Protests following the killing of George Floyd

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First of all it’s a fact not a belief that things are so much better now than they were during the era of Rosa Parks. How is this even a point of contention?

Secondly, I have stated that I understand that the protests are a result of police brutality. I also clearly and unequivocally stated that I support BLM.

You obviously have no interest in understanding my POV. You have no intention of engaging in a rational discourse as you have been insulting me from the very beginning while telling me not to procreate so you’re not taking the high ground here. If the only thing you can contribute is ad hominems how can you expect anyone to respect you or engage with you in a meaningful way? Why should I treat you with respect when you insult me?

You are in no position to accuse me of making strawman arguments or shifting of point when you haven’t made any arguments or points worth discussing.
I’m not insulting you, I’m just making light of your dubious intelligence on the matter. I posit that things aren’t that much better, perhaps only superficially. The fact that you bring up that there was a black president & that speaks for the advancement only shows your shallowness on the matter. I just don’t want your flawed logic to continue, that’s why I made the procreation statement. And, to levy criticism on someone stating that they are shifting the goal posts only heightens your ignorance. It’s more simple to try to back-engineer a defense after being called out on a position. No worries, though, it’s obvious with whom I am arguing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Also this Coudery bloke doesn't seem all that trustworthy as a source

No, a quick check of his Twitter page somewhat disqualifies him as a credible source. I love the ‘first aid bag’ non sequitur tossed in for absolution. No quaint first aid kit is gonna help someone he shot point blank in the head.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Protect & serve
a few bad apples
etc
What will be interesting is when the studies of how aligned the police are with the proud boys / bugaloo boys / right wing militias come out. It’s patently obvious now how intertwined they are.

A solid bet - right now Joe Arpaio is masturbating with gleeful intensity while watching this clip on a continual loop.

edit - apparently this clip is from 2018, but it is no less shameful & fully encapsulates the mindset of most policw.

Last edited:

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He's already been charged with first degree murder a day later. There's video evidence of him admitting it doing it, multiple witnesses. What more do you want, you fecking imbecile? Stand right next to him and cheer him on, while he's doing it?!
Post #7767. My position was correct.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What will be interesting is when the studies of how aligned the police are with the proud boys / bugaloo boys / right wing militias come out. It’s patently obvious now how intertwined they are.

A solid bet - right now Joe Arpaio is masturbating with gleeful intensity while watching this clip on a continual loop.
Well in America specifically they began as slave patrols & they've always been aligned with right wing militias, especially after slavery was abolished. They became a way to continue to catch & enslave black people, and get them to work for free, or kill black people with little/no punishment. Nothing has changed, and yet people wonder why black people are angry & restless.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well in America specifically they began as slave patrols & they've always been aligned with right wing militias, especially after slavery was abolished. They became a way to continue to catch & enslave black people, and get them to work for free, or kill black people with little/no punishment. Nothing has changed, and yet people wonder why black people are angry & restless.
Arpaio was born just a few years too late. He would have rejoiced being in such patrols.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Incel wears more eyeliner than his mom (picture of him in his cute little youth SS gear & his proud momma a little ways down the replies).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Would love to see her get charged & arrested also. Wonder what the Illinois / Wisconsin laws are for a parent of a murdering youth who obtains a weapon illegally?
Based on how WI people feel about IL people I am going to assume she's up for the chair.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’m not insulting you, I’m just making light of your dubious intelligence on the matter. I posit that things aren’t that much better, perhaps only superficially. The fact that you bring up that there was a black president & that speaks for the advancement only shows your shallowness on the matter. I just don’t want your flawed logic to continue, that’s why I made the procreation statement. And, to levy criticism on someone stating that they are shifting the goal posts only heightens your ignorance. It’s more simple to try to back-engineer a defense after being called out on a position. No worries, though, it’s obvious with whom I am arguing.
I'm not sure this tone helps, except if you're sure @Mastadon is discussing in bad faith.

In any case, I agree that @Mastadon seems to severely underestimate the current situation of Black people in the US. Yes, things have improved since the 1950s, but while that's good (obviously), they are still nowhere near where they should be. Consequently, Black people have no reason to be complacent, let alone grateful (I know that wasn't said, but just to be clear), and plenty to be frustrated and angry about.

One example: redlining and housing laws mean that Black people for the longest time could not move out of their areas and could not get mortgages. As a result, many of them lived, and still live, in impoverished neighbourhoods without the means to do something about it. (Since they don't own the houses and can't build up wealth.) Further, since schools are paid through local taxes and people are poor in these areas, education is poor. Effectively, this creates a poverty loop.

