5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudo_canadian

So after reading through the past 3-5 pages of this thread I think we can all agree on two matters concerning Falcao and his current form:

1. Our main strikers, Falcao and RVP, (not including Rooney because he has frustratingly been played in midfield more than being used at his actual position, and he's also a type of player that can create for himself) are types of strikers that do not create their own chances very often. Falcao and RVP rely heavily on good, consistent service into and around the box. That said, I think we can acknowledge that the forward passes and service into the box this season has been subpar and frankly not good enough. Falcao is a player that can be incredibly deadly when the ball is played into dangerous positions. Again, we know this - he's a class poacher.

2. However it is clear that Falcao's form and potent poaching ability has looked like a shadow of it's former self this season compared to his Porto, Atletico and (partially) Monaco days. Many believe this is due to his terrible knee injury and that because of this he will never be the deadly striker he used to be. Others believe - myself included - that he simply has not had enough chances (minutes) in games to really get his fitness to a top level.

Regardless, I think the problems Falcao is facing have to do with the crap service from our midfield and also his fitness levels. Though on a final point, playing with two strikers given our general lack of creativity from midfield is also hampering Falcao's ability to get legitimate scoring opportunities - in my opinion. But that sort of argument brings up the discussion having to do with balance in the team and which players you would need to drop, etc.

Thoughts?

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sign Berahino and save all that money we were willing to waste to bring him in. Just don't see him ever being the player he used to be plus we'd be preparing for the future.
As a Spurs fan, maybe it's memories of Defoe putting me off, but I wouldn't want Berahino for anything more than £15m and even then I'd have to talk myself into it. Don't think people realise quite how limited he is general play at the moment (love his picking corners out one on one with keepers though). Reminds me of Hernandez so much.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mercenaries going to merce, I suppose.

He gets away with it as he does come across as a nice guy, but deep down he just loves the cash :smirk:
You guys discussing the Monaco transfer? Falcao's ownership was a bit shady when he was at Atletico and he was basically sold without his consent to Monaco. You could actually tell when he was holding up his shirt at his unveiling he had no idea where the feck he was. He definitely wanted to get out of there asap.

He probably loves the cash (who doesn't), but I don't think he's a real mercenary in the common sense of it.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Watching him and RVP make the same runs and colliding with each other was fecking hilarious, what's the actual point of playing them together when they offer pretty much the same qualities? Falcao also moves like he's carrying 100 extra kg weight on his boots lol.

We need to play him as the lone striker or with Rooney and Rooney only, or we shouldn't play him at all.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So after reading through the past 3-5 pages of this thread I think we can all agree on two matters concerning Falcao and his current form:

1. Our main strikers, Falcao and RVP, (not including Rooney because he has frustratingly been played in midfield more than being used at his actual position, and he's also a type of player that can create for himself) are types of strikers that do not create their own chances very often. Falcao and RVP rely heavily on good, consistent service into and around the box. That said, I think we can acknowledge that the forward passes and service into the box this season has been subpar and frankly not good enough. Falcao is a player that can be incredibly deadly when the ball is played into dangerous positions. Again, we know this - he's a class poacher.

2. However it is clear that Falcao's form and potent poaching ability has looked like a shadow of it's former self this season compared to his Porto, Atletico and (partially) Monaco days. Many believe this is due to his terrible knee injury and that because of this he will never be the deadly striker he used to be. Others believe - myself included - that he simply has not had enough chances (minutes) in games to really get his fitness to a top level.

Regardless, I think the problems Falcao is facing have to do with the crap service from our midfield and also his fitness levels. Though on a final point, playing with two strikers given our general lack of creativity from midfield is also hampering Falcao's ability to get legitimate scoring opportunities - in my opinion. But that sort of argument brings up the discussion having to do with balance in the team and which players you would need to drop, etc.

Thoughts?
I don't think we'll know for sure, even at the end of the season, but regardless of the reason for his lack of productivity, there's no reason to turn his loan into a permanent a deal and invest a lot of money into a player with an unknown output. The transfer fee that is being discussed is only justified when you can be relatively sure that the player is going to produce. Hell, di Maria was one of Real's, the reigning UCL winners, best players last year and did well for Argentina at the World Cup but even he hasn't justified his transfer fee yet.

