointed out they had 3 shots on goal all game.

MUM

I'm actually shocked by how good they were. Organised, hard working, their passing was crisp and precise (including some excellent cross field balls), kept us pinned for long stretches and constantly looked dangerous.
If it wasn't for Lukaku, Ward Prowse would have been MOTM. His set piece delivery was immense.
Agreed, we dodge one there, but what a great result.

RedMilo

Vintage Utd, game of of couple of setbacks but having the never say die attitude overcomes. Not Lukaku biggest fan but his finishing was excellent, same for Andreas. Dalot for me made the difference going forward when he came on.

kps88

Southampton are a fecking disgrace.
How are they down there if they can raise their game like that?
They've been cheating their fans.
Not really. They barely created anything and have zero threat up front. Can't score wonder goals every week.

siw2007

Great game and 5 great goals. Didn’t think we played that well but could have easily scored 5 or 6, and were a bit unlucky to concede from two very good shots.

Frustrating game from Lukaku. Was excellent in spurts and scored two goals, but was in between a lot of poor control and silly turnovers of possession.

But inspired sub from Ole, Dalot really made a difference.

Smores

What sort of a half witted post is this? Christ. Pogba is the designated penalty taker. Of course he takes it. Have an agenda much?
Yeah imagine letting a player (a striker) on a hatrick take a penalty, totally unheard off and has never happened ever huh

Pogba last season or one before gave away his pen to someone (can't remember who) and it was hailed as a mature act of a captain. Who knew he should have been criticised for that

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People saying Lukaku should have taken the pen don't seem to remember when he used to take pens for us...
He's not good at them but still think he should've got it.

Guess it was the mature decision, if they believe Pogba to be the best pen taker though. It's not like we were cruising.

Drawfull

And what did they create? We create a bag of chances, as I said, had more shots, more possession etc. Help me understand in what way they were better than us?
They scored? Had more possession? Played minute 5 to minute 35 on the edge of our box?

There's a bunch of negative shite posted on here during and after every game. To pick on my post, which was positive, is fecking bizarre, but crack on.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Pogba was right to take the pen. It's about getting the results and no sentimentality.

RC89

Phew.

I have a lot more faith in us coming back into a game we're losing now that Solskjaer is in charge. It's nice that we don't revert to hoof ball to Fellaini the second we go a goal down.
Agreed. Except for Young, hoofball was all he played.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can’t understand any of the negativity today. So many extenuating circumstances. Huge injury crisis, lots of games in a short period; Soton scoring screamers. And yet we pulled it out, with three academy players in midfield. It was dramatic, it was emotional, it was spirited, it was United!!!
Absolutely right. Proper United performance under difficult circumstances.
All that counts is three points. The rest is just froth.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Nice change of tactics second half post-Sanchez. Basically went with back three with Dalot and Shaw wing back, with Young encouraged to support Dalot from right centre back. Our right flank was the best it has been for a long while because of it. Only issue then was Pogba had to be in the double pivot until Fred came on to free him up and be the attacking midfielder.

Manager deserves a lot of credit for the second half, as the tactical shift worked.

AJ10

Good win given the injuries. Our defence clearly missed matic and Herrera's protection, hopefully they're back soon.

As for Southampton, they gave it all for their cup final and now watch them not even put in a effort vs Spurs and pool.

minoo-utd

Lukaku is grabbing his chance unlike Sanchez. Now even when Martial coming back from injury I'd still pick Lukaku at number 9 with Rashford or Martial on the wing.

Scholesgoals

Worst commentator I've had to listen to in a while. Absolutely terrible. He went dead quiet when the Soton went 2-1 down.

I would love if they go down because they always seem to play out of their skin against us, both away and at home.

pahahaha i was upset that i lost the second half stream of him. i bet he wasnt quite as vociferous about perreiras goal as he was about valery. go and have a shortcake you bitter sod

Tony247

Fergie days are back! This kind of wins OT and Man Utd fans are used to.

We started well but then lost the control of midfield. Their first goal looks great from one angle but close inspection tells you DDG should have easily saved that. He has saved much tougher shots. Not his day today.

- Lukaku missed a sitter and many opportunities fell blank. But good thing that the team was creating opportunities. His two golas, especially the first one from tight angle were excellent. He kept getting involved, ran hard and at the end reaped the benefits.
- Rashford looked tired. May be not fully recovered
- Pogba, looked tired. Missed the penalty. It should have been Lukaku's. I said earlier, even Pogba was scoring penalties the goalkeepers were predicting his shots correctly. Need to work on it.
- Luke shaw consistent as usual
- Lindelof solid. Glad to see winning balls in air
- Smalling and Young had a day to forget. Smalling got away from penalty. Young misfiring all day.
- McT was okay. He needs to gather courage and move forward, be aggresive, get involved in attack. He has the quality but he prefers to sit back
- Perriera was awful in first half. But what a wonderful strike that was and assist to lukaku for second goal.
- Dalot brought much needed energey in second half. He is the future and he can be a good backup RW.
- Sanchez showed little glimps of talent but overall very poor. Most probably he is done.
- Fred came on for last 9 mins but what a beautiful touch and pass to Lukaku for 3rd goal. He did his bit and he and the manager should be happy

Lastly, Ole. His substitutions were all good. Most importantly tactical change he made in half time won us the game. He made Pogba drop back and freed up Parriera. And then put Dalot in right and let Young step back from attack. Both small but important tactical changes brought us back in the game.

Very well done.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yeah imagine letting a player (a striker) on a hatrick take a penalty, totally unheard off and has never happened ever huh

Pogba last season or one before gave away his pen to someone (can't remember who) and it was hailed as a mature act of a captain. Who knew he should have been criticised for that
The half witted part was you calling Pogba a disgrace for it. And then framing it as an act of petulance for being asked to play deep. Basically creating a malicious narrative that you had zero evidence to support.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 87% of 713 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 496 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw