Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I might make mistake being soblunt on that sentence, because in my head, antifa is an ideology and i heavely link them with left ideologies (the opposite than US ideology).

The USA enemies in WWII were to happen to be fascist but ideology had nothing to do with the US attacking them. As always control and money, also their historical connections with UK and the threat that germany could geopardize their raising world supremacy (that the WWII ended tilting it). They could enter to Spain and kick out the fascist dictator and they did not because Texaco and other US companies had supported him during the spanish civil war and also because the spanish democratic governement was left winged and closer to comunism and they prefer a fascist guy there. If they would be antifa, they would kick him out, and they even helped him at the later stages in the Marshall plan.

Antifa movements fight fascist movement because the fascist ideology, USA fought countries that happened to be fascist, that didn't make US antifa. Actually, and this is a personal opinion, I always put US closer to fascism than most of any other country in the developed world. Specially after the 70s. But again, sctrictly myy personal opinion

But definitely, US was not antifa in WWII ideologically speaking
Americans aren’t anti-fascist because they didn’t invade Spain at the behest of Texaco? What the absolute hell?

Pughnichi

Maybe a group of celebrities could release a cover song to make us all feel better and return to our homes

Carolina Red

Staff
I am still struggling with the idea that there isn't clear, obvious and provable evidence of intent to kill here?
If this is new evidence, then the prosecution can decide to change the charge.

If they do not and this evidence is legit, then I agree with you. The charge should be changed.

edcunited1878

1) Obama is known for Obamacare, not carrying out standard US foreign policy
2) Obama has commented on racial injustices many times before
3) You obviously don't understand the way our system of government works. Obama can't unilaterally do anything for black people. He can only direct Congress to take such measures.
4) For all Obama's faults, it was clear he was supportive of the black community in America. Look up his history.
5) "At least Trump shows his cards" is a pointless statement attempting to grasp at the most imaginary of straws.
5) The bolded is just plain ignorant

It's clear you have no clue what you are talking about. Please shut up and let the informed adults talk.
Glad you responded back and I agree with you. To add on to your 3rd point, this is the biggest and most important fact - "Obama (no one person) can't unilaterally do anything for black people."

I still stand by my belief that violence fighting violence isn't going to solve anything. There's so many things that have to be done in parallel and because of said violence, which is where my belief comes in. As a whole, the American socioeconomic structure was fragile and is broken, but doesn't mean it doesn't work. It's just that it doesn't work well enough for a country this big, this diverse, and this wealthy.

As mentioned, Congress, members in federal, state, and local judiciaries, American corporations on Wall Street and Local Street (local small businesses), all must enact policies and programs that promote and enable for equal opportunity and are devoid of purposeful suppression of people based on ethnicity. That's a tall fecking order that's going to continue to take multiple generations. And in some to many cases, that's just not going to happen. You've got too many people, regardless of ethnicity, who do not want to lose their status, money, and influence. Just so happens most people are of white ethnicities because they didn't have a generation(s) of suppression and racism not only holding them back and holding them down, but also leveraged to boost people at levels way, way higher than ever possibly imagined. So by the time people who are able to start building something, they are severely disadvantaged and still have to cope with the system in front of them that's broken. It's a situation compounded by other situations created before them and it's exhausting, it's daunting, it's hopeless.

Because of the decentralized nature of American government, it's extremely difficult for a sitting President to have generational impact. However, it is the people and systems that outlast presidential terms such as Congress, American corporations, local law enforcement departments, local judiciary, that must be critically examined and held accountable. All it takes is money, time, money, attorneys, more money, lobbyists, and more money to do this! But it has to be something that is focused on every single day, by every single person, plus people who are dedicated to bringing more equality and a better system and a better society.

The responses by local law enforcement, local government officials, and local community leaders in Minnesota, regardless of political party, have been a total and complete failure hence the system being broken. The President just continues to break the existing broken parts into more pieces that become distorted and broken beyond repair. It's just not good enough considering how diverse and different and large this country is. Making direct, informed, harsh, and transparent decisions should have prevented unnecessary damage and violence and hate and mass confusion.

roseguy64

I'm not criticizing the protests but non-violent struggle was championed by both Gandhi and MLK. It's safe to say their efforts did not lead to failures.
MLK's peaceful protests wouldn't have worked without the violent methods of other leaders at the time. Also, the televised nature of the resistance i.e police brutality against even those peaceful protests helped. It's not a vacuum. Multiple factors played a part, not just MLK.

