PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
At PSG fans, which one hurts the most between the Barca remontada and losing against this depleted United :D ?
The Barca one hurt a lot, now I am vaccinated. This didn't even feel worse than Guingamp.

Eddy_JukeZ

A serial bottler club.

They'll never win the Champions League.

Money can get you Neymar and Mbappe, but it can't get you character.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The thing is they weren’t even terrible today and they were controlling the game as they should. It’s unbelievable what happened. United had 0 shots in that second half before the penalty.

Not sure if you can even call them out for their mentality or if you can call out Tuchel for his tactics.

It was surreal. A bit like Bayern vs Madrid in last year’s semifinals.
Even before the penalty they were losing at home and hardly troubled our defense in second half.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
PSGs in game management was abysmal. As soon as it got to 1-1 the match should have been over. Even when we took the lead all PSG had to do was keep the ball.

For me, as a United fan, last night will be hard to top for all the right reasons. Were I a PSG fan I'd feel the same in reverse. Solskjaer brought on Chong and Greenwood, two kids, to go for the game. At that point an experienced team just keeps the ball and runs down the clock. Instead PSG continued to attack and offer us opportunities to transition.

PSG can cry about the penalty (which was correctly awarded). However, the only ones the PSG fans should blame for the fact they were facing an attack in stoppage time are their own players. If they had their heads screwed on the ball would have spent stoppage time by our corner flag.

An Irish Red

PSG can cry about the penalty (which was correctly awarded). However, the only ones the PSG fans should blame for the fact they were facing an attack in stoppage time are their own players. If they had their heads screwed on the ball would have spent stoppage time by our corner flag.
The only reason they had a two-goal lead to begin with was because Kimpembe, who scored their opener, got away with a blatant red card.

If we were against ten men like we should have been then it's a very different tie. They can't complain at all (even more so because the penalty decision was correct).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Their league structure leaves them mentally unprepared for the hard graft of Europe.

RoyH1

A serial bottler club.

This. So much this.
The best long term for them is for Qatar to sell them to an owner that will bet on a long term strategy, based on acquiring the best French talent. Strengthen your identity and move away from the frenzied marketing strategy they have now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A serial bottler club.

Unless if They hire Brendan, which is too late now. He'd die for Leicester.

Said all along, whether it was us or whoever they faced in the next stage, they were due their annual knockout stage spanking. It's nothing to do with bottle. They're just not as good as they're talked up to be.

Verratti, Mbappe, Di Maria and Silva are good. The rest are nothing special.

I'd love Verratti here. He was their entire midfield for most of both legs.

Treble

That was a big blow for their project. Can see them struggling to attract great players and keep their current best players. After the Barca 6:1 fiasco, that was brutal.

Last edited:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
That was a big blow for their project. Can see them struggling to attract great players and keep their current best players. After the Barca 6:1 fiasco, that was brutal.
Possibly, although money somewhat talk.

Personally if I was a top player who could decide where to go I would not want to play in a league for a club that dominate to the extent PSG does because there is less to win. I would much rather play for a club where there are several trophies that would feel important to win such as in Spain and England.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Their league structure leaves them mentally unprepared for the hard graft of Europe.
Mainly this, too big difference in standard, and Galactico teams almost never work.

Most successful sides in Europe have a core of home grown players plus one or two big signings. Just spending unlimited money doesn't work well.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Celtic won the European Cup 3 years before PSG came into existence.

Heritage.
I don't give a shit!

They're a plastic club that wins the league because of the money invested.feck em!

Monaco,Lyon,Bordeaux.. respect!

SER19

Are we the toast of France now? I imagine these guys are despised there?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think there is probably about right, the players will be fresher than most teams but they're just not used to playing high intensity games against decent oppo week in week out.

Irwin99

From an objective point of view the first goal they conceded was absolutely criminal and set the tone early. You can’t concede a goal like that in such circumstances. Especially after the Ajax game the night before.

cyberman

Their pissing around with possession hurt them. United were always going to have moments, all that dancing about achieved was limit the amount of times they moved around our back 4 (as soon as we sorted rightback out)
It went from a 90 minute game to maybe half that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol:
Sure mate
I think you've misunderstood his point. He's not devaluing United's win but underlining the psychological baggage that already weighs heavily in any knockout CL tie since. That's not very hard to understand given the situation we were in months ago. I was laughing at how bad we were in that tragic last game against Liverpool. It didn't hurt the same way for obvious reasons.

Schneckerl

I think you've misunderstood his point. He's not devaluing United's win but underlining the psychological baggage that already weighs heavily in any knockout CL tie since. That's not very hard to understand given the situation we were in months ago. I was laughing at how bad we were in that tragic last game against Liverpool. It didn't hurt the same way for obvious reasons.
Still hard to believe. After all the investment they've made to not repeat the 1-6, you'd expect to get improvement instead of creating the same terrible experience again.

