Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
yeh, I do agree with this - I guess my beef is with the phrase itself. I don't have the answer but I think it could be pitched a lot better.
Its been pitched in better ways many times in the past and no one listened. Turns out the provocative nature of the term (even in its entire truth) is what has gotten people to listen and understand. Unfortunately sometimes people need provoking.

fergies coat

No, it implies that you don’t get shat on because of the colour of your skin. You’ve probably never had a job application rejected because your name ‘sounds black’.

Anyone saying this has no idea what white privilege means.
So if you don't get a certain job, its because you was black, rather than lacking the qualifications for it. Gotcha.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Let's call it Minority disadvantage.

Cassidy

So if you don't get a certain job, its because you was black, rather than lacking the qualifications for it. Gotcha.
Yes this still happens today and I have witnessed it myself

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you're black, chances are you won't get the job and the far less qualified white dude will instead

Also, the white guy who's more qualified than you likely had a lot more resources and opportunities to develop the skill needed for the job than you did. Hence why he's more qualified than you

Smores

I don't like it. It implies that I've had a helping had in my life based on the colour of my skin. I'm a normal working class person. I've had no helping hand. Its a blanket statement.
Why are Tories so obsessed with not having had any benefits over others? I can never figure that thing out.

Anyway, what you appear to have done is set your life experiences as a white man as the standard. That should be the standard for all of course but it isn't so in what world is it not a privilege to avoid being in any of the groups that get a lesser standard for no fault of their own?

I really can't understand the insecurity that leads to being unable to accept that there's no or fewer downsides to being a white man.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
No it doesn't. Its means I don't think the term white privilege is fair. A black person could be born into a middle class family, and have far more opportunities than a white working class man.
And yet a black person born into a middle class family still has less opportunities than a white person born into a middle class family.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No it doesn't. Its means I don't think the term white privilege is fair. A black person could be born into a middle class family, and have far more opportunities than a white working class man.
But will he have the same opportunities as his supposed equal white person from the same background?

Class divide is apparent in society, but it is not the same topic as what is at hand.

JPRouve

Scout
And yet that black person will still be followed in a shop by security, in many occasions he will still be looked liked someone that doesn't belong.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Sure, a small minority of Black people do have more opportunities than working class white males. This is a straw man argument and white privilege and privilege as a whole is about changing that. You’re only offended by it because you’re white.

One imagines the traveler community suffers from the exact same prejudice.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The fact a system based on class also exists does not in any way contradict the existence of racism and white privilege.

In fact, it is telling that you had to use a middle class v working class example to differentiate between the two. If white privilege does not exist why did you not use a like for like comparison i.e. a white working class person v a black working class person? I’m guessing that’s because you do accept, at a minimum, that the privileges conferred on white skin when all else is equal do indeed exist.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This movement is going to kick trump out at the ballot boxes. I truly believe it. Reform should start at the top. Those racist cops will regret the day

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A fair society where black, white and other ethnic people are treated the same way? How is that so hard to understand?
No, but thinking of constructive ideas seems hard for you.

I'm shocked that a protest against racism is pining for equality. You learn something everyday.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You’re missing the point of it. White privilege doesn’t mean that everything is handed to you, or that you haven’t worked for what you have. It just means that the colour of your skin hasn’t worked against you.

I’m poor as shit, I live in a fecking caravan. I still have white privilege.

JPRouve

Scout
Sure, a small minority of Black people do have more opportunities than working class white males. This is a straw man argument and white privilege and privilege as a whole is about changing that. You’re only offended by it because you’re white.

White privilege isn't a white vs black topic, it's compared to all minorities. Asians, Native americans, hispanics that are a bit too dark or blacks.

That'sHernandez

No, but thinking of constructive ideas seems hard for you.

I'm shocked that a protest against racism is pining for equality. You learn something everyday.
Is there any need to attempt to insult my intelligence every time you respond to me? The only person it reflects poorly on is yourself; I suggest you take some time to grow up a little.

amolbhatia50k

Trump didn't invent police brutality and racism, I don't see what's getting him out of office would achieve on this front.
Well, I'd imagine it would help to have a leader who gives a shit and would at least push for change. Although obviously the republicans who want to be led by a bigot also have to want change, to get it to happen.

GiddyUp

What are the demands of the protestors? Defunding of the police makes sense if they're over funded but isn't the real solution voting Trump out of power and demanding police reforms?
And Mitch McConnell. And Lindsey Graham. Change will only happen if you pay attention and vote on everything. One of the smartest people in congress was a NY bartender who went up against the establishment and won.
Cops are on great money (overtime) and pension in a lot of places so there is also an incentive for decent people to enter into law enforcement and enact change. We will never live in a world without police brutality but we can at least have a few cops who do the right thing and arrest their colleagues for crimes that they've witnessed them commit.

Withnail

There are all types of privilege, granted.

It's just happens that white male privilege is the top of the stack and many white people have been historically unaware or oblivious.

What is 'White Privilege' ?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This sadly still happens even today and there are studies which have shown that those with clearly 'black' or minority names in general are less likely to get called back and less likely to get a job than someone who has the exact same CV with a white or ambiguous name.

It isn't exactly like this trend is reversed in non-white countries either, where being lighter skinned is often seen as an advantage and I've seen westerners hired to do jobs they probably are not all that qualified to do well (or, in my own field, I've seen white, British trained doctors offered a higher salary than brown or Arab British trained doctors for the exact same job and with the exact same credentials).

