Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Do people really have to keep banging on incessantly about wether or not Falcao has shown enough 'thus far' to warrant us paying his fee? He's only has a few games, give him a chance. He's certainly shown that he still has quality, only question is what level of fitness he can achieve.
Exactly.

gasmanc

Banned
Very intelligent, said a few weeks ago how his positioning and awareness of Van Persie is of a completely different class. Think it was against Stoke where he replaced Wilson and it was like night and day watching how they took up positions on the pitch, Van Persie was very much in Falcaos thoughts whereas the youth of Wilson saw him getting in a Robins way on quite a few occasions.
The emergence of Rooney getting into the spaces our front two create with the movement is something of a bonus, fairly obvious when you see it now and if we can include Di Maria into that quartet then fcuk me.
Get it firing and get some consistency at the back then I really think Chelsea are going to need that 10 point lead.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Too much focus on fees in general. Most criticism aimed at Fellaini will mention the £27.5million at some point as well. It's tiresome.

Falcao has barely even got going, yet he's still delivering a decent return. He's played exactly 450 minutes, according to Transfermarkt. That equals 5 full 90 minute matches in total. He's contributed 5 goals (2 goals and 3 assists) in the equivalent of 5 games. Is that not a good return? His overall play has also been very good, especially today and against Villa.

If, by the end of the season, he still has a record of roughly 1 goal (goal or assist) per game, then I'd say he's done enough to warrant a permanent move here.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
His movement is on a different level; reminds me of Ruud. I hope he can get back to proper fitness, because if he does then he could easily be the best out-and-out striker in world football -- as he was for Atletico.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do people really have to keep banging on incessantly about wether or not Falcao has shown enough 'thus far' to warrant us paying his fee? He's only has a few games, give him a chance. He's certainly shown that he still has quality, only question is what level of fitness he can achieve.
Exactly, when you buy a player outright you buy them based on what they have done in the past, you don't judge them on a selected injury period.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm delighted with him. We've struggled to find the right chemistry between RvP and Rooney, let alone either of those with Betbatov/Chicharito/Welbeck/Wilson, yet here we have someone who looks a brilliant fit for both. And with two strikers showing such compatible movement (let alone three with Rooney in midfield) Mata is starting to look the player we wished for.

Brilliant. feck the money, who cares?

kotha

Was brilliant.. I know people are going on about the fee,but if the club seem to think its worth it then I am going to enjoy listening to his chant at OT..:drool: No way will he want to go back to the lifeless stadium in Monaco after this,I expect him to fight tooth and nail for this transfer to be made permanent..

Varun

Staff
I'm delighted with him. We've struggled to find the right chemistry between RvP and Rooney, let alone either of those with Betbatov/Chicharito/Welbeck/Wilson, yet here we have someone who looks a brilliant fit for both. And with two strikers showing such compatible movement (let alone three with Rooney in midfield) Mata is starting to look the player we wished for.

Definitely ain't me.

Momochiru

Actually, this is not true about Welbeck, just look at the stats in the last season.He didn't miss many chances, the problem is that he didn't get into to many while playing as a winger, so when you miss 2 from it's actually a big deals, when you miss 6 from 9 it's still the same ratio, but you got 3 goals, which is good if it's in 3-4 games.

This season Falcao is actually missing chances (look at at the Everton game, WBA, QPR), yesterday he did not get to the ball, but he should have).

And again I know what kind of finisher he is, everybody does, so he needs to find form, but for me it's funny as LVG said Falcao gets one chance and he scores, while Welbeck doesn't, and during this season we actually got a new Welbeck (but who plays as a striker, not a winger, so gets into more chances).

Of course we all know what is Falcao probably gonna give us and yes, he is a better striker then Welbeck (or should be), but he is a better striker then most strikers today.
I absolutely disagree with your assessment that Falcao's current form is resembling Welbeck's in any way. Lets compare their productivity in the EPL:

This season even with his injuries and little cameos here and there Falcao is still currently our most productive player with 90 minutes per goal or assist. Di Maria is second with 96 minutes per goal or assist. Rooney is third with 101 minutes per goal or assist.

Welbeck on the other hand has clocked the impressive 263 minutes per goal or assist this season. Here are his stats for the last 4 seasons:
2013/14 - 146 per goal or assist
2012/13 - 258 per goal or assist
2011/12 - 155 per goal or assist
2010/11 - 253 per goal or assist

So no matter what you might think about his form - Falcao is still scoring/assisting at a rate that was never achieved by Welbeck in the past and I frankly doubt it will ever be achieved by him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
So no matter what you might think about his form - Falcao is still scoring/assisting at a rate that was never achieved by Welbeck in the past and I frankly doubt it will ever be achieved by him.
And this is Falcao not fully fit... as much as a I liked Welbeck, the gulf in class is evident.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

He sort of did yesterday. The question remains how this lot would fare against top notch opposition, though. I still don't see any true fluency to the Mata-Rooney-RVP-Falcao combo other than in flashes, so to speak - and I keep thinking it won't ever properly work unless we manage to assemble a far less vulnerable team behind them. Against a dubious opponent - sure. They'll punish a pushover with their eyes closed - but it ain't truly convincing, is it?

antohan

He sort of did yesterday. The question remains how this lot would fare against top notch opposition, though. I still don't see any true fluency to the Mata-Rooney-RVP-Falcao combo other than in flashes, so to speak - and I keep thinking it won't ever properly work unless we manage to assemble a far less vulnerable team behind them. Against a dubious opponent - sure. They'll punish a pushover with their eyes closed - but it ain't truly convincing, is it?
Those + ADM + Herrera offer superb options. Blind also needs to come back as defender and/or Carrick backup. Rafael/Shaw...