Under Obama, finally a law was introduced that was supposed to create more social diversity in housing and thus help people stuck in these situations. That was nice, but came decades after the 50s/60s, when these previous practices became illegal and remedying measures should have been taken. Further, this law was annulled by Trump just a few weeks ago. To add insult to injury, the motivation was clearly racist: his comments that he would protect suburban home owners from increased criminality and property devaluation is obvious (to everyone in the US) code for 'keeping blacks out of white neighbourhoods'.

In that environment, protests have accomplished nothing. So it's understandable that the frustration and anger boil over - and do so increasingly while police brutality continues and the federal leadership becomes noticeably more racist. I don't think anyone here on Redcafe is saying that riots and looting are good ways to get your point across; but given the above, I think it makes sense that most people here understand why Black people are now responding to yet another blatant and murderous injustice in this way. (Ignoring even the proven role of agents provocateurs from the right in these events.)

TL;DR: the idea of a moral equivalency between the violent protestors and these vigilantes is simply untenable. (To which it should also be added that violence is relatively uncommon; BLM protests have been ongoing for months now across the US, and how often have you heard about riots?)

Halftrack

You should read this:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/939/III/48

Any decent prosecutor will get the conviction. The psyco kid will go to jail for a long time.
I wouldn't say it's clear-cut, but if he was the instigator (pointing his gun at people or making verbal threats) then that significantly weakens any self-defense claim.

The law does permit the use of lethal force, if you believe you're in danger of great bodily harm or death, and if you have exhausted all other options to avoid it. Given that someone fired a warning shot, a reasonable claim can be made that he thought the first victim, who was running after him, was the one who fired the shot, thus there's room to claim he thought he was going to die

The second incident, where he killed one and injured another, he had several people bearing down on him (one kicked him, another hit him with a skateboard, while a third had a handgun), so again room to claim he was fearing for his life.

It sickens me that this little fascist shit even has a chance to snake out of this, because I'm convinced he was hoping to get to shoot someone.

hobbers

TL;DR: the idea of a moral equivalency between the violent protestors and these vigilantes is simply untenable.
See, it actually isn't untenable. You can't shrug off violent riots/looting/arson (carried out by diverse groups I might add, both in terms of wealth and skin colour) and say it's morally superior to business owners or home owners trying to protect their property. Because it simply isn't. Regardless of what started the protests, regardless of endemic racism, regardless of the background of the rioters, regardless of whether there are proud boys or boogaloos mixed in with the people just trying to protect their properties.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
See, it actually isn't untenable. You can't shrug off violent riots/looting/arson (carried out by diverse groups I might add, both in terms of wealth and skin colour) and say it's morally superior to business owners or home owners trying to protect their property. Because it simply isn't. Regardless of what started the protests, regardless of endemic racism, regardless of the background of the rioters, regardless of whether there are proud boys or boogaloos mixed in with the people just trying to protect their properties.
Yeah, so when an argument has to be qualified with that many regardless..es(?) it’s like a shit argument.

Just checked, it is.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
hobbers on video showing white guy chasing black people with a sword said:
Looks like the guy who was originally chased with the sword (who reddit called the skateboarding black kid) is the one who inflicted the worst damage. Hitting him repeatedly over the head with his skateboard. Vile little runt.

Don't know the preceding events obviously
but he was having rocks thrown at him and rounded on by at least 3 guys before he went on that wild charge. Probably lost his mind to fear.
hobbers on video of black youths beating up white couple killing zero said:
That store owner getting beaten to death with boots, rocks and planks... what sub human scum they are. Sort of thing you'd expect to see in an ISIS promo video.
hobbers on white kid with semi-automatic rifle in the street shooting BLM protester in the head then one in the leg then one in the abdomen killing 2 said:
Dunno about the first shooting, which is what I assume he's been arrested for. But the second and third are pretty clearly self defence arent they?
hobbers on black man in car being shot at by police said:
Would probably have not spent a full minute encouraging the cops to keep shooting tear gas at his pregnant girlfriend.
hobbers on video of black man being aggressively removed from vehicle said:
Well we don't know if he was compliant with police from before he started recording but I doubt it.

The bottom line though
is that, the officer saying stupid aggressive things aside, because of his behaviour that guy was always going to have to be physically removed from the car and doing so was justified. And that would have happened exactly the same had he been white.
hobbers view on black rights organisation said:
Before now the only things I associated BLM UK with were blocking ambulances on motorways and shutting down student libraries.

And the 'mass protests amid a pandemic for a virus that hits black people the hardest' strategy isn't doing much to change my general view of their approach to things.
hobbers' first response to George Floyd protesters outside Whitehouse said:
Rise of the neckbeards.
hobbers on the potential racial element to a Trump tweet said:
Certainly not anywhere other than America.

