Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

People not on Xbox look past gamepass and it's routinely glossed over on this forum, but it's the most killer thing on any console, and it's only really once you have it that you 'get' it

Best thing about PS5 for me has been the PS+ Collection, if Sony actually add to it and it wasn't just a launch perk or a token gamepads competitor then great.

A collection of top quality games that I can access at any point is worth far more to me than having to spend £50-70 on a single experience.

I wish Switch had something similar, and would happily pay £10+ a month for it.
I’ve had game pass on pc great value for money and good for catching up on old titles, but if you frequently bought games before it was a thing what is there really left to play.

The appeal for me from game pass would be to get it again in 3/4 years for a month and smash through the Xbox only games I missed.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
let’s just say if the Xbox had demons souls on launch and the ps5 people threw out but we have flight simulator coming the responses would be ridicule.
So what? People are stupid.

It looks fecking great, and from reviewers and those that have bought it, lives up to that.

There was a research analyst group recently whose findings suggested there'll be 2 million sales on PC in next few years which would lead to $2bn+ in hardware sales. And I can play it on my X without spending a penny thanks to gamepass. Cracking stuff.

Alock1

I’ve had game pass on pc great value for money and good for catching up on old titles, but if you frequently bought games before it was a thing what is there really left to play.

The appeal for me from game pass would be to get it again in 3/4 years for a month and smash through the Xbox only games I missed.
Well with the 20+ studios Xbox now has there should be a constant stream of new first party content added.

The third party additions recently have been really strong. Control, Yakuza collection and then great indies like Call of the Sea. Not forgetting the whole EA Play library.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Fair choice mate

There are some incredible games on Gamepass that you'd love, though I appreciate you are more about physical media and less subscriptions so model probably isn't for you. But games like Ori, Call of the Sea, Haven and so on..
Yeah, the whole downloading/subscription thing is defo good just not for me. Much rather get a game once or twice a year and get proper into that than go through a whole bunch of them on some server.

It’s looks bang average Olly, come on. It certainly doesn’t look next gen in any way other than slightly nicer graphics, which are very similar to AC’s
It looks great. Maybe there are games with better graphics, that are better technically and all that bollocks that sounds fancy on Digital Foundry videos, but it still looks great and it's nice to see big "AAA" games on non-Nintendo consoles where gameplay is the main focus in a sea of silly stuff where it seems validation of the hobby and being taken seriously is the goal over having a fun time.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It’s looks bang average Olly, come on. It certainly doesn’t look next gen in any way other than slightly nicer graphics, which are very similar to AC’s
Well...

There are rumours that the Demon Souls remake could see a PS4 launch, which (even if it doesn't) if there is any truth that they developed it for both consoles, it's not a proper Next Gen game (using my definition that a "proper" next game is a one that cannot run on last-gen hardware).

It's also a (ground up) remake of a PS3 game. A really good PS3 game, but a PS3 game. The level design will be a PS3 game.

All that being said, as far as I can tell, it's an actual bonafide next-gen title. And the PS3 title has not aged well :lol:

Alock1

Yeah, the whole downloading/subscription thing is defo good just not for me. Much rather get a game once or twice a year and get proper into that than go through a whole bunch of them on some server.
Hopefully you can get Ori physical edition at some point!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It looks great. Maybe there are games with better graphics, that are better technically and all that bollocks that sounds fancy on Digital Foundry videos, but it still looks great and it's nice to see big "AAA" games on non-Nintendo consoles where gameplay is the main focus in a sea of silly stuff where it seems validation of the hobby and being taken seriously is the goal over having a fun time.
I mean the game looks pretty run of the mill. Nothing we haven’t seen before. Nothing particularly next gen.

Sure it plays well, and that’s the main thing, but considering they keep yapping on about having next gen games it’s hardly mind blowing.

Me thinks it’s them clutching at straws after the mess Sony made of the ps5

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair @Alock1 has finished more Sony games than the PS fanboys on here.

Also nothing wrong with Flight Simulator.
Flight simulators are niche as feck yo...

I mean the game looks pretty run of the mill. Nothing we haven’t seen before. Nothing particularly next gen.

Sure it plays well, and that’s the main thing, but considering they keep yapping on about having next gen games it’s hardly mind blowing.

Me thinks it’s them clutching at straws after the mess Sony made of the ps5
WUM

Bosws87

I mean the game looks average. Nothing we haven’t seen before. Nothing particularly next gen
To any strict console user demon souls looks better then 95% games they have ever played.

majority of console people have never bothered with a pc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
To any strict console user demon souls looks better then 95% games they have ever played.

majority of console people have never bothered with a pc.
Looks better graphically? Obviously because we’ve just switched to the next gen. As a game it looks totally run of the mill though.

Bosws87

Looks better graphically? Obviously because we’ve just switched to the next gen. As a game it looks totally run of the mill though.
You can use that for the majority of games released.

have to go as far back as maybe portal to think of a truly unique game off the top of my head

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can use that for the majority of games released.

have to go as far back as maybe portal to think of a truly unique game off the top of my head
Oh I thought it was something special with everyone using it against Xbox for the last 6 months.

