Premier League Gameweek 31

mu4c_20le

Still think Tuchel is a younger more progressive LvG. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if he can get the results, but not sure our fans would love it. Much easier to admire the grass on the other side.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's certainly got the attributes looking at him recently. That said where does he play?

He looks a better number 9 than Werner which creates another headache in some ways given his price tag.
Think Werner is really only usable as a pure 9 against teams playing absurdly high lines - he looked very good against Liverpool, for instance. Remains to be seen how things could change next year, but for the moment the left sided 10 / second striker hybrid role seems to suit him best. Gets into fewer goalscoring positions but he's done pretty well to get in behind and provide assists there. Potential interchanges with Havertz also might work since the latter likes to roam about.

TheReligion

Abusive
Think Werner is really only usable as a pure 9 against teams playing absurdly high lines - he looked very good against Liverpool, for instance. Remains to be seen how things could change next year, but for the moment the left sided 10 / second striker hybrid role seems to suit him best. Gets into fewer goalscoring positions but he's done pretty well to get in behind and provide assists there. Potential interchanges with Havertz also might work since the latter likes to roam about.
Yeah I just don't see Werner as good enough infront of goal. He seems a decent enough wide forward and has a great engine and press ability but from what I've seen he doesn't look a prolific number 9 to me.

I did think in the summer you seemed to go out and spend a heck of alot of money on some square pegs to fit in round holes. Wasn't really sure what thought went into it.

All good players as such but seemed very scattergun against what you already had. Still feel that way now.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I just don't see Werner as good enough infront of goal. He seems a decent enough wide forward and has a great engine and press ability but from what I've seen he doesn't look a prolific number 9 to me.

I did think in the summer you seemed to go out and spend a heck of alot of money on some square pegs to fit in round holes. Wasn't really sure what thought went into it.

All good players as such but seemed very scattergun against what you already had. Still feel that way now.
Yeah I think that's fair enough. It's essentially been confirmed that Havertz was viewed as too good of an opportunity to pass up given the impact of the pandemic, so things might not have been properly thought through. Think as well that in retrospect it was a lot to ask of a novice manager to get them all in line and used appropriately.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Wonder how Tuchel had been for us. Id say Chelsea has a better squad and they are gonna be quite serious next season.
I’m not being funny, but this gets said about Chelsea and United every season. How’s that worked out the last two campaigns? United get consistently underrated and shit on. Chelsea are doing over a Palace side on the beach. Did you make a similar post when WBA pulverised them last week?

cyberman

Wonder how Tuchel had been for us. Id say Chelsea has a better squad and they are gonna be quite serious next season.
They have 3 wins in 7 league games. Half the fanbase for him because they have to back up Ole getting sacked, other half not convinced at all.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He's certainly got the attributes looking at him recently. That said where does he play?

He looks a better number 9 than Werner which creates another headache in some ways given his price tag.
That's not an issue. Werner can be fine on the left
The issue is puli is never fit
And timo can't hit a fecking barn door

TheReligion

Abusive
L
Yeah I think that's fair enough. It's essentially been confirmed that Havertz was viewed as too good of an opportunity to pass up given the impact of the pandemic, so things might not have been properly thought through. Think as well that in retrospect it was a lot to ask of a novice manager to get them all in line and used appropriately.
I was thinking for instance would you be any better off if Tammy had been given Werner's minutes this season and CHO had been given Ziyechs?

I don't think you need all of those players in the summer and could of invested far better elsewhere.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I was thinking for instance would you be any better off if Tammy had been given Werner's minutes this season and CHO had been given Ziyechs?

I don't think you need all of those players in the summer and could of invested far better elsewhere.
It's a valid question, but I don't really think Tammy contributes as much to the team in terms of pressing or work off the ball, plus I don't think he could be used in the sort of inside left position Werner's featured in of late. Ziyech vs. CHO is also interesting but I do think they fulfill slightly different roles - we don't really have anyone else on Ziyech's level in terms of final third passing while I view CHO as more of a pure winger.

I think we could have used another CB definitely, but at the same time I don't think there was a ton of value in that market. It's definitely fair to question the specifics but overall I don't think circumstances aligned for us to do too much better if that makes sense?

