Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
But seems like the former officer had a lengthy rap sheet against him during his time as an officer, so that should come into play in terms of his length in prison. Hopefully probation isn't provided for at least 10 years, however he may get some "relief" and not be allowed to be in the same areas of other convicts in the state penitentiary.
This is a difficult one because if a complaint has led to no charges, then arguably it should not be factored into any future case. On the flipside, the sheer volume of complaints made against him does suggest "no smoke without fire".

arnie_ni

This is a difficult one because if a complaint has led to no charges, then arguably it should not be factored into any future case. On the flipside, the sheer volume of complaints made against him does suggest "no smoke without fire".
Is there a link to this somewhere?

Carolina Red

Staff
Chauvin, who joined the force in 2001, had already been involved in several incidents, according to a database by Minneapolis’ Communities United Against Police Brutality.

Chauvin was one of five officers who were placed on leave after they shot and wounded an indigenous man in 2011, the Daily Beast reported. Later that year, officers had been responding to a domestic violence call, and Chauvin claimed that the man reached for his gun. The man was shot (not by Chauvin, but by a different officer) and wounded. Authorities later determined that the officers had acted “appropriately”.

The second officer, Tou Thao, is a 10-year veteran of the force. He was previously sued by a man who alleged he and two officers used excessive force during an 2014 arrest. The man, who had been walking along with his pregnant girlfriend, was stopped by Thao and another officer. The lawsuit alleged they “punch[ed], kick[ed] and kn[eed]” the man’s “face and body” causing “broken teeth as well as other bruising and trauma”. The lawsuit was settled out of court.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-officers-derek-chauvin-tou-thao-investigated

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Is there a link to this somewhere?
I should clarify that this is my opinion and my understanding of standard HR disciplinary practices. I dont know the specifics when it comes to police investigations. I just think that if someone made a complaint against me and the complaint was dismissed (as appears to have been the case - rightly or wrongly), I wouldn't expect that complaint to be factored into any future decision.

To clarify: I am not defending Chauvin's actions, and with that sort of rap sheet I think it still speaks volumes about his character. One person complaints and maybe there is a misunderstanding. Seventeen complaints seems a bit much to be coincidental.

arnie_ni

I should clarify that this is my opinion and my understanding of standard HR disciplinary practices. I dont know the specifics when it comes to police investigations. I just think that if someone made a complaint against me and the complaint was dismissed (as appears to have been the case - rightly or wrongly), I wouldn't expect that complaint to be factored into any future decision.
Sorry i meant to his complaint history, ive missed that.

Carolina Red

Staff
Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn, on Friday defended her record as a former county prosecutor, rejecting accusations that she declined to press charges against the cop who knelt on George Floyd's neck for the killing of a suspect in 2006.

In October 2006, that officer, Derek Chauvin, was involved in the fatal shooting of a stabbing suspect. At the time, Klobuchar was the attorney for Hennepin County, which contains Minneapolis. Klobuchar was elected to the U.S. Senate the next month.

Klobuchar, however, told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Friday that she never declined to prosecute Chauvin. She explained that the investigation into the case began during her tenure but continued into the time during which she’d already been sworn into the Senate and was ultimately handled by her successor.

“This idea that I somehow declined a case … against this officer is absolutely false. It is a lie. I don't know what else to say about it,” Klobuchar said.

Klobuchar explained that her successor sent the the case to a grand jury, which ultimately declined in 2008 to charge Chauvin. In a statement Friday, the Hennepin County attorney's office said, "Sen. Klobuchar's last day in the office here was December 31, 2006, and she had no involvement in the prosecution of this case at all."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-updates-n1217886/ncrd1218161#liveBlogHeader

arnie_ni

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn, on Friday defended her record as a former county prosecutor, rejecting accusations that she declined to press charges against the cop who knelt on George Floyd's neck for the killing of a suspect in 2006.