Get Strootman and a couple of defenders who can actually defend in a trio and we are laughing. Just add a bit more midfield steel against the likes of Chelsea and City.

Natener

Actually, this is not true about Welbeck, just look at the stats in the last season.He didn't miss many chances, the problem is that he didn't get into to many while playing as a winger, so when you miss 2 from it's actually a big deals, when you miss 6 from 9 it's still the same ratio, but you got 3 goals, which is good if it's in 3-4 games.

This season Falcao is actually missing chances (look at at the Everton game, WBA, QPR), yesterday he did not get to the ball, but he should have).

And again I know what kind of finisher he is, everybody does, so he needs to find form, but for me it's funny as LVG said Falcao gets one chance and he scores, while Welbeck doesn't, and during this season we actually got a new Welbeck (but who plays as a striker, not a winger, so gets into more chances).

Of course we all know what is Falcao probably gonna give us and yes, he is a better striker then Welbeck (or should be), but he is a better striker then most strikers today.
I absolutely disagree with your assessment that Falcao's current form is resembling Welbeck's in any way. Lets compare their productivity in the EPL:

This season even with his injuries and little cameos here and there Falcao is still currently our most productive player with 90 minutes per goal or assist. Di Maria is second with 96 minutes per goal or assist. Rooney is third with 101 minutes per goal or assist.

Welbeck on the other hand has clocked the impressive 263 minutes per goal or assist this season. Here are his stats for the last 4 seasons:

On top of what Momochiru said, with regards to stats for "Welbeck not missing many chances", his shots on target to shots ratio this season playing for the most part as a number 9 is about 40%. Falcao is at 44.5%, and for reference Diego Costa is at 47.5% and Aguero 48% . The stats don't tell the entire picture of course, but it does give an idea of how Falcao/Welbeck have done been with chances on goal.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Those + ADM + Herrera offer superb options. Blind also needs to come back as defender and/or Carrick backup. Rafael/Shaw...

Get Strootman and a couple of defenders who can actually defend in a trio and we are laughing. Just add a bit more midfield steel against the likes of Chelsea and City.
Aye - I agree there's no shortage of options in there. Which is a damn good thing, be it said. But it won't matter until we sort out that bit in bold.

Still, I did like the look of us at times yesterday - in particular how Rooney and Mata worked off Falcao. There's potential there for something extremely powerful - something which anyone will find it hard to defend against.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
it'd be brave to lineup with Falcao, VP, Rooney and Mata in the same lineup!

But would be interesting

LR7

Loved his assist for the first Rooney goal. Loved his tackle for the second. Thought his performance deserved a goal. His movement and hold-up play were typically excellent. He's so strong. Sometimes he seems to take a 'big' first touch and you think he's going to lose the ball but he always manages to keep possession. I love him, and I think he's going to be even better in the second half of the season once he gets a run of games and some consistency. I am also a tad concerned about his fitness/fee but I'll just enjoy him whilst he's here and see what happens in the summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Aye - I agree there's no shortage of options in there. Which is a damn good thing, be it said. But it won't matter until we sort out that bit in bold.

Still, I did like the look of us at times yesterday - in particular how Rooney and Mata worked off Falcao. There's potential there for something extremely powerful - something which anyone will find it hard to defend against.
I still believe what Di Maria offers to the team will ultimately be the difference between a United that I want to watch and one that I have to out of obligation. I think I was a lot less wowed at our attacking play than many against Newcastle. The pace is missing, We got into so many positions or situations where United teams of old will release it to whoever 'that guy' is in our team and he'll run with it and have people excited. We are currently playing without that option, that joker if you like. Everything seems too methodical.

Truedevil

Is there no way we can buy him under 30 mln pounds? 40 is just too much IMO but for 25-30 its a no brainer.

Kounan

On top of what Momochiru said, with regards to stats for "Welbeck not missing many chances", his shots on target to shots ratio this season playing for the most part as a number 9 is about 40%. Falcao is at 44.5%, and for reference Diego Costa is at 47.5% and Aguero 48% . The stats don't tell the entire picture of course, but it does give an idea of how Falcao/Welbeck have done been with chances on goal.
I was more talking about Welbeck for us (I have seen some Arsenal games and I don't get them as in lot situation they would have 4 players in the box, but Welbeck outside and trying to keep the ball and find someone, even if he is supposed to be the main striker, but that's another story anyway), and how he did when he played a striker (did you see the stats from last season, when he played as a striker - he was actually our best striker, with the best chances conversion). Also, Falcao actually missed quite a few chances (QPR, WBA, Everton were all HUGE chances, so these were really big misses, which we don't expect from him).