Although I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Trump call mostly white antifa rioters thugs multiple times. And as has been said Obama referred to both rioters and terrorists as thugs.
Audit complete. No comments to add.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Amercia is owned and controlled. That's what debt does. But the ones talking about systemic racism are marxists and that's the problem in many parts. You cannot have these ideologies in a healthy nation. So America is in trouble. It goes beyond politics. They pull down statues, not because of any other reason then they are marxists but they are very tricky with language. This floyd stuff, has been ridden hard by these people. It's one thing to think a certain way, it's another not only to do what they've done but for it to be allowed.....during a pandemic. With them science folk saying...they not spreading anything......of course they ain't (while you accuse churches oh and cash is very bad...) . But they used one perceived form of racism and enacted their agenda using another. In English, they're created this narrative that cops are racist. So much so that people might make that assumption. And once it happened, the marxists infiltrated and used what happened for their own selfish ends. And they're evil. But people don't get, you cannot eradicate racism because it's the marxists that use it. It is a political tool. They are behind it. They want you to talk about it because people are too stupid to understand where racism comes from. That's why it's folly to think you can solve racism by thinking it's legitimate. Evil is the root and that's what it is and people should call it evil because it cannot bring any kind of peace. If they wanted to cure racism? They'd stop talking about it. It really is that simple.

arnie_ni

The reply section is such a cesspool. They are now trying to state that the scrote didn’t shoot anyone before the street scene, completely gaslighting the fact that he murdered someone just minutes earlier.
Isnt this the first shooting?

He then runs away from this, falls over and shoots the other 2 guys, killing one and almost taking the arm of another.

Is there a 3rd killing?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can we really say that nothing has changed? From Rosa Parks to Obama is a pretty big leap and things have definitely improved.

My own opinion is that acts of random looting are counter productive to the movement and gives ammunition to those on the other side. Instead of focusing on George Floyd and police brutality you now have a balancing act of criminal destruction caused by looters.
Yes we can say that nothing has changed, when people legitimately have the same major issues. People are still widely victim of police brutality, they are still denied basic amenities depending on the demographic of their community, they are still stigmatized. And Obama "the muslim", the US senator who was repeatadly asked to prove that he was american isn't exactly an example that I would use.

And I haven't addressed it before but acts of looting aren't part of the movement, you don't know who are the looters and for what its worth the other side as you call it has been part of it, Umbrella man being an iconic example.

Drainy

How can anyone at Fox News allow this?

There is a rising sentiment in many states that the government needs to address the riots.

The longer it goes on the more the public will take their own actions and it will get worse.

But on the flip side aggressively dealing with the rioters will potentially be counter productive.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Such a shame that the original and well meaning message that Black Lives Matter is being destroyed by career protestors with seemingly no real life experience.
Only people who didn’t understand, agree with, or support ‘the original message’ of black lives matter think this way

side note: what do you understand that message to be?

fergieisold

Only people who didn’t understand, agree with, or support ‘the original message’ of black lives matter think this way

side note: what do you understand that message to be?
Completely disagree. You can support the idea that black lives matter as much as every other life (the key point the whole 'white lives matter' people don't understand).

BLM (the political group) seem to be a group of privileged kids with nothing better to do protesting about privilege.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Completely disagree. You can support the idea that black lives matter as much as every other life (the key point the whole 'white lives matter' people don't understand).

BLM (the political group) seem to be a group of privileged kids with nothing better to do protesting about privilege.
Firstly - anyone who doesn't support the notion that black lives matter equally as any other life is not only ignorant, but racist too.

However, before I answer I pose these to you:
  • Define 'the political group' of BLM with citations.
  • Define 'privileged kids'
  • Define privilege in the context you've provided.

fergieisold

Firstly - anyone who doesn't support the notion that black lives matter equally as any other life is not only ignorant, but racist too.

However, before I answer I pose these to you:
  • Define 'the political group' of BLM with citations.
  • Define 'privileged kids'
  • Define privilege in the context you've provided.
I haven't got the time to right a well cited essay but BLM are too left wing for me. And the context was from the video with the guy in the truck. The privilege is having no idea what it's like to work hard for a living and have your business burned down. All they did was shout a load of nonsense at him and then claim they'd burn his business down too. That's completely unacceptable in my eyes.

How anybody doesn't see black lives are as equal as everybody else is crazy to me, it's been painful the whole white lives matter crap.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I haven't got the time to right a well cited essay but BLM are too left wing for me. And the context was from the video with the guy in the truck. The privilege is having no idea what it's like to work hard for a living and have your business burned down. All they did was shout a load of nonsense at him and then claim they'd burn his business down too. That's completely unacceptable in my eyes.

How anybody doesn't see black lives are as equal as everybody else is crazy to me, it's been painful the whole white lives matter crap.
Ok if that's your entire understanding of BLM, then it makes sense to me why you have no understanding of what BLM is actually about.