He might have a good game here and there during the rest of the season, but overall it's just not been enough to buy him. I'd rather go after a younger, most likely cheaper striker.

SammyUnited_83

Can a player even be transferred without consent, surely he could have said no. He is a global superstar not some naive 18 year old kid looking for his for break into Europe.

He went to Monaco, purely for a payday, the only reason he is with us is because Real said no.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
That was all Mendes' fault and had nothing to do Falcao at all...

That's why no-one ever mentions it ;)
Almost seems like he has Platiniophobia, fear of being in the champions league. Hasnt he always left a club just as they get into the CL and joined one that isnt?

SalfordRed1960

Thoughts?
I disagree with the first bolded section. Both players have been known for creating their own chances. Sure, they do good runs and if given the pass they want they will more times than not put it away. However, though they may not be the Suarez/Augero type dribbling goal scorers, they can turn any slight advantage into a big advantage. Falcao is also more of a goal creator than RVP, evidenced by his passes to RVP and Rooney which led to goals. He knows where a striker should be and plays it into that space.

The second bold section I think is the story of our season. Very few of the old squad seem capable or willing to make a creative pass. It appears that maybe Scholes, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney were carrying a lot of players over the last 2-3 years. Carrick seems to have lost the will to make those passes that cut open defenses, Rooney always looking to the wings. If we can get the likes of Di Maria, Mata and Herrera on the field playing in preferred positions, we may see better service. However, we need the likes of Jones, Evans and Smalling to understand we have a midfield, so the answer isn't always sideways or hoof.

pseudo_canadian

I disagree with the first bolded section. Both players have been known for creating their own chances. Sure, they do good runs and if given the pass they want they will more times than not put it away. However, though they may not be the Suarez/Augero type dribbling goal scorers, they can turn any slight advantage into a big advantage. Falcao is also more of a goal creator than RVP, evidenced by his passes to RVP and Rooney which led to goals. He knows where a striker should be and plays it into that space.

The second bold section I think is the story of our season. Very few of the old squad seem capable or willing to make a creative pass. It appears that maybe Scholes, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney were carrying a lot of players over the last 2-3 years. Carrick seems to have lost the will to make those passes that cut open defenses, Rooney always looking to the wings. If we can get the likes of Di Maria, Mata and Herrera on the field playing in preferred positions, we may see better service. However, we need the likes of Jones, Evans and Smalling to understand we have a midfield, so the answer isn't always sideways or hoof.
Good points all around - particularly your second paragraph. I just remember how amazing and important Carrick was to the team 2 seasons back. The amount of balls he launched up to RVP game after game just made opposing teams unravel. But it's baffling to try and understand where those types of plays have gone. I do agree that the ball-playing ability of our back four (3?) is not where it needs to be. As we all know van Gaal likes his teams to plau football that concentrates building from the back, yet that's a bit hard when your defenders aren't even capable of passing it 10 yards directly in front of them - only to the ever-dangerous Antonio Valencia on the wings or completely over the heads of the strikers by hoofing it long.

At the moment, I think Di Maria and Herrera are the only 2 players with the ability and knack for finding the likes of Falcao and RVP in forward positions. Although, we have one of them being played completely out of his natural position and the other is thrown to the bench for god knows why. You would imagine (hope) that once we get more quality in the defense and also bring in a box-to-box type midfielder we'll start to see the final product that we all think van Gaal is trying to get to (4-3-3).

JUPITER

Almost seems like he has Platiniophobia, fear of being in the champions league. Hasnt he always left a club just as they get into the CL and joined one that isnt?
I actually feel sorry for him with that. I think it's just bad guidance from his agent in all honesty - that and his injury.

And although I'm completely against us signing him, I do really, genuinely hope for the best for him and I do feel for him.

I think (as I've said repeatedly in this thread) that Italy is the best place for him. Somewhere that he can be forgiven for that half a yard of pace he's clearly lost and somewhere not quite as frenetic and physical as the Premier League.