It is difficult to qualify what exactly 'white privilege' is, especially to those who don't feel its negative effects. The problem with privilege in general is that it is so multi-faceted, with the concept itself making people feel uncomfortable. People want to feel that everything they've done, they've achieved completely off their own back. Its uncomfortable to hear that there may be factors outside your control which have contributed and which may have contributed to others struggling.

The other issue it opens is that there are different levels of privilege. Simply by growing up in the UK, you are privileged. By speaking English as our first language, we are privileged. By working here, we are privileged. By having a 'Western passport', we are privileged. I'm a male, that comes with its own privileges. Its not clear cut though. Say you take the black son of wealthy Nigerian parents, who have enough money for him to go to Eton and then Oxford. He pays no fees and comes out of university debt free. By dint of the colour of his skin, is he less privileged than a white working class boy on free school meals and who's grown up in a single parent household? No, in his general life, he will probably go on to lead a far more 'successful' and wealthy life than the other.

I'm rambling now but white privilege does not mean every white person is racist. It does not mean every white person has an easy life and has stuff handed to them. It doesn't mean every single person of colour is going to be poor and unable to lead their lives. For me, it doesn't even mean that all white people should be trying to fight it. I get it, people live hard lives and have a lot of shit going on. It is most simply and fundamentally living life without having your colour be a real factor. Without having it affect your interactions with other people negatively. Without it being in the back of your mind as you interact with others.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I had 3 fingers left. But if the questions had been worded slightly different or covered other equally insidious topics of racism, it could have been fewer.
Whereas the only finger I put down was because one time a woman crossed the road when I was walking behind her, which itself is something I would never think to do as a guy.

amolbhatia50k

Is there any need to attempt to insult my intelligence every time you respond to me? The only person it reflects poorly on is yourself; I suggest you take some time to grow up a little.
Well maybe you should first reflect on your post instead. "Is that so hard to understand?" was not a very polite way to put it either now was it given everybody knows an anti racist protest will demand equality. But usually every protest also has practical short term and achievable demands as well.

That'sHernandez

Well maybe you should first reflect on your post instead. "Is that so hard to understand?" was not a very polite way to put it either now was it given everybody knows an anti racist protest will demand equality. But usually every protest also has practical short term and achievable demands as well.
Apologies, that was not directed at you and I take your point. I meant for that bit to be aimed at society and those that deny racism exists in society, I appreciate I was ambiguous there.

Yes, most protests do but it’s hard to put that into this context. It’s hundreds of years of establishmentarian racism which can only be changed from the top down. These protests, in my opinion, are in part to force the establishment to look at that and find some way to review it.

Cassidy

@fergies coat people with white privilege won't notice it as to them they are just living their normal lives and to them that is not a privilege it is just their life. I fully understand that. Understanding white privilege is to understand the disadvantage people with non white skin face just living their normal lives just because their skin is not white. Thats simply it, nothing more than that

dove

There are all types of privilege, granted.

It's just happens that white male privilege is the top of the stack and many white people have been historically unaware or oblivious.
But what exactly do you expect to happen in societies where majority of population is white? Is "black privilege" not a thing in African countries? I am genuinely curious about it.

JPRouve

Scout
Indeed, I am aware of that :)
I was making your point explicit because some seem to think that the issue is only a black community problem. In general it seems that a lot of people don't realize that a large part of society is built on racism, xenophobia, misogyny and bigotry.

That'sHernandez

This sadly still happens even today and there are studies which have shown that those with clearly 'black' or minority names in general are less likely to get called back and less likely to get a job than someone who has the exact same CV with a white or ambiguous name.

It isn't exactly like this trend is reversed in non-white countries either, where being lighter skinned is often seen as an advantage and I've seen westerners hired to do jobs they probably are not all that qualified to do well (or, in my own field, I've seen white, British trained doctors offered a higher salary than brown or Arab British trained doctors for the exact same job and with the exact same credentials).

It is difficult to qualify what exactly 'white privilege' is, especially to those who don't feel its negative effects. The problem with privilege in general is that it is so multi-faceted, with the concept itself making people feel uncomfortable. People want to feel that everything they've done, they've achieved completely off their own back. Its uncomfortable to hear that there may be factors outside your control which have contributed and which may have contributed to others struggling.

The other issue it opens is that there are different levels of privilege. Simply by growing up in the UK, you are privileged. By speaking English as our first language, we are privileged. By working here, we are privileged. By having a 'Western passport', we are privileged. I'm a male, that comes with its own privileges. Its not clear cut though. Say you take the black son of wealthy Nigerian parents, who have enough money for him to go to Eton and then Oxford. He pays no fees and comes out of university debt free. By dint of the colour of his skin, is he less privileged than a white working class boy on free school meals and who's grown up in a single parent household? No, in his general life, he will probably go on to lead a far more 'successful' and wealthy life than the other.

I'm rambling now but white privilege does not mean every white person is racist. It does not mean every white person has an easy life and has stuff handed to them. It doesn't mean every single person of colour is going to be poor and unable to lead their lives. For me, it doesn't even mean that all white people should be trying to fight it. I get it, people live hard lives and have a lot of shit going on. It is most simply and fundamentally living life without having your colour be a real factor. Without having it affect your interactions with other people negatively. Without it being in the back of your mind as you interact with others.
Slightly disagree with the last paragraph here. I don’t mean to sound like a white saviour but the message has been drummed for decades by the minorities and the establishments haven’t really listened; and when they have, change has been incredibly slow. It is going to take those of us in privilege to continue hammering this for the establishment to care.

fergies coat

I guess what I'm trying to say is. I believe being black will count against you the more and more higher in society you go. I do get that my skin colour hasn't held me back.

Maybe these protests might change something a little. Unfortunately there will always be idiots, and racism will never go away.