5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Gibson

I know he's struggled but at least he puts a shift in. I'd rather persevere with him than be continually made to suffer RVP strolling around looking disinterested. He's had one brilliant season for us then had about 5 decent games ever since.

At the moment neither striker is worth their place but I find it easier to be sympathetic with Falcao...

MajorTom

He's been absolute shite for us. Every single time the ball gets played to his feet with his back facing the goal he concedes possession and ends up on his arse. I've seen him get up off the floor to run his fingers through his hair then I have of him actually playing football. Shame how the knee injury has taken its toll but it will be criminal to splash out £30 million plus to make him a permanent signing based off his current performances.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Where does the illusion come from that RVP is disinterested, just look at last season, how desperate he was for United to come back, it really bothered him and he showed that he care. Just because he doesnt run around the whole match doesnt mean that he doesnt care anymore. Dont think he did that at Arsenal either, correct me if wrong. When in play, he's as active as always, making runs, come and getting the ball, trying to link up. Besides that, in terms of quality he's been miles ahead of Falcao, scored some quality goals, has shown to being able to keep the ball well. Our 2nd goal vs burnley for example, some brilliant hold up play from him, but that goes unnoticed.

MajorTom

Where does the illusion come from that RVP is disinterested, just look at last season, how desperate he was for United to come back, it really bothered him and he showed that he care. Just because he doesnt run around the whole match doesnt mean that he doesnt care anymore. Dont think he did that at Arsenal either, correct me if wrong. When in play, he's as active as always, making runs, come and getting the ball, trying to link up. Besides that, in terms of quality he's been miles ahead of Falcao, scored some quality goals, has shown to being able to keep the ball well. Our 2nd goal vs burnley for example, some brilliant hold up play from him, but that goes unnoticed.
I think he has done that more this season than previous seasons, especially at the start of the season when he started to play. RVP doesn't need pace, he has got the deft little touch and is astute enough to make himself efficient when on the ball. Falcao has done nothing of the sorts, his touch has been absolutely terrible and he hasn't made up for that fact when gifted easy finishes. Some of the chances he has missed is beyond ridiculous.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's his pace that worries me the most. He was never lightening quick, but now he looks like he can barely even sprint.

Getsme

Would that be due to the injury? Or is he just older than Wiki says?
I'd imagine it's the injury. I think @Pogue Mahone (sorry if it wasn't you) said that he got the injury the same time as Walcott got his, yet Falcao was trying to be rushed back for the World Cup and Walcott is only coming back from his injury now. Quite a big difference, obviously no two injuries are the same but still.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Is there anyone, who thinks that it's just a phase ? That he still can retrieve a little bit of form.
Some 'Denis Law' character, whoever he is.

“While Radamel Falcao maybe hasn’t scored as many goals as he would have liked so far, there’s no questioning his pedigree and his ability,” Law told United Review.

“He has been absolutely excellent throughout his career and everyone was looking forward to seeing him play when his arrival was announced.

He’s a goal-scorer, a good player who gets involved, and again he’s needed time to settle in, especially coming back from such a bad injury. But once he starts scoring regularly then you’ll see an even better player.

“As a goal-scorer, you go through spells where everything is going in and other times when nothing will go right for you at all. You miss the target, hit the woodwork or the goalie makes a fabulous save, and it feels like a lot of things are conspiring against you.

“All you can do is keep trying, keep doing what you do best and nobody can ask any more than that. There’s no question about Falcao’s commitment at all; he’s proven that beyond any doubt.”

Sheldon69

Im not saying that he wil start banging them in but a change to a 4 2 3 1 formation would put falcao in a more familiar role .
If he was playing for chelsea he would have double figures by now .
What really as surprised me about van gaal is that he has had no hesitation in dropping defenders and midfielders that have had bad games but rvp and falcao have become somewhat "undroppable" ,
With the chances being missed upfront and lack of movement why are we not putting one of uniteds ALL TIME GOALSCORERS back upfront and put herrera in rooneys position ! At least give it a try for fecks sake.

One thinks that falcaos "let's not upset mendes" syndrome plus his massive wages are contributing to him being picked almost every game . The dutch love in withr rvp is making him bomb proof as well .
i think we need a big pace injection in the summer transfer window . It could be another big over haul of players witha right back , centre half , box to box cm and maybe striker and wide man needed as well as the david de gea situation rumbling on .

Also as anyone seen ryan giggs speak to LVG during a game ????

sunama

Baghdad Bob
One thinks that falcaos "let's not upset mendes" syndrome plus his massive wages are contributing to him being picked almost every game .
For those who believe the Mendes theory - they clearly dont know LVG.
LVG doesnt give a damn about agents and their wishes. He runs the team - its his way or the high way.
In fact, he has p'd off many CEO's of clubs, as he wanted to run the team his way. He has been sacked as result.

Some managers may bow to pressure from agents or above...but not LVG.

JUPITER

For those who believe the Mendes theory - they clearly dont know LVG.
LVG doesnt give a damn about agents and their wishes. He runs the team - its his way or the high way.
In fact, he has p'd off many CEO's of clubs, as he wanted to run the team his way. He has been sacked as result.

Some managers may bow to pressure from agents or above...but not LVG.
It could well be more complicated than that, though.

This is Van Gaal's last big job, and he knows it. If he walked on this job where's he gonna go?

He could be under immense pressure from Woodward and Mendes over this (for different reasons) and have decided to ride it out for a season.

I personally don't believe that Falcao was a Van Gaal signing because he always plays with one number 9 - not two. And RvP is his man.

