PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ah yeah, Pochettino never seriously competing for any trophy, getting knocked out of both domestic competitions very quickly and having a record of 1-1-4 in his last 6 games is definitely the right option.
But Kane and Alli apart we have a better squad than they do.

What could he have done with our squad?

Dinghy

Expect score twice
Defended well
Won almost every 50/50
Created a lot more chances

Yeah feck all
We had to create the chances for them. All of them (3) came from our players while we ourselves missed 5 clear cut chances. Red card out of nothing. Biggest fluke I've seen all season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I stand by what I said, Wolves are game raising twats. Hope to god they put a shift in like that on the last day of the season but I won't hold my breath.

Heinzesight

Just so disappointing to start so well, looking great...then to capitulate the way we did at 1-1 is unforgivable.

Wolves have one eye in their semi and we looked half-arsed, scared and devoid of any ideas. I’m not blaming the coaching staff but those aimless long balls to Lukaku should’ve been stopped after the 10th time it didn’t work! When I see Lukaku giving thumbs up to his 20th long ball into him that was aimless I just want to smack him. You give your team mates a proper ear bashing if they keep making the same mistakes but that’s the mentality of some of these players. If it’s not good enough tell your team mates not a pointless thumbs up.

We don’t seem to have anyone out there on the pitch to calm us down or give a bollocking when needed.

Coops73

I'm not surprised that people are blaming Pogba again. He was the only one - and I mean literally the only one - trying to pass forward or find a final ball. It is so unfortunate that he has useless players like Young in his team. This is not a game we'd have lost if we had 11 players on the pitch.
The line “useless players like Young”is the only line that holds any truth in that post for me.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You are a bit like me. I worry for Ole, that he won't get the help he needs, that they will not listen to him, that if we don't get CL they will sign some big named washed up player hoping to recoup some of the lost money through merchandising and sponsorship.
Ole was a PR appointment by Woodward but there were better qualified managers out there.

We're the only top club that keeps hiring managers based on fecking sentiment and I'm sick of it.

We got Moyes because he had "longevity" at Everton and now we have appointed Ole because he is a playing legend who "gets" the club.

We made a pig's ear of appointing Mourinho, who was clearly gagging for the job when Fergie retired and he still had his mojo then. We finally get him in and waste the whole of this season by failing to back him in the transfer market despite knowing full well what his modus operandi is.

Meanwhile, the two teams duking it out at the top have Guardiola and Klopp while the team likely to finish third have Poch. Even Arsenal made a fecking sensible appointment in Emery who has a track record of winning things in relevant competitions.

We're a laughing stock.

bdspeedy

Give Ole time. Hopefully he'll get things sorted. This is on Woodward. The whole Ole misdirection bought him some time, but Woodward needs to go. I don't care if he's kept on to sell sponsorships, shirts and merch but he is inept at and has no business near any football dealings. Eddie out!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We were the better side, we played using better tactics.
We had shear bad luck, that happens - we went down to 10 men but still kept fighting.
IMO Not Ole's fault in any way, our players put a good shift in. I didn't even have a problem with Lukaku, who was unlucky to not get a brace in the 1st half.
I hope that’s an ironic post or you’re a City fan

TheReligion

Abusive
Wolves are a nice little side but bet they can hardly believe their luck. We did everything we could to help them win tonight. Didn't take our chances and gifted them two goals with mistake after mistake and a stupid sending off.

Betson

How long before Ole is left with the same dilemma with Pogba that Mourino had , when he is good he is very good but those games where he is good are few and far between. Do you stay playing him hoping you might get on one of those days where he looks interested or do you bench him and hope Madrid or someone come in a big offer in the summer.

Infra-red

Poor performance overall. The players seem jaded, physically and mentally.

Starting to look like we'll be limping over the line rather than finishing the season strongly.

chiz2kul

Why is anyone genuinely surprised about the result? Last 5 games were total dross so this was definitely coming.

Honeymoon period is well and truly over and reality dawns for OGS. Young, Lingard, Fred - hell Smalling/Jones combo cannot start in any team with Top 4 ambitions. Simple as.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Give Ole time. Hopefully he'll get things sorted. This is on Woodward. The whole Ole misdirection bought him some time, but he needs to go. I don't care if he's kept on to sell sponsorships, shirts and merch but he is inept at and has no business near any football dealings. Eddie out!
I hope you are right and the upsurge wasn't just relieve from the players that Jose had gone. He definitely needs someone to advise him on transfers without Ed sticking his oar in.

Wheato

Too slow, too predictable, no creativity, Pogba wasn't arsed, Lingard looks like he has concrete in his boots, Young is a liability, not enough players putting in a shift. We looked completely out of sorts and mentally exhausted. If we were a cycling team, I'd be googling EPO right now. Good job we have an easy game next!