Brwned

Still hard to believe. After all the investment they've made to not repeat the 1-6, you'd expect to get improvement instead of creating the same terrible experience again.
Oh absolutely. I think after a while you just kind of settle into that bizarre reality though. That's where I was at by the Liverpool fiasco.

I wonder if there's ever been a similar story to PSG's recent European struggles. Pretty sure it's unique in CL times. I don't agree with anyone that says it's evidence they're good not good enough. It is something more. Chiellini's cutting analysis of spurs, that kind of mystical component of tradition, really does play a role IMO. Hard to know why though!

ti vu

Oh absolutely. I think after a while you just kind of settle into that bizarre reality though. That's where I was at by the Liverpool fiasco.

I wonder if there's ever been a similar story to PSG's recent European struggles. Pretty sure it's unique in CL times. I don't agree with anyone that says it's evidence they're good not good enough. It is something more. Chiellini's cutting analysis of spurs, that kind of mystical component of tradition, really does play a role IMO. Hard to know why though!
Real Madrid post Del Bosque and pre Mourinho.

It's not Tottenham, Arsenal post Highsbury kind of mentality, but rather a team that players have too much power and play as individuals, and not for anyone: the shirt, the fan, the coach...

Clearly this team doesn't lack winner or experience. Just the discipline.

Brwned

Real Madrid post Del Bosque and pre Mourinho.

It's not Tottenham, Arsenal post Highsbury kind of mentality, but rather a team that players have too much power and play as individuals, and not for anyone: the shirt, the fan, the coach...

Clearly this team doesn't lack winner or experience. Just the discipline.
Good call! Although I don't think their period lasted quite as long. Immediately post del Bosque I think they were very similar but by the time the likes of Wanderlei Luxemburgo (or whatever his name is) came in, they weren't a very impressive group of individuals never mind team. A level below PSG in my book. Or do you think I'm overrating them?

By the time Mourinho came around they were much stronger. I think he deserves a lot of credit for raising their level as a team though.

Agree about the discipline too. That's probably the most tangible thing you can point to.

Bojan11

The one sided league doesn’t help them.

Look at Bayern. They reached two finals when they were competing with Klopps Dortmund. Once they started signing Dortmund’s best players and weakening them, it turned the league into a one horse race and it didn’t help Pep at all. When Bayern won it in 01 they won the league also by one point. Stronger and more competitive league helps you.

T_Model101

I swear when it was 1-1 one of their players was doing kick ups with the ball
What kind of professional mentality is that? :lol:

ti vu

Good call! Although I don't think their period lasted quite as long. Immediately post del Bosque I think they were very similar but by the time the likes of Wanderlei Luxemburgo (or whatever his name is) came in, they weren't a very impressive group of individuals never mind team. A level below PSG in my book. Or do you think I'm overrating them?

By the time Mourinho came around they were much stronger. I think he deserves a lot of credit for raising their level as a team though.

Agree about the discipline too. That's probably the most tangible thing you can point to.
The run of getting eliminated by round of 16 started from 04–05 till 09-10 (03-04 they was eliminated in quarter final). It's very comparable in length, and worse when you considered the height Madrid was in CL under Del Bosque.

The tenure of Camacho, Capello, Luxemburgo, Bernd Schuster were more comparable to pre Mbappe and Neymar PSG. World Class players Madrid have, but not World Best award winning tier. Sneijder, Robben were world class and spear head their next team to high level.

Pellegrini short tenure is comparable to these past couple seasons: Benzema couldn't be integrated, Kaka didn't work out and injuries got in the way, Higuain was prolific but side effect was Ronaldo was not really established as the go to man when it come to goal (Ronaldo was still considered as big player for small games in this season). It's under Mourinho where all the stake was placed in Ronaldo hand and it paid off. Benzema didn't become the all world best player tier forward he was hyped but he was a great asset to elevate Ronaldo with Higuain took a lesser role, lest him choking on important moment.This PSG has that feeling that their certain top players yet to reach their full capability.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
They have four stars with Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe and Veratti + an aging Thiago Silva. The rest of the team is nothing special at all (excluding Paredes, who I don't know). Other top teams have simply more quality in the squad.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They have four stars with Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe and Veratti + an aging Thiago Silva. The rest of the team is nothing special at all (excluding Paredes, who I don't know). Other top teams have simply more quality in the squad.
You can add Marquinhos to the list of PSG elite players. There aren't many clubs in Europe where ADM wouldn't start either.