Premier League Hall of Fame

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No my point is, what player since has come even close to Shearer's numbers outside of playing for the "big boys"

Southampton werent great when Shearer was there, infact they were never "top notch", they were always mid-lower table. Blackburn did well in 95 of course they won the league, but Shearer left in 96 to Newcastle and when there they finished bottom 10 usually, apart from the classic Keegan season, and 2 or 3 occasions in early 00s.

Had he played for a "top" side, he'd have been arguably even better, infact, most definitely
Not necessarily true. His goals may well have been split around the team.
You only have to remember Andy Cole's scoring season for Newcastle, that he didn't get close to with us.

Newcastle were built round Shearer, I'm not sure we would have been. Maybe if we'd used him how we did Van Nistelrooy, but if we'd used him in a Cole/Yorke pairing maybe the goals would have been split down.

always_hoping

Really daft that Cantona wasn't one of the first inducted. No past Premier league player provided the leadership and influence on a team as much as Cantona did

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Lampard over Gerrard :D , who'll likely be next no doubt.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Really daft that Cantona wasn't one of the first inducted. No past Premier league player provided the leadership and influence on a team as much as Cantona did
His longevity (in the PL) may have been a factor... compared to some others.

It's about 140 PL games?

Influence is a 10/10 though no doubt (and ability and charisma)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Let's be honest, in the first 20 inductees, there should be at least 10-13 Man Utd players. I'd say 3-5 Arse, and 3-5 Chelsea players as well.

Schneckerl

This slow induction process is kind of pointless, because all of the nominees are 100% deserving Hall of Famers and will get in eventually.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No arguments on him being 3rd behind Shearer and Henry. If Giggs wasn't an idiot he'd probably have been 3rd, but he's a piece of shit so he wasn't nominated for this starting hall of fame induction process.

bosnian_red

Let's be honest, in the first 20 inductees, there should be at least 10-13 Man Utd players. I'd say 3-5 Arse, and 3-5 Chelsea players as well.
Imo should be (retired players only) in this order:
  1. Shearer
  2. Henry
  3. Cantona
  4. Giggs
  5. Keane
  6. Lampard
  7. Scholes
  8. Gerrard
  9. Rooney
  10. Vieira
  11. Terry
  12. Rio Ferdinand
  13. Beckham
  14. Bergkamp
  15. Andy Cole
  16. Drogba
  17. Ashley Cole
  18. Adams
  19. Owen
  20. Fowler
So 8 United players, 4.5 Arsenal players (Cole), 3 Liverpool, 3.5 Chelsea players, and Shearer. Next batch would probably be active/more recent players like David Silva, Aguero, Ronaldo, Yaya Toure, Van Persie, or others further back like Neville, Vidic, Evra, Schmeichel, Van der sar, Le Tissier, Zola.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Imo should be (retired players only) in this order:
  1. Shearer
  2. Henry
  3. Cantona
  4. Giggs
  5. Keane
  6. Lampard
  7. Scholes
  8. Gerrard
  9. Rooney
  10. Vieira
  11. Terry
  12. Rio Ferdinand
  13. Beckham
  14. Bergkamp
  15. Andy Cole
  16. Drogba
  17. Ashley Cole
  18. Adams
  19. Owen
  20. Fowler
So 8 United players, 4.5 Arsenal players (Cole), 3 Liverpool, 3.5 Chelsea players, and Shearer. Next batch would probably be active/more recent players like David Silva, Aguero, Ronaldo, Yaya Toure, Van Persie, or others further back like Neville, Vidic, Evra, Schmeichel, Van der sar, Le Tissier, Zola.
My list is fairly similar to yours.

I'd have...

1. Shearer
2. Henry
3. Cantona
4. Lampard
----
This isn't my order of importance, but more who would definitely be in the top 20.

4. Giggs
5. Keane
6. Scholes
7. Rooney
8. Rio
9. Schmeichel
10. A Cole
11. Vieira
12. Bergkamp
13. Terry
14. Drogba
15. Cech
16. Gerrard
17. Irwin
18. Andy Cole
19. Le Tissier
20. Beckham

I don't see how Owen or Fowler can say they've had a better PL career than anyone on that list.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Owen as one of the English darlings will get in soon enough unfortunately.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Is Van Persie really a candidate though ? One or 2 good seasons at Arsenal and one great year at United should not be enough to be on that list.

bosnian_red

Is Van Persie really a candidate though ? One or 2 good seasons at Arsenal and one great year at United should not be enough to be on that list.
He'd probably be around the 30-40 range for me, which is fair IMO.

red4ever 79

Hall of fame should be 5 players plus 1 manager in the initial induction, and then 2 players, 1 manager added on a yearly basis.

First batch should have been
Cantona
Shearer
Henry
Giggs
Keane
SAF

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I mean selecting managers will be sooo predictable. They will take all league winning managers plus probably those who wouldn’t even deserve it such as the likes of Keegan and Benitez.

MU655

Lampard

5th on all-time goal scoring list and 4th on all-time assist list. Other than Gerrard, the rest in the top 20 goal scorers are all strikers.

I think he is the best attacking midfielder in Premier League history.

Chabon

Vieira and Scholes should have been inducted before Lampard and Gerrard.
Actual midfielders will never get the recognition ahead of glory-hogging, glorified number tens. Can you even began to imagine how many goals Paul Scholes would have scored if he’d spent the majority of career with two holders behind him doing all the dirty work and been the one to take penalties?

Makelele

Actual midfielders will never get the recognition ahead of glory-hogging, glorified number tens. Can you even began to imagine how many goals Paul Scholes would have scored if he’d spent the majority of career with two holders behind him doing all the dirty work and been the one to take penalties?
Do you realise how rare it was for a midfielder to put up the numbers Lampard produced in that era? So rare I very much doubt Scholes would be able to. Scholes played in a much more expansive side than Lampard and still didn’t.

Lampard was rated and is still criminally underrated.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Those players before so many of our greats. PL appeasement in full flow

Chabon

Do you realise how rare it was for a midfielder to put up the numbers Lampard produced in that era? So rare I very much doubt Scholes would be able to. Scholes played in a much more expansive side than Lampard and still didn’t.
Paul Scholes had one full season playing in Lampard’s position (02/03) and he scored 14 league goals from open play.

What do you reckon Lampard’s best return of non-penalty goals in a league season is?