If you recall the World Cup, you'll remember that it was always RvP OR Huntelaar - never together.

No intelligent manager would be playing Falcao and RvP together, they're literally useless together. There must be more to it in my opinion.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
My main worry about Falcao is that we will let him leave end of the season, and then City will buy him for the sake of it and turn him into the superstar we know he can become. Tevez-like maybe but possibly on a worse scale.

Boycott

My main worry about Falcao is that we will let him leave end of the season, and then City will buy him for the sake of it and turn him into the superstar we know he can become. Tevez-like maybe but possibly on a worse scale.
Tevez's best years were ahead of him. Once he got some ruthlessness in front of goal he was always going to do a great job because he already had the other qualities to be a top striker (movement, strength, change of pace, close control, work rate, versatility). Falcao looks feeble and lacking in so many of those departments.

JUPITER

City wouldn't go near him.

You won't see any elite club in for him - they weren't before this and they sure as hell won't be now.

Sheldon69

On what evidence do you base this post on ??
On what we've seen from him this season he will be lucky to get a move to any team in european Competition next season .

Roboc7

No chance city or any other premier league side will touch him after this season, he isn't good enough to start for any top English side and too expensive to be a backup. Bigger worry is we actually sign him and get stuck with a washed up forward for another few seasons who costs a fortune in wages and a big transfer fee.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martin Samuel says that we made the decision not to sign him weeks ago. Hardly surprising but would explain Mendes whoring him out to the rest of Europe recently.

Walters_19_MuFc

Van Gaal on Falcao:

“There are more aspects for a striker than goals. For example in the game with Burnley [last Tuesday] you have seen the header back for [Chris] Smalling to score was from Falcao.

“To be approachable for your fellow players is also an aspect. I shall not judge only on the goals. It is a bigger view than that.”

Seems that Van Gaal's contradicting himself, because he didn't seem to have this in mind when getting rid of Welbeck - a player who seemed to have made us tick in the final third.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...ited-but-i-shall-not-judge-only-on-the-goals/

JUPITER

Van Gaal on Falcao:

“There are more aspects for a striker than goals. For example in the game with Burnley [last Tuesday] you have seen the header back for [Chris] Smalling to score was from Falcao.

“To be approachable for your fellow players is also an aspect. I shall not judge only on the goals. It is a bigger view than that.”
Shame Welbeck didn't enjoy such philosophical judgement...

He didn't have Mendes as an agent though, did he.

Kag

Martin Samuel says that we made the decision not to sign him weeks ago. Hardly surprising but would explain Mendes whoring him out to the rest of Europe recently.
He's gone then. Samuel seldom reports and isn't putting his name to that unless it's come from the top.

LR7

I hope so.

If so we need to quit the experiment and get the best possible balance out of the players we have available. Not shoehorning Falcao into every line-up and playing another midfielder (Mata, Herrera or Fellaini) would improve the side immediately.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
It could well be more complicated than that, though.

This is Van Gaal's last big job, and he knows it. If he walked on this job where's he gonna go?

He could be under immense pressure from Woodward and Mendes over this (for different reasons) and have decided to ride it out for a season.

I personally don't believe that Falcao was a Van Gaal signing because he always plays with one number 9 - not two. And RvP is his man.

If you recall the World Cup, you'll remember that it was always RvP OR Huntelaar - never together.

No intelligent manager would be playing Falcao and RvP together, they're literally useless together. There must be more to it in my opinion.
They've been useless together mainly because Falcao has been useless, and partly because RvP has had his poor performances. Your comparison with Huntelaar doesn't make much sense. Falcao is overestimated, but still has a lot more possibilities than Huntelaar, who is on a lower level and who is basically just waiting for the perfect cross and sitters for him to finish. A player like Falcao has enough skills to play in a partnership like Cole and Yorke. When Van Gaal started the Netherlands job, he of course chose one striker, because he started out with 4-3-3, and he chose Huntelaar. That was also necessary to manage the external problems surrounding Huntelaar. Huntelaar failed, because he's not very good. When changed to 3-5-2 because the lack of balance in midfield, he picked van Persie and Robben, which was the only sensible choice.

In my opinion he wanted Falcao because RvP's fysical condition made it unlikely he would play 38 games, he wanted Rooney to run the show in midfield and therefore not move him up front a lot of games, because then he would disrupt the development in team play. But he's also tempted by a goalscorer, and a strikers partnership, and overestimated Falcao as did most.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
That doesn't make much sense tbh, as we are still playing him. If we genuinely have made that decision weeks ago, then why are we still shoehorning 3 strikers into our formation?

louvega

That doesn't make much sense tbh, as we are still playing him. If we genuinely have made that decision weeks ago, then why are we still shoehorning 3 strikers into our formation?
I agree. He wouldn't be playing if Van Gaal thought he was out, and even less with his horrible performances.

Empire

In that case get rid of most of those players because nobody has excelled against Preston.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In that case get rid of most of those players because nobody has excelled against Preston.

some times it's amazing how little star players shine when playing teams miles below them.

Yet take a semi pro onto park footy and they'd look like Pele

Castia

Want him to do well but yet again he's nonexistent, he's just not the player he was.

Roboc7

Offers nothing, take him off and bring on januzaj, Wilson or mata, looks like his legs are weighted down every time he tries to move.

Litch

Agree. He's the latest dog to kick. If everyone was playing well and it was a Forlan situation, that's different but the quality of the final ball is shocking. Compare this with Cesc and how he feeds Costa. We are creating zero chances and it doesn't matter whether we had Messi and CR7 up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.