I basically think he's turned up at pretty much the worse place for him and he should move on to a league that suits his current skill set asap. Hopefully his advisors are empathetic enough to see the same and he isn't shoehorned into another badly thought out move in order to line Mendes' pockets - which I think is certainly the case with his last two moves.

crimsonife

I've been waiting and waiting for him to find some kind of form that made him so lethal in the past but it's never happened. Something special has got to happen in the games we have left for him to prove his massive price tag. Harsh but it's reality.

RooneyLegend

As a Spurs fan, maybe it's memories of Defoe putting me off, but I wouldn't want Berahino for anything more than £15m and even then I'd have to talk myself into it. Don't think people realise quite how limited he is general play at the moment (love his picking corners out one on one with keepers though). Reminds me of Hernandez so much.
What makes you think his general play is limited? he's no more limited than a Falcao and has some of the best ball striking technique you're likely to see fom youngsters.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Can a player even be transferred without consent, surely he could have said no. He is a global superstar not some naive 18 year old kid looking for his for break into Europe.

He went to Monaco, purely for a payday, the only reason he is with us is because Real said no.
From what I read and understood, it wasn't as simple as that and the the answer to the bolded part is that basically because of the third party ownership his own choices were limited.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I find it a little strange that we set up to play slow patient possession football and decide that falcao is our striker we want to sign to make it work.

Spielmacher

I find it a little strange that we set up to play slow patient possession football and decide that falcao is our striker we want to sign to make it work.
What does that have to do with it? He can be a beast in the box because of his movement and anticipation. No matter if we play qick or slow until then.

I didn't get why we signed him anyways, but yeah.

Dante

Average bang
My 5 year old daughter had a little tea party at the weekend for the dog and a couple of her dolls. One of the (imaginary) attendees was a chap called Radamel.
I hope she had the foresight not to invite the imaginary Jorge Mendes. It could get messy if her dolls decide they want representation.

Next thing you know, Bebe will show up.

mu77

all this talk of lack of service for him is moot because we've had strikers score goals with the same service or lack there of. RVN scored boat loads with shit around him for most of his time here. rooney , RVP and hernandez scored , welzb had chances as well.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
all this lack of service for him is moot because we've had strikers score goals with the same service or lack there of. RVN scored boat loads with shit around him for most of his time here. rooney , RVP and hernandez scored , welzb had chances as well.
It's nonsense. The service isn't great, and your strikers clearly aren't your only problem, but people are letting Falcao off the hook too easily. The fact is he's had plenty of decent chances that he would have put away at Atlético, and it's pretty obvious that he's lost a lot of his mobility which is crucial for his game.

mu77

It's nonsense. The service isn't great, and your strikers clearly aren't your only problem, but people are letting Falcao off the hook too easily. The fact is he's had plenty of decent chances that he would have put away at Atlético, and it's pretty obvious that he's lost a lot of his mobility which is crucial for his game.

it's not just that - look at sterling , loads of chances but can't finish well , there's more to it. falcao can't make his own chances anymore or at least not now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He just needs luck on his side. Could easily have scored against Cambridge but instead of the ball dipping under the post it went over. On another day that would have just dropped into the net.

The Spurs game was the only match I thought "wow he doesn't seem right" but I can excuse that for playing 2 games in 2 days practically. Silly by LVG to play him that quickly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
it's not just that - look at sterling , loads of chances but can't finish well , there's more to it. falcao can't make his own chances anymore or at least not now.
Sterling is a skilful winger/a creative wide man, forced to play as a striker as his team hasn't got any. He's also just turned 20 years old. Falcao is apparently one of the best #9s in the world, as shown by the huge fee we paid both on wages and on the loan to bring him here. It's not a question of luck, or match fitness, or service, he's just nowhere near as good as he once was.

mu77

Sterling is a skilful winger/a creative wide man, forced to play as a striker as his team hasn't got any. He's also just turned 20 years old. Falcao is apparently one of the best #9s in the world, as shown by the huge fee we paid both on wages and on the loan to bring him here. It's not a question of luck, or match fitness, or service, he's just nowhere near as good as he once was.

sterlings best games and liverpool's run of good results last season had him playing a lot through the middle - he pushed cb's back towards their own goals

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
sterlings best games and liverpool's run of good results last season had him playing a lot through the middle - he pushed cb's back towards their own goals
That's true but he played behind Sturridge and Suárez as part of a diamond back then. He pushed forward but started deep (though I'm not sure what relevance that has...he could have good games even with his finishing letting him down but I'm not sure Falcao can).

mu77

That's true but he played behind Sturridge and Suárez as part of a diamond back then. He pushed forward but started deep (though I'm not sure what relevance that has...he could have good games even with his finishing letting him down but I'm not sure Falcao can).
i don't think sterling's a winger. he has pace but clearly better at playing through the middle of the park. and he will be asked to score goals from that position. and falcao must start to convert the chances he's had.

