Premier League Gameweek 3

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I know it's the scousers but there's no way that was a red card. Is a genuine challenge for the ball. It can see it easily revoked.
How is that a genuine challenge for the ball. Watching the replays it looks like he just goes to trip the player anyway.

However, even if he was going for the ball, from that angle he was, you can't just completely go through someone and say "well the ball was the other side of him and that's what I was going for".

If he was correct side, missed the ball and caught the player then maybe fair enough. Wrong side, and going through the player knowing you're taking the player first isn't a genuine challenge anyway. People are talking out their arses if they think this was a genuine challenge for the ball.

ShinjiNinja26

Embarrassing from Carragher trying to claim it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity. What’s even worse is Andros Townsend sitting on the fence during all that. Shay Given the only one with a brain it seems. :lol:

AndySmith1990

Nevermind Liverpool, Newcastle are a really good team. Very impressed with their recruitment and how Howe has them playing

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why do some of you always need to remind us how shite our current players are when commenting on games that don't even involve United? Not like you don't have the entire United forum to do that.

So tedious.
:lol: true

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm amazed people are saying that will be revoked. Not a chance.

It's a proper 'in the rulebook' red card whether you think it's harsh or not.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
See, saying things like this is tempting fate.

After a dismal 20-21 where we gave Liverpool an out after losing 2-4 to them and Allison scored in another game on the last minute to give them top 4, everyone thought they are back to the grind but they almost won the quadruple next season.

Do not tempt fate, just hope they screw up. They are in the title race 100%
They aren’t winning the title with this defence. Miles off the pace and that isn’t tempting fate, it’s accepting reality. Will be lucky to get top four in my opinion.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
By Carragher's logic DOGSO can never be given because we can't know what happens in the alternative timeline where the foul didn't occur.

What a twat
It was sheer comic relief.

I wish Keane was sitting there.

cyberman

They are as much in the title race as we are. Truth is neither of us are good enough.
We have a better shot than Liverpool. They’re in the category of struggling for CL as they did last season.
It’s ok to say that. We don’t have to quantify Liverpool criticism by shitting on ourselves

mav_9me

Thanks for clearing that up. Right decision then, if maybe on the harsh side.
It feels harsh because sometimes big teams (including us) get yellows for those but reality is it should be a red always.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I told everyone here that Newcastle would be the ones to watch this season.

TheLord

It's a foul it's not a clear cut chance. Yellow was fair. Even Newcastle players were surprised to see the red card.
The rules are clear. Was it a foul? Yes - the defender clipped the forward's legs before making contact with the ball.

Was the forward denied a clear goalscoring opportunity? Yes - he was the furthest among ALL outfield players at that moment.

Then, it is a clear red.

The only way it isn't a red is if that wasn't a foul; it was a clear foul in the replays, and hence the referee made a top-notch decision. The red card was soft, but clearly a red going by the rules.

Dansk

Obviously Isak could have chosen to smash the ball off to the left for a throw-in and then squatted down to take a shit on the grass, we can't know that this wasn't what he had in mind, so there's no way of knowing if he would have chosen that over attempting to score a goal. There's every possibility that he wouldn't have prioritized scoring while rushing towards goal with the ball in a 1v1 with the keeper. How can anyone be sure that was his intent? Maybe it never crossed his mind. We simply cannot know what went through his head, he might not even be aware of where the goal was.

- Jamie Carragher

The Purley King

Embarrassing from Carragher trying to claim it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity. What’s even worse is Andros Townsend sitting on the fence during all that. Shay Given the only one with a brain it seems. :lol:
Came here to post this!
Carragher is a complete plum. Clean through on goal but is it a goal scoring opportunity? His second brain cell must be having a day off……

Shiva87

I'm amazed people are saying that will be revoked. Not a chance.

It's a proper 'in the rulebook' red card whether you think it's harsh or not.
so was the McAllister one last week. they have the Liverpool must challenge for the title brigade

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The rules are clear. Was it a foul? Yes - the defender clipped the forward's legs before making contact with the ball.

Was the forward denied a clear goalscoring opportunity? Yes - he was the furthest among ALL outfield players at that moment.

Then, it is a clear red.

The only way it isn't a red is if that wasn't a foul; it was a clear foul in the replays, and hence the referee made a top-notch decision. The red card was soft, but clearly a red going by the rules.
I repeat what's said here - spot on!

cyberman

It's a foul it's not a clear cut chance. Yellow was fair. Even Newcastle players were surprised to see the red card.
You do t have to be close on goal or have a great chance to score for it to be a goal scoring opportunity. Even if he was at a worse angle they’re last men and he just needs the opportunity to score. I don’t know why United fans are looking at this too closely

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It feels harsh because sometimes big teams (including us) get yellows for those but reality is it should be a red always.
Agreed. As it's Saudi Utd the red was going to go up first even if they're was doubt so VAR would not overturn. Of it was a player against Saudi Money Utd then ref would play on, VAR would call it not a clear and obvious error. Saudi Moneys win either way.

Welcome to the new world.

TheLord

Sound logic from Carragher.

"It's not a red becasue we don't know if it's an obvious goalscoring opportunity."

Yeah, because the only reason he didn't get through is because VVD took him out.

What a muppet.
I'm dead certain that if an IQ test was run on Carragher, he'd be in the low 70s.

The only thing he's good at is recalling facts.

mav_9me

We have a better shot than Liverpool. They’re in the category of struggling for CL as they did last season.
It’s ok to say that. We don’t have to quantify Liverpool criticism by shitting on ourselves
Maybe but we don't have much of a shot either. I'd be ecstatic with a top 4 spot

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Agreed. As it's Saudi Utd the red was going to go up first even if they're was doubt so VAR would not overturn. Of it was a player against Saudi Money Utd then ref would play on, VAR would call it not a clear and obvious error. Saudi Moneys win either way.

They're so muddled that their comments don't make sense any more! :D

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s a stonewall yellow in every game that happens. You can’t just stop a player bursting past you and they give that as a yellow every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. The first yellow is harsh, but is consistent with the new rules this season. Letter of the law this season, it’s another clear red card which the ref bottled.
The first yellow was stupid, given he was blatantly fouled and VVD and Joelinton got away with repeated dissent.

Reffing shite as ever.

Thiagoal

That’s one of the most obvious ‘clear goal scoring opportunity red cards I’ve ever seen. VVD is last man, they’re 18 yards from goal, no one covering, pass is weighted perfectly! Carragher is clearly showing bias there!

Cantona in disguise

:lol: oh dear

LordSpud

I know it's the scousers but there's no way that was a red card. Is a genuine challenge for the ball. It can see it easily revoked.
2 red cards in 2 consecutive game revoked... Not a good look for the officials it has to be said

PSV

Liverpool should be 9 men. Trent as clear a yellow was it can get, but what's the point in giving yellows for time wasting if there's a saved up yellow card offense behind it?

Virgil was a genuine attempt at the ball, but the difference that makes is 1 v 3 games out, not yellow v red.

The Firestarter

Well you can always try cry more

United Hobbit

What do we think it'll take for the heat to be turned up under Klopp and him start to come under pressure?

Idxomer

Joelinton has a license to foul as much as he wants without any yellow cards received.

Fooza

pure gold heehee, comments I like to see when scousers are angry

SAFMUTD

You do t have to be close on goal or have a great chance to score for it to be a goal scoring opportunity. Even if he was at a worse angle they’re last men and he just needs the opportunity to score. I don’t know why United fans are looking at this too closely
Maybe I'm wrong but as per my understanding you do have to have a great chance to score in order to be red. The way you're describing then any chance is literally a chance to score then it should always be a red.