Premier League Hall of Fame

always_hoping

Beckham in it now.
Rightly so. Few if any Premier league players was better at crossing the ball and free kicks than him. His work rate and will to win was something else had to attend matches to fully appreciate it.

Robertd0803

Jesus they are letting anyone in now. This is worse than Koko B Ware in the WWE HOF
Exactly.

So sick of this PL Hall of Fame bs already with the debate about who should be in before who etc.

Theres no rhyme or reason to the order of picks, its so stupid. The perfect example of Gerrard before anyone of Uniteds actual title winning candidates is based on what exactly?

Robertd0803

Rightly so. Few if any Premier league players was better at crossing the ball and free kicks than him. His work rate and will to win was something else had to attend matches to fully appreciate it.
Something that gets glossed over/forgotten about over time sadly. His will to win was tremendous.

littleman

We shouldn't be caring about order of induction into the HOF.

In the end, it's not like Wikipedia will have on Steven Gerrard's page, "5th to be inducted into HOF". Higher chance it'll write "0 EPL trophies"

Chabon

Do you realise how rare it was for a midfielder to put up the numbers Lampard produced in that era? So rare I very much doubt Scholes would be able to. Scholes played in a much more expansive side than Lampard and still didn’t.

Lampard was rated and is still criminally underrated.
Replying to this again cause I just did some research. Here’s every instance of a midfielder* scoring 12 or more non-penalty PL goals in a season during Frank Lampard’s career:

Scholes 02/03 - 14 (33)
Toure 13/14 - 14 (35)
Fabregas 09/10 - 12 (27)
Gerrard 08/09 - 12 (31)
Silva 14/15 - 12 (32)
Juninho 96/97 - 12 (35)
Lampard 05/06 - 12 (35)
Mata 12/13 - 12 (35)
Lampard 09/10 - 12 (36)
Cazorla 12/13 - 12 (38)

So, Scholes got one season across those twenty years playing in a three man midfield and not only did he score more than Lampard ever managed in a season, he scored more from midfield than anyone else ever did. Frank Lampard was a fine player, but Scholes could do his job better than him.

I checked on the premier league website where you can filter players by position and then sacked off all the wingers.

RedDevil@84

Are they done with the midfielders already? Or is everyone gonna come in eventually?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wait they didn't include gigs?
I'm aware that he did shitty things but come on he is the "premier league " player.

Bobski

How is Ian Wright in this ahead of guys like Cole, Fowler and Owen? Only 5-6 decent seasons in the PL, most of them when Arsenal were a mediocre team, won the league in his last season at Arsenal when in decline and Anelka moving ahead of him. 3 more Pl goals than Heskey.

The Giggs thing is ridiculous, if he is found innocent in his trial are they going to keep him out of this because he fecked his brother's wife but are fine with all the other adulterers?

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Wait they didn't include gigs?
I'm aware that he did shitty things but come on he is the "premier league " player.
Jimmy Savile was practically the face of the BBC for fifty years. Would you put him in a BBC hall of fame?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Why are they doing this so quickly? 16 names in already after only two years?

It takes the prestige away from it.

We will be inducting Paul Robinson and Craig Gardner by 2030

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Jimmy Savile was practically the face of the BBC for fifty years. Would you put him in a BBC hall of fame?
Whats your detention of hall of fame, if its the greatest players of the premier league than he should be there.
If you apply the same principle to BBC than yeah he should be there (I don't know much about him but a cursory internet search tells me he was a shitbag and as others have pointed out not the best example to use , gigs allegations are in no way that severe )
Its the nature of reality , being a shitbag or criminal doesn't suddenly make your achievements evaporate.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Why are they doing this so quickly? 16 names in already after only two years?

It takes the prestige away from it.

We will be inducting Paul Robinson and Craig Gardner by 2030
There is 200+ players in the NBA one( with a longer history of course), i guess they're fast tracking the first 50 or so and it will slow down next year.

kps88

Don’t agree with Kompany being the first CB to get in ahead of Terry and Rio

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
They desperately wanted another City player there as Kompany that early makes no sense.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Kompany definitely deserves to be there but before Terry, vidic , rio and others? Don't think so.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Kompany definitely deserves to be there but before Terry, vidic , rio and others? Don't think so.
I think the big factor is Kompany was part of building City from little guys to big guys. Terry to an extent. The other two were phenomenal but United were already big dogs when they joined. If you had to pick the 3 players who made City what they are today Kompany would be an easy choice as would Terry at Chelsea. United have been top dogs in the PL for so long that Rio and Vidic more or less kept them at the top but didn't elevate them there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think the big factor is Kompany was part of building City from little guys to big guys. Terry to an extent. The other two were phenomenal but United were already big dogs when they joined. If you had to pick the 3 players who made City what they are today Kompany would be an easy choice as would Terry at Chelsea. United have been top dogs in the PL for so long that Rio and Vidic more or less kept them at the top but didn't elevate them there.
I agree about the points you make but even then Terry should probably get the nod ahead of Vincent.
It doesn't matter much in the long run to be honest as all 4 are quality players deserving of being there.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I agree about the points you make but even then Terry should probably get the nod ahead of Vincent.
It doesn't matter much in the long run to be honest as all 4 are quality players deserving of being there.
Thats fair, I'd have no issue with Rio or Vidic either, was just speculating on why I thought it was Kompany.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Probably too many United players there so I think it won't be another one but Teddy Sheringham and Andy Cole could go in as they have extensive careers outside of United

John Terry perhaps
Sol Campbell maybe
Peter Cech?
Jamie Vardy?
David Seaman?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Find it weird that they're acting like Giggs never existed. Yes he's a prick but they've got Cantona who assaulted a fan, Gerrard also had an assault claim on him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Find it weird that they're acting like Giggs never existed. Yes he's a prick but they've got Cantona who assaulted a fan, Gerrard also had an assault claim on him.
Ryan Giggs has a history of very problematic behavior. Cantona attacked a fan after being more than mildly provoked: "He said that the fan chanted: "F*** off back to France you French bastard" whilst also calling his mother a "French whore".". We can of course say that "words dont defend violence" like everyone are about to, but thats still a different situation from Giggs sordid history.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ryan Giggs has a history of very problematic behavior. Cantona attacked a fan after being more than mildly provoked: "He said that the fan chanted: "F*** off back to France you French bastard" whilst also calling his mother a "French whore".". We can of course say that "words dont defend violence" like everyone are about to, but thats still a different situation from Giggs sordid history.
I get that. Just wondering what the bar is? And whether they're just judging it on sporting merit which clearly they aren't. There's no point pretending he doesn't exist and that he's not the most decorated player in the history of the PL, even if he is a massive twat. Just a big elephant in the room really.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I get that. Just wondering what the bar is? And whether they're just judging it on sporting merit which clearly they aren't. There's no point pretending he doesn't exist and that he's not the most decorated player in the history of the PL, even if he is a massive twat. Just a big elephant in the room really.
I would guess that recent problems take priority when deciding who to omit. I guess Im not allowed to mention what Giggs is currently on trial for under UK law(?), but its different than the examples you mentioned previously.