DWelbz19

A lot of the chances Sterling manages are through his own doing also - you only have to look at the game against Chelsea in the Capital One cup. But this is all irrelevant, people are now comparing young talents who naturally play different positions just to compensate how average Falcao has been. Come on, now.

mu77

A lot of the chances Sterling manages are through his own doing also - you only have to look at the game against Chelsea in the Capital One cup. But this is all irrelevant, people are now comparing young talents who naturally play different positions just to compensate how average Falcao has been. Come on, now.
he will score goals like that one. that will be his , if you will , signature goal. pace and catching the keeper off his mark.

saivet

I'm not a huge Berahino fan but I think you've been a little harsh on him. He's played as a second striker, lone front man and out wide on quite a few occasions. Certainly not as limited as Defoe. Saying that, I agree that he wouldn't be worth it for any more than £15m

IwatUwat

Do we think he'll get another start this weekend? Or will LVG revert to RVP? Or both.

Or will Wilson replace one of them. Either way you would expect this is as a good a chance any of them have to get a goal in the prem.

Ekeke

He's truly very different from Hernandez. He's strong for a small player with good holdup play. The problem with Berahinho is that he's not been scoring so much lately and has barely any away goals. His general play is more than fine

J-Stander

Do we think he'll get another start this weekend? Or will LVG revert to RVP? Or both.

Or will Wilson replace one of them. Either way you would expect this is as a good a chance any of them have to get a goal in the prem.
Can see him being on the bench for this. Rooney and RVP upfront with Mata behind.

Roboc7

He should be dropped based on his recent performances, should try Rooney up front with Mata in behind and then the diamond in midfield but it will probably be RVP and Falcao up front again.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
all this talk of lack of service for him is moot because we've had strikers score goals with the same service or lack there of. RVN scored boat loads with shit around him for most of his time here. rooney , RVP and hernandez scored , welzb had chances as well.
It's not a moot point because anyone watching will know we used to create FAR more chances. In addition to that, in seasons gone past we had a settled system. We had a confident backline and if not a great midfielder a decent winger.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Sign Berahino and save all that money we were willing to waste to bring him in. Just don't see him ever being the player he used to be plus we'd be preparing for the future.

If we're signing for the future then we need to get lacazette

FacerTheRed

Cambridge United game summed it up for me. I really wanted him to succeed and be massive hit in the premier league and rival the golden boot but he just cant get a run of form. I'd still like him in the team but for 50 million is just not what he is performing out there, regardless the fact that the team is still in transition and playing poor. A player with that price tag should be getting the man of the match and scoring goals what he created himself and doesnt need players around him making him look good. RVP did that when he came to united, overall team performance was poor but RVP swoops in and manages to score goals from out of nowhere and united got him for about 22.5 million AND united won the premier league title because of that guys consistency of scoring goals.

Falcao is no way worth 50 million. If the shape of the team or the players he's surrounded with is effecting how he plays then in no way he is worth 50 million. I expect players who are worth even 30m to put a man of the match performance regardless of what team, what formation or what style of football they play. whereas 50 million, he has to be a super star among those like Neymar & Bale, sadly he's not showing that.

Last edited:

DevilRed

He is Ruud Van Nistelrooy reincarnated. The resemblance in play style is quite eerie.

Both have a knack for scoring goals even when not playing particularly well. Similar styles of holding up the ball too.

Jev

He hasn't been spectacular in any way but he looks much sharper today. Controls the ball better in tight areas and looks bright and alive. Some decent passing as well. He needs to show much more if we're to buy him and today is a step in the right direction.

VanGaalEra

Good game today, good movement, better touch and showed his strength.

Most importantly, got his goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.