In October 2006, that officer, Derek Chauvin, was involved in the fatal shooting of a stabbing suspect. At the time, Klobuchar was the attorney for Hennepin County, which contains Minneapolis. Klobuchar was elected to the U.S. Senate the next month.

Klobuchar, however, told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Friday that she never declined to prosecute Chauvin. She explained that the investigation into the case began during her tenure but continued into the time during which she’d already been sworn into the Senate and was ultimately handled by her successor.

“This idea that I somehow declined a case … against this officer is absolutely false. It is a lie. I don't know what else to say about it,” Klobuchar said.

Klobuchar explained that her successor sent the the case to a grand jury, which ultimately declined in 2008 to charge Chauvin. In a statement Friday, the Hennepin County attorney's office said, "Sen. Klobuchar's last day in the office here was December 31, 2006, and she had no involvement in the prosecution of this case at all."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-updates-n1217886/ncrd1218161#liveBlogHeader
This is why its always pertinent to wait until the facts come to light. She's getting hounded for something that she had no part in

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Just read that Chauvin had 18 other previous complaints for brutality made against him.

The Asian officer had also had complaints made against him too. One was for hitting a suspect while in handcuffs.

Why were they still Employed? Serious questions need to be asked as to why such unacceptable behaviour gets swept under the carpet.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Sorry i meant to his complaint history, ive missed that.
Ah apologies. It was posted on here yesterday in one of these threads. I will confess that I dont know the reliability of the original source (it was a tweet I believe), but it basically said that Chauvin had 17 complaints against him, 15 of which resulted in no further action. I think those were the numbers.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I cant few his profile and based on the mods post i quoted i assumed so
If he has been banned and hasn't just made his profile private then banning him is an appropriate measure of action in my view.

So apparently up till now received 18 formal complaints, most of which closed, and the rest being a mere letter to reprimand him. Shot an unarmed black man in 2008 ...

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Has this been corroborated?
Read on:

Dante

Average bang
Just read that Chauvin had 18 other previous complaints for brutality made against him.

The Asian officer had also had complaints made against him too. One was for hitting a suspect while in handcuffs.

Why were they still Employed? Serious questions need to be asked as to why such unacceptable behaviour gets swept under the carpet.
This video below explains the utter shitshow behind America's policing.

In short, it's nigh on impossible to prosecute any police officer with anything. Not only that, but police unions have been able to write some incredible conditions into law to prevent any charges being filed in the first place. And then you have the incestuous relationship that exists between the police force and the prosecutor's office.

There are also some interesting bits that relate directly to Minneapolis and the glorification of violence by some of its officers. It's kind of eyebrow raising, but also points to the inevitability of something like this happening again in the city.

Hasan Minhaj's show on this topic is always worth a watch. It aired in September, for a bit of reference.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Third-degree murder charge is bullshit.
Prosecution gone for an easy charge to prove.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He will get a couple of years in protection and will be out, will probably get some sort of pension too. Can't help feel they gave the lowest charge just to get the heat off their backs.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He will get a couple of years in protection and will be out, will probably get some sort of pension too. Can't help feel they gave the lowest charge just to get the heat off their backs.
Given the amount of press, and the rioting that has come about from this, I think a show-trial and lenient sentence would cause rioting and violence on a much greater scale than we are currently seeing. I think a lot of people will be content to let the justice system do its thing, and if Chauvin gets away with minimal punishment then that will be the absolute last straw.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A very quick google gives the following outlines:

Second-Degree Murder

Second-degree murder can be an intentional killing, but it is not as serious as first-degree murder. Second degree murder can be charged when a defendant intentionally kills another human being but the murder is not premediated. Second-degree murder may result when a person kills out of an intense emotional response or impulse. Additionally, killing someone during a drive-by shooting, killing someone during the commission of a crime that is not sexual assault or killing someone unintentionally while intended to inflict great physical harm to a victim for whom an order of protection was obtained can result in second-degree murder charges. Second-degree murder has a maximum penalty of 40 years in prison.

