PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I know where you finish in the group determines if you play home or away in the next round but just curious from my fellow Liverpool supporters would you rather have had VVD suspended for the home or the away leg?
Oh the home leg definitely. We'll need our big players for the second leg/away game.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
If you think we are even remotely as poor as we were last season under Mr. Harakiri you are in for a big surprise.

Time to settle the score once and for all. Two years ago you embarassed yourselves by fielding a B squad and getting slaughtered in the process in Dortmund, last year you completely deserved to win vs. a Dortmund in shambles. This time they probably finally meet in good form and with a lot on the line. Probably the closest tie of the round, a proper 50-50 match, maybe with a tiny edge for us as the deciding game will be played in Dortmund.
We've been to Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona the last 12 months and remained undefeated. Spurs can definitely go to Dortmund and get a draw at the very least. Plus the home leg will be one of the first games in our new stadium. The white wall versus the yellow wall :)

No doubt Dortmund are on fire this season, but hard to say how strong you are compared to Spurs. The likes of Sancho, Reus, Alcacer, Pulisic do not compare favorably to Kane, Eriksen, Son, Alli. I think only Reus gets in for Alli there. Saying that, Alli is coming back into his best form recently.

Much depends on injuries and who has their best players fit in Feb/March, it will be a very even game for sure.

Treble

Messi is hungry and most of the team still angry about the unexpected travestry of a game at Roma. Plus playing vs Pepus is always an extra motivation, especially for Messi. And Busquets-Vidal can cancel De Bruyne-Aguero out any day of the week.

Juventus has Ronaldo. Enough said. And italian teams are always a harsh mountain to climb in knockout stages. Plus experienced TopTop CBs.

PSG. If Neymar and-or Mbappé play to kill they are unstoppable for any team, even Juve. And don't be fooled by the Group stage matches. Totally different vibe.

City sure can trash Cardiff or Brighton, but that's about it. And Liverpool? Better chances than City, I'll admit that.
City beat Barca 3:1 with a very average team compared to their current version. They had the likes of Bravo, Sagna, Kolarov, Nolito, Toure back then. Think City would have more chance to progress if they play Barca and Real, those teams are more convenient to their style than PSG and Liverpool imo. Barca had problems already against Chelsea last season. The final score was hugely flattering them.

PSG are among the favourites for me. Their first XI is very very strong. Downside is the manager isn't sufficiently experienced.

automaticflare

2 months is a long time in football

Will hold my predictions / fears until closer the time

Our fixtures at that time of the season are rough

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Trust me I don't think United are favorited and for sure will knock them out BUT I would not be surprised if they did. These type of games are mourinhos cup of tea. If it was Barca or someone else no hope but its PSG and they don't scare me not one bit.
The Mourinho you knew and the one actually working at United are 2 very different people. It's time to get with the times and accept he's finished and past it. He couldn't even knock out Sevilla last season
At least we'll have a bit of underdog feeling, which could benefit us. If Mourinho lasts until these games, I guess this role is what probably suits him best. Can't see us going far neither never-the-less.
I hope you're right but underdog or not, we're useless.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Unless things drastically change between now and February, the PSG games will be our last Champions League games for at least 18 months. Depressing.
That's the main reason I'm trying to get to the away leg. It's obviously not for the quality of football, or because I have any confidence in getting a result, but because it could be the last time I get the opportunity for some time :(

Pagh Wraith

Rough predictions from the betting markets:

Spurs v Dortmund 50/50
Roma v Porto 55/45
United v PSG 28/72
Ajax v Real 20/80
Liverpool v Bayern 52/48
Lyon v Barca 13/87
Atletico v Juventus 35/65
Schalke v City 10/90

reddaz71

Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Di Maria etc fair to say we should be expecting an absolute thumping.

Treble

Oh the home leg definitely. We'll need our big players for the second leg/away game.
That's true but if you concede 1-2 goals in the first leg, things will get quite difficult in the second. Knowing that you are playing without VVD will give you less confidence in attack too as you have to be more cautious.

Treble

Spurs v Dortmund 50/50
Roma v Porto 55/45
United v PSG 28/72
Ajax v Real 20/80
Liverpool v Bayern 52/48
Lyon v Barca 13/87
Schalke v City 10/90
Lyon are not that bad, they can make it difficult for Barca at their ground as their pressing is impressive and have several outstanding talents. Barca are huge favourites, of course, but not by that much.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We've been to Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona the last 12 months and remained undefeated. Spurs can definitely go to Dortmund and get a draw at the very least. Plus the home leg will be one of the first games in our new stadium. The white wall versus the yellow wall :)

No doubt Dortmund are on fire this season, but hard to say how strong you are compared to Spurs. The likes of Sancho, Reus, Alcacer, Pulisic do not compare favorably to Kane, Eriksen, Son, Alli. I think only Reus gets in for Alli there. Saying that, Alli is coming back into his best form recently.