Alock1

To be fair, Demon Souls looks a bit run of the mill since it spawned a ton of sequels and copy cats but obviously when the original was created it had huge influence

I do think having a remaster as the most 'next gen' thing just shows why that sort of thinking is outdated though

rcoobc

To be fair, Demon Souls looks a bit run of the mill since it spawned a ton of sequels and copy cats but obviously when the original was created it had huge influence

I do think having a remaster as the most 'next gen' thing just shows why that sort of thinking is outdated though
It's a remake, not a remaster.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Well...

There are rumours that the Demon Souls remake could see a PS4 launch, which (even if it doesn't) if there is any truth that they developed it for both consoles, it's not a proper Next Gen game (using my definition that a "proper" next game is a one that cannot run on last-gen hardware).

It's also a (ground up) remake of a PS3 game. A really good PS3 game, but a PS3 game. The level design will be a PS3 game.

All that being said, as far as I can tell, it's an actual bonafide next-gen title. And the PS3 title has not aged well :lol:
Look at the graphic effects. Run up to a wall and see the level of occlusion and scattering. The last gen of consoles couldn't come close to those basic updates that change how it is seen, and that's not even close to touching on the shadowing/lighting. They had versions of course, but nothing like this.

Of course when we look at games and what's "next gen" people always have their opinions, it used to be much simpler when it was just bit depth! But there's things being done in Demon's Souls that simply couldn't be done on the pro or the X not matter how much you reduce the resolution or the poly count.

Oh and not to channel /weaste, but you could put a modern Cell (or a cluster of the PS3 ones) in these new machines and their potential would skyrocket. That thing, despite being an absolute pain for game developers, was ridiculously before it's time.

rcoobc

Walking down a linear route, combat looks like any other game, smash a table to bits, bash through a gate.

Which part of these vids warrants the shit they’ve dished out for months about having a next gen game?
You are 100% correct, it's a game designed for PS3.

I had the same problem with the R&C remake, it's PS2 level design is so bland now. Actually, the problem with R&C PS4 is the game never, ever, shuts up.

Redlambs

Stop trying to talk sense to Alock (and his tiny little sidekick Veeva) on this.

Walking down a linear route, combat looks like any other game, smash a table to bits, bash through a gate.

Which part of these vids warrants the shit they’ve dished out for months about having a next gen game?
On the one hand that's true, but on the other you could reduce most games to that level. Besides, how many of the souls games have you played? Because Linear level to level, but certainly not in the worlds themselves.

Alock1

Semantics

My point stands either way. I'm not saying it isn't impressive, I am saying that the fact it's an 10+ year old game at it's core means it loses some of its next gen ness (for me!), which tends to be focused on graphics.

I want better AI, new experiences, different ways of playing to define something being next gen. Something that a game like Flight Sim definitely brings, however niche it is :)

rcoobc

Semantics

My point stands either way. I'm not saying it isn't impressive, I am saying that the fact it's an 10+ year old game at it's core means it loses some of its next gen ness (for me!), which tends to be focused on graphics.

I want better AI, new experiences, different ways of playing to define something being next gen. Something that a game like Flight Sim definitely brings, however niche it is :)
Definitely true.

But sorry, by the flight sim comes to XSX PS5 will have a bunch of next gen games too. It's not a launch window title

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12...mulator-coming-to-xbox-series-xs-summer-2021/

Redlambs

Semantics

You and me both brother.

You think we are going to get that though? Convince me not be be pessimistic, especially on the A.I front :(

Redlambs

Definitely true.

But sorry, by the flight sim comes to XSX PS5 will have a bunch of next gen games too. It's not a launch window title

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12...mulator-coming-to-xbox-series-xs-summer-2021/
The series X simply cannot handle it in it's current state. If a high end PC struggles, which is traditional with the Flight Sim games (who here actually bought the first btw?), there's no chance a mid-level console will do it justice.

What they will do is wait for the hype to die down then introduce it hoping the likes of digital foundry will not go too harsh in on it.

Bosws87

Semantics

Talking cliche, your basically bigging up the company that does exactly what your hammering demon souls for,

Microsoft is built on sequel after sequel of halo and gears of war :lol:

Alock1

Definitely true.

I already said it's coming in the summer. And for me, it'll be the most impressive and 'next gen' thing on either console.

You and me both brother.

You think we are going to get that though? Convince me not be be pessimistic, especially on the A.I front :(
I am forcing myself not to be exciting by the Perfect Dark stuff coming out from Initiative. It sounds like a United signing that you know just won't work even though it should.

Clearly loads of talent on show and they are really rethinking both delivery model and also mixing up the game design

But yeah - could all fall down so I am just slightly optimistic at this point

Redlambs

What do the Xbox guys think of the Perfect Dark announcement?
The ones like Alock will love it I'm sure, because they have to, but knowing some of the guys who worked on the original I am left shaking my head.