Third-Degree Murder

Third-degree murder falls between manslaughter and third-degree murder charges. This murder is not based on having the intent to kill. Third-degree murder is often charged as a depraved heart or mind crime. This charge can arise when a person fires a gun in a crowd without intending to kill anyone, for example. Murder is charged when a person is killed and the defendant has an indifference to the sanctity of human life. This charge may also result if a person sells bad drugs. The maximum penalty for murder is up to 25 years in prison. If the death resulted because of a Schedule I or II drug sale, a fine of up to $40,000 may result.
I can see why they’ve gone for 3rd degree as an easier charge to prove to be honest.

Carolina Red

Staff
Given what we know right now, how would they prove premeditation (1st degree) or definite intent to kill (2nd degree)?

Be mindful that for a conviction, they’d have to prove one of those to the jury “beyond a reasonable doubt”.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
3rd degree murder still carries a sentence of up to 25 years. If they want to put Chauvin away for a long amount of time, they have the capacity to do that within the scope of these charges. If they let him off with a couple of years, then I dont think it would have truly mattered whether it was 2nd or 3rd degree that he was charged with - he was always going to get away with it.

Foxbatt

Given the amount of press, and the rioting that has come about from this, I think a show-trial and lenient sentence would cause rioting and violence on a much greater scale than we are currently seeing. I think a lot of people will be content to let the justice system do its thing, and if Chauvin gets away with minimal punishment then that will be the absolute last straw.
I agree with you. It's not going to be good news in this case. By the time the case drags on so many African Americans will be shot or killed by the police or the vigilantes.
The won't get first degree but third degree?

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I wish I shared your optimism on the lifespan of news stories in the public mind. I think if they dragged it out a couple years and gave a crooked verdict most people would shrug their shoulders and ignore it after the time in between

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Given what we know right now, how would they prove premeditation (1st degree) or definite intent to kill (2nd degree)?

Be mindful that for a conviction, they’d have to prove one of those to the jury “beyond a reasonable doubt”.
Isn't the video evidence itself? You had Floyd pretty much telling him several times he couldn't breath and begging him to get off. What's the difference with this and choking someone to death? Genuine questions really.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I agree with you. It's not going to be good news in this case. By the time the case drags on so many African Americans will be shot or killed by the police or the vigilantes.
The won't get first degree but third degree?
I wish I shared your optimism on the lifespan of news stories in the public mind. I think if they dragged it out a couple years and gave a crooked verdict most people would shrug their shoulders and ignore it after the time in between
You (both) may be right. Maybe if significant strides are made to repair the divisions in the U.S. over the next couple of years, then something like this could indeed be brushed under the carpet without too much uproar. That said, this does feel like a bit of a watershed moment. I suppose you should never underestimate the ability of the general public to be fickle and move on to the next spectacle within a few weeks, but it kinda feels like all eyes are on the US and this case right now - the entire world is watching to see how this is handled, and whether the U.S is as fundamentally broken as some believe.

Carolina Red

Staff
Isn't the video evidence itself? You had Floyd pretty much telling him several times he couldn't breath and begging him to get off. What's the difference with this and choking someone to death? Genuine questions really.
To answer your first question...

1st Degree: No. The video is not sufficient evidence to prove premeditation as it gives you no evidence as to prior planning to kill on the part of Chauvin.

2nd Degree: Maybe. You might be able to convince a jury that Chauvin had definite intent to kill. But that is going to be a long shot, as the defense is going to do all it can to muddy the water and will hammer home about people lying to police and faking injury to get out of holds, etc.

3rd Degree: Yes. It is definitely enough evidence to use to convince a jury that Chauvin was doing something to intentionally harm the victim that resulted in his death, although unintended. He shows indifference to Floyd and that indifference resulted in an unintended homicide.