OK, put Falcao on the wing and lets see his stats, thas what you are actually doing when you compare Welbeck's stats as Man Utd player. Falcao not only that he wouldn't score, he would not do anything good for the team as a winger.

As far as I know Welbeck was our most dangerous goalscorer last season when he played as a striker?

I just don't get how people don't understand what I am saying!? It was always said that Welbeck's overall play is good, but he doesn't score enough. This same is said for Falcao during his time at United and we can all see it. But when I compared them, suddenly there is a problem and also excuses about his fitness. Who cares? Welbeck played huge percentage of his games as a winger so that's his excuse. Shell I compare how much they cost and then see what we got till now from Falcao?

I really like what I see from Falcao and I also said that I expect great things from him, as you can see how dangerous he is, and also unselfish and we all know his past and that he is a born goalscorer, so that's all fine, but no one can say that I wasn't right with my comment before and actually prove it (I don't care about his fitness as I am not blaming him for anything, or saying that he is bad, or something like that, but it is a fact that his overall play is good, but he doesn't score enough - YET) .

Momochiru

I was more talking about Welbeck for us (I have seen some Arsenal games and I don't get them as in lot situation they would have 4 players in the box, but Welbeck outside and trying to keep the ball and find someone, even if he is supposed to be the main striker, but that's another story anyway), and how he did when he played a striker (did you see the stats from last season, when he played as a striker - he was actually our best striker, with the best chances conversion). Also, Falcao actually missed quite a few chances (QPR, WBA, Everton were all HUGE chances, so these were really big misses, which we don't expect from him).

OK, put Falcao on the wing and lets see his stats, thas what you are actually doing when you compare Welbeck's stats as Man Utd player. Falcao not only that he wouldn't score, he would not do anything good for the team as a winger.

As far as I know Welbeck was our most dangerous goalscorer last season when he played as a striker?

I just don't get how people don't understand what I am saying!? It was always said that Welbeck's overall play is good, but he doesn't score enough. This same is said for Falcao during his time at United and we can all see it. But when I compared them, suddenly there is a problem and also excuses about his fitness. Who cares? Welbeck played huge percentage of his games as a winger so that's his excuse. Shell I compare how much they cost and then see what we got till now from Falcao?

I really like what I see from Falcao and I also said that I expect great things from him, as you can see how dangerous he is, and also unselfish and we all know his past and that he is a born goalscorer, so that's all fine, but no one can say that I wasn't right with my comment before and actually prove it (I don't care about his fitness as I am not blaming him for anything, or saying that he is bad, or something like that, but it is a fact that his overall play is good, but he doesn't score enough - YET) .
He is missing chances and that makes him similar to Welbeck? So a goal or assist per 90 minutes of play is not enough? He is our most productive player at the moment - if he keeps the same way I will be more than happy.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
He has missed sooo many sitters though. Ashley Young gave him two chances on a plate, and he pretty much missed a open shot against Hull, so he still seems kinda rusty in the final 3rd.

Beast of a player though!

antohan

No, I don't think he would be a very good winger. Don't think De Gea would be a very good #10 either.

RuudTom83

It's not our money...so who cares what the price is!

If United choose to spend next seasons CL money on him then I wouldn't complain.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He has missed sooo many sitters though. Ashley Young gave him two chances on a plate, and he pretty much missed a open shot against Hull, so he still seems kinda rusty in the final 3rd.

He's hardly missed loads of sitters. He missed the chance against hull because it was blocked and had that everton game, the rest he was a fraction away from reaching the ball. Like against Newcastle from youngs crosses, he was so close to many of them but that sharpness will only come with games. It's not like he's missing them, just being a split second behind them.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I still believe what Di Maria offers to the team will ultimately be the difference between a United that I want to watch and one that I have to out of obligation. I think I was a lot less wowed at our attacking play than many against Newcastle. The pace is missing, We got into so many positions or situations where United teams of old will release it to whoever 'that guy' is in our team and he'll run with it and have people excited. We are currently playing without that option, that joker if you like. Everything seems too methodical.
That's a fair point - I don't disagree. We've lacked that for a while now - that proper X factor of a player. We haven't had that since Ronaldo left, really, apart from the odd moment from a Rooney or even a Nani - but they've been odd moments, nothing consistently dangerous in the way you suggest.

Varun

Staff

When did this happen? Specially with the 2 extra o's.

LARulz

Poor half. Trying too hard I think.

Him and Van Persie need to split that defence, they keep running into the same areas

JUPITER

Watching this first half, I again find myself frustrated that it's not Rooney up front getting the chances that Falcao isn't taking thus far. I reckon we'd be 2-0 up by now.

VanGaalEra

That shot when he cut in and Lloris saved, I was certain that was going in. Likes to put himself around a bit, doesn't he.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Can't fault his effort. I said in the match day thread he is reminding me of diego Forlan when he was with us. Always working hard and looking for the ball. Desperate to impress. But like Forlan his touch has been poor and his finishing pretty awful

Status
Not open for further replies.