As a gamer and someone who will feck up any pro controller player on the original, I hope it's great. But I just can't see it being done justice :(

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What do the Xbox guys think of the Perfect Dark announcement?
I remember enjoying the og, but that means nothing here.

I’m hopeful and excited by what could be, but I don’t know what that is, unless I’ve missed a load of info. Looking forward to seeing more.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The ones like Alock will love it I'm sure, because they have to, but knowing some of the guys who worked on the original I am left shaking my head.

As a gamer and someone who will feck up any pro controller player on the original, I hope it's great. But I just can't see it being done justice :(
Fair enough! It’s not a series I’m too familiar with, but it’s always exciting to see new games announced! Hope the Xbox guys enjoy it.

Alock1

Talking cliche, your basically bigging up the company that does exactly what your hammering demon souls for,

Microsoft is built on sequel after sequel of halo and gears of war :lol:
I'm not hammering Demon Souls what are you talking about. I've said it's impressive I just don't think a 10+ year game can really be 'next gen' outside of the graphics focus which is less important to me.

Xbox haven't done anything yet either on that front, I haven't said they have. Though I was saying Flight Sim could well be that, even if only for someone sad like me apparently.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I remember enjoying the og, but that means nothing here.

I’m hopeful and excited by what could be, but I don’t know what that is, unless I’ve missed a load of info. Looking forward to seeing more.
I saw a rumour that it might be episodic? But that might be rubbish.

Redlambs

I already said it's coming in the summer. And for me, it'll be the most impressive and 'next gen' thing on either console.

I am forcing myself not to be exciting by the Perfect Dark stuff coming out from Initiative. It sounds like a United signing that you know just won't work even though it should.

Clearly loads of talent on show and they are really rethinking both delivery model and also mixing up the game design

But yeah - could all fall down so I am just slightly optimistic at this point

Right on time! :lol:

But yeah, I really want it to be something, but they should have Rare doing the work inhouse fully.

I think it's time the current Rare stopped acting like they are anything like the past guys, and start focusing on their own strengths. Sea of Thieves is a massively underrated games in general gamer circles, it's something that's actually true to the core values. They could take this and push it on, I'm sure. I'm very dubious of the kind of talent involved, not because they aren't great at what they do, but because I think this game needs that dedication of a focused team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I saw a rumour that it might be episodic? But that might be rubbish.
Someone said that in here. That sounds interesting. So long as it’s on game pass I don’t see it being an issue. It could mean for a more engrossing story, as I’d expect them to want you to want to come back for the next one.

Bosws87

Someone said that in here. That sounds interesting. So long as it’s on game pass I don’t see it being an issue. It could mean for a more engrossing story, as I’d expect them to want you to want to come back for the next one.
Hopefully the wait won’t be like ff7 remake, not convinced we will ever see that finished

Alock1

Right on time! :lol:

But yeah, I really want it to be something, but they should have Rare doing the work inhouse fully.

I think it's time the current Rare stopped acting like they are anything like the past guys, and start focusing on their own strengths. Sea of Thieves is a massively underrated games in general gamer circles, it's something that's actually true to the core values. They could take this and push it on, I'm sure. I'm very dubious of the kind of talent involved, not because they aren't great at what they do, but because I think this game needs that dedication of a focused team.
To be fair mate that seems a bit contradictory.

If we want Rare to focus on the future, their own strengths, and not compare them to the Rare of old, it makes sense to not give an old Rare IP.

Redlambs

To be fair mate that seems a bit contradictory.

If we want Rare to focus on the future, their own strengths, and not compare them to the Rare of old, it makes sense to not give an old Rare IP.
No, I meant in that they keep harping on to the old stuff but never really doing anything with it. Nothing good anyway.

I have faith the team that made SoT could tackle a genuine update. I would rather PD was left alone, but if anyone could do it I'd trust them over some rag tag bunch from the likes of Activision. I didn't make that bit clear I guess!

JP77

It's probably been asked and discussed in here but can anybody give me honest option on which console to go for? I've had the okay to get one so going to pick it up hopefully around the start of February. So torn on what to go with. I've had pretty much every console over the years so don't really have much of a preference. I don't have a large group of friends that have either console either so I'm completely in the middle. What's the pros and cons so far of both consoles and the same going forward?

I think my biggest worry is that right now it looks like I'll only be able to afford the digital versions, which I was quite against on the One and PS4. Am I massively wrong in thinking disc based games are usually more cheaper and on sale more often? There's then the downside of having to download the games on top of that worry. Can anybody convince me digital isn't much different to the disc version in terms of price racked up over time?

I saw it discussed a bit a few pages back, what's the general option on the PS5's haptic feedback? It sounds amazing but is it just something that's going to fizzle out when the shine wears off? I love the idea of it on a game like Fifa especially or any sports game but the issue I have is that most of my time on sports games is spent online, so the addition of the haptic stuff becomes a bit pointless as it can be turned off online so you'd be potentially playing with a disadvantage if you're using it in a mode like FUT while your opponent isn't? How good is it so far though and how big do people think it will be going forward? Nothing like this on the XBOX?

Thanks for any help guys.