AaronRedDevil

Ireland apparently won their independence through peaceful protest, in what must be one of the worst takes possible on the protests on Twitter.
You're a disgrace to the irish and our history you stupid motherffffff :lol:

diarm

If this is new evidence, then the prosecution can decide to change the charge.
That makes sense at least.

Can I ask you, as you seem to have a pretty good grasp in this area, is there any state in the US where a prosecutor can bring a higher charge or degree of murder, and in the case of a jury finding guilt but not sufficient evidence of intent, can simply impose a verdict of a lower degree? Is it always automatically a case of win the case on the higher charge or risk going bust and lose the conviction altogether?

Stacks

There’s honestly countless cases. This is why it’s bigger than a George Floyd - I've talked about the collective generational trauma of what it's like being black on here in the past - probably in the Racism or Cops doing badly thread. I can't even watch the video of what the cop did to him because at this point, seeing black people being killed by the police is desensitising me & traumatising me at the same time.

That's why this collective outrage isn't strange, and those who question why violence is necessary are the ones who haven't been paying attention - or they just don't care.
Not necessarily that they dont care as there are many black Americans who dont condone violence. Would you say the violence is NECESSARY to force the government to reform the police and their practices as well as actually give them legit punishment and jail time or in other words, revoke their "get out of jail free card?" I feel the police feel too protected, are poorly trained and have low regard of life. There have been plenty of riots over the years and still and no change after. How effective is it?

roseguy64

The Black Panthers and the Indian militias/insurrectionists might also had something to do with that. So did Mandela with Apartheid.

Governments have a vested interest in framing societal changes in the most positive lends possible, both for altruistic and selfish reasons. It’s safe to say however that the official narrative often omitted a few things.
Exactly. The violent aspects of the movement always helped.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The hopelessness in their voices is just so sad.

I can't even begin to understand how they feel. There's just so many things I take for granted and probably should be a lot more thankful for.

This guy talks a lot of sense, better strategy and organisation is required.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nor should they, but this isn’t an attitude specific to these protests. It’s directed at any and all attempts to address racial inequality. They deny its existence, it’s impact. The US and police brutality is rightfully the main focus atm and the protestors have done a brilliant job in really drawing a focus to the injustice of it. All countries should be aware of the inherent systemic racism in society though, and until people actually accept that fact, it will be hard to change anything.
It’s brilliant (and tragic) that the George Floyd protests has resonated with other countries, systemic racism is engrained into society.
Sorry for not replying, just seen these. Yes, I agree.

As @SilentWitness also states, UK and USA (also Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden) history is specifically rooted in the enslavement of black people and the slave trade, no matter how much some people try to whitewash the history. Most of these nations also had colonies which pillaged, raped and abused BAME countries too. At certain points of history, what we now consider as racist and inhumane acts were perfectly legal and moral.

Despite best efforts of many, some people in those countries still hold onto these beliefs; and practice in plain sight like Chauvin or most often hidden behind layers of disguise like Amy Cooper (ie: racial discrimination in education, social mobility, professional employment etc).

It's not surprising to me that George Floyd's tragedy is resonating with people in above countries, and those they have subjugated.

One major turning point in this outrage is that finally, many Millennials and Gen X without direct lived experience are also outraged enough to join the street protests. That didn't happen in Rodney King or the major race riots in UK and USA 1960s and is something noteworthy and to be hopeful about.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The hopelessness in their voices is just so sad.

I can't even begin to understand how they feel. There's just so many things I take for granted and probably should be a lot more thankful for.

Yep! It makes me feel ashamed that I have taken my life for granted.

roseguy64

Yeah, maybe it’s putting a lot of pressure on him but is there really anybody else that could get through to the people like him, it’s a real pity that no one has addressed the people yet there has been no leadership throughout this whole thing.
Racism rose to forefront again because of him. It was always there but his prominence lead to it being out in the open again. So I doubt anything he says would help.

Carolina Red

Staff
That makes sense at least.

Can I ask you, as you seem to have a pretty good grasp in this area, is there any state in the US where a prosecutor can bring a higher charge or degree of murder, and in the case of a jury finding guilt but not sufficient evidence of intent, can simply impose a verdict of a lower degree? Is it always automatically a case of win the case on the higher charge or risk going bust and lose the conviction altogether?
The jury may convict the defendant of a lesser included charge even if they acquit them of the most serious charge, and in a murder trial they are always instructed that they have this option.

Note that the officer was charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter. If a jury found that they didn’t believe he committed murder, they could still convict him of manslaughter. Another example would be someone being charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment. You have to falsely imprison to kidnap, so even if you aren’t convicted of kidnapping, the prosecution might still prove you falsely imprisoned.