RedGib

Stupid....an absolute shocking performance by everyone but McTominay....some pathetic decision making by players that should know better! Gifted them both goals, they weren’t in the game until Fred gifted them the first then the second albeit after young being a cock came from our throw in and a brainfart from De Gea and smalling....Young might have just cost the club over £30m in champions league money so fining him a weeks wages will seem like a drop in the ocean but it’s the least that should happen

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ah yeah, Pochettino never seriously competing for any trophy, getting knocked out of both domestic competitions very quickly and having a record of 1-1-4 in his last 6 games is definitely the right option.
:lol:

The bloke had built a better squad than what we have on a shoe string and guided them to generally better finishes than us. They also play a far more attractive brand of football. I think he's reached the end of a cycle with them but that's not to detract from the job he's done.

It's all elementary now in any case. He will continue to excel at whichever club he plies his trade. Bugger knows what'll happen with United. Probably more of the same...

Truckham

The only way we will ever reach the top of English football again is if the Glazers leave...

GiddyUp

Anyone who wants Liverpool to win the league should be banned in here .. except if you are a Liverpool fan that is
Yep. A season in the Europa may also be a blessing in disguise for the club if the rumors are true that we are looking for hungry young players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Poor performance overall. The players seem jaded, physically and mentally.

Starting to look like we'll be limping over the line rather than finishing the season strongly.
People laugh about the jaded thing, but if you have spent four or five years training for possession football and then someone comes in and has you training for fast paced counter attacking football, then yes they could be jaded. He needs to sign players used to playing that way and then who is left of the squad will start pre-season training the right way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But Kane and Alli apart we have a better squad than they do.

What could he have done with our squad?
Since when? We both suck in center midfield. Their centerbacks are worlds better than ours. Eriksen is basically equal to Pogba. We both suck at right back. We have a better goal keeper. They have better attackers (and more developed).

What could Pochettino have done with our squad? Not sure, but he certainly wouldn't have 15 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses in all competitions during that time. Ole's literally had title winning form since he's taken charge. It was never going to be sustained. Just like our current bad run of 3 losses in our last 4 isn't going to stay this bad and Spurs' run of 1 win and 4 losses in their last 6 isn't going to remain.

LInkash

We had more shots, shots on target and possession.

If we didn't go down to 10 men, we wouldn't have lost, would most likely have won.

Irwin99

Man Utd started very well and created chances. This is a game of very fine margins.

This should help Spurs and Arsenal. We wont take advantage.
It was a really mixed game. First twenty minutes of each half we were on top but they are a good side Wolves, and they can pass the ball really well.

People will talk about the dross, but the likes of De Gea and Pogba are completely bereft.

De Gea looks like he's going through a similar decline to Lloris. He was a gutless disgrace on their winner.

It's hard to be too angry anymore. This is just a reversion to type after a honeymoon period.

We will regret the Solskjaer appointment soon enough. Should have got someone with major pedigree to oversee the gutting of the squad that is needed instead of this "someone who gets the club" bollocks.
I blamed him as much as Fred for the first goal but I saw the reply and Fred actually signalled for the ball so that's on Fred but for the second he just had no authority or bravery whatsoever. He gifted another chance to Wolves when he took his eye of the ball at one point.

I'm not too downhearted about our top four chances mainly because Spurs and Chelsea are looking very suspect but I think we will have to win virtually all our remaining games. Shaw's suspension is a big blow.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol:

The bloke had built a better squad than what we have on a shoe string and guided them to generally better finishes than us. They also play a far more attractive brand of football. I think he's reached the end of a cycle with them but that's not to detract from the job he's done.

It's all elementary now in any case. He will continue to excel at whichever club he plies his trade. Bugger knows what'll happen with United. Probably more of the same...
He's done a good job, not saying that. Saying there's not actually all that much to suggest he'd be the right man at United, because there has been more than a few key parts to him that just do not line up with the demands of being a United manager.

Jacob

I hope Lingard and Lukaku feel miserable for missing sitters that could've made this a lot more comfortable.

logan99

I still do not understand the reasons why Young is still the Captain ...

Le Red

Get your shit together. It was always going to be a very difficult uphill battle for top 4. The team got a much needed morale boost and still has a lot to play for. Just think about where we'd be now if not for OGS.
Some people seem to forget how much players had to try hard in this new phase in a magnificent climb up the ladder. In such instances, injuries rear their ugly heads, legs get tired and it takes a toll on the mind as well.
This team is capable of bouncing back. Yes, it is in dire need of improvement in the next window, but that shouldn't mean rolling over and dying until summer because it's all that's been done post-SAF.
The fighting spirit has to come from the supporters too, and sadly I haven't found it here in this thread. Years of losing might be frustrating but some of you lot playing the club down should just stop.

Jeffthered

How long before Ole is left with the same dilemma with Pogba that Mourino had , when he is good he is very good but those games where he is good are few and far between. Do you stay playing him hoping you might get on one of those days where he looks interested or do you bench him and hope Madrid or someone come in a big offer in the summer.
Could we please stop focusing on one player. A midfielder at that.

Our three ' forwards' were dreadful .dreadful.

matt23

I stand by what I said, Wolves are game raising twats. Hope to god they put a shift in like that on the last day of the season but I won't hold my breath.
So are we

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd