5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Pretty much nail on head for me. If we can massively reduce the Transfer fee to around 15million or so i'd probably do the deal, But I wouldn't pay over £20million that's for sure as it is still a gamble even for next season and it will depend on how LVG is wanting to play formation wise to.
What's the justification for paying £15m for a player who isn't good enough for us?

JoaquinJoaquin

What's the justification for paying £15m for a player who isn't good enough for us?
Well it's not exactly set in stone that he isn't good enough for us though. He has struggled which everyone has seen but like psuedo's post describes it may be just that it will take some adaptation time and that he may in fact be better next season once he has a pre-season behind him and more importantly a bit of self confidence. If he stays with us and grabs goals in the pre-season tour then that could be the catalyst for a much better season next year. But there are alot of 'if's and but's' with him which is why I wouldn't pay anymore then £15million for him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
In view of the possibility that he may recover from his injury, its worth the punt. Its not like he has no track record and by all accounts, he isnt some big time charlie in the dressing room either.

Jaap Stam took a couple of years to recover much to the regret of Fergie.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'll be honest, if we were offered Falcao for £15million, I'd take it. Risky? Most definitely. But I'm sure he'll get back to World Class form one day, and maybe it'll happen next season. It's a risk that I personally would be willing to make for £15million. The player Falcao can be is worth treble that, and maybe more.

I know I'm talking foolishness, and it's all hypothetical of course because I doubt we'd be offered to part £15million for him - but meh.

settembrini

I think Monacco would accept virtually anything they can get for Falcao.

However Falcao himself will want the same sort of massive wage that he is on right now and there's just no way that makes sense for us. I mean he's one of our biggest earners whilst being one of our least important player. He's the anti-De Gea.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well it's not exactly set in stone that he isn't good enough for us though. He has struggled which everyone has seen but like psuedo's post describes it may be just that it will take some adaptation time and that he may in fact be better next season once he has a pre-season behind him and more importantly a bit of self confidence. If he stays with us and grabs goals in the pre-season tour then that could be the catalyst for a much better season next year. But there are alot of 'if's and but's' with him which is why I wouldn't pay anymore then £15million for him.
A nearly 30 year old striker, who came to the EPL for all the wrong reasons, the expectations to perform are pretty high (and so is his salary) and he lack pace. That's a recipe for a disaster. Reminds me alot of good old Sheva.

devilish

I'll be honest, if we were offered Falcao for £15million, I'd take it. Risky? Most definitely. But I'm sure he'll get back to World Class form one day, and maybe it'll happen next season. It's a risk that I personally would be willing to make for £15million. The player Falcao can be is worth treble that, and maybe more.

I know I'm talking foolishness, and it's all hypothetical of course because I doubt we'd be offered to part £15million for him - but meh.
Why would we? He's 29 and his legs are gone. His biggest issue is that he's god damn slow and that not something you regain with time (actually things get worse). The amount of love people tend to have for finished players in here is amazing. Ando, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Falcao...jeez thank god redcafe is not running a glue factory else we would have gone bankrupt by now.

If we want to keep a poacher than we might as well insist on Hernandez. After all chicarito is younger, faster and he's on less salary.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Why would we? He's 29 and his legs are gone. His biggest issue is that he's god damn slow and that not something you regain with time (actually things get worse). The amount of love people tend to have for finished players in here is amazing. Ando, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Falcao...jeez thank god redcafe is not running a glue factory else we would have gone bankrupt by now.

If we want to keep a poacher than we might as well insist on Hernandez. After all chicarito is younger, faster and he's on less salary.
Maybe I'm completely wrong with this, but has he ever really relied much on pace? I thought he was a fast player when he joined, but someone corrected me when we signed him that he's actually not that quick.

It's shocking for a player to just lose your quality over night, as he did. Torres is an example - but I can't think of another example personally. I do think it's a matter of confidence, which is something he just doesn't have at the moment. The chance he missed against Chelsea - created the space and when 1v1 with Courtouis, he just sliced it completely.

As I said, £15million is as far as I'd go. But I also said, I'm probably 100% wrong and if it wasn't a hypothetical situation and we were actually offered such a deal, I may not think this.

devilish

Maybe I'm completely wrong with this, but has he ever really relied much on pace? I thought he was a fast player when he joined, but someone corrected me when we signed him that he's actually not that quick.

It's shocking for a player to just lose your quality over night, as he did. Torres is an example - but I can't think of another example personally. I do think it's a matter of confidence, which is something he just doesn't have at the moment. The chance he missed against Chelsea - created the space and when 1v1 with Courtouis, he just sliced it completely.

As I said, £15million is as far as I'd go. But I also said, I'm probably 100% wrong and if it wasn't a hypothetical situation and we were actually offered such a deal, I may not think this.
It could be a mental or a physical thing. However it would be stupid to try our luck with a player whose 29, he's on a ridiculous amount of salary and has been horrible this season expecially since we've already got 2 big names upfront at the same age.

We need to stop acting like some nursing or retirement home. If a player is not good enough than he leaves. I am sure that they have gained enough money through their career not to end up living under a bridge.

Shark

@NotShark
I wouldn't take him for any fee, he's either horribly unsuited to the league, or completely shot. We'd be much better off investing time and money in younger talent.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't take him for any fee, he's either horribly unsuited to the league, or completely shot. We'd be much better off investing time and money in younger talent.
Not sure if he's unsuitable for the Prem. His problem seems related to a combination of having come off a major injury and nearing 30. If it were just one and not both, he would be more effective.

Amir

With Rooney and Van Persie, we don't need another striker of that sort of age. We need a younger one. If he was a success, fine. He's not, time to move on. The price doesn't matter any more, really.

Verminator

£15 million per year in wages for a striker who doesn't score or assist (after a year on trial), going into his 30's, on the back of a serious serious injury?
Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

It was worth the initial gamble. Time to put our eggs in a different basket.

Roman Bellic

Prick
£15 million per year in wages for a striker who doesn't score or assist (after a year on trial), going into his 30's, on the back of a serious serious injury?
Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

It was worth the initial gamble. Time to put our eggs in a different basket.
I agree, I don't see the point in signing a player in his 30s who hasnt done anything to impress on his loan deal, we expected a 20 goal season, 15 goals would have been cool, 10 goals probably have been worth the gamble...heck even 7, he has struggled to get 5 all season, it's time to move on.... If he ends up scoring 50 goals next season for another team then kudos to him.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'd rather have Danny Ings than Falcao.

That sentence is not one I ever thought I'd type.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In view of the possibility that he may recover from his injury, its worth the punt. Its not like he has no track record and by all accounts, he isnt some big time charlie in the dressing room either.

Jaap Stam took a couple of years to recover much to the regret of Fergie.
He hasn't done anything to suggest that he'll get back to his top form. We could as well sign a 35-year old (FFS, time flies) Ronaldinho and hope he gets back to his former self. Or a 33-year old (he cannot possibly be that age?) Kaka.

Verminator

I agree, I don't see the point in signing a player in his 30s who hasnt done anything to impress on his loan deal, we expected a 20 goal season, 15 goals would have been cool, 10 goals probably have been worth the gamble...heck even 7, he has struggled to get 5 all season, it's time to move on.... If he ends up scoring 50 goals next season for another team then kudos to him.
I so wanted it to work out, but it hasn't, and likely wouldn't in future.

Don't know why I wrote "serious" twice. Maybe it was even worse than we thought. :lol:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Probably worth remembering that before he degraded to something barely resembling a footballer post Jan, he looked fairly decent in the first few months of the season. Nothing special but there was certainly something to work with and signs of his old self.

That said, I saw no point of signing him in the summer and even less point now, even for 15m. If we didn't have Rooney or RVP it might have been worth it but 2 30yrs+ strikers is more than enough I guess.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If he'd spent this season at Liverpool rather than with us we'd all be laughing our bollocks off and nobody would be suggesting we go in for him, even at £15m.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
How many pages can we possibly fill will different variations on "do not want"?

I'm going for at least another 15.

Roman Bellic

Prick
If he'd spent this season at Liverpool rather than with us we'd all be laughing our bollocks off and nobody would be suggesting we go in for him, even at £15m.
Balotelli comes to mind and he has been better than Falcao

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
How many pages can we possibly fill will different variations on "do not want"?

I'm going for at least another 15.
problem is there are actually people here who want to keep him, which is madness. under no circumstances should he be here next season no matter what. not even as a volunteer groundsman.

Roboc7

Surely he wouldn't even want to sign for us, he can't get in the team, the way we play doesn't suit him, neither does the league, money is the only reason for him join which is the same reason he joined Monaco. A free transfer with his wages halved or a loan deal with wages halved would still be a gamble for this guy, talk of 15-20m let alone 40m is crazy.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
problem is there are actually people here who want to keep him, which is madness. under no circumstances should he be here next season no matter what. not even as a volunteer groundsman.
:lol:

MoskvaRed

Having an exotic name and a Spanish nickname seems to go a long way with some people. Nearly 30, a very serious injury, horrible form and very evident flaws in his game in terms of technique and physicality. You would think twice about signing a former ballon d'or winner in such circumstances, let alone a player with very little experience of the Champions League or title run ins in a major league.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It boggles the mind that any Man Utd fan would want a player like Falcao's current ability at our club.
4 goals in (approximately) half a season is dire.
For next year's title challenge we need a striker who can score at least 15 goals...preferably 20+ goals in a season and this guy is not it.
Every time Falcao is on the pitch, I think to myself, "we are now a man down and we will not score any more goals" and sure enough no more goals are scored.
Its been so long since he scored, I actually can't remember when he last scored.

Here's a breakdown:
4 goals scored in a season, where Costa, Kane and Aguero have 19+. Charlie Austin (who?) has scored 17.
29 years old (so likely to degrade in performance, due to age)
Has showed World class level of skill (that touch against Sunderland), only once this season.
His team-mates generally do not want to pass to him.
If he is signed, he will be working alongside Rooney and RVP, who are also in their 30s and who are both better than him. We dont need another old striker.
His wages are sky high, making him one of the highest paid footballers in the World.
He lacks a track record of performing well in the Champions League.
He was regarded as one of the best strikers on the planet, 2 years ago, which is a long time in football.
He recently played in the U21s and was subbed off due to poor performance.
He has repeatedly demonstrated that he struggles to stay on his feet - ie. he easily goes to ground without any contact. This was demonstrated most recently against Chelsea.
It is questionable whether or not he is able to play well in the EPL - the style of the EPL may not suit him.

In general, due to his age, his pace/acceleration is likely to degrade with age, not improve.
I also want to remind fans that we are not a (small) club where players come to us to recuperate, improve form and then get sold to a big club. We ARE the big club. We can afford to buy the best strikers,

So, given the above, why would we even consider Falcao (unless on a free transfer and pay as you play contract)?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Having an exotic name and a Spanish nickname seems to go a long way with some people. Nearly 30, a very serious injury, horrible form and very evident flaws in his game in terms of technique and physicality. You would think twice about signing a former ballon d'or winner in such circumstances, let alone a player with very little experience of the Champions League or title run ins in a major league.
No it's just some people have common sense. This is no different to the knee jerking towards Fellaini and others. The guy missed a pre season with us. He came into a very poor team and because of the competition in the squad, he's obviously felt the pressure. You might not think we will sign him but that's irrelevant. It's when the player starts thinking it, that you get a problem. You need to balance these things out but you clearly haven't if you think people are biased because of his name. RVP is a big name too as is Rooney but I bet you won't find one person who would think we need all three next season.

Sunama that's true but RVP's figures are down so he must be on the decline right? Why would he do a pay as you play? He's had one injury I think during the season. He's mostly sat out because of us switching players. Everyone knows for Falcao to get in, he will have to dislodge Rooney. Rooney is Lvg's captain, so he's not really got much chance. People look at Tevez and go, "Gee, wonder why he couldn't do it at United?" - it's because he knew he was second choice too Rooney and then we bought Berbatov. Don't underestimate the fact that the guy probably knows he's got little chance staying here.

MoskvaRed

No it's just some people have common sense. This is no different to the knee jerking towards Fellaini and others. The guy missed a pre season with us. He came into a very poor team and because of the competition in the squad, he's obviously felt the pressure. You might not think we will sign him but that's irrelevant. It's when the player starts thinking it, that you get a problem. You need to balance these things out but you clearly haven't if you think people are biased because of his name. RVP is a big name too as is Rooney but I bet you won't find one person who would think we need all three next season
It's not like Fellaini. At Falcao's age and superstar wages, you can't give him a 12-18 month bedding in period. It's all about the here and now and, unfortunately, he has been way below the standard expected at United. "Common sense" does not dictate spending a fortune on an ageing, injury depleted striker who had made his reputation at clubs a level below United.

Zoo

Clearest indication yet that we won't be signing him:

“Falcao has been given the chance to be in the team this season.

“You can say he is unlucky – he has the quality to play. I like him and the way he played against Chelsea last week. He was unlucky he didn’t score.

“I like Falcao as a human being, just as I like Danny Welbeck and Chicharito - they are always professional.

“But when you are not in the team for season after season, there comes a time when you need a challenge.

“That’s why I have said goodbye to Welbeck and Chicharito.

“And now I have to talk with Falcao."
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...news/falcao-been-given-chance-insists-9120311

Boycott

You know your time is up when they have to bring out the "he's a good person" card to throw some positives out there.

ZDwyr

You know your time is up when they have to bring out the "he's a good person" card to throw some positives out there.
:lol: very true. Or people here saying the he isn't the kind to rock the boat in the dressing room. I'll take 300k a week to not rock the boat in the United dressing room.

JoaquinJoaquin

Seems strange that the MEN are the only ones running these quotes, and they are not the most reliable. Saying that though seems a big quote to make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.