Now with the evidence of that body cam audio... if legit... they could raise the charges to a higher degree of murder and now have 3rd degree as the lesser charge.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This was in reply to a post mentioning the lawful killing of someone in the UK. I have a question - do you believe that lethal force is ever warranted?

The example given earlier (which I believe this conversation was in relation to) was of two armed robbers who were shot. The first one was shot whilst pointing a gun at the head of a security guard - he was taken out by a sniper. I would suggest asking the security guard with the gun pointed at his head, whether the police were justified in killing that man.
Yes, of course certain situations require police to neutralise the threat. But trained snipers are very accurate with their aim. I suspect in that case, the threat could have been neutralised without taking his life. I don't know the case well enough, neither am I an expert on specific UK cases of police brutality, so I am guilty of posting a tweet that may be inaccurate.

But I don't believe that negates the actual point I was making.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maybe a group of celebrities could release a cover song to make us all feel better and return to our homes
Still cant believe how Pepsi messed up what was a brilliant insight and concept with this as its outcome!

This is closer to the ad Pepsi or someone else could have made.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Obama had eight years at the top of the world. Eight fecking years. And what's he remembered for? Killing innocent Afghani children like a coward from his drones. Not to mention thousands of other deaths. Did white police officers feck up black people in America during his tenure? Too fecking right. Did Obama say anything then or after leaving the presidency, if his hands were tied at the time? Has he ever said anything to date? Obviously nothing substantial enough.

At least Trump shows his cards. Obama has hidden his cowardice and is still hiding. Just another white president of the USA with strange skin tone who got nothing done except kill foreigner children. Oh but he tried really hard with his bills and orated well and left some sound bites. In the meantime the development of American military style police force continued to grow stronger in their conviction. No oration on that from him or his missus.
Not to try to defend Obama here but there's video posted in here of a Minnesota police chief celebrating Trump because the Obama era efforts to curtail police brutality and introduce oversight are again. I agree he didn't do enough but let's not ignore that Holder and Obama tried to implement some changes which received massive pushback from the police.

Stacks

The lawyer for the Floyd family says audio from the bodycam of the officers has shown one of them told Chauvin "he doesn't have a pulse, maybe we should move him onto his side?" and Chauvin responds with "no, we're going to keep him in this position" and then keeps his knee on his neck for several more minutes.

I am still struggling with the idea that there isn't clear, obvious and provable evidence of intent to kill here? His colleague explicitly tells him that the man he is kneeling doesn't have a pulse, but instead of taking the opportunity to check and perhaps resuscitate him, he deliberately holds his position to ensure that he finishes the job.

That is cold blooded, intentional murder. I'm sorry but I can't see how it could possibly be anything else and a 25 year sentence is ludicrously insufficient.
When they killed Philandro Castillo the jury could not convict the cop due to the specific wording of the law regarding culpable negligence being the main factor of his acquittal and it will probably be the same. They have ways to not prosecute cops.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I’m not trolling I swear - I’m not actively avoiding questions. I admit I don’t have the answers to overcome 400 years of surfing and injustice.

I wish I hadn’t made the moral high ground comment as I feel this has failed to articulate what I wanted to say. I tried to say that there is just cause for people to wanting action but if people resort to violence in seeking it, there is a risk that their cause gets overshadowed by the violence they too commit
Couldn't answer before, apologies. There is also another stance I don't understand.
You only seem to see murder and then violent reaction while the chain of events looks more like murder, protest and unrest which in some cases was indeed violent. And then that unrest being dealt with sheer and unexplainable brutality from police forces in many cases where they had zero reason to do so.

If protesters don't help their case as you say can you explain me how this police behaviour helps in calming things down. How it helps in repairing their image and people's trust?

diarm

The jury may convict the defendant of a lesser included charge even if they acquit them of the most serious charge, and in a murder trial they are always instructed that they have this option.

Note that the officer was charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter. If a jury found that they didn’t believe he committed murder, they could still convict him of manslaughter. Another example would be someone being charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment. You have to falsely imprison to kidnap, so even if you aren’t convicted of kidnapping, the prosecution might still prove you falsely imprisoned.

Now with the evidence of that body cam audio... if legit... they could raise the charges to a higher degree of murder and now have 3rd degree as the lesser charge.
Cheers. That's the route you would hope they take, provided of course that the body cam audio evidence is as reported.