Much depends on injuries and who has their best players fit in Feb/March, it will be a very even game for sure.
Even if the middle bit were true, football doesn't really work like that at all. Dortmund have been on fire this season, including in the CL. They absolutely blew Atletico away, in a way literally nobody else has done while Simeone has been in charge. Their attacking play is incredible. Also worth noting that while we ended up winning the game, the way Dortmund started the game against us at Wembley last season was brutal and I can't remember too many games under Poch where the opposing team have imposed themselves on us like that. So even if Alcacer is not better than Kane for example, he is a part of an excellent attacking unit.

I'll be honest, I wasn't all that keen on drawing Dortmund, for multiple reasons. We've played them so many times in Europe recently, they are deservedly top of the BL and they have a great style of play. They'll be keen to avenge last season. There's maybe only 2 other clubs I would have been more averse to drawing.

We definitely have a chance but Dortmund are favourites for me, even if just marginal. A lot will depend on injury like you said and whether we can (hopefully) get into the new stadium by then.

Should be a good tie though.

el3mel

Madrid when they are strong get the strongest of the draw and when they are shite get the easiest draws it's weird.

RoyH1

I'm not blind to the fact that Mourinho has done an awful job as a manager for us. PSG are favorites whichever way you look at it. But all things considered, they're not as monumentally better as everyone paints them to be. The everyday level of Ligue 1 is something else and if you play physical and press them into the middle of the park, we have a shot. Parc des Princes is not the Camp Nou.

It'd been much worse to get Juve, Barsa or Madrid that play these kinds of matches with their eyes closed.

The referee appointment is crucial. If we get a fidgety referee that blows the whistle every time Neymar surveys the state of the pitch, we're done. But if we get a ref that gets that a bit of contact and shoulder charging is part of the game, we're in the game.

el3mel

Is it really easy tho? Ajax has been very impressive to watch for the past two or three years. I can see an upset coming.
Ajax are decent but no match to Madrid. Madrid could have got Liverpool.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm not blind to the fact that Mourinho has done an awful job as a manager for us. PSG are favorites whichever way you look at it. But all things considered, they're not as monumentally better as everyone paints them to be. The everyday level of Ligue 1 is something else and if you play physical and press them into the middle of the park, we have a shot. Parc des Princes is not the Camp Nou.

It'd been much worse to get Juve, Barsa or Madrid that play these kinds of matches with their eyes closed.

The referee appointment is crucial. If we get a fidgety referee that blows the whistle every time Neymar surveys the state of the pitch, we're done. But if we get a ref that gets that a bit of contact and shoulder charging is part of the game, we're in the game.
Agree re the ref to a degree but when is the last time we saw a ref that didn't turn a blind eye to the theatrics when we play in Europe? You know one of our players will get red carded for breathing on Neymar or Di Maria.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich being underestimated big time
which is pretty cool for them! Even though they won their group, they can go into it playing a bit of the underdog card - not sure if they will, but they can if they want.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Get Jardim or Zidane in asap. They know how to win against PSG

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
My honest assessment of the top 5 favourites to win are: Barca, Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, Atletico - probably in that order. Chasing pack: Juve, Liverpool, Dortmund.

el3mel

Not without VVD.
VVD will affect their defense but still their midfield and offense will be too much pace and intensity to handle. It's a good draw for Liverpool. Bayern are really not good anymore.

Treble

Bayern ran 120 km against Real away last season. They can match Liverpool.

Sjaakmeoff

Spurs v Dortmund 50/50
Roma v Porto 55/45
United v PSG 28/72
Ajax v Real 20/80
Liverpool v Bayern 52/48
Lyon v Barca 13/87
Schalke v City 10/90
my own predictions:

Atletico-Juventus 50%-50%
Roma-Porto 50%-50%
Manchester United-PSG 35%-65%
Liverpool-Bayern 50%-50%
Ajax-Real Madrid 35%-65%
Tottenham-Borussia Dortmund 50%-50%
Schalke-Manchester City 20%-80%
Lyon-Barcelona 45%-55%

Jerzol78

Bayern Munich being underestimated big time
If Bayern are injury free and start the first game with a match fit squad of: Neuer, Kimmich, Sule, Hummels, Alaba, Goretzka, Thiago, James, Gnabry, Coman and Lewandowski, I'd say they might me favourites, despite having mediocre Kovac as a coach.

Treble

They may still have the legs but do they have the intensity? I'd say no. Pool moves the ball around much quicker than Ajax and in some ways Ajax had Bayerns number in both games against them.
That's true, Liverpool are favourites. But nobody knows how they will perform in defence without VVD. I'm not sure they will be too adventurous going forward. And Bayern may improve in 2 months, they will have a rest now, may sign new players and the injured ones are likely to be available then.

Last edited:

Ban

They've been poor. Liverpool's mistake would be to do just that but if they play at their usual intensity and speed bayern won't handle it.
They're improving and things won't be the same in February. Bayern getting underestimated a lot here like it's some pub team.

Ban

That's true, Liverpool are favourites. But nobody knows how they will perform in defence without VVD. I'm not sure they will be too adventerous going forward. And Bayern may improve in 2 months, they will have a rest now, may sign new players and the injured ones are likely to be available then.
Why wouldn't VVD play? Excuse my ignorance

SAFMUTD

We have as much chance to beat PSG as Ajax has to beat Madrid or Schalke City.

Being realistic those two games will be the last in UCL until 2020.