Crustanoid

It really is disgraceful how little effort most teams in the league put in against the plastic sides. Contrast this shitshow vs when they play a real team. Fvcking shambolic.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It really is disgraceful how little effort most teams in the league put in against the plastic sides. Contrast this shitshow vs when they play a real team. Fvcking shambolic.
West Brom are fighting to stay up. Palace are on holiday. Think there will be a lot of games like this.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's a valid question, but I don't really think Tammy contributes as much to the team in terms of pressing or work off the ball, plus I don't think he could be used in the sort of inside left position Werner's featured in of late. Ziyech vs. CHO is also interesting but I do think they fulfill slightly different roles - we don't really have anyone else on Ziyech's level in terms of final third passing while I view CHO as more of a pure winger.

I think we could have used another CB definitely, but at the same time I don't think there was a ton of value in that market. It's definitely fair to question the specifics but overall I don't think circumstances aligned for us to do too much better if that makes sense?
No I get that. As I say I did feel in the summer though you didn't need the specific players you brought in as you had a batch of players, like Tammy, who had done really well the previous season so I can see why things went wrong this term and with Lampard in general.

I really don't think you got recruitment right in the summer.

Pagh Wraith

Obviously he would have been high up if not top of the list of every top team in Europe looking for a coach. I would have bet on Bayern being his next destination but then we got sacked by PSG. Chelsea have looked fantastic so far under him.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Also, if Man United have a comfortable win it's because you played well. If someone else does it's because the other side rolled over.
Childish isn't it. People actually believe this stuff.

cyberman

Also, if Man United have a comfortable win it's because you played well. If someone else does it's because the other side rolled over.
Balls! We have a comfortable win and its boring so Ole must go!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not sure about that. Have you seen the moaning even when we win because we are not prime Barcelona. What is this with Benteke remembering where the net is.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Have you not been reading this forum all last year? It’s because of individual brilliance. Indeed we have so much individual brilliance in our squad it is a joke that our players aren’t constantly being nominated for balon d’or!

cj_sparky

Not sure about that. Have you seen the moaning even when we win because we are not prime Barcelona. What is this with Benteke remembering where the net is.
And the P.A forgetting there isn't a crowd.

"Goal scorer, Christian...Benteke...Christian..." :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No I get that. As I say I did feel in the summer though you didn't need the specific players you brought in as you had a batch of players, like Tammy, who had done really well the previous season so I can see why things went wrong this term and with Lampard in general.

I really don't think you got recruitment right in the summer.
I know there were some idiotic threads arguing Tammy was better than the likes of Rashford but I think it's completely fair to question his level. Aside from him, the main 3 academy graduates who contributed last year have all kicked on - Mount, James, and CHO have all gotten more minutes and been better this season than last.

always_hoping

According to some supporters United never play well under Ole, its individual brilliance if United have a comfortable win.

Let's be honest Palace for 60 minutes in this match did roll over.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
And the P.A forgetting there isn't a crowd.

"Goal scorer, Christian...Benteke...Christian..." :lol:
To be fair to the announcer, he probably got confused as I don't think Benteke has scored since a crowd was last let in.

The above was tongue in cheek, but it turns out he last scored at Selvurst Park in July 2020. Not bad for a £32m striker

TheReligion

Abusive
I know there were some idiotic threads arguing Tammy was better than the likes of Rashford but I think it's completely fair to question his level. Aside from him, the main 3 academy graduates who contributed last year have all kicked on - Mount, James, and CHO have all gotten more minutes and been better this season than last.
I don't disagree, I just don't think you invested in the right areas in the summer and your approach seemed to be simply getting lots of players in that were available rather than specific targets to fit a vision.

Unusual for you guys. I think you would have been better saving on a couple of them, trusting what you had last season, and going for one real top player in a key position. You know?

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair to the announcer, he probably got confused as I don't think Benteke has scored since a crowd was last let in.

The above was tongue in cheek, but it turns out he last scored at Selvurst Park in July 2020. Not bad for a £32m striker
Bizarre as I really liked Benteke at Villa. Fantastic player. Just went to rubbish at you lot. Bit like Keane and the other CFs you bought in that period.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
We have been excellent today. Pulisic makes such a difference up front with his pace and Havertz has been great.

R'hllor

Its such a drivel, the whole they raise game vs us but bend over vs City/Liverpool/Chelsea etc.