Being honest, I'd argue for that course of action even without that extra bodycam evidence and based solely on the video footage and witness testimony, but I can understand why more knowledgeable people than I suggest otherwise.

Stacks

Sorry for not replying, just seen these. Yes, I agree.

As @SilentWitness also states, UK and USA (also Spain, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden) history is specifically rooted in the enslavement of black people and the slave trade, no matter how much some people try to whitewash the history. Most of these nations also had colonies which pillaged, raped and abused BAME countries too. At certain points of history, what we now consider as racist and inhumane acts were perfectly legal and moral.

Despite best efforts of many, some people in those countries still hold onto these beliefs; and practice in plain sight like Chauvin or most often hidden behind layers of disguise like Amy Cooper (ie: racial discrimination in education, social mobility, professional employment etc).

It's not surprising to me that George Floyd's tragedy is resonating with people in above countries, and those they have subjugated.

One major turning point in this outrage is that finally, many Millennials and Gen X without direct lived experience are also outraged enough to join the street protests. That didn't happen in Rodney King or the major race riots in UK and USA 1960s and is something noteworthy and to be hopeful about.
Don't let Belgium off the hook.

edcunited1878

Not necessarily that they dont care as there are many black Americans who dont condone violence. Would you say the violence is NECESSARY to force the government to reform the police and their practices as well as actually give them legit punishment and jail time or in other words, revoke their "get out of jail free card?" I feel the police feel too protected, are poorly trained and have low regard of life. There have been plenty of riots over the years and still and no change after. How effective is it?
I don't want to answer for @villain but just like to provide input and feedback as you have good questions.

Violence is more and more important (necessary if you want to say) as a tool to show tangible intent and seriousness. It's visceral and causes reaction that (should) reverberates up, down, left, and right. However, police are protected which is fine, but not fine when corrupted officials, elected mostly, feel they are threatened when it comes to their political aspirations or legacy, of which was build on people.

I don't think police are poorly trained nor do they have a low regard of life. What isn't said, is that police are not mentally or emotionally supported or vetted throughout their careers. As with 'normal' citizens, they go through different phases in their life, just like people in their careers. The further you're in a job and gaining promotions or status/positions or tenure, you have different views and opinions. And at times, your fundamentals or core oaths, especially as it relates to police....you go away from it because you're "better than that" or they just not that same person who took those oaths.

I come from a military and law enforcement family and know of people who are in law enforcement. They aren't bad people, however their occupation as a public law enforcement officer does change their attitudes a bit and they do see things differently. What is unfortunate is that those people who do their duty responsibly and proudly are painted in a negative light and then fear for themselves more and more. They don't have the proper emotional and mental support from within their department and within the public eye (i.e. media).

The former police officer who initiated the murder of George Floyd held him down using a technique that is not part of his training and he neglected the safety of Floyd. He wasn't a threat to their well being or others around him, so the nature and force of his arrest was illegitimate and eventually caused his death.

Carolina Red

Staff
did you see the rent VDO of the officers "doing something inside their car" ... suspected they were beating Floyd George inside the car before taking him outside into the knee neck crank

https://nypost.com/2020/05/31/video-appears-to-show-cops-george-floyd-struggling-amid-arrest/

That’s going to end up being an interesting bit of cross examination. The cop will likely have the defense say he was resisting in the car to try and muddy the water for the jury.

roseguy64

Fair challenge, I guess peaceful protests haven’t helped. This problem is obviously bigger than that, I just struggle to condone violent responses when innocent people are going to get caught in the crossfire.

If nothing else, I hope this broader media attention finally puts pressure on institutions/governments to push for the change that is needed.

Again apologies to those that I’ve angered - there isn’t / wasn’t an agenda on my part.
Innocent people are always caught in the crossfire during war. Unfortunate circumstance.

edcunited1878

did you see the rent VDO of the officers "doing something inside their car" ... suspected they were beating Floyd George inside the car before taking him outside into the knee neck crank

https://nypost.com/2020/05/31/video-appears-to-show-cops-george-floyd-struggling-amid-arrest/

But even then, which is probably why they did this to begin with, they are inside the vehicle and unless there's clear, substantial evidence that the officers are kicking the shit out of George Floyd, it's a nothing burger (unfortunately). Then you have the coroner and then an independent 3rd party examiner examine his body for physical assault and then the prosecution showing, some how, before and after images that show Floyd center around this specific situation.

You can have a divided jury on something like this because it's an assumption at the end of the day. And the prosecution is going to go after criminal charges that have clear, substantial evidence that line up and support, without question, their charges that